Tag Archives: shock

WORLD SNOOKER CHAMPIONSHIP 2013: Shaun Murphy beats Graeme Dott

Shock treatment riles Dott as Murphy battles to second round win in gripping battle

By
Ivan Speck

PUBLISHED:

23:05 GMT, 26 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

23:51 GMT, 26 April 2013

DM.has('shareLink', 'shareLinks',
'id': '2315566',
'title': 'Shock treatment riles Dott as Murphy battles to second round win in gripping battle',
'url': 'http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-2315566/WORLD-SNOOKER-CHAMPIONSHIP-2013-Shaun-Murphy-beats-Graeme-Dott.html',
'eTwitterStatus': 'WORLD%20SNOOKER%20CHAMPIONSHIP%202013:%20Shaun%20Murphy%20beats%20Graeme%20Dott%20http://bit.ly/11qOjkB%20via%[email protected]'
);

Graeme Dott lost a gripping late night second round encounter 13-11 to Shaun Murphy but it was the shock treatment he endured in the morning session which jarred him most.

The Scot felt a static shock every time he played a shot close to the cushion and refused to play on until an official sprayed the carpet with water.

Happy days: Shaun Murphy celebrates his win at the Crucible

Happy days: Shaun Murphy celebrates his win at the Crucible

Shaking hands: Murphy and Dott after their gripping second round clash

Shaking hands: Murphy and Dott after their gripping second round clash

Dott said: ‘I had it once before in Ireland and they watered the carpet there so that’s why I told them to do that today.

‘It was every shot and if it wasn’t
the big shocks I was getting little ones constantly. They wanted me to
finish the frame before they watered the carpet. I refused because it’s
not fair to get an electric shock every time you touch the table.

Murphy, winner here in 2005, said: ‘I
could hear the crack of the shots but I thought water and electricity
together was bad, so I don’t get it.

'I've never seen a man out there spraying the carpet. I thought it was weird.'

On the ball: Murphy battled through to the last eight in Sheffield

On the ball: Murphy battled through to the last eight in Sheffield

Scot of bother: Graeme Dott lost a dramatic second round match

Scot of bother: Graeme Dott lost a dramatic second round match

Dott battled back superbly from 6-2
down to draw level at 8-8 going into the concluding session on Friday
night. The two remained level at 10-10, before Murphy crucially won a
frame that lasted nearly an hour on a re-spotted black.

He then won the next to move 12-10 in
front, and even though 2006 champion Dott stayed alive by winning the
23rd frame, Murphy kept his nerve to book his place in the last eight.

Dott said afterwards: 'It was a good game to be involved in. I played well this morning but yesterday I kept missing unbelievable balls. You don't win many matches where you lose the first session 6-2. I think Shaun played well tonight and was stronger than me, and he deserved to win.'

Murphy said: 'Finishes like that are great fun. That's the whole point of being a snooker player, those moments there. I've lost my fair share of late-night Crucible matches and it's nice to come through one of them.'

Elsewhere on Friday night, world No 1 Mark Selby edged 9-7 ahead against Barry Hawkins.

Earlier in the day, 2011 runner-up Judd Trump fired in breaks of 109, 127 and 112 in building a 6-2 lead against Marco Fu.

Kevin Davies to be released by Bolton after a decade at the Reebok

'Shocked' Bolton legend Davies to be released after a decade at the Reebok (and the club told him on his birthday!)

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

19:58 GMT, 26 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:13 GMT, 27 March 2013

Kevin Davies has been left shocked and hurt after discovering he is being released by Bolton at the end of the season.

The former England striker, who turned 36 on Tuesday, is out of contract in the summer and he has been told he will not be offered an extension by the Championship side.

Davies, who has made more 400 appearances and scored 84 goals during a 10-year spell at Bolton, admits he has been taken aback by the news as he had hoped to finish his career at the Reebok Stadium.

Finest hour: Kevin Davies scores for Bolton against Bayern Munich to secure an improbable 2-2 draw in the Allianz Arena in 2007

Finest hour: Kevin Davies scores for Bolton against Bayern Munich to secure an improbable 2-2 draw in the Allianz Arena in 2007

Davies celebrates

He told talkSPORT: 'It was a bit of a shock. I was shocked at the time and it's not quite sunk in yet, but these things happen.

