Burns' title clash with Vazquez rescheduled for April after Mexican eats dodgy seafood
01:10 GMT, 4 March 2013
21:05 GMT, 4 March 2013
Ricky Burns' world title unification fight against Miguel Vazquez has been rescheduled for April 20.
The Scot was due to tackle the IBF lightweight champion at Wembley Arena on March 16 but the Mexican has been suffering from a severe viral infection after contracting food poisoning from seafood.
Nathan Cleverly's mandatory world light-heavyweight title defence against Robin Krasniqi has also been moved to the later date.
Disappointed: Ricky Burns' fight with Miguel Vazquez has been rescheduled for April 20 at Wembley Arena
A doctor's report dated February 25, seen by Sportsmail, revealed that Vazquez presented with a temperature of 40C along with sickness and a fast heart rate. He was advised to rest for at least 10 days.
Promoter Frank Warren said: 'It’s very unfortunate that Vazquez has had to withdraw so close to the fight, but it is on medical grounds, which is beyond my control, due to his viral infection, and we have his doctor’s certificate confirming this.
'Therefore I have had to postpone the fight, not canceled as stated in some media reports, to Saturday April 20 at Wembley Arena. Everybody is disappointed by this postponement, but we have worked hard to ensure that Ricky’s unification fight still goes ahead.'
Burns, who holds the WBO belt, had earlier revealed his disappointment at the news.
He tweeted: 'Absolutely gutted this fight ain't happening, another training camp n it's fell through! Not only that, feel sorry for the fans, my friends and family who have now booked tickets, flights and hotels for 2 fights for it to fall through. Sorry every1!'
Switch: George Groves will announce his move to rival promoter Matchroom
The 29-year-old had been due to fight first Liam Walsh and then Jose Ocampo last December but both pulled out at short notice.
His fight with Vazquez was announced in January but last month the Mexican cast doubt over whether it would go ahead.
is nothing concrete,' he said. 'I am waiting on the response from the
promoters. If they come to an agreement, there will be a fight.'
The announcement follows the shock defection of George Groves to rival promoter Eddie Hