Tag Archives: vazquez

Ricky Burns fights Jose Gonzalez May 11 Glasgow

Scotsman Burns to defend world title against unbeaten Gonzalez in Glasgow

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

12:04 GMT, 26 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

12:19 GMT, 26 March 2013

Ricky Burns will defend his WBO lightweight world title against Jose Gonzalez at the Emirates Arena in Glasgow on May 11.

The Scot, who recently defected from Frank Warren to rival promoter Eddie Hearn, has been out of action since beating Kevin Mitchell last September.

Burns, 29, had been due to face IBF champion Miguel Vazquez in London before switching promoters.

On home soil: Ricky Burns will defend his world title in Glasgow in May

On home soil: Ricky Burns will defend his world title in Glasgow in May

Burns had little choice but to face Gonzalez after the WBO threatened to strip him of the title if he looked elsewhere.

The governing body set a deadline of midnight last night and Eddie Hearn and Gonzalez’s promoter Peter Rivera agreed terms and contracts were signed.

'I’m really looking forward to May 11,' said Burns. 'He’s a big puncher with a great KO record, but I’ve been in with big punchers before and that doesn’t worry me in the slightest. It’s great to have the date and name sorted now so I can just focus on getting myself in great shape for a big night in Glasgow.'

Gonzalez, 29, has won all 22 of his professional contests, with 17 coming inside the distance.

'I'm very glad for this opportunity and it’s a dream come true fighting for the world tittle as the mandatory challenge,' he said. 'I'm not worried about fighting in Burns’ homeland. I'm preparing greatly for this fight and I'm sure I will bring the world title to my country.'

Hearn added: 'It’s been a tough few days and we’ve had plenty of obstacles to overcome, but I’m delighted to bring Jose Gonzalez to Glasgow for what I feel will be the beginning of a new era for Scottish boxing.

'Gonzalez is ranked No 1 in the world, undefeated and comes with a dangerous reputation. It’s imperative that we deal with our mandatory challenger to pave the way for big unification clashes but I believe Ricky will face his toughest test yet on May 11.

'We need the support of all the Scottish people as we begin a new journey and cannot wait to raise the roof of the stunning new Emirates Arena.'

Ricky Burns leaves Frank Warren

Burns continues Warren exodus as world champion 'quits' following Vazquez delay

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

09:54 GMT, 7 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:14 GMT, 7 March 2013

Ricky Burns has reportedly become the latest boxer to leave promoter Frank Warren.

The Scottish world lightweight champion has become increasingly frustrated after his unification fight with Miguel Vazquez was rescheduled for April 20.

Burns, 29, had been due to face the Mexican on March 16 at Wembley Arena but Warren released a doctor's certificate which claimed Vazquez was suffering from food poisoning.

Quit: World champion Ricky Burns has left promoter Frank Warren

Quit: World champion Ricky Burns has left promoter Frank Warren

Alex Morrison, Burns' manager, said: 'I regret it has come to this because I have known Frank for nearly 40 years, but it has to be for Ricky's sake.

'I felt we had to do something to stop Ricky stagnating. Two fights have been called off after he has trained hard for them and it was not even certain that the bout with Vazquez would have gone ahead on April 20.

'In fact, I now doubt very much that fight was ever going to happen. Vazquez was supposed to be sick but five days later I'm told he was seen sparring in the States.

Split: Burns with Warren

Split: Burns with Warren

'There were also a lot of issues I wanted settled before Ricky fought again and these were not concluded satisfactorily. I'm quite sorry this has happened, but I have to safeguard Ricky's future and he feels himself that he now wants to move in another direction.'

Burns has not fought since he stopped Kevin Mitchell in Glasgow in September and was left disappointed when first Liam Walsh and then Jose Ocampo pulled out of a proposed bout in December.

Should his departure be confirmed, Burns will follow in the footsteps of George Groves who defected to Matchroom earlier this week after pulling out his European super-middleweight title fight with Mohamed Ali Ndiaye.

Kell Brook, Tony Bellew and James Degale have also left Warren's stable in recent years.

A spokesman for the promoter declined to comment when contacted by MailOnline this morning.

Ricky Burns versus Miguel Vazquez cancelled

World champion Burns 'guttted' after unification title fight against Vazquez is called off

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

01:10 GMT, 4 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

08:07 GMT, 4 March 2013

Ricky Burns' world title unification fight against Miguel Vazquez is off.

The Scot was due to tackle the IBF lightweight champion at Wembley Arena on March 16 but the two parties were reportedly unable to agree terms.

Burns, the WBO belt holder, has not fought since he stopped Kevin Mitchell in Glasgow last September.

Disappointed: Ricky Burns' fight with Miguel Vazquez has been called off

Disappointed: Ricky Burns' fight with Miguel Vazquez has been called off

The 29-year-old was told the news by
promoter Frank Warren at the end of an already difficult week in which
super-middleweight George Groves split from his promotional outfit.

