Tag Archives: viable

Robin van Persie transfer: Sir Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger hold talks

Exclusive: Ferguson makes RVP peace call to rival Wenger over United's move for ace

|

UPDATED:

21:45 GMT, 13 August 2012

Sir Alex Ferguson has held private discussions with Arsene Wenger over Manchester United's attempts to complete a dramatic swoop for Robin van Persie.

And Sportsmail understands Arsenal are expecting an improved offer following personal contact between the two managers which took place recently.

In the air: Van Persie trained with Holland on Monday uncertain which club he'll be playing for this term

In the air: Van Persie trained with Holland on Monday uncertain which club he'll be playing for this term

Fantasy football 2012

Sources say that a deal to take the Arsenal captain, who got 30 goals to win the golden boot last season, to Old Trafford could be completed by the time the season kicks off this weekend.

It is understood the Arsenal manager repeated his insistence to Ferguson the 29-year-old would not be allowed to leave for United for a penny under 30million – but the Gunners will listen to offers starting at 20million with add ons.

Ferguson's personal intervention into the proposed deal to sign Van Persie underlines the club's determination to land the Holland international.

Moving on: RVP made his first appearance for Arsenal in pre-season on Sunday replacing new signing Podolski

Moving on: RVP made his first appearance for Arsenal in pre-season on Sunday replacing new signing Podolski

However, the Old Trafford club would not be willing to meet Arsenal's inflated asking price, placing serious doubt over the protracted move.

The Gunners are willing to listen to offers starting at 20million, but Wenger is desperate not to sell his talisman to a Premier League rival – hence the sky-high price quote.

United were quoted 30million during initial talks between the two Premier League heavyweights earlier in the summer and it seems Arsenal's stance has not changed despite Ferguson's private chat with Wenger.

Not committed: Van Persie has signalled his desire to leave the Emirates this summer

Not committed: Van Persie has signalled his desire to leave the Emirates this summer

A shock move to Old Trafford now seems the only viable option for Van Persie in his attempts to leave the Emirates Stadium this summer after Manchester City and Juventus both stalled on their interest.

And it seems Wenger is facing a fight to keep hold of another one of his stars after Alex Song said Barcelona are interested in signing him.

The Spanish giants are huge admirers of the Cameroon midfielder, identifying him as a potential target.

Arsene Wenger

Sir Alex Ferguson

Crunch talks: Wenger and Ferguson have held discussions over Van Persie's future

Sources in Spain have indicated that Barca will attempt to open talks with the Gunners this week.

And when asked about interest from Barcelona, Song said yesterday: 'I am not going to lie if I said there is no interest, but I am at Arsenal and I am happy at Arsenal.

'Barcelona are the best team in the world, and speculation will always continue until the window closes.'

The La Liga club's interest in Song is another unwanted headache for Wenger in the build up to new season – though the club are growing increasingly confident of signing Theo Walcott to a new contract.

Meanwhile, the ankle injury that has ruled Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain out of England's clash against Italy is not understood to be serious.

The midfielder withdrew from Roy Hodgson's squad yesterday, but his removal is precautionary. Gunners winger Ryo Miyaichi has joined Wigan on a season-long loan.

Lukas Podolski and Olivier Giroud give Arsenal impressive attacking options

Podolski and Giroud moves give Wenger impressive attacking options… even if RVP leaves

|

UPDATED:

00:13 GMT, 20 June 2012

Before the summer began, Arsenal were in a slightly uncomfortable situation regarding their strikers.

With Robin van Persie's future still undecided, there was a worrying prospect that the Gunners would be relying more on out-of-favour Marouane Chamakh and Park Chu-young going into the new campaign.

But even with austerity in vogue, not even one of the most prudent managers in the game in Arsene Wenger could stomach that prospect.

Gunner get ya! Arsenal's ranks will be boosted by Podolski and Giroud next term

Gunner get ya! Arsenal's ranks will be boosted by Podolski and Giroud next term

Gunner get ya! Arsenal's ranks will be boosted by Podolski and Giroud next term

The Arsenal manager has this year avoided the last day madness of the transfer window to impressively get his main deals done before July and give the north London side not just promise but viable options in attack next season.

It has come at the cost of 23.8million but the signings of Lukas Podolski from Cologne and Olivier Giroud from Montpellier has addressed the lack of strikers and could now give them a shot at the title.

Much is already known about Podolski. The 27-year-old was part of the German squad that ripped apart England 4-1 at the last World Cup – even scoring in the process.

