Tag Archives: sky

Georgie Thompson makes F1 return just two races after quitting Sky Sports

Presenter Thompson makes Formula One return just months after quitting Sky Sports

By
Mike Dawes

PUBLISHED:

14:29 GMT, 8 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

17:00 GMT, 8 April 2013

Georgie Thompson has returned to Formula One just two races after turning her back on the sport.

The pint-sized presenter, who left Sky Sports' coverage after only one season, is the new face of Lotus sponsor Suremen.

Scroll down for video of Georgie presenting Sky Sports' F1 coverage last season

GEORGIE THOMPSON

Back in the fast lane: Georgie Thompson has returned to Formula One as an ambassador for Sure

GEORGIE THOMPSON

GEORGIE THOMPSON

'It's great to be involved in a
campaign focused on F1 and Suremen is such an exciting brand to be
involved with, especially given the strong early season form of the
Lotus, with Kimi Raikkonen winning the first race,' Thompson said.

'It's a brand that fits really well with the fast-paced and exhilarating F1 lifestyle – I'm really looking forward to being a part of such an exciting project.'

Thompson ended her 11-year stint as the face of Sky Sports News to join the corporation's F1 presenting team for their inaugural foray into the sport.

Georgie Thompson

Glamour race: Georgie was disillusioned with her second-fiddle role in Sky Sports' F1 coverage

Glamour Race: Georgie was disappointed at her second-fiddle role in Sky Sports' F1 coverage

Georgie Thompson

Georgie Thompson

But the 35-year-old host turned her back on F1 after becoming disillusioned with playing second fiddle to main presenter Simon Lazenby.

Thompson informed Sky of her decision in the build-up to this season's first F1 show, which aired on February 15. Her profile has since been airbrushed out of the team shot on the Sky Sports F1 website.

VIDEO Georgie Thompson on Sky Sports' F1 coverage

JT McNamara in "very positive frame of mind" after being paralysed by horror fall

McNamara in 'very positive frame of mind' despite being paralysed by horror fall

By
Marcus Townend

PUBLISHED:

19:16 GMT, 29 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

23:57 GMT, 29 March 2013

Jockey JT McNamara, seriously injured in
a fall at the Cheltenham Festival earlier this month, has expressed his
gratitude for the support he has received as it was publicly confirmed
he has been left paralysed.

A statement issued by Dr Adrian McGoldrick, Irish Turf Club Senior
Medical Officer and Lisa Hancock, CEO, Injured Jockeys Fund on behalf of
the McNamara Family, said: ‘JT McNamara remains in the Frenchay
Hospital, Bristol.

Moving: JT McNamara is improving and will be moved to a hospital in Ireland

Moving: JT McNamara is improving and will be moved to a hospital in Ireland

‘Whilst he suffered a serious neck injury resulting in paralysis, he has made progress in the last week and is in a very positive frame of mind.

‘He is greatly appreciative of the many messages, cards and letters received and also wishes to thank the Frenchay Hospital who are looking after him so well.’

McNamara was injured in a first fence fall from Galaxy Rock in the Fulke Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Hancock said: 'It's a risky sport. Safety is important and it continues to be, but it is a risky sport and every jockey knows that. We are looking at safety measures and continue to do so.]

'But at the end of the day you're riding a horse at speed and jumping fences at speed so the risk is always there.'

JT McNamara

Paul Struthers, chief excutive of the Professional Jockeys Association, tweeted: 'Awful news with confirmation of the extent of JT's injuries. The risks faced/sacrifices made by our brave boys & girls face to entertain us.'

The Jockey Club tweeted: 'We echo the sentiments expressed across our sport & beyond, and send our very best wishes to JT McNamara & those dear to him.'

Grand National-winning rider Mick Fitzgerald has also spoken of his sadness and of the risks involved in racing.

Now a successful pundit on television and radio, Fitzgerald told Sky Sports News: 'It's a mixture of sadness, it's the end of a great career for a jockey who was an amateur and did it because he loved the game.

'When it happened at the time a sombre (mood) descended on Cheltenham, everyone had everything crossed and plenty of people were praying their worse fears wouldn't be realised. This is the end of a glittering career.

'The great thing I can say is that he's in a positive frame of mind and that is number one. He's surrounded by people who love him and I can only extend my best wishes to him and his family.