Burns tweeted: 'Absolutely gutted this fight ain't happening, another training camp n it's fell through! Not only that, feel sorry for the fans, my friends and family who have now booked tickets, flights and hotels for 2 fights for it to fall through. Sorry every1!'

His manager, Alex Morrison, told The Scottish Sun: 'While there is talk of it being rescheduled within 30 days, Ricky and I are very unhappy.'

Burns had been due to fight first Liam Walsh and then Jose Ocampo last December but both pulled out at short notice.

His fight with Vazquez was announced in January but last month the Mexican cast doubt over whether it would go ahead.

Switch: George Groves will announce his move to rival promoter Matchroom

Switch: George Groves will announce his move to rival promoter Matchroom

'There
is nothing concrete,' he said. 'I am waiting on the response from the
promoters. If they come to an agreement, there will be a fight.'

The news follows the shock defection of George Groves to rival promoter Eddie Hearn which is expected to be confirmed on Monday.

The super-middleweight was also due
to fight on the London card but will instead fight a week earlier at the
same venue on Matchroom's 'London's Finest' bill.

Of the three title fights scheduled for March 16, only Nathan Cleverly's mandatory defence against Robin Krasniqi remains.

A statement from Warren Promotions
confirmed: 'George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show
promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday March 16.

Last man standing: Nathan Cleverly faces Robin Krasniqi on March 16

Last man standing: Nathan Cleverly faces Robin Krasniqi on March 16

'Groves was due to challenge for the vacant European super-middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11.

'Groves has stated that he is not interested in boxing for the EBU title at this moment and would like to take his choice of fights in another direction.

'Mr Warren would like to wish George all the best with his career and looks forward to working again with him in the near future.'

Dereck Chisora, the shamed
heavyweight who was stripped of his licence last year after brawling
with David Haye, was due to return on the same night but is yet to have his hearing with the British Boxing Board of Control.

Ricky Burns to face Mexican Miguel Vazquez in world title unification match in March

Burns eyes Wembley glory! Champion set for world title unification fight with Vazquez

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

11:25 GMT, 14 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

00:07 GMT, 15 January 2013

Ricky Burns will take on Mexican Miguel Vazquez in a mouthwatering lightweight world title unification clash at Wembley Arena on March 16.

The Scotsman has been out of action since brutally knocking out British rival Kevin Mitchell in Glasgow last September and turned down the chance to face American superstar and WBC champion Adrien Broner in Atlantic City next month.

But Burns, 29, will instead bid to add Vazquez's IBF belt to his own WBO strap in what will be the toughest fight of his career to date.

Fully focused: Ricky Burns will return to the ring in March against Miguel Vazquez

Fully focused: Ricky Burns will return to the ring in March against Miguel Vazquez

'The last time I boxed down at Wembley against Michael Katsidis, the crowd were excellent,' Burns said. 'I'm really looking forward to it.

'This is a dream come true for me. Any boxer would be happy winning two world titles at two weights and retire, but for me I want to continue winning more world titles, unifying them and stepping up the weight divisions. Vazquez is a top fighter and one that I’ve been after a long time so I’m over the moon that it’s happening.'

Burns also denied he was avoiding American superstar Adrien Broner after turning down the chance to fight the unbeaten 23-year-old in Atlantic City.

'Anybody that knows me, knows I'm a fighter,' he added. 'I want to fight the best. i didn't feel seven weeks was enough time to prepare [for Broner], I need 12 weeks.'

Having won the WBO
super-featherweight title with a shock victory over Roman Martinez in
2010, Burns became a two-weight world champion the following year, first
winning the interim WBO lightweight belt against Michael Katsidis
before being awarded the strap outright when Juan Manuel Marquez
relinquished the title.

Fight club: A Queen Elizabeth look-alike poses with Nathan Cleverly, George Groves, Dereck Chisora and Burns

Fight club: A Queen Elizabeth look-alike poses with Nathan Cleverly, George Groves, Dereck Chisora and Burns

Burns made a successful first defence
against Ghanian Paulus Moses last March before his stunning
fourth-round victory over Mitchell in front of 10,000 passionate home
fans.

He was due to face Liam Walsh at the
ExCeL Arena in London in December but his opponent pulled out after a
car accident. His replacement, Jose Ocampo, then withdrew just days
before the fight after his trainer died.

Vazquez, meanwhile, has lost three of
his 36 fights but only to the highest calibre of opponent. He suffered
defeat on his debut by compatriot Saul Alvarez in 2006 and was also
beaten in a rematch two years later.

Title showdown: Burns celebrates his victory over Kevin Mitchell in September

Title showdown: Burns celebrates his victory over Kevin Mitchell in September

Sandwiched in between came a unanimous
defeat by Timothy Bradley, who has gone on to become a two-weight world
champion with a controversial victory over Manny Pacquiao last year.

Also on the Wembley card will be
Nathan Cleverly's mandatory defence of his WBO light-heavyweight title
against Robin Krasniqi, George Groves' European super-middleweight clash
with Mohamed Ali Ndiaye and Dereck Chisora's return to the ring,
assuming he is granted a licence by the British Boxing Board of Control.