He's back! Pietersen included in England squad for tour of India
14:47 GMT, 18 October 2012
Kevin Pietersen has been added to England's squad for the forthcoming tour of India.
The batsman was initially overlooked as the controversy over his exclusion from the side earlier in the summer continued.
Pietersen was dropped for the third Test against South Africa in August amid allegations he sent text messages to opposing players criticising his then captain Andrew Strauss.
In the squad: Kevin Pietersen is in the England squad for the tour of India
The 32-year-old apologised for sending the messages earlier this month and signed a new ECB central contract after agreeing to enter a 'reintegration' process with the team.
Having now met with team director Andy Flower, new Test captain Alastair Cook and other senior players to discuss the matter, the governing body are now happy to confirm his return.
The ECB's managing director for England cricket, Hugh Morris, said: “We were keen that Kevin should hold a series of face-to-face meetings with team management and senior players before the Test squad departs for the UAE and India next week.
T20 star: Pietersen has been playing for the Daredevils in South Africa
'The meetings were constructive and cordial and all outstanding issues have been resolved.
'All the England players and management are now keen to draw a line under this matter and fully focus on the cricketing challenge that lies ahead in India.'
Reintegration: Pietersen has held peace talks with his England team-mates
England are due to play four Tests in India in November and December.
Pietersen will be added to a 16-man squad which includes uncapped batsmen Joe Root and Nick Compton.
ECB national selector Geoff Miller said: 'We are pleased to welcome a player of Kevin's proven international calibre back into the Test squad for such an important Test series.
'As we anticipate that Ian Bell will return home for the birth of his first child around the time of the second Test in Mumbai, the team will benefit from having an extra batsman in the squad and all players who were originally selected for the tour will fly out as planned next week.
'Kevin will join up with the squad as soon as his Champions League commitments are complete.'
Having returned to the UK earlier this week, Pietersen has now travelled back to South Africa to resume his Champions League duties with Delhi Daredevils.
KEVIN PIETERSEN TIMELINE
Kevin Pietersen has returned to the England squad after publicly apologising for his controversial behaviour and agreeing a new central contract. Here, Sportsmail recaps what has been a tumultuous summer for Pietersen with, and without, England.
May 23 – Pietersen is fined by the ECB for a Twitter outburst against Sky commentator Nick Knight. The batsman wrote: “Can somebody please tell me how Nick Knight has worked his way into the commentary box for the Tests Ridiculous.”
May 31 – Retires from one-day internationals, with ECB contract rules meaning he must also take his leave of the Twenty20 format. His statement stresses: 'For the record, were the selection criteria not in place, I would have readily played for England in the upcoming ICC World Twenty20.'
July 9 – Admits he still harbours hope of playing limited-overs cricket for England again. Asked if he could eventually reconsider his retirement, Pietersen says “never say never” but adds: “The schedule would have to be a hell of a lot different for me to come back. Wait and see.'
July 13 – Reveals he would “love to play for another three or four years in all forms of cricket” and, asked if talks are in progress with the ECB, intriguingly replies: “I think so.”
August 6 – After scoring 149 in the first innings of the second Test against South Africa, casts doubt on his Test future, claiming “obstacles” must be overcome in order for him to continue beyond the third Test at Lord's and adding: “It's tough being me playing for England.”
August 11 – Pietersen says he 'wants to commit to all forms of cricket for England' in a video posted on YouTube. He adds: 'I've had a change of heart because I love playing cricket for England, I love being part of a successful England team. It would be sad for me to finish with the way things have been running through the media in the last three or four days.'
August 12 – Left out for the third Test against South Africa but insists: “None of this constitutes the end of my career as an international cricketer.”
August 15 – The ECB confirm they have received an apology from Pietersen and an admission he sent “provocative” BBM messages to members of the South African team. Pietersen says: “I truly didn't mean to cause upset or tension, particularly with important games at stake.”
August 21 – Pietersen is left out of England squads for the limited-overs series against South Africa and September's World Twenty20 and team director Andy Flower seeks details of the texts sent to Proteas players.
September 7 – The ECB announce 10 centrally contracted players for the 2012-13 season which does not include Pietersen. The accompanying statement reveals: 'In respect to Kevin Pietersen, discussions are ongoing – and they remain private.'
September 18 – Pietersen is left out of the Test squad to tour India after much speculation about his potential selection. A statement released by his management company reads: 'Kevin Pietersen is naturally disappointed about today's decision, having gone to great lengths to reach a reconciliation with the ECB.'
October 2 – Flower reveals he is expecting a positive resolution 'in the next 36 hours' following extensive talks between Pietersen and the ECB.
October 3 – Pietersen signs a new central contract with a view to rejoining the England set-up for the remainder of 2012. The BBM messages issue is also put to bed with Pietersen apologising to Andrew Strauss for 'the impact the recent controversies have had on the England team'.
October 18 – Added to England's squad for the forthcoming tour of India, after talks described by the ECB as 'constructive and cordial'.