Tag Archives: termination

Juventus hope to sign Didier Drogba from Shanghai Shenhua

Drogba to Juventus Club director reveals plans to beat AC Milan to striker's signature

By
Press Association Reporter

PUBLISHED:

18:32 GMT, 7 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

18:39 GMT, 7 January 2013

Juventus director general Beppe Marotta has confirmed the Serie A club have enquired about the availability of Shanghai Shenhua striker Didier Drogba.

The Bianconeri have already made an approach to sign Athletic Bilbao striker Fernando Llorente on a Bosman free transfer in the summer, but with Arsenal loanee Nicklas Bendtner sidelined through injury, the Italian champions are eager to bolster their immediate options.

Quoted on calciomercato.com, Marotta told television programme Domenica Sportiva: 'Drogba We are always making enquiries and we have made one for him.

In demand: Juventus hope to recruit Drogba this month

In demand: Juventus hope to recruit Drogba this month

'We have asked about his availability and after that we will look at the financial aspects and talk to the coach.'

Juve boss Conte had previously ruled out any approach for the former Chelsea striker, but player recruitment is overseen by Marotta.

A person claiming to be Drogba's agent, Carlos Arino Bajo, had claimed Drogba had an option to end his two-and-a-half year contract in China, a claim later rejected by the London-based Sports PR Company.

Bajo had told tuttomercato.com: 'Didier
has a termination agreement with the Chinese club and I think he has a
lot of possibilities to move to Italy in January.

Instrumental: Drogba was the key player in Chelsea's Champions League triumph

Instrumental: Drogba was the key player in Chelsea's Champions League triumph

'There is real interest from Juventus and AC Milan, and it is the same from Didier regarding the transfer.

'There have been contacts with both clubs and next week we will hear
from them again. He would love to compete in one of the world's best
leagues, such as the Italian Serie A.'

But the Sports PR Company, who count Drogba and several of his former
Chelsea team-mates among their clients, responded through their official
Twitter account.

On his way: Llorente could also join Juve

On his way: Llorente could also join Juve

The company tweeted: 'Please note, these quotes are not correct. This
guy is not Didier's agent, his sole agent is Thierno Seydi (a
FIFA-registered agent based in Senegal).'

Drogba has been training with Chelsea, with whom he won the Champions
League in May, in the lead-up to the African Nations Cup which begins in
South Africa on January 19.

Rangers lose four more players

Exodus! Four more – including keeper McGregor – turn their back on newco Rangers

|

UPDATED:

21:31 GMT, 26 June 2012

Allan McGregor, Steven Davis, Kyle Lafferty and Jamie Ness tonight joined the Ibrox exodus after declining to transfer their contracts to Charles Green's newco Rangers.

They joined Steven Naismith, Steven Whittaker, Sone Aluko and Rhys McCabe, who registered their objections before the start of this week.

A statement from lawyer Margaret Gribbon of Bridge Litigation read: 'Allan McGregor, Steven Davis, Jamie Ness and Kyle Lafferty have instructed PFA lawyers' Bridge Litigation UK to object to their transfer to the Rangers' newco.'

Looking to the future: Allan McGregor has rejected the contract switch to newco Rangers

Looking to the future: Allan McGregor has rejected the contract switch to newco Rangers

Lee Wallace earlier pledged his future to the newco club, which is almost certain to start life outside the Clydesdale Bank Premier League.

But Wallace and Lee McCulloch are the only two players to have committed themselves publicly to staying at Ibrox and Green now faces the prospect of more players walking away, possibly without compensation.

The law firm's statement added: 'The union's lawyers are already instructed in this matter for Rhys McCabe and Sone Aluko.

'Bridge Litigation UK has confirmed that letters of objection have been sent to the club along with requests to the SFA to release the players' registrations.

Steering clear: Steven Davis has also chosen to seek pastures new

Steering clear: Steven Davis has also chosen to seek pastures new

'Bridge Litigation UK have shared with the players the contents of legal guidance issued by the SFA last week on the issue of TUPE and player registration and which they state supports their legal view that an objection under TUPE amounts to a lawful termination of contract giving the club no entitlement to a claim for compensation.'

Ms Gribbon added: 'This has been an extremely difficult period for all the players and in the end their decisions were influenced largely by footballing considerations.

'SPL football appears highly unlikely and even First Division football cannot be guaranteed in light of comments made today by two First Division clubs.

'The players' commitment and loyalty to oldco Rangers cannot be questioned; they voluntarily took significant wage cuts in a genuine act of solidarity which ensured that none of the playing squad or club staff would lose their jobs.

Put on the spot: Kyle Lafferty has joined the list of players who want out

Put on the spot: Kyle Lafferty has joined the list of players who want out

'But for their contribution, it's likely that the club would not have survived until the end of the season.

'As professional footballers, the players' careers are relatively short lived and they are entitled to exercise basic employment rights the law affords to all employees in this country under the TUPE Regulations.

'I now expect the SFA and FIFA to interpret their rules and regulations in accordance with the TUPE legislation so that the players' registrations can be released without delay.'

