Tag Archives: requirements

Alex Corbisiero hungry for England return v South Africa

Alex wants pizza the action! New diet means England prop is hungry for return (let's hope he'll eat Springbok forwards for breakfast!)

|

UPDATED:

23:14 GMT, 21 November 2012

They have named a pizza after Alex Corbisiero at his favourite Italian restaurant, where his strict gluten-and wheat-free diet is catered for. The owners would be well advised to stock up with the necessary ingredients before Saturday evening.

After a match, the prop heads there for a slap-up meal and Saturday's opponents are sure to leave him with a major appetite. Corbisiero will return to the England front row, charged with galvanising the scrum and playing his part in quelling the might of imposing – and famously carnivorous – Springbok forwards.

The 24-year-old, who was born in New York, says he is in prime condition after overcoming a knee injury, thanks to the benefits of his regulated eating habits. The pizza named in his honour conforms to his precise requirements.

Using his crust: Alex Corbisiero is back to take on the Springboks

Using his crust: Alex Corbisiero is back to take on the Springboks

'There's a restaurant in Kingston called Bruschetta – it's a gluten-and wheat-free Italian restaurant,' said Corbisiero. 'A few of the boys go there now. After a game, when I want to have my “bad” meal, there are not many options so I usually go there. That's the pizza I always get and they've put it on the menu.

'It has a gluten-free base, with buffalo mozzarella which is free of cow's milk, Italian sausage, chicken and pepperoni. It's a nice one.'

Explaining the circumstances behind his healthy eating, he said: 'It's been a year-and-a-half now. I had a blood test – recommended by the nutritionist at London Irish – and it said I was highly intolerant to wheat and gluten. I cut them out and I feel so much better. It's been a massive gain for me and it's helped me keep strict with it rather than breaking it. I've lost a lot of body fat. I'm still heavy, but I've definitely lost excess fat.

'I don't eat wheat or dairy so that cuts out a lot of bad stuff. It keeps me on the straight and narrow. I always felt a bit uncomfortable on game days, especially my stomach. It took a few months, but I'm feeling better, not as lethargic. Digestion, gas, things like that are a lot more comfortable.'

Lifting his game: The prop is on a strict diet

Lifting his game: The prop is on a strict diet

Corbisiero's return to the England team is a big plus for head coach Stuart Lancaster, who needed some encouragement in light of the defeat against Australia last week.

Injury restricted the loosehead to one replacement appearance on tour in South Africa in June. He was forced to pull out of the last Test – which England drew in Port Elizabeth – at the 11th hour, so he harbours a hunger to confront the Boks at Twickenham.

Insisting that he is ready for the ordeal, after two LV Cup games for his club, Corbisiero said: 'When you come into Test rugby you're always going to have to get certain things right as a pack – scrum and lineout, breakdown, physicality. That's especially relevant when you're playing South Africa. We need to make sure we give ourselves the best platform to win.'

His international recall comes at the expense of Joe Marler, who suffered an injury and a few indignities last weekby end, when England's scrum was trumped by an unheralded Australian pack. Corbisiero understands the scrutiny that he and the rest of the home forwards will be under. He knows there is pressure to make amends.

'We have a point to prove,' he said. 'That's going to spur us on. We're going to focus on our attention to detail and our mindset to make sure we rectify that.

Point to prove: England want to make amends for defeat to the Wallabies

Point to prove: England want to make amends for defeat to the Wallabies

'It's not going to be easy against South Africa but we've got to prove that we are a good scrum. Hopefully we'll show that. The boys were a little beaten up but we've got our sleeves rolled up and we know we've got to put a lot of things right. Everyone's really positive and motivated and we're back on the horse.

'South Africa have a heavy pack. They're physical, they're strong, they work together and they work hard. They're very efficient, very confrontational and direct. They're one of the bigger-sized packs in world rugby and you need to meet that challenge.'

Corbisiero will set about putting his words into action, knowing that when he's done and whatever the outcome, a few miles down the road there is a pizza with his name on it.

