Wenger issues plea to keep Walcott as Liverpool and Chelsea plot January swoop
22:30 GMT, 19 November 2012
Arsene Wenger will make a personal recommendation to the Arsenal board to improve Theo Walcott's contract offer in an attempt to end the uncertainty over his future.
Arsenal chiefs previously told the England international they were unwilling to increase their original 75,000-per-week offer, which was rejected by Walcott in August.
On target: Walcott scored in the 5-2 drubbing of Tottenham on Saturday
But Sportsmail understands the Gunners' stance on the issue has softened in recent weeks, with the club now willing to reach a compromise with the forward.
It is believed both parties feel an offer of between 80,000 – 85,000-per-week will be enough to secure Walcott's long-term future.
The former Southampton forward has told Wenger he wants to stay at the Emirates but made it clear he wants a contract closer to 100,000-per-week.
And Wenger, who has been highly-impressed by Walcott's displays in recent weeks, will tell the club's hierarchy to up their existing offer and hopes his personal intervention will help resolve the issue when the player's representatives meet with Gunners officials for a second round of formal talks.
Wanted: Chelsea and Liverpool are both considering moves in January
The club want his future resolved by the end of December.
Liverpool and Chelsea are plotting January moves for Walcott, while Manchester City want to sign him on a free transfer next summer.
Meanwhile, the Gunners are close to agreeing a new five-year contract with left-back Kieran Gibbs.