The news comes after six of the 12 SPL clubs stated they would oppose Green's application to take Rangers' place in the top flight.

And Raith followed Falkirk in stating their objection to a deal which could see the club entering the Irn-Bru First Division instead of applying to join the Third.

Lifted out of it: Jamie Ness wants no part in the bleak future at Ibrox

Lifted out of it: Jamie Ness wants no part in the bleak future at Ibrox

Given the ongoing uncertainty, the decision of Wallace to stay was arguably more of a surprise than the others leaving.

Wallace said on www.rangersfc.co.uk: 'When I arrived at Ibrox the support from the club, players and fans was fantastic.

'The fans showed great faith in us all during tough times and I still feel I have more to show them during the remainder of my contract.

'My partner is expecting our first baby soon and my priority is to my family. This gives me the incentive to improve my performance and ultimately win trophies.'

Wallace signed a five-year contract when he joined from Hearts in August last year in a deal worth 1.5million.

However, the original Rangers company will go into liquidation with Hearts still to receive 800,000 and it is unclear whether Green's club will be forced to pay.

Wallace added: 'My personal decision in
no way condemns or judges those made by my fellow professionals as I
believe each person has different circumstances and reasons which will
determine the road they choose to travel at this particular time. I
respect the decision taken by each individual player.'

Dark clouds: Rangers continue to suffer setbacks in their bid to be reborn

Dark clouds: Rangers continue to suffer setbacks in their bid to be reborn

Green's Sevco consortium bought the assets and business of Rangers for 5.5million earlier this month after the club was consigned to liquidation when creditors rejected his offer.

The former Sheffield United chief executive threatened legal action for breach of contract against exiting players at the weekend but he adopted a less aggressive stance following talks with PFA Scotland on Monday, simply arguing they would not play for a bigger club than Rangers.

Although Green has claimed his company would be entitled to a transfer fee he is unable to stop players joining other clubs with FIFA likely to issue a temporary document backing the transfer if Green objects, before any potential arbitration hearing further down the line.

Green's case is further weakened by the fact that his club is not yet a member of the SFA.

Rangers players were due to report for pre-season training on Thursday but it is unclear how many will turn up at Murray Park other than McCulloch and Wallace.

The players and staff who have agreed to transfer their contracts are also due to receive their first pay packets from Sevco on the same day.

Liverpool accounts revealed with 50m wasted on new stadium plans

Liverpool's losses reveal 50m blown on botched new stadium plans

|

UPDATED:

20:44 GMT, 3 May 2012

Liverpool's failure to relocate from Anfield to a new stadium on Stanley Park has cost the club a startling 49.6million.

The club's accounts have unveiled the
mess that was created by the doomed reign of former owners Tom Hicks
and George Gillett.

The figures, which were released yesterday, revealed
a loss before tax of 49.4m for the financial year ending July 31,
2011, a rise from the previous year's 19.9m.

Ditched: The futuristic stadium plan submitted by the former owners has been scrapped by the current Liverpool board

Ditched: The futuristic stadium plan submitted by the former owners has been scrapped by the current Liverpool board

Defeat: The Reds lost to Fulham on Tuesday

Defeat: The Reds lost to Fulham on Tuesday

'NEW ANFIELD'

In 2000 Liverpool announced plans to
build a new 60,000 seat stadium on Stanley Park. Estimated costs were
150m with the possibility to expand to 70,000.

In 2006 the club secured a 999-year, 300,000 a-year lease on part of the park for their ground.

Hicks
and Gillett bought Liverpool in 2007 and promised 'a spade in the
ground within 60 days', pledging 210m to build the 'new' Anfield.

Their
plans, which they commissioned out to American architects HKS, would
have cost 300m to follow through on, resulting in a 71,000 seater
stadium.

Hicks and Gillett, who said they
would have a 'spade in the ground' within 60 days following their
arrival in February 2007 – wanted to build a futuristic 70,000- capacity
glass and steel stadium on Stanley Park and commissioned Dallasbased
architects HKS.

The plan was scrapped, though,
following Fenway Sports Group's takeover in October 2010 and, as a
result, the costs have been called a major 'exceptional item' in the
accounts.

That term has also been used to
describe the termination costs that former manager Roy Hodgson received
along with other key backroom figures.

Even still, the fact that almost 50m
was wasted without Liverpool being any closer to making a decision
about what to do next – either staying at Anfield or moving to Stanley
Park – will alarm fans.

Out and in: England wanted the man ditched for 8.4m by Liverpool

Out and in: England wanted the man ditched for 8.4m by Liverpool

Abandoned: Liverpool spent 35m for nothing

Abandoned: Liverpool spent 35m for nothing

'We have written off a huge amount on
the stadium project,' said managing director Ian Ayre. 'A big chunk
relates to the HKS project – which is now defunct.

'We come under daily pressure from people for a decision on what we are doing.

'One thing we have consistently said
is that we will make the right decision in the long-term interests of
Liverpool Football Club.

'We have to be very mindful of the
cost of doing anything. The cost of building a new stadium is
significant. Equally if we refurbish Anfield, the cost is significant.
It is about finding a solution that works.'

Should Liverpool proceed with a new
build – the club still have designs in place with Manchester architects
AFL – obtaining naming rights is crucial.

Ayre, who insisted that Liverpool not
being in the Champions League wasn't 'the end of the world', added: 'In
terms of a new stadium, we have a design, we have planning permission
and we have a site. But the economic model for a new stadium has to be
underpinned by significant investment by a naming rights partner. That
just takes time.

Chris Coleman threatened by Larissa legal action

He's ours! Coleman's Wales arrival clouded as former club launch legal action over boss

Greek club Larissa have threatened legal action against Chris Coleman after revealing the new Wales manager is still THEIR boss.

The extraordinary admission follows a Coleman's dignified entrance as the late Gary Speed's successor in charge of the Welsh national team.

New man: Chris Coleman poses with the Wales shirt

New man: Chris Coleman poses with the Wales shirt

Second division Larissa, however, insist Coleman is still under a one-year contract despite the former Fulham boss citing personal problems and the club's financial problems behind his departure earlier this month just seven months into the job.

The club released a statement reacted
to the news of his Wales appointment, saying Coleman has not signed a
contract termination agreement.

It read: 'On January 8, 2012, Chris
Coleman gave his last interview as head coach of Larissa, saying the
causes of his departure were unrelated to the national team of his
country; today, 11 days afterwards it has been announced officially that
he will be the new national coach of Wales.

Emotional: Chris Coleman speaking in Cardiff today

Emotional: Chris Coleman speaking in Cardiff today

'Once it became known that Chris
Coleman, who has a contract until next June, would be leaving, the club
has been heavily criticised despite the president saying publicly he did
everything to keep Coleman at the club.

'Instead of asking for an apology
from all those who criticised us, we instead feel the need to apologise
for our choice in appointing Chris Coleman.'

Coleman now faces potential court
action after a Larissa spokesman added: 'We have started legal
proceedings in order to claim compensation from the Welsh FA.

'We are also prepared to take the matter to FIFA.'

Sombre: Chris Coleman flanked by FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford (left) and president Phil Pritchard at the St David's Hotel in Cardiff

Sombre: Chris Coleman flanked by FAW chief executive Jonathan Ford (left) and president Phil Pritchard at the St David's Hotel in Cardiff

Chris Coleman (left) with Phil Pritchard

Despite Larissa's threat,
the FAW will be hoping that Coleman can continue the progress that
Wales had made with Speed in charge, with the Dragons winning four of
their final five games during the former midfielder Speed's tenure
before his tragic death in November.

That run of results moved Wales into the world's top 50 and earned them the tag of 2011's highest climbers in the FIFA rankings.

Former Wales manager Mark Hughes has backed the appointment of Chris Coleman as national team manager.

'It was important to make the right
decision and I think Chris will do a great job there,' said Hughes, who
almost took Wales to the European Championships eight years ago.

'He is a very proud Welshman like I
was and a close personal friend of Gary and I think he will respect the
legacy Gary has left behind.

'I am sure they will go forward. They have a good group of very promising youngsters that have come through together.

'If they keep progressing at the rate
they are at the moment, it is an exciting time for Welsh football and
hopefully Chris can guide that.'

Old pals: Gary Speed and Coleman together with Wales

Old pals: Gary Speed and Coleman together with Wales

Popular: Wales players admired former manager Gary Speed

Popular: Wales players admired former manager Gary Speed

Stoke manager Tony Pulis considers his fellow Welshman Coleman to have ideal credentials for the task of succeeding Speed.

'All the people who helped Gary, helped him get the results while he was in the job, should get behind Chris now and the country can push forward,' Pulis said.

Results improved significantly under Speed and Pulis hopes Coleman can carry on the good work and take Wales to the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

'There are some great young players in Wales, and hopefully there are some good times to come,' Pulis said.

'They've picked a man who is a good football man, and I'm sure he will do a great job there.

'Now he should be given the opportunity and the chance to hopefully put together a team that will get us qualified.'

DM.has('rcp','BCVideo');

Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers, a
Northern Irishman, was also supportive of the appointment, and he
believes Coleman is approaching the task confronts him with the right
attitude.

'I spoke to Chris after our game here
last Sunday against Arsenal, and I know he was really looking forward
to hopefully being appointed the (Wales) manager,' Rodgers said.

'It is always going to be a difficult
one, coming after Gary, who did an incredible job and really set up the
framework for the nation to move on.

'Chris coming in, he's got big
experience also at the highest level, both as a player and a manager,
and I know he is a guy who works well with players.

'He understands how delicate it is,
but the overall objective would be to get to the World Cup and I know he
will work very hard to do that.

'There is real talent. You look how
well they (Wales) have performed in the last year or so, and it
demonstrates that the future is very bright for Welsh football.

'I think Chris has taken over a very talented group, and he knows that.'