Castleford seek to redevelop Wheldon Road after scrapping new stadium plan

Castleford seek to redevelop Wheldon Road after scrapping new stadium plan

|

UPDATED:

10:28 GMT, 10 October 2012

Castleford are considering shelving plans for a new stadium and may instead re-develop their existing Wheldon Road ground.

Tigers chief executive Steve Ferres
made the revelation at a meeting at Castleford's Civic Hall on Tuesday night
which he called to update fans on the club's 'precarious' financial
position.

Cash-strapped Castleford need new investment

Cash-strapped Castleford need new investment

Castleford signed a deal last year with developers to sell and redevelop their ground as a supermarket, which would then fund a new 12million stadium at nearby Glasshoughton for which they have received full planning consent.

A move to a new stadium was said to be key to the club retaining their Super League status, especially with neighbours Wakefield making progress on their planned move to a new home.

However, Ferres, who until recently worked as a club support officer for the Rugby Football League, says RFL regulations are being relaxed because of the country's economic difficulties and admitted the club's efforts to build a new stadium had stalled.

'The board of directors agree we need to look at alternative stadium options, including re-development of the existing Wheldon Road site,' Ferres said.

'The RFL are mindful of the testing economic climate and how it is impacting on the game generally.

'As a result, licensing requirements are being relaxed to enable clubs to explore different routes to ensure they achieve Super League status.

'The redevelopment is, therefore, a realistic and much more cost effective option and, after the support we received for it from fans tonight, one which will be given serious consideration.'

Ferres, who is a former chief executive of Wakefield and succeeded Richard Wright at Castleford in July, told the meeting that the club urgently needed new investment and had targeted 5,000 season-ticket holders to ensure its survival.

'The current business model is not working,' he said. 'We are falling short of the Super League's model club and we, therefore, need to look at ways to work smarter and generate new revenue streams.

'We are working in extremely difficult times and it is clear that we aren't the only club to be facing difficulties. Hull KR is one example who has already given an honest assessment of their current challenges.

'Identifying a new investor is integral to the club's future and will be a priority for me as CEO.'

Castleford finished next to bottom of the 14-team Super League in coach Ian Millward's first season after ending the campaign with seven straight defeats and Ferres, a former head coach of Huddersfield, warned fans that the team face a potentially difficult year ahead.

The club have lost 11 members of their 2012 squad and signed new six new players and Ferres revealed that there is little prospect of further additions without extra outside investment.

Ferres admitted the club would be prepared to sell England international Rangi Chase, the 2011 Man of Steel, who has three years left on his contract, if the deal suited the Tigers.

A proposed move to Hull recently fell through but, speaking on the eve of his departure with England for their training camp in South Africa, Chase revealed there is still interest from his former Australian club St George Illawarra and claimed Castleford would be happy for him to go.

Ferres said: 'Any potential interest will be given due consideration and decisions will be made in the best interests of both parties.'

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger renews call for UEFA to limit big spenders

Arsenal boss Wenger renews call for UEFA to limit big spenders

|

UPDATED:

20:59 GMT, 22 September 2012

Arsene Wenger continued his crusade against football's big spenders as he prepared for Sunday's clash at Manchester City.

The Arsenal manager is a leading
supporter of UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulations, which he hopes will
curb the spending of clubs like City and Paris St Germain and help his
team end their seven-year trophy drought.

On a mission: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger gets his point across to Gervinho during a training session

On a mission: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger gets his point across to Gervinho during a training session

'In the end, football suffers,' said Wenger. 'Look what happened in the transfer market this summer. PSG are ambitious, they have resources, and there you go. We always say the same thing. Europe, it's like the Titanic. But we carry on as if nothing matters. More than ever, we need to manage our clubs in a controlled way because otherwise everyone suffers.'

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson urged UEFA to deny Europe's massive spenders a place in the Champions League, adding: 'The qualification requirements for the Champions League are not a victory or second place in the league: you can't enter without an invitation.

'But when someone [PSG] pays 36million for a boy of 19 [Brazilian Lucas Moura] you have to say football has become crazy.'

