Tag Archives: road

Football fan stabbed before Kidderminster v Luton

Kidderminster fan stabbed after coach was attacked on way to match at Luton

By
Richard Vernalls, Press Association

PUBLISHED:

22:20 GMT, 1 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

23:14 GMT, 1 April 2013

A football fan has been stabbed and another taken to hospital after their coach was attacked.

The two men were among five busloads of supporters who had travelled from Kidderminster Harriers in their non-league away fixture against Luton Town FC on Monday.

Bedfordshire Police said that as the coaches queued in traffic about a mile from the Kenilworth Road ground an argument broke out between 'local residents' and the Kidderminster supporters in the rear coach.

Stadium: Kenilworth Road, where the Kidderminster fans were travelling

Stadium: Kenilworth Road, where the Kidderminster fans were travelling

It happened after the game ended as the vehicles were leaving Luton on the return journey, police said.

'It led to the coach being attacked,' said a police spokesman.

'Then some of the supporters got off to remonstrate and a fight ensued.'

Two Kidderminster fans are being treated in hospital for non life-threatening injuries, although one was stabbed twice.

'Four local men have been arrested and a police presence remains in the area where the violence broke out in Dunstable Street near the Mansfield Road junction.

Police said the attackers did not appear to have any connection to Luton Town.

Kidderminster won the Blue Square Bet Premier fixture 2-1, leaving them top of the table.

A spokesman for the East of England Ambulance Service confirmed it had taken two men to hospital.

'Police called us at 5.29pm this afternoon to Mansfield Road, Luton, close to the football ground.

'We conveyed two people, one a 38-year-old man, to the Luton and Dunstable Hospital.'

Steve Millington, chairman of the Kidderminster Harriers Independent Supporters Trust, said: 'We deplore the attack on the coach.

'This shouldn’t happen in football or in society in general.

'We’re pleased to hear the injuries to the lad who was stabbed are not thought to be life-threatening and wish both those who were taken to hospital a speedy recovery.'

Nicklas Bendtner drink driving incident: Striker booked by police after being on "wrong side of the road"

Bendtner in trouble after 'drunken driving on wrong side of the road'

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

14:09 GMT, 3 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

14:12 GMT, 3 March 2013

Nicklas Bendtner has been booked by police for what he described as 'a mild case of drink driving'.

The Arsenal striker, currently on loan at Juventus, was allegedly driving on the wrong side of the road in Copenhagen.

He apologised for his actions on his Twitter account, saying: 'Dear friends, I was booked for a mild case of drink driving last night.

Whoops: Nicklas Bendtner apologised on Twitter for drink-driving

Whoops: Nicklas Bendtner apologised on Twitter for drink-driving

'It was a quiet night but I am very very sorry to all my friends and fans.

'It is not OK to drink and drive. I take full responsibility.'

Bendtner, 25, who has not scored for the Italian side in nine appearances is set to return to the Emirates at the end of the season.

Swansea to bid 7m for Thomas Ince

Swansea set to spark 7m bidding war with Liverpool for Blackpool star Ince

By
Paul Collins

PUBLISHED:

09:45 GMT, 12 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

09:46 GMT, 12 January 2013

Swansea are reportedly ready to hijack Liverpool's bid for Thomas Ince with a 7million offer for the Blackpool midfielder.

Ince, 20, had been expected to complete a move back to Anfield when the transfer window opened but Brendan Rodgers has been frustrated in his atttempts to complete the deal.

Blackpool rejected an opening offer of 5m and Liverpool are yet to return with an improved bid.

Wanted: Thomas Ince has attracted interest from Liverpool and Swansea

Wanted: Thomas Ince has attracted interest from Liverpool and Swansea

And that could leave the door open for Swansea to swoop, according to The Times.

Ince was originally released by Liverpool just 18 months ago and joined Blackpool for 250,000.

He has impressed at Bloomfield Road, scoring 13 goals this season and recently insisted he is happy to remain with the Championship club.

In the market: Ince has long been a target for Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers

In the market: Ince has long been a target for Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers

'My future right now is here,' he said. 'I’m a Blackpool player, I’m contracted to Blackpool and I’ll continue to give 100 per cent for this team.

'I don’t only do it for myself and for the fans but I do it for my team-mates.

'These lads are a great bunch of lads. The team spirit in this team is fantastic.'