'It's a high-risk sport and this is one of the things that can happen. As a jump jockey you go out to ride every day knowing it could be your last. You never think it could be you, it always happens to someone else.

'We devote our lives to the sport we love. None of us want to see a jockey injured, the same goes for the horse.

Sombre: Former Grand National winner and racing pundit Mick Fitzgerald spoke out about his sadness

Sombre: Former Grand National winner and racing pundit Mick Fitzgerald spoke out about his sadness

'Getting injured is always in the back of your mind but if you were thinking about it, you wouldn't be able to do your job.

'He's alive and well and in a positive frame of mind. It's important that racing does what it can to help him enjoy the rest of life. I cannot tell you how nice a guy he is.'

The latest statement on McNamara's condition was issued jointly by Dr Adrian McGoldrick, Irish Turf Club Senior Medical Officer and Lisa Hancock, CEO, Injured Jockeys Fund, on behalf of the rider's family and read: 'JT McNamara remains in the Frenchay Hospital, Bristol. Whilst he suffered a serious neck injury resulting in paralysis, he has made progress in the last week and is in a very positive frame of mind.

'He is greatly appreciative of the many messages, cards and letters received and also wishes to thank the Frenchay Hospital who are looking after him so well.'

Dermot Gallagher holocaust Sky Sports

Sky Sports presenters forced to apologise as ex-referee Gallagher makes 'Holocaust' blunder live on TV

Ex-referee Dermot Gallagher says official could have caused 'another Holocaust' during Celtic's 3-0 defeat by Juventus

Gallagher was referring to fifth official missing Alessandro's Matri's shot crossing the line in third minute of the Champions League encounter

Presenters Rob Wotton and Hayley McQueen say sorry minutes later

By
Andy James

PUBLISHED:

11:46 GMT, 13 February 2013

|

UPDATED:

12:12 GMT, 13 February 2013

Sky Sports News presenters were forced into an apology this morning after Dermot Gallagher used the word ‘Holocaust’ live on television in reference to the incompetence of the fifth official during Juventus’s first goal last night.

Former referee Gallagher, a regular pundit on the channel, was asked why UEFA’s fifth official was unable to see Alessandro Matri's shot cross the line first time.

Claudio Marchisio followed up but he assistant referee – almost looking through the fifth official – gave the goal to Matri.

Blunder: Gallagher was referring to this incident where the additional assistant referee appeared to miss Alessandro Matri's shot crossing the line as Kelvin Wilson slid in to clear

Blunder: Gallagher was referring to this incident where the additional assistant referee appeared to miss Alessandro Matri's shot crossing the line as Kelvin Wilson slid in to clear

Gallagher said: ‘The problem for me is I don’t think there is any tangible evidence that they do anything.

‘But for a Juventus player following up a shot very, very quickly we could have had another Holocaust last night.

‘I am convinced that the assistant and the guy on the goal line don’t know the ball is in.’

His comments instantly created a storm on Twitter and presenters Rob Wooton and Hayley McQueen apologised live on air minutes later.

Hot water: Gallagher was speaking on Sky Sports News this morning

Hot water: Gallagher was speaking on Sky Sports News this morning

Daniel Dowle posted: ‘And that kids could be the end of Dermot Gallagher on sky sports, don’t think anybody will miss him.’

Peter Mackinnon wrote: ‘Don’t think dermot gallagher will be on sky sports again.’

Gary Neville backed by Sky and FA after Richard Keys attack

FA and Sky back Neville after former host Keys accuses pundit of having an agenda

” class=”blkBorder” />

England expects: Neville is part of Roy Hodgson's staff, and was at Euro 2012

He faced criticism yesterday from England goalkeeping legend Gordon Banks, who said: 'I was very upset to hear Gary Neville talking about how the players were disgusted with him (De Gea), how they were looking at him after he hadn't punched the ball quite clear. I thought, “Hang on a minute, everybody makes mistakes in matches”.

'I found it a bit strange that he (Neville) was saying they'd go back in the dressing room and give De Gea a telling-off.'

Robbie Keane training with Tottenham

Robbie returns to Tottenham… but he's only there to train

with Galaxy and Ireland.

'It's been a long season, with the Euros and what have you. I've a few little niggles that need to be sorted out so I don't think at this moment in time it would be right for me to go anywhere,' he told Sky Sports.

Galaxy of stars: Keane in action with David Beckham for the American side

Galaxy of stars: Keane in action with David Beckham for the American side

Joe Root not resting on laurels after England beat India

Long way to go: Root not resting on laurels after Rajkot win

By
Mike Dawes

PUBLISHED:

11:07 GMT, 12 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

12:04 GMT, 12 January 2013

Joe Root is confident England will not rest on their breakthrough success over India in yesterday's first one-day international.

England claimed a first 50-over win over India on their home soil in seven years, and 13 games, after securing a nine-run success in Rajkot.

The tourists had been whitewashed 5-0 in their previous two visits but, after a long-awaited Test success in the country last month, Root said the limited overs team would not get ahead of themselves in the five-match series.

Runs: Root was not required to bat in the first ODI as England racked up 325-4

Runs: Root was not required to bat in the first ODI as England racked up 325-4

'We all know how tough it is out here and there is still a long way to go in the series,' he told Sky Sports News.

'We are all up for it and ready to go for the second match (in Kochi on Tuesday).

'We are only concentrating on the next game and making sure we put in a good performance like we did in the first ODI. If we do that then we will be up there.'

Root was not required to bat on his ODI debut yesterday as England posted 325-4 on the back of a 158-run opening stand between Alastair Cook (75) and Ian Bell (85).

Partnership: Bell (85) and captain Cook (75) shared an opening stand of 158

Partnership: Bell (85) and captain Cook (75) shared an opening stand of 158

The 22-year-old revealed he had begun the day expecting to come in at four but, after England's start, was shunted down the order.

It meant his nine handy overs of part-time spin – which conceded 51 runs – were his major contribution, although the Yorkshireman was hardly complaining.

'I was told I was going to bat four but the key to success everywhere is being able to adapt and we did that fantastically well yesterday,' he said.

'We're going to have to continue to do that throughout the tour if we are to be successful.

'I'm happy to play and be a part of it all so I'm not worried at all.'

Picture dispute

We are unable to carry live pictures due to a dispute between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and international news organisations.

The BCCI has refused access to venues to established picture agencies Getty Images and Action Images and other Indian photographic agencies.

MailOnline consider this action to be a strike against press freedom and supports the action to boycott BCCI imagery.

Sepp Blatter claims racism won"t be solved by running away like Kevin-Price Boateng and AC Milan

Racism will not be solved by 'running away' like Boateng and Milan, claims Blatter

By
Adam Shergold

PUBLISHED:

12:23 GMT, 10 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

12:35 GMT, 10 January 2013

FIFA president Sepp Blatter has urged players not to leave the pitch in protest if they are subjected to racist abuse, saying 'running away' is not a long-term solution to stopping discrimination.

It follows the actions of AC Milan player Kevin-Price Boateng, who led his teammates off the field after being abused during a friendly with Italian lower league club Pro Patria last week.

Boateng was highly praised for his protest, including by Blatter, but the football chief warned that a repeat in the future would not make the problem go away.

Not a solution: FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Kevin-Prince Boateng's protest (below) was not the right way to stamp racism out of the game

Not a solution: FIFA president Sepp Blatter said Kevin-Prince Boateng's protest (below) was not the right way to stamp racism out of the game

Protest: Kevin-Prince Boateng leads his AC Milan teammates from the field after being subjected to racist abuse

'If you remember the Boateng problem and him running away, I made a comment on that and I still have the same feeling – it was good what he has done in order to give this impact by saying: “Listen – look at what has happened,” Blatter told Sky Sports News.

'But it can't be the solution because you can never solve any problem in your life – in your private life, in your public life, wherever – by running away.

'This is now to day “Listen, if you don't take care of our sport, we will do it.” It was a warning, but it can't be the solution.'

Protest: Boateng wears an

Protest: Boateng wears an “AC Milan against racism” t-shirt before the Serie A match with Siena last weekend

Blatter went on to make some vague promises about calling a meeting to discuss the problem of racism in the game.

He said: 'What we shall do now – and I am thinking about this – we shall make a kind of summit or discussion with all the actors concerning discrimination and racism.

'There must be a lot of solidarity and understanding that we have to eradicate it. But it can only be done if all the actors are participating, and actors are also the spectators.'

The full interview with Sepp Blatter will be shown on Sky Sports News HD Special Report at 7.30pm on Monday

Nick Harris: Well back player walk-offs over racism, says union chief Carlisle

We'll back player walk-offs over racism, says union chief Carlisle

Tour de France winner Bradley Wiggins in the vanguard, they want to be seen as the pioneers of a new, clean era in cycling.

