Wolves hit out as FA reject Milijas appeal but Wigan”s Sammon wins challenge
Wolves have launched a scathing attack on the FA after losing their appeal against Nenad Milijas’s red card for a foul on Arsenal midfielder Mikel Arteta.
While relegation rivals Wigan heaved a sigh of relief at successfully challenging striker Conor Sammon’s sending-off against Manchester United, Wolves bosses reacted angrily to the panel’s verdict on Milijas and accused referee Stuart Attwell of inconsistency during the 1-1 draw at The Emirates.
Manager Mick McCarthy will have his say at a press conference on Friday ahead of Saturday’s game at Bolton, but club secretary Richard Skirrow underlined the sense of dismay within Molineux at confirmation that their Serbia midfielder must serve a three-match ban.
Impact: Nenad Milijas is shown a straight red card for his tackle on Mikel Arteta
‘We are hugely disappointed,’ he said. ‘From the video evidence, we strongly believed we had very good grounds for appeal, and this was an opinion that seemed to be shared by a lot of people. Our view that the dismissal and three-match ban would be hugely disproportionate to the alleged offence was reinforced by other incidents in the game.
‘However, despite highlighting the inconsistency and harshness of Nenad’s dismissal, we have been told it was not deemed to be an obvious and serious error and, therefore, the decision and resulting punishment stands.
‘In our view, it was not serious foul play. Prior to Tuesday, Nenad had only six cautions in English football and no suspensions. As a club, we are not serial appealers of red cards. On further reflection, “disappointed” doesn’t seem to do justice to the feelings of everyone at the club.’
You”re off: Attwell flashes the red card to Milijas as Wolves dispute the decision
Sammon is available for Wigan’s game at Stoke on Friday, after it was deemed referee Phil Dowd had been wrongto dismiss him for an aerial challenge that left United midfielder Michael Carrick holding his face.
Wigan boss Roberto Martinez welcomed his 24-year old Irish striker’s reprieve. ‘We thank the panel for their decision, which is the correct one,’ he said.
‘It would have been really unfair forConor to have that frustrating feeling he had on Monday for another three games after doing nothing wrong.’