'I've had clubs come in for me down the years but always turned them away because I've been so happy here. I always wanted to stay here and finish my career here, and hoped to go into a coaching role. That's maybe why it's shocked me so much.'

The former Blackburn and Southampton centre forward, who will look at the possibility of going out on loan in the next few days, insists he has no intention of hanging up his boots yet, however.

Aerial ultra: Davies scores with his head against Tottenham and (below) Chelsea

Aerial ultra: Davies scores with his head against Tottenham and (below) Chelsea

Kevin Davies scores against Chelsea

'I've had a few clubs come in for me so I'm not going to start panicking about retiring just yet. I want to carry on for at least a couple more years yet. It hurts right now, but hopefully by the end of this season I'll have a new challenge ahead of me,' he said.

Davies also revealed his contract runs out just before he is due a testimonial at Bolton, although the Bolton News report that the striker could still get one if he asks the club.

He said: 'It would have been nice to have one as a thank you for what I've done.

'I was aware when I signed [a new deal] last year it was running short, and the club said they might extend it for a week or two [to get to the testimonial] but I don't think that will happen.

Leading from the front: Davies's all-action style has made the Bolton captain a hero at the Reebok

Leading from the front: Davies's all-action style has made the Bolton captain a hero at the Reebok

Kevin Davies challenge

Yellow peril: Davies, here challenging Tom Cleverley, has been booked 99 times in the Premier League

Yellow peril: Davies, here challenging Tom Cleverley, has been booked 99 times in the Premier League

'Right now it's difficult for me to take but I need to keep my head up. It's going to be hard to try to keep involved, but I just have to try my best.'

Bolton manager Dougie Freedman told the club's official website: 'Kevin Davies is and always will be a Wanderers legend.

'I want to be fair to him as regards his future, as he deserves it. This decision means that he is now free to sort himself out with a new club in plenty of time for next season.'

International man of history: Davies became the second oldest player to make his England debut, against Montenegro in 2010 at the age of 33

International man of history: Davies became the second oldest player to make his England debut, against Montenegro in 2010 at the age of 33

Nile Ranger has left Newcastle United by mutual consent

Ranger in shock St James' exit after leaving Newcastle by 'mutual consent'

PUBLISHED:

19:13 GMT, 1 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

19:15 GMT, 1 March 2013

Nile Ranger

Troubled striker Nile Ranger has left Newcastle after his contract was cancelled by mutual consent.

The 21-year-old was in late January released on bail after being arrested on suspicion of rape.

A statement from the club tonight said: 'Newcastle United can confirm that Nile Ranger has today left the club by mutual consent.'

Ranger posted on his Twitter page that he is 'happy' at the decision.

More to follow…

Gone: Troubled striker Nile Ranger has left Newcastle United by 'mutual consent'

Gone: Troubled striker Nile Ranger has left Newcastle United by 'mutual consent'

Millwall to investigate allegations of racism after TV cameras pick up abusive fans

Millwall to investigate allegations of racism after TV cameras pick up abusive fans

Olympics, has faced racial abuse on social media websites.

He said: 'We're a developed, multi-cultural society. It's surprising it can still go on – but it doesn't exactly shock me.

'We can't be silent about it. We need to make people aware that there is a problem going on and only when people are aware of the problem can it be sorted out.

'As long as people are brave enough I'd say to come out and say exactly what's happened to them then I think we'll be going in the right direction because the first thing that needs to happen is that we can't be silent about it.'

The 21-year-old admitted abuse can inspire him, adding: 'Sometimes it gives me that bit more fire to prove people wrong and that I can rise above it.'

Wilfried Zaha transfer latest: Manchester United to wrap up 12m deal

Man United set to beat Arsenal to Zaha with Fergie ready to wrap up 12m deal

By
Graeme Yorke

PUBLISHED:

10:25 GMT, 20 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:25 GMT, 20 January 2013

Manchester United hope to have a 12million deal to bring Wilfried Zaha to Old Trafford wrapped up early next week.

The transfer of the 20-year-old forward will represent the biggest cash advance from a Premier League club to a Championship club in history – bigger than the fees paid to Southampton by Arsenal for Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

On his way: Zaha is expected to complete his move to United next week

On his way: Zaha is expected to complete his move to United next week

Palace have always held out for 12m citing the fact Walcott had only played a few games for Saints in 2005 and that Oxlade-Chamberlain had not played at a higher level than League One before his move.

