Green could top QPR clearout in plan to cut wage bill after summer spending spree
21:30 GMT, 3 September 2012
Queens Park Rangers will press ahead with plans to slash their wage bill when the emergency loan window reopens.
The Loftus Road club, who remain without a Premier League win this season, spent heavily during the summer transfer window on fresh talent.
High-profile players such as Park Ji-sung, Esteban Granero, Junior Hoilett, Jose Bosingwa and Julio Cesar have all joined Mark Hughes' revolution – but the signings have become a significant burden on a wage bill that was already inflated due to the spending sprees of the previous two transfer windows.
And owner Tony Fernandes will sanction a mini-clear out once the Football League loan window opens later this month, a task which will act as a prelude to a more extensive sale in January.
Short-lived: Rob Green looks set to leave QPR after only signing in the summer
Among others, the likes of Luke Young, DJ Campbell and Rob Hulse will be made available, while goalkeeper Robert Green could also head out on loan after his future at the club was thrown into uncertainty thanks to the capture of Cesar from Inter Milan.
Rangers have already started the cost-cutting exercise, sending out big-earners Joey Barton and Jay Bothroyd on loan to Marseille and Sheffield Wednesday, respectively, during the closing stages of last week's transfer window.
Barton, meanwhile, has been on the receiving end of a scathing attack from former Manchester City team-mate Ousamane Dabo.
Unwanted: DJ Campbell is another who looks set to be cast out of Loftus Road
Barton was handed a four-month suspended jail sentence after assaulting Dabo during a training session.
'He is nasty, a traitor. Sometimes I get the impression we have rolled out the red carpet for him,' Dabo told French newspaper L'Equipe.
'I speak to remind people that Barton is a very violent player, far from the image he tries to portray since arriving at Marseille.
'We condemned Jeremy Menez, Samir Nasri and Yann M'Vila for little things and then the French media is very forgiving with someone who has committed horrible things, as recently as May.
'No one wanted him in England, that means there is probably a reason.
'(With our history) There was a trial, he pleaded guilty and accepted a four-month suspended sentence. When he speaks, he denies it, he said I initiated it.
'All the team members present during the assault testified in my favour. He says he is a man, a bad boy, but he is just a coward.'
Barton responded on Twitter, saying: 'I see Dabo is yet to move on, I feel for him. What happened was unfortunate.
'Next time he should think twice about throwing his weight about. If Ousmane wants to come to a Marseille game, have dinner and discuss it like adults, he's more than welcome anytime.'