Tag Archives: swoop

Ricky van Wolfswinkel could back out of big-money Norwich move if they go down

Van Wolfswinkle move to Norwich could be scrapped if they fail to survive

By
Sami Mokbel

PUBLISHED:

12:42 GMT, 17 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

13:17 GMT, 17 April 2013

Norwich's swoop for Ricky van Wolfswinkel will come under serious threat if Chris Hughton's side are relegated.

The Holland international is due to join the Carrow Road club in the summer after the Canaries struck an 8.6million agreement with Sporting Lisbon.

Big money: The Dutchman agreed an 8.6million move to Carrow Road from Sporting Lisbon

Big money: The Dutchman agreed an 8.6million move to Carrow Road from Sporting Lisbon

But Sportsmail understands the forward, who is due to sign a four year deal with Norwich on July 1, has a clause in his contract that allows him to pull out of the move if the Norfolk club are relegated.

Van Wolfswinkel is a long-term target of Hughton, who will be desperate not to miss out on the 24-year-old.

After a worrying start to the season, the Canaries have managed to improve their form and currently sit in 14th place, four points off the drop zone.

But a poor end to the season could easily see them slump back into relegation trouble, which will leave Van Wolfswinkel's switch in jeopardy.

Goal machine: Van Wolfswinkel (above centre) would bring Hughton's men much-needed firepower next season, having scored just 31 goals this campaign

Goal machine: Van Wolfswinkel (above centre) would bring Hughton's men much-needed firepower next season, having scored just 31 goals this campaign

Arsenal Norwich

Back in March, the 24-year-old was impressed by Hughton during discussions and became convinced Norwich is a team with potential.

‘The club is in the middle of the table and very ambitious, this summer they will be debt free and will get on strong,’ Van Wolfswinkel told Dutch magazine Voetbal International in March.

‘I had a good talk with the manager, Chris Hughton. He was very specific about my qualities and wants to build a strong team around him. That gives good trust.

‘The plan is also to bring in an attacking midfielder and two wide players this summer. With that, Norwich can look to play in the top half of the table.’

Robert Snodgrass

Grant Holt

Lacking up top: Robert Snodgrass (left) and Grant Holt (right) have just eleven goals between them all season

Hughton, who tried to sign 6ft 1in Van Wolfswinkel in January, wants more attacking options after having to deploy Grant Holt as a lone striker this season. Norwich have scored just 31 goals in 33 games, with top scorer Robert Snodgrass having netted just six times.

‘That a club would spend so much money, in these times, shows their faith in me,’ he said.

‘I have been to Norwich to look around and spoken to the manager and chief executive over their plans for the future. I don't know much about Norwich, but the city and the club surprised me – the stadium has 25,000 (capacity) and there are 5,000 fans on a waiting list for (season) tickets on top of that which shows the status of the club.’

Jonjo Shelvey could be available for 7m with Stoke City ready to move in summer

Shelvey could be available for 7m with Stoke lining up a summer move

By
Aidan Mccartney

PUBLISHED:

11:47 GMT, 3 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

12:27 GMT, 3 March 2013

Stoke City are considering a move for out-of-favour Liverpool midfielder Jonjo Shelvey during the summer.

The former Charlton prospect has
recently fallen out of Brendan Rodgers first-team plans and the Sunday
People suggest that he could be available in a cut-price transfer in the summer.

Stoke are
understood to be observing the 21-year-old’s progress with Tony Pulis having sent a two-man party to watch the England international
in a reserve match last week.

Outcast: Shelvey (right) could be available in the summer after disappointing recent form

Bleak future: Shelvey (right) could be allowed to leave Anfield after disappointing recent form

Shelvey impressed earlier in the
season for the Reds in his 14 appearances, earning a first England senior cap against San Marino in October.

However, the youngster has been
criticised for his latest displays and he was hauled off by Rodgers after
60 minutes in his last start, an uninspiring performance during their 2-0 defeat against
West Brom in February.

Stoke look set to lose unsettled
former Liverpool man Charlie Adam in the summer and Pulis has now eyed up Shelvey in a 7million swoop as the ideal replacement for the
Scottish international.

Grieving: Adam lost his father just before Christmas which could see him depart Stoke

Grieving: Adam (left) lost his father just before Christmas which could see him depart Stoke

Samir Nasri could quit Manchester City for PSG

EXCLUSIVE: Unsettled Nasri is PSG target as City midfielder plots exit

By
Sami Mokbel

PUBLISHED:

22:30 GMT, 1 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

00:23 GMT, 2 March 2013

Paris Saint-Germain are set to pounce on the uncertainty surrounding Samir Nasri’s future with a big-money summer swoop.

