Farah and Co can push TV Superstars to a longer run
22:35 GMT, 22 December 2012
23:02 GMT, 22 December 2012
The BBC hope their festive Olympic
Superstars show will lead to a longer-term revival of the hit programme
of the 1970s and 1980s – although one of the London 2012 athletes who
features in the Christmas special jokes that he will be hiding in
embarrassment when it is screened.
Superstars became a family favourite
as top sportsmen from Formula One's James Hunt to judo star Brian Jacks
took part and through famous moments such as Kevin Keegan crashing his
Paddle power: Mo Farah has fun in the kayak head-to-head with Peter Wilson
The Olympic special, to be screened next
Saturday evening, pits 16 heroes from London 2012 against each other –
from double gold-winning runner Mo Farah to boxing's Nicola Adams and
Anthony Joshua, triathlon's Brownlee brothers, rower Kath Grainger and
equestrian pin-up Laura Bechtolsheimer among others.
More from Nick Harris…
Nick Harris: Beckham in talks over ownership of MLS club
Nick Harris: Europe to fight winter World Cup plans
Nick Harris: 5.5bn – The staggering sum TV companies around the world will pay to screen the Premier League
Nick Harris: 2012 heroes miss out on Christmas books bonanza
Nick Harris: Another blow for Wiggins as his throne fails to sell
Nick Harris: Olympic chiefs told athletes to cash in and charge 10,000 for appearances
Nick Harris: United to top rich league again with half a billion
Nick Harris: 1.3m Olympic 'freebies' to blame for those empty seats
VIEW FULL ARCHIVE
Peter Wilson, who won shooting gold in
the double trap, said: 'Once it's screened, I'm never going to live down
how bad I was! I'll probably buy myself a one-way ticket to Timbuktu to
avoid the embarrassment.'
Wilson says that for 'must watch TV', fans should tune in for the kayak head-to-head between himself and Farah.
'The two worst kayakers against each other,' he said.
'I went out like a dingbat and ended up against the wall and Mo went the wrong way, about 18 times, then capsized.'
In other events, Wilson reveals, 'me and the javelin did not see eye to eye and the 800 metres was so tough it felt like my lungs were bleeding. My sport is all about standing still and I was up against these supreme athletes like the Brownlees, Robbie Grabarz and Anthony Joshua.'
The BBC paid the competitors undisclosed fees for taking part. 'But it wasn't about the money, it was great fun to do, even if it won't be for me to watch it,' said Wilson.
The show's main presenter, Gabby Logan, confirmed that the BBC want further shows.
'Hopefully, we're trying to do another one so we want contestants to tell their friends that they all had a great time and keep the calibre of the guests really high profile,' she said.
'This will stand the show in good stead to hopefully re-establish Superstars again. I think it would be great to mix Olympians up with other sportspeople – rugby, footballers and cricketers. That would be the nub of it.'
Selling: Carl Hester open to offers
Hester still a seller
Olympic dressage gold medallist Carl Hester is still hopeful of selling wonder horse Valegro, despite dismissing reports that a Saudi prince wanted to buy the gelding for 20million as 'complete and utter fantasy'.
Hester joked that he 'spotted a few billionaires' watching as Charlotte Dujardin triumphed again on Valegro at Olympia last week.
He says he remains hopeful of 'developments in the New Year' and would be open to British investors securing the horse for Dujardin, who won two gold medals on him at London 2012, to ride towards Rio in four years' time.
Leeds fans urge new owners to reveal details of 17m takeover
Leeds United supporters have greeted the takeover of their club by the Dubaibased GFH Capital with cautious optimism but say they want more details about the new owners' finances, background and plans.
GFHC now own 100 per cent of Leeds in a takeover that sources say cost 17million up front to buy out chairman Ken Bates and other shareholders, and will cost a further 17m when Leeds win promotion. GFHC and Leeds have declined to confirm any financial details.
Bates was unpopular with some fans but will remain as chairman until the end of this season and then become president.
Neither GFHC nor Leeds have said whether he will be paid for those roles.
End of an era: Ken Bates
Dan Moylan, of the Square Ball fanzine, said: 'On the one hand I'm happy because, to all intents and purposes, it's the end of Ken Bates's tenure and the new owners are saying all the right things. On the other hand we now need the new owners to flesh out their plans with hard detail and tell us what the plan is in a year, two years, three years. They say they want Leeds to be sustainable. How will that happen'
The takeover does not include GFHC buying Leeds's Elland Road stadium or the Thorp Arch training ground, both of which are owned by unknown parties through an offshore firm in the Caribbean.
John Boocock, founder of the Leeds List group, the oldest online community of Leeds fans, which started in 1996, said: 'We want to know where the cash to buy the club came from, why the company that controls the club will not be registered in Britain where we can examine the accounts, but in the Cayman Islands, and what money precisely will be available in January.
'We weren't too impressed by the claim that the squad is good enough when we get players back from injury.'
Gary Cooper, head of the Leeds United Supporters Trust, said: 'The new owners did well in saying they want to work with the fans and the community and a lot of the supporter base will buy into that.
'We're led to believe we'll get the chance soon to meet the owners and we hope we will be able to get answers to all our outstanding questions.'
Asked for further details about the GFHC takeover, a Leeds spokesman told Inside Sport: 'The new owners answered all the questions they were asked at their press conference and won't be answering any more.'