Liverpool have not made new bid for Tom Ince – Michael Appleton

No new Liverpool offer for 7m-rated Ince, claims Blackpool boss Appleton

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

10:10 GMT, 2 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:11 GMT, 2 January 2013

Blackpool manager Michael Appleton insists Liverpool have yet to return with an improved offer for winger Thomas Ince.

The 20-year-old initially left Anfield 18 months ago and has blossomed at Bloomfield Road, scoring 13 goals in the Championship this season.

Wanted: Thomas Ince is expected to complete his return to Liverpool

Wanted: Thomas Ince is expected to complete his return to Liverpool

Liverpool had an offer rejected for Ince last month and Appleton is confident the youngster will be in the side to face Fulham in the FA Cup on Saturday.

'We have not heard anything since an initial Liverpool approach a couple of weeks ago,' he said.

'As far as I am aware Thomas will have a day off tomorrow like everyone else and come back to prepare for the next game with us.'

Back in the day: Ince (right) played for Liverpool before leaving for Blackpool

Back in the day: Ince (right) played for Liverpool before leaving for Blackpool

Blackpool are believed to be holding out for 7million a player who left Liverpool for just 250,000 in compensation.

Liverpool manager Brendan Rogers is
planning to unveil a new attack in January with Chelsea's Daniel
Sturridge set to join in the coming days.

Harry Redknapp in talks with Liverpool over taking Joe Cole on loan to QPR

Redknapp in talks over taking Cole on loan with a view to buy… if QPR stay up

|

UPDATED:

22:45 GMT, 30 December 2012

Queens Park Rangers manager Harry Redknapp is closing in on a reunion with Joe Cole.

Sportsmail revealed the Loftus Road club’s interest in Cole on November 30 and Rangers have now opened talks with Liverpool — who beat them 3-0 — over a January switch for the midfielder, 31, who was given his professional debut by Redknapp at West Ham in 1998.

London-bound: Joe Cole has started talks with QPR about a loan move in January

London-bound: Joe Cole has started talks with QPR about a loan move in January

Redknapp is hoping to seal a loan deal ahead of a permanent move if Rangers avoid relegation.

But if Cole and Liverpool agree a severance package for the 18 months left on his 90,000-per-week deal, he could join permanently next month.

Fresh faced: Harry Redknapp and Cole in 1999

Fresh faced: Harry Redknapp and Cole in 1999

Thomas Ince prepared to see out season at Blackpool as Liverpool argue over 6m fee

Ince prepared to be patient and see out season at Blackpool as Liverpool argue over 6m fee

|

UPDATED:

09:44 GMT, 20 December 2012

Thomas Ince is prepared to sit tight at Blackpool and run down his contract if the Championship club fail to agree a fee with Liverpool.

Ince, 20, believed the deal with Brendan Rodgers' side was almost done, but there is hitch over the price.

The England Under 21 winger's contract at Bloomfield Road is up at the end of the season and an FA tribunal would have to set the fee.

Man in the middle: Liverpool want to sign Blackpool winger Thomas Ince

Man in the middle: Liverpool want to sign Blackpool winger Thomas Ince

Blackpool want 6m for Ince, but Liverpool are offering substantially less for a player they released 18 months ago.

Liverpool still have a 30 per cent sell-on clause in Ince's contract, but the Blackpool wideman is determined to return to Anfield.

He has scored 13 times for Michael Appleton's side and has contributed 15 assists from his position on the wing.

Blackpool are already in dialogue with Liverpool about the January move, but it is being held up by the Tangerines' playing hardball.

Rodgers, who is short of attacking options because of Andy Carroll's loan move to West Ham and the long-term injury to Fabio Borini, needs the deal done in the transfer window.

Peterborough 1 Blackpool 4 – match report:

Peterborough 1 Blackpool 4: Inspired Ince turns on style to put sorry Posh to the sword

PUBLISHED:

17:43 GMT, 1 December 2012

|

UPDATED:

17:43 GMT, 1 December 2012

Thomas Ince scored two and created another to propel Blackpool to a 4-1 win against lowly Peterborough at London Road.

Wes Thomas opened the scoring for the visitors before Ince, who provided the cross for the first goal, made it 2-0 from the spot.

Dwight Gayle grabbed one back for Posh, but goals from Nouha Dicko and a second for Ince sealed the points for Blackpool late on.