VIDEO: Enjoy Giroud's goals and assists from last season

But the Poland-born striker has been on Europe’s radar for eight years where his impressive strike rate for Cologne led to a move to Bayern Munich before the 2006 World Cup.

Partnering Miroslav Klose in attack, he scored three goals during the tournament and hasn't looked back. Podolski has since gone on to win 100 caps for his country and become a major staple in Joachim Low's side.

Domestic form however has declined. The goals dried up at Munich and despite improving on his return to Cologne in 2009 he couldn’t prevent the side getting relegated from the Bundesliga last season – despite scoring 18 goals.

VIDEO: A selection of Podolski's best goals from last term

But having also found success playing on the wing, Podolski will shine at Arsenal. His strengths in being able to play across the front line, make clever runs on and off the ball and keep a cool head when finishing inside the area are sure to make him a seamless fit into the Gunners' counter attacking style of play.

Less is known about the man he may just be partnering at the Emirates Stadium on a regular basis. While Podolski was scoring goals in vain to avoid relegation, Giroud was netting in style to hand Montpellier their first ever top flight French title.

The 25-year-old top-scored with 21 goals during the campaign and may well just be the 'fox in the box' that Wenger didn’t get with the flop signing of Franny Jeffers from Everton 11 years ago.

VIDEO: Podolski's finest strikes for Germany

The Frenchman is much more the finished article than Jeffers was but the concern is it is only in the past year he has been scoring on a regular basis at the top level.

A modest 12 goals were netted the previous season after an admittedly impressive final year at Tours where he struck 21 times for the second division French side in 2009-10.

But there is more to suggest that Giroud isn’t just a one-season wonder. His inclusion into a strong French squad for Euro 2012 underlines that.

It is unlikely he is going to be featured in many goal-of-the-month montages for a wonder strike from 30 yards, but the sight of Giroud peeling off a defender to make space and score from anywhere 20 yards from goal is likely to be a common feature next term.

Stretch the imagination: Both the new arrivals can entertain the Arsenal fans

Stretch the imagination: Both the new arrivals can entertain the Arsenal fans

Stretch the imagination: Both the new arrivals can entertain the Arsenal fans

So how will the duo fit in Podolski should have little problem finding a space in the side. He is likely to play on the left flank in place of the inconsistent Gervinho to support Van Persie, with Theo Walcott on the other wing.

That leaves no place for Giroud unless Wenger switches to a 4-4-2. Podolski and Walcott would stay on the flanks with the Frenchman partnering Van Persie up top.

Aaron Ramsey would make way with two of Mikel Arteta, Jack Wilshere and Alex Song filling the midfield.

But it would be a slight risk to switch to the latter shape, especially with Van Persie finding form in the lone role by scoring 37 goals last term.

So will Giroud start on the bench, be wedged into a 4-4-2, or be the lone striker in attack due to Van Persie agreeing a move to another club

All will be revealed when Arsenal host Sunderland to start the new Premier League campaign on August 18. Either way, the Gunners look to have covered all their bases in attack.

London calling: Van Persie's tournament is over... and now must decide his Arsenal future

London calling: Van Persie's tournament is over… and now must decide his Arsenal future

FIFA could eject Rangers

FIFA may yet act to eject Rangers: Governing body monitoring SFA action

|

UPDATED:

23:32 GMT, 29 May 2012

FIFA warned the SFA it will monitor what action is taken against Rangers after the Ibrox club successfully challenged their transfer embargo at the Court of Session.

And there were fears that a spiralling situation could ultimately end with Rangers having their SFA membership terminated — or FIFA handing down a ban on Scottish clubs entering European competition and Scotland playing internationals.

A new dimension to the already complicated and fraught situation at Ibrox began when a judge ruled that an SFA Judicial Panel did not have the power to impose a 12-month registration ban after finding the club guilty of disrepute charges.

Dark times: FIFA are keeping an eye on the situation at Rangers

Dark times: FIFA are keeping an eye on the situation at Rangers

Lord Glennie referred the case back to an SFA Appeals Tribunal and stated the available sanctions were a maximum 100,000 fine, a ban from the Scottish Cup, a suspension or expulsion from participation in the game and termination of SFA membership.

That was met with dismay by some Hampden insiders, who believe they may now be backed into a corner where terminating Rangers’ membership — a measure rejected after consideration as too harsh by the original Judicial Panel — becomes a viable option.

The decision of Duff & Phelps to take the matter to the civil courts threatens to have even wider consequences, as FIFA statutes specifically prohibit such a move and insist that clubs who do so are punished by their national association.

Last December, the failure of the Swiss FA to sufficiently sanction Sion for persistently trawling their transfer embargo through the courts led FIFA to threaten a blanket suspension of the Swiss national side and its clubs from international competition. Sion were eventually deducted 36 points in their domestic league to head off the doomsday punishment.

Unhappy ending: Rangers finished the season 20 points behind rivals Celtic

Unhappy ending: Rangers finished the season 20 points behind rivals Celtic

A statement from FIFA, issued just before Tuesday’s verdict, said: ‘We have not received any communication from the Scottish FA.

‘In such a case, FIFA will ask the member association to take action so that the club withdraws its request from the ordinary courts. As a general rule, in case a club is seeking redress in front of ordinary court, as mentioned above, the member association shall take direct action in order to safeguard the principle laid down in article 64 paragraph 2 of FIFA Statutes, which shall be, in view of article 64 paragraph 3, incorporated in the member associations’ statutes.

‘FIFA will closely monitor the situation so that the issue is resolved as fast as possible.’

Dark days: The Ibrox men are facing an uncertain future

Dark days: The Ibrox men are facing an uncertain future

The SFA issued a statement in response to the court outcome, saying: ‘We are surprised by today’s verdict at the Court of Session, especially since the original sanction against Rangers FC was imposed by an independent panel chaired by a leading QC (Gary Allan) and upheld by an Appellate Tribunal chaired by a Supreme Court Judge (Lord Carloway). We will now consider our position with our legal advisers before making any further comment.’

Lord Glennie rejected an argument from the SFA’s counsel, Aiden O’Neill QC, that the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) was the correct venue for deciding on the dispute, as laid down by FIFA. Richard Keen QC, acting for Rangers, argued there was no route within the SFA’s rules for the matter to go to CAS.

Asked last night whether Rangers had sought clarity about whether they could go to CAS, joint-administrator Paul Clark said: ‘I know that discussions took place between our solicitors and the SFA. I don’t know whether that specific issue was discussed.’

Appeal: Rangers manager Ally McCoist

Appeal: Rangers manager Ally McCoist

The SFA have three weeks to appeal, although Dan Chapman, of Full Contact Law, told Sportsmail they could simply refuse to recognise the verdict.

Chapman predicted it would lead to Rangers being expelled from the Scottish game if the Ibrox club then tried to impose the ruling on the SFA.

Clark, however, hailed the judgment, saying: ‘The costs for this legal action have been awarded against the SFA and it is our position it is very regrettable that court action was required.’

‘Both we, and the SFA, will have to study the full ramifications of the judgment when it is published and either side has 21 days in which to decide the next course of action or whether they wish to appeal.’

Corinthians return for Carlos Tevez after sacking Adriano

Corinthian re-enter race to sign Tevez after sacking former Brazil striker Adriano

|

UPDATED:

09:18 GMT, 13 March 2012

Corinthians are considering a fresh bid for Carlos Tevez after cancelling Brazil striker Adriano's contract.

The Brazilian club tried to sign their former striker from Manchester City last summer and promised to look a deal again if Tevez had not found a new club by the end of the January transfer window in Europe.

Adriano, 30, has left Corinthians by mutual consent after just seven senior appearances and two goals in a year-long spell that has been dogged by injury and controversy.

Back in the hunt: Corinthians are ready to reignite their interest in Carlos Tevez

Back in the hunt: Corinthians are ready to reignite their interest in Carlos Tevez

The Sao Paulo club's director of football Roberto de Andrade admits that signing the former Inter Milan striker was a gamble that didn't pay off, but he has promised that another big name will come in.

'We will sit down and talk,' said Andrade.

'Without doubt, we will go after another quality player. The Corinthians fans can rest assured that we will strengthen the Corinthians team.'

Reviving the bid for Tevez has regularly been discussed, with the club believing a loan deal till the end of July would be the most viable option.

Axed: Corinthians cancelled former Inter Milan and Brazil striker Adriano's contract

Axed: Corinthians cancelled former Inter Milan and Brazil striker Adriano's contract

Matt Fortune

However, City have rejected all previous approaches from clubs wanting Tevez on loan and the Argentina striker is now back in Manchester, seemingly set to play for the club in their Barclays Premier League title run-in.

Corinthians are also keen on Villarreal striker Nilmar, but the Brazil international has regained his place at the Spanish club in recent weeks.