Zaha will earn 35,000-a-week at Old Trafford but will be sent back to Palace on loan until the end of the season. Arsenal are the other club in for him but he is expected to opt for United.

Star: Zaha has been in fine form this season for Palace

Star: Zaha has been in fine form this season for Palace

Zaha has been tracked by United boss Sir Alex Ferguson ever since he impressed in Palace's shock Carling Cup win at Old Trafford back in November 2011.

The Ivory Coast-born star has been in sensational form for Palace this season and made his England debut against Sweden in November.

Nottingham Forest have sacked Frank Clark, Mark Arthur and Keith Burt

Ruthless Forest owners wield axe with long-serving Clark shown exit alongside Arthur and Burt

By
Paul Collins

PUBLISHED:

19:45 GMT, 17 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

20:23 GMT, 17 January 2013

Nottingham Forest have sacked chief executive Mark Arthur, director of recruitment Keith Burt and club ambassador Frank Clark from their roles at the club.

Clark featured in Forest's 1979 European Cup-winning side during his four years as a player, and then returned to manage at the City Ground in 1993.

In 2011 he was appointed chairman of the club, and he has described the decision to get rid of him as 'a real shock.'

Frank Clark (right) had spent many years involved with Nottingham Forest

Shocked: Frank Clark (right) had spent many years involved with Nottingham Forest

Burt ends a seven-year association with the Championship outfit, having played a key role in Sean O'Driscoll's extensive summer recruitment drive.

O'Driscoll was dismissed as manager following Forest's 4-2 Boxing Day victory over Leeds, making way for Alex McLeish.

When contacted to confirm reports of his exit, Clark said: 'Yes that's true, yes. I don't want to say any more about it, for obvious reasons, but that is true.

'It's a shock, it's certainly a shock. Right out of the blue – a real shock.'

Forest have had a big clear-out since sacking Sean O'Driscoll

Wholesale changes: Forest have had a big clear-out since sacking Sean O'Driscoll

Matt Jarvis shows support for gay footballers in Attitude magazine interview

Coming out could help a gay footballer play better, suggests Jarvis as West Ham winger aims to tackle homophobia

By
Declan Warrington

PUBLISHED:

21:54 GMT, 3 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

23:29 GMT, 3 January 2013

West Ham winger Matt Jarvis has insisted it is time a gay footballer felt comfortable enough to come out and believes that doing so could aid an individual's on-pitch performances.

Jarvis has followed the leads of David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg to become only the third footballer to feature on the cover of the UK's bestselling gay magazine, Attitude, and is confident that homophobia would not be a significant problem.

'It's everyday life,' said Jarvis, who is married. 'It's not something that's going to be a shock.

Supportive: Jarvis believes gay footballers need no longer fear a backlash

Supportive: Jarvis believes gay footballers need no longer fear a backlash

'I'm sure there are many footballers who are gay, but when they decide to actually come out and say it, it is a different story. It's one that I'm sure they've thought about many times. But it's a hard thing for them to do.'

When asked if being out could improve a player's performance, Jarvis responded: 'I'd agree with that. Because you've always got something you're worried about at the back of your mind.

'If you can let that go and then just concentrate on your one goal, which is whichever sport you're doing to the best of your ability, I think that would help. Definitely.'

Record: Jarvis, at 10.75m, is West Ham's club record signing

Record: Jarvis, at 10.75m, is West Ham's club record signing

The first 1m black footballer Justin Fashanu famously came out in 1990
but became the victim of considerable abuse and killed himself eight
years later, and the only player to come out since is Anton Hysen of the
Swedish lower leagues.

Jarvis, however, believes a modern player would receive greater backing and acceptance if he decided to do the same.

'There'd be support everywhere within the football community, whether it be players, fans or within the PFA [Professional Footballers' Association],' Jarvis explained. 'There would definitely be groups of people who would be supportive and help them through it.'

Tragic: The loss of Justin Fashanu may have discouraged other gay footballers from coming out

Tragic: The loss of Justin Fashanu may have discouraged other gay footballers from coming out

Attitude's editor, Matthew Todd, however, believes football has a problem with homophobia and needs to tackle it in the same way it is racism.

'It's ridiculous that there are no openly gay players in professional football,' Todd said.

'There's rightly been a focus on ridding the beautiful game of racism, but there doesn't seem to be much effort to tackle homophobia.

Lion: Jarvis on international duty with England's senior side

Lion: Jarvis on international duty with England's senior side

'We know there are gay players – and fans who support the game religiously – so I hope this starts a discussion and is a small step in the right direction.'

Ryan Shawcross could leave Stoke City

City consider Shawcross bid as Stoke skipper stalls on signing new deal

|

UPDATED:

23:48 GMT, 29 December 2012

Stalling: Shawcross has been offered a six-year deal

Stalling: Shawcross has been offered a six-year deal

England defender Ryan Shawcross may be a shock departure from Stoke in the transfer window if he doesn’t sign a six-year deal offered recently.

The club are unhappy at the prospect of the 25-year-old running down the last 18 months of his deal. Manchester City like him, and could be tempted to make a move for the former Manchester United man.

Shawcross, who made his England debut in November, has earned rave reviews this season as Tony Pulis' side have gatecrashed the top half of the Premier League.

John Mitchell quits Sale Sharks

Sale shock as Mitchell quits just a month into job at Premiership's bottom club

|

UPDATED:

20:50 GMT, 29 December 2012

On his way: Mitchell has quit Sale

On his way: Mitchell has quit Sale

Sale's turbulent season took another turn for the worse yesterday when coach John Mitchell resigned after just a month in the job.

Friday night’s narrow Aviva Premiership win over Worcester seemed to have signalled the start of a resurgence, but the 48-year-old on Saturday shocked owner Brian Kennedy by announcing he was standing down with immediate effect.

‘John has had to return to South Africa for personal reasons, which we respect,’ Kennedy said. ‘We are grateful for his valuable and insightful contributions, albeit for a shorter term than envisaged.’

Millennium Stadium to get new plastic pitch in time for 2015 Rugby World Cup

Artificial pitch to be laid at Millennium Stadium in time for 2015 World Cup

|

UPDATED:

16:01 GMT, 16 December 2012

Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium looks set for a new plastic pitch in time to host the 2015 Rugby World Cup.

The troublesome turf at Millennium Stadium is currently being replaced several times a year and the Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) think an artificial surface would solve the problem.

The steep stands in Cardiff block the sunlight and ground-staff have had well-publicised problems in trying to prepare suitable pitches.

The steep stands at the Millennium Stadium block the sunlight

The steep stands at the Millennium Stadium block the sunlight

Ground-staff have had problems preparing a suitable playing surface

Ground-staff have had problems preparing a suitable playing surface

WRU chief executive Roger Lewis told the Sunday Times an artificial pitch ‘is being given serious consideration. We are looking at the implications.’

A layer of stone, a thick black rubber shock pad and a covering of artificial green yarn 5cm deep with an in-fill of black rubber crumb make up the proposed new surface.

The International Rugby Board have approved the surface with the only sticking point for the WRU being whether it can handle the heavy equipment used for music shows, which provide a good source of revenue.

The Millennium Stadium hosts Welsh rugby internationals including Six Nations matches

The Millennium Stadium hosts Welsh rugby internationals including Six Nations matches

Traditionalists are unhappy that an artificial pitch removes bad bounces and the need for teams to change or adapt their style for the conditions.

The Twickenham pitch was relaid during the close season with a proportion being synthetic turf.

Saracens will move to their new home Allianz Park in February and will become the first team to stage professional rugby on an artificial pitch.

SARACENS LEADING THE WAY

Mouritz Botha of Saracens catches the ball during the Heineken Cup

Saracen’s new 20million stadium Allianz Park will host the first professional rugby union match to be staged on a non-grass surface on February 16 when the home side entertain Exeter Chiefs.

The RFU invested in the new ground in Barnet to give England a place to train should their normal fields be frozen.

The length of the grass yarn has been set by the IRB, and also by FIFA for football purposes, at 50mm. 300 tons of sand is laid to stabilise the surface before 30mm of rubber crumb infill is added.

Installation costs are 530,000 including 100,000 for the first replacement of the grass yarn after 10 years.

An artificial surface is a lot cheaper to maintain than real grass as it just needs to be brushed twice a week to loosen the rubber crumb.