Manchester City sources have indicated to Sportsmail that the France international is keen to explore the option of leaving the Etihad Stadium this summer after a breakdown in his relationship with Roberto Mancini.

Nasri is said to have been shocked and angered by his manager’s decision to criticise him publicly last week.

Down in the dumps: Samir Nasri could quit Manchester City for PSG

Down in the dumps: Samir Nasri could quit Manchester City for PSG

Samir Nasri

And news of Nasri’s anger has alerted PSG sporting director Leonardo, who is a known admirer of the Frenchman.

The Brazilian failed in an attempt to snatch Nasri from under City’s noses when he left Arsenal in 2011.

And the mega-rich club want to revive their interest in Nasri when the summer transfer window re-opens, with the player said to be ‘more than open’ to the move.

PSG’s riches mean they will have no
problems matching Nasri’s current 170,000-per-week wages, though City
will want to recoup as much of the 24million paid for the attacking
midfielder as possible.

Whether or not Mancini remains at the City helm beyond the end of the season, will be a factor when Nasri decides his future.

But with champions City keen to lower
their wage bill significantly this summer, selling Nasri is
unquestionably an attractive option for them.

Unhappy: Roberto Mancini was publicly critical of Nasri last week

Unhappy: Roberto Mancini was publicly critical of Nasri last week

Manchester City's Samir Nasri jokes around in the dressing room during training

Newcastle set to bid 9m for Ajax"s Siem de Jong

EXCLUSIVE: Newcastle plot bold 9m swoop for Ajax playmaker De Jong

: Scores 13 goals as Ajax win the title

2012: Named in provisional Holland squad for Euro 2012 but does not make final 23

2012: Takes over club captaincy as Jan Vertonghen joins Tottenham

2012: Scores three goals in two games to help knock Man City out of the Champions League

Ajax appearances: 196. Goals: 64.

He has two years remaining on his Ajax contract and while wages wont be a problem to Newcastle, sources in Holland say he is eager to run down his deal and move on a free.

Pardew and his team of scouts will have to overcome that and convince him now is the time to move to the Premier League.

Pardew is planning a push for the Champions League places next season and wants to pack his team with more quality. It is understood he is particularly keen to link De Jong with French midfielder Yohan Cabaye.

Pardew also wants to show Cabaye – missing for much of the season with injury – that Newcastle are prepared to buy big.

Money talks: Pardew hopes to make a statement with the signing of De Jong

Money talks: Pardew hopes to make a statement with the signing of De Jong

With QPR winning the race to sign of French forward Loic Remy from Marseille, the move for the much-wanted De Jong is Pardew’s next move.

De Jong is being pursued by German Bundesliga clubs and his brother, Luuk already plays for Borussia Monchengladbach.

VIDEO Siem de Jong's best moments at Ajax

Swansea to bid 7m for Thomas Ince

Swansea set to spark 7m bidding war with Liverpool for Blackpool star Ince

By
Paul Collins

PUBLISHED:

09:45 GMT, 12 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

09:46 GMT, 12 January 2013

Swansea are reportedly ready to hijack Liverpool's bid for Thomas Ince with a 7million offer for the Blackpool midfielder.

Ince, 20, had been expected to complete a move back to Anfield when the transfer window opened but Brendan Rodgers has been frustrated in his atttempts to complete the deal.

Blackpool rejected an opening offer of 5m and Liverpool are yet to return with an improved bid.

Wanted: Thomas Ince has attracted interest from Liverpool and Swansea

Wanted: Thomas Ince has attracted interest from Liverpool and Swansea

And that could leave the door open for Swansea to swoop, according to The Times.

Ince was originally released by Liverpool just 18 months ago and joined Blackpool for 250,000.

He has impressed at Bloomfield Road, scoring 13 goals this season and recently insisted he is happy to remain with the Championship club.

In the market: Ince has long been a target for Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers

In the market: Ince has long been a target for Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers

'My future right now is here,' he said. 'I’m a Blackpool player, I’m contracted to Blackpool and I’ll continue to give 100 per cent for this team.

'I don’t only do it for myself and for the fans but I do it for my team-mates.

'These lads are a great bunch of lads. The team spirit in this team is fantastic.'

Sunderland close in on Danny Graham

Sunderland close in on 4m swoop for Graham

By
Simon Jones

PUBLISHED:

22:41 GMT, 7 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

22:41 GMT, 7 January 2013

Sunderland are closing in on a 4milllion-plus move for Swansea striker Danny Graham, as exclusively revealed in Sportsmail last week.

A deal could have been completed over the weekend but for Swansea being held up in their efforts to sign Kenwyne Jones as replacement.

Swansea still hope to reach an agreement with Stoke for Jones.

High five: Graham could be on his way to Sunderland

High five: Graham could be on his way to Sunderland

Southampton set to sign 12m Liverpool target Davide Astori of Italy

Liverpool likely to miss out on 12m Astori with Southampton set to swoop

when there were doubts over the fitness of Andrea Barzagli.

Meanwhile, Liverpool are also struggling to close a deal with Blackpool for Tom Ince over the Championship club’s 7m valuation.

The winger impressed through 90
minutes of the Tangerines 1-1 FA Cup draw with Fulham on Saturday,
further underlining his top-flight credentials.

Frank Lampard: Manchester United should sign him – Ray Wilkins

Sign him up, Fergie! Wilkins urges United to swoop for Chelsea star Lampard

|

UPDATED:

11:05 GMT, 31 December 2012

Ray Wilkins has urged Manchester United to snap up Frank Lampard from Chelsea in the January transfer window.

The veteran midfielder looks set to leave Stamford Bridge despite a string of impressive recent performances, and Wilkins told talkSPORT that he feels the England man could boost United’s title bid.

Former Chelsea assistant manager Wilkins also criticised the club for deciding to let Lampard go.

Farewell Frank Lampard looks to be on his way out of Chelsea

Farewell Frank Lampard looks to be on his way out of Chelsea

‘He was fantastic [against Everton], wasn’t he’ said Wilkins. ‘In the 11 games he’s played, he’s got six goals already.

‘This is the club’s decision to let him go – it’s nothing to do with Rafa Benitez – and in my opinion it’s the wrong decision. You need these older players to show the youngsters what it means to play for Chelsea.’

Back of the net: Lampard scored twice against Everton on Sunday

Back of the net: Lampard scored twice against Everton on Sunday

He added: ‘He’ll cost nothing, he’s about four years younger than Giggs and Scholes and he scores goals from midfield. He’s scored more goals this year than Carrick, Cleverley and Scholes combined.

‘He’s comfortably got two or three more seasons in him. He won’t play 90 minutes every week but if he starts 20 games for Man United he’ll score them seven goals.’

Craig Mackail-Smith wanted by Norwich City

Norwich preparing 3m swoop for Brighton striker Mackail-Smith

|

UPDATED:

22:00 GMT, 29 December 2012

Norwich manager Chris Hughton will go back for 3m Brighton striker Craig Mackail-Smith after missing out on him in the summer.

Hughton is keen to boost his side’s goal tally with Grant Holt having scored only four times this season.

Mackail-Smith, 28, has reached double figures in the Championship.

Wanted man: Brighton striker Mackail-Smith (left)

Wanted man: Brighton striker Mackail-Smith (left)

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will demand move to Arsenal

EXCLUSIVE: Huntelaar wants 100,000-a-week to seal switch to Arsenal in January

|

UPDATED:

10:16 GMT, 19 December 2012

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar will demand to become Arsenal’s best-paid player if he is to join the Gunners next month.

The north London club have opened talks with Schalke over a proposed 6million January swoop for the Holland international.

Huntelaar’s advisers are also fully aware of Arsene Wenger’s intention to sign the 29-year-old striker when the transfer window reopens.

Ambitious: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is ready to force a move to Arsenal

Ambitious: Klaas-Jan Huntelaar is ready to force a move to Arsenal

But the former Real Madrid striker will not come cheaply. The Dutchman wants a basic minimum wage of 100,000-per-week to sign for the Gunners.

Huntelaar and his representatives are fully aware that, given his age, this is likely to be the forward’s final big contract.

And they are determined to land the best financial deal possible.

Should Arsenal meet Huntelaar’s 5.2million demands, it would make him the club’s top earner.

The Gunners’ current best paid player is Lukas Podolski who earns in he region of 90,000-per-week.

Leading the line: Huntelaar could be drafted in to help Olivier Giroud up front

Leading the line: Huntelaar could be drafted in to help Olivier Giroud up front