Some critics argue that Team Sky's 'no drugs' policy evidently failed in as much as it did not prevent past dopers from working with them.

Any confession by Armstrong could rest on whether he is guaranteed immunity from prosecution for perjury after lying in court cases in the past about his doping.

Ryan Nelsen thinks QPR can win crucial Christmas games

QPR skipper Nelsen believes his side can kickstart escape from relegation over Christmas

|

UPDATED:

12:14 GMT, 25 December 2012

QPR captain Ryan Nelsen believes the team can 'sneak' some wins over the festive season as they bid to escape relegation from the Barclays Premier League.

Harry Redknapp's side are six points from safety, ahead of home games against West Brom and Liverpool and an away match with Chelsea.

New Zealander Nelsen realises the severity of the situation – but believes the congested programme at this time of the year can work in their favour.

Belief: Ryan Nelsen (right) says QPR can sneak some wins at Christmas

Belief: Ryan Nelsen (right) says QPR can sneak some wins at Christmas

He said: 'We've got to start producing some points, hopefully starting tomorrow (against West Brom).

'We've been almost there in a lot of games but it's not good enough – we need some 90-minute performances.

'We've got to dig deep and play every game like it's our last and claw our way back.

'Over Christmas you can sneak wins because the games come thick and fast.'

Redknapp believes keeping the west London side in the top flight would rank as one of his biggest achievements in the game and Nelsen thinks the 65-year-old is the man for the job.

He added on Sky Sports News: 'If anyone can help you it's him. The players have the motivation but he's already made an impact through his man-management.

Time to shine: Harry Redknapp needs his players to get going

Time to shine: Harry Redknapp needs his players to get going

Frank Lampard says half-time discussion was key to beating Leeds

Half-time discussion was the key, says Lampard after Chelsea smash Leeds

|

UPDATED:

22:58 GMT, 19 December 2012

Frank Lampard revealed a dressing-room discussion at half-time sparked Chelsea's revival as they came from behind to beat Leeds 5-1 in the Capital One Cup quarter-finals.

Chelsea had trailed to a Luciano Becchio strike but turned the match at Elland Road around with goals from Juan Mata, Branislav Ivanovic, Victor Moses, Eden Hazard and Fernando Torres.

'We upped it,' said Lampard on Sky Sports News. 'In the first half we weren't at our best, a bit slow with the tempo of the game and we gave a away silly goal that allowed them to score.

Turnaround: Frank Lampard (right) said Chelsea knew they had to up their game after the break

Turnaround: Frank Lampard (right) said Chelsea knew they had to up their game after the break

'Once we upped it with a bit of pace in our game you could see a big difference. We had a word with ourselves at half-time.'

Chelsea flew back into London from the Club World Cup on Monday, but the journey from Japan did not appear to take any toll in the second half, especially once Mata equalised just a minute after the restart.

Lampard said: 'We didn't make the greatest preparation but there's no excuse, we had to up it.

'The early goal gave us the impetus, we believed from then on and we didn't think we could lose the game.

'Some of the football we played, we opened them up and showed what we could do.'

Leeds manager Neil Warnock saw his team end the first half on top.

'But to concede as early as that (in the second half) against world-class players you're going to be in trouble,' Warnock said.

'It was such a relief from them to get back into the game. Then they took over and were too good for us.'

Mata's goal owed a lot to a fumbled attempt at a save from Jamie Ashdown in the Leeds goal.

'When you're a goalie you make a mistake and it counts. When you're anywhere else on the pitch you get away with it,' Warnock said.

'I don't think the scoreline reflects the game but I've got no complaints. I thought it was a great cup tie for an hour.'

Congratulations: Rafa Benitez speaks to his troops as they walk off the pitch at full-time

Congratulations: Rafa Benitez speaks to his troops as they walk off the pitch at full-time

Interim Chelsea boss Rafael Benitez was delighted by his side's performance in the second half, especially after their exertions in Japan.

'The team was quite good in the first half and the reaction of the team in the second half was fantastic after coming back from Japan, jet lag, changing some players… the reaction was amazing,' Benitez said.

'We were looking for character and we talked about it at half-time.'

Tucked away: Juan Mata equalised but Jamie Ashdown should have done better

Tucked away: Juan Mata equalised but Jamie Ashdown should have done better