Chelsea seek to crank up title pressure after Moses deal takes summer spending past 80m
17:03 GMT, 25 August 2012
Chelsea may have taken their summer
spending past the 80million mark but manager Roberto Di Matteo claimed
his spectacular transfer spree has not put him under added pressure.
Chelsea sealed the 7m capture of
Spanish right back Cesar Azpilicueta, 22, from Marseille on Friday and
finalised the 9m transfer of Wigan forward Victor Moses after he passed
New recruit: Victor Moses with his Chelsea shirt after completing his move
The European champions admitted in a statement that the 21-year-old’s display against them last week had impressed and he was unveiled before the Newcastle match on Saturday.
The Moses deal takes Chelsea’s spending just past 80m — owner Roman Abramovich’s biggest outlay in a single transfer window since he sanctioned a 112m spree in 2003, his first summer in charge.
Di Matteo said: ‘I already have enough pressure. I think the pressure is always there, new signings or not.’
Chelsea have spent more than any other Premier League club this summer but Di Matteo insisted champions Manchester City and runners-up Manchester United remain the favourites for the title.
Audition: Wigan forward Victor Moses (left) in action against Chelsea last Sunday
He said: ‘We need to make up 25 points and I don’t think any team have done that in the history of the Premier League. They are still the two teams you need to beat.’
Meanwhile, Chelsea’s hopes of
off-loading Florent Malouda are being scuppered by the midfielder’s wage
demands. He is in the last year of his 70,000-a-week contract and has
been told he can leave Stamford Bridge by Di Matteo but he does not want
to take a pay cut.
The 32-year-old has attracted interest from Brazil but no clubs are
willing to meet his current wages, leaving the Frenchman in limbo ahead
of the close of the transfer window next Friday.
Transfer saga: Moses' protracted move has rumbled on for most of the summer
Malouda knows he could possibly earn a lucrative free transfer when his contract expires next season.
However, Malouda, who has not featured in Chelsea’s opening two
fixtures, is facing up to an entire season on the sidelines if he digs
his heels in to stay.
Di Matteo also insisted defender David Luiz, 25, was not for sale at any
price and claimed Chelsea are big enough and successful enough to keep
him after Barcelona were rumoured to be interested.