Inspired: Tom Ince scored two and set up another

Inspired: Tom Ince scored two and set up another

MATCH FACTS

Peterborough: Olejnik, Alcock (Rowe 58), Brisley, Little (Ferdinand 78), McCann, Newell, Knight-Percival, Thorne, Tomlin, Boyd (Swanson 55), Gayle

Subs not used: Day, Zakuani, Kearns, Gordon-Hutton

Blackpool: Gilks, Crainey, Baptiste, Basham, Cathcart, Broadfoot, Gomes, Osbourne (Dicko 80), Ince, Thomas (K Phillips 87), Delfouneso (Angel 80)

Subs not used: Halstead, Eardley, Harris, Sylvestre

Referee: Webb

Attendance: 5,633

The latest Championship table, results and fixtures

Posh started the day rooted to the
bottom of the npower Championship after a dismal November, which saw
them beaten on five occasions as they picked up only a single point away
at Ipswich.

Blackpool were also looking to end a
winless run, with Appleton picking up four straight draws since starting
his tenure at Bloomfield Road.

The Seasiders took the early
initiative, with Craig Cathcart's header from six yards drawing the
first save of the match from Robert Olejnik after a decent free-kick was
whipped in from just outside the box by Ince.

They continued to press as Tiago Gomes blasted a speculative effort from 30 yards that went just over the bar.

But Posh fired Appleton's side a
warning shot shortly afterwards as George Boyd found himself clean
through on goal and his left-footed strike forced Matt Gilks into a fine
save with his feet.

Two minutes into the second half
Blackpool's Chris Basham picked up a yellow card for a foul on Mark
Little as Peterborough started well. It was his fifth booking of the
season so he will miss the trip to Crystal Palace next week.

Before long the away side began to exert themselves on proceedings again, taking the lead in the 51st minute through Thomas.

Ince, a constant threat, played a delightful ball from the left-hand side which Thomas met perfectly to send it past Olejnik.

Appleton's side had their tails up now
and their second goal arrived from the spot after Thomas was brought
down by Shaun Brisley in the 57th minute.

Ince stepped up to send the keeper the wrong way and score in the bottom-left corner.

Posh came back at Blackpool, throwing
everything they had at them, and they were rewarded when Gayle pounced
on a back-pass from Alex Baptiste to pull one back in the 70th minute.

But any hopes of a comeback were
dashed 12 minutes later as Dicko slid in to connect with Angel
Martinez's cross and make it 3-1.

Blackpool were not done as Ince capped
off a fine individual performance with a superb strike from 20 yards
that sailed into the top-left corner.

Aleksandar Kolarov: Manchester City are best team in Premier League

City are the best team in the Premier League… nobody can beat us, claims Kolarov

|

UPDATED:

22:30 GMT, 13 November 2012

Aleksandar Kolarov rounded on Manchester City's critics on Tuesday and claimed they are unbeatable when they show the spirit that carried them to a dramatic win over Tottenham.

Despite not hitting peak form so far, City remain the only unbeaten side in the Barclays Premier League and are just two points off top spot after overturning a 1-0 deficit against Tottenham on Sunday.

'I understand why we get so much criticism, but if we carry on playing with the same spirit we showed against Spurs, nobody can beat us,' declared the City left-back.

Up for the battle: Kolarov (left) believes City can now go unbeaten

Up for the battle: Kolarov (left) believes City can now go unbeaten

'Everyone wants to, because we are the champions and we haven't lost this season. The smallest teams and the biggest teams, they all want to beat us and they all give 200 per cent to try and do it.

'We may have lost games in the Champions' League, but I think we are still the best team in the Premier League. Beating Spurs was a big step, not just for the three points but because we had a good spirit. We need to stay on this road, train well and keep playing to this level.'

Kolarov admitted misgivings over City's zonal marking system and urged team-mate Edin Dzeko to shrug aside any frustration at not being in the starting line-up.

'We need to improve on set-pieces, because we conceded two goals against Ajax in the Champions' League and then another on Sunday,' he said.

On target: Kolarov urged unsettled Dzeko to concentrate on the job in hand

On target: Kolarov urged unsettled Dzeko to concentrate on the job in hand

'We mark from zone to zone but nobody knows who needs to mark the player.

'It is important for us that Edin continues to score, whether from the bench or starting. It is tough, but not just for him. It is the same for me and others who do not play every game. It is hard to keep your form at a high level, but we are professional and need to accept it is the manager's choice.'