Jason Kenny awarded world title after Gregory Bauge ruling

Kenny awarded world championship track cycling crown after Bauge doping ruling

Great Britain's Jason Kenny has been confirmed as world champion after cycling's world governing body announced France's Gregory Bauge has been stripped of his title for an anti-doping infringement.

Bauge's results at last year's Track Cycling World Championships were declared null and void after the ruling and Kenny has been awarded the gold medal.

The 22-year-old from Bolton said: “The news came as quite a surprise and whilst it's an honour to get my first senior World Championship title, I would have preferred to have achieved it under different circumstances.

Tarnished: Gregory Bauge (centre) claimed gold ahead of Jason Kenny (left) and Sir Chris Hoy at the track cycling world championships

Tarnished: Gregory Bauge (centre) claimed gold ahead of Jason Kenny (left) and Sir Chris Hoy at the track cycling world championships

'I am looking forward to riding the rest of the season wearing the rainbow jersey.'

Kenny will wear the world champion's rainbow jersey up to the 2012 World Championships, which take place in Melbourne in April.

Bauge, who beat Kenny in the final in
Apeldoorn, Holland, last March, was last November issued with a
one-year back-dated suspension from December 23, 2010 to December 22,
2011 for a 'violation of article 21.4 of the UCI Anti-doping Regulation
(two breaches of applicable requirements regarding rider availability
and one missed test in 18 months)'.

A statement from the International
Cycling Union (the UCI) read: “The UCI today informed the FFC
(Federation Francaise de Cyclisme) that all the results obtained by the
rider and by any team of which he was a member during that period have
been nullified by this decision.

'The UCI is therefore obliged to correct the results of the events in which Gregory Bauge participated during this period.

'As a consequence, the rider and the
French team lose their individual sprint and team sprint titles won at
the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in March 2011.'

Sir Chris Hoy is to be awarded silver behind Kenny after his bronze-medal finish in the individual sprint.

Germany trio Rene Enders, Maximilian
Levy and Stefan Nimke have been given the team sprint crown from France,
with France's Michael D'Almeida and Kevin Sireau stripped of their
title due to team-mate Bauge's offence.

Britain's Kenny, Hoy and Matt Crampton have been promoted from bronze to silver, with Australia awarded third place.

Gregory Bauge crown to go to Jason Kenny

Kenny set to be awarded world championship track cycling crown after Bauge doping ruling

Great Britain's Jason Kenny is poised to be promoted to world champion after cycling's world governing body announced France's Gregory Bauge is to be stripped of his title for an anti-doping infringement.

Bauge, who beat Bolton's Kenny to gold at the Track Cycling World Championships in Apeldoorn, Holland last March, was last November issued with a one-year back-dated suspension from December 23, 2010 to December 22, 2011.

The ruling stated Bauge was punished for a 'violation of article 21.4 of the UCI Anti-doping Regulation' (two breaches of applicable requirements regarding rider availability and one missed test in 18 months).

Tarnished: Gregory Bauge (centre) claimed gold ahead of Jason Kenny (left) and Sir Chris Hoy at the track cycling world championships

Tarnished: Gregory Bauge (centre) claimed gold ahead of Jason Kenny (left) and Sir Chris Hoy at the track cycling world championships

A statement from the International Cycling Union (the UCI) read: 'The UCI today informed the FFC (Federation Francaise de Cyclisme) that all the results obtained by the rider and by any team of which he was a member during that period have been nullified by this decision.

'The UCI is therefore obliged to correct the results of the events in which Gregory Bauge participated during this period.

'As a consequence, the rider and the French team lose their individual sprint and team sprint titles won at the UCI Track Cycling World Championships in March 2011.'

Kenny is therefore set to be promoted to the gold medal position, with Sir Chris Hoy poised to be awarded silver after his third-placed finish.

Germany trio Rene Enders, Maximilian Levy and Stefan Nimke are set to take the team sprint crown from France, with France's Michael D'Almeida and Kevin Sireau stripped of their title due to team-mate Bauge's offence.

Britain's Kenny, Hoy and Matt Crampton are set to be promoted from bronze to silver, with Australia poised to be awarded third place.