Bradley Wiggins and Shane Sutton road accidents lead calls for government safety drive

Wiggins and Sutton road accidents lead calls for government safety drive

|

UPDATED:

08:38 GMT, 9 November 2012

Two separate road accidents involving Bradley Wiggins and the Tour de France winner’s mentor Shane Sutton have prompted British Cycling to call for a new Government-led safety drive.

Wiggins’ accident was followed less than 24 hours later by a serious injury to British Cycling’s head coach Sutton, right-hand man to performance director Dave Brailsford.

Wiggins has been released from hospital after a vehicle collided with him on Wednesday evening but Sutton suffered bleeding on the brain following a road accident while on his bike in Manchester on Thursday morning.

Released: Wiggins was hit by a vehicle on Wednesday evening

Released: Wiggins was hit by a vehicle on Wednesday evening

Released: Wiggins was hit by a vehicle on Wednesday evening

A British Cycling spokeswoman said: 'It is extremely rare that our riders and coaches are hurt while out cycling on the road, even rarer that two incidents should occur in a short space of time, and we wish Shane and Bradley a speedy recovery.

'Cycling is not an intrinsically dangerous activity but there is much more to be done to improve conditions for cyclists on the roads.

'British Cycling is calling on the government to put cycling at the heart of transport policy to ensure that cycle safety is built into the design of all new roads, junctions and transport projects, rather than being an afterthought.'

Sutton was wearing a helmet when he was in collision with a Peugeot 206 being driven by a 61-year-old man in Levenshulme.

The British Cyclist spokeswoman added: 'Shane was taken into hospital where it was identified he has suffered bruising and bleeding on the brain.

'Shane was wearing a helmet. He is set to undergo more tests, and is likely to stay in hospital for the next few days.'

Hospitalised: Sutton (left) suffered bruising and bleeding on the brain

Hospitalised: Sutton (left) suffered bruising and bleeding on the brain

After the unfortunate coincidence Brailsford said a greater awareness of cycle safety should be a 'legacy' of the Olympic Games.

Brailsford told the BBC that drivers must understand how vulnerable cyclists can be on the roads.

He said: 'It’s very rare that we have too many accidents … on a day to day basis, but we’ve got to put safety first and I think we would encourage our riders to ride as safely as possible.

'Maybe a legacy of the Games could be a greater awareness and understanding of cycle safety and just how vulnerable they can be on the roads.'

Wiggins, 32, was thrown off his bike when a white Vauxhall Astra Envoy is thought to have pulled out of a petrol station and collided with him.

A police source said his injuries from the crash were thought to be very serious at first, but later it appeared he suffered a number of broken ribs and cuts and bruises.

He was released from hospital on Thursday afternoon.

Awareness: Brailsford (left) has called for increased road safety

Awareness: Brailsford (left) has called for increased road safety

The accident happened at about 6pm on Wednesday in Wrightington, Lancashire, which is near to his family home in Eccleston.

Father-of-two Wiggins is known to regularly embark on training rides around the area’s rural roads.

British Cycling director of policy and legal affairs Martin Gibbs believes Britain has a lot to learn from abroad where there is greater provision on the roads for cyclists.

He told BBC Radio Five Live: 'These incidents do remind you that we’ve got a long way to go we need to look to our cousins abroad and [Denmark capital] Copenhagen and see what they’ve done.

'Around 30 per cent of people making journeys there do so on their bike. We need the department of transport to stop thinking of cycling as an add-on.'

Australian Sutton, 55, has worked with the GB Cycling team since 2002 and has been credited with playing a major role in transforming the fortunes of the sport in this country.

He was awarded an OBE in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list in 2010 for his services to sport.

Celtic v St Mirren, Hearts v Inverness – Communities League Cup semi-final draw

Celtic face St Mirren in League Cup semis as troubled Hearts are drawn against Inverness

|

UPDATED:

15:56 GMT, 8 November 2012

Celtic have been drawn against St Mirren in the semi-final of the Scottish Communities League Cup, with the game taking place at Hampden.

Crisis-hit Hearts, who warned their game against St Mirren on November 17 could be their last after being presented with a winding-up order over a 450,000 tax debt, were drawn to play Inverness with that match taking place at Easter Road.

The games are to be played on the weekend of January 26-27 with the order to be set following consultation with television companies.

Jumping through Hoops: Celtic will play St Mirren in the last four

Jumping through Hoops: Celtic will play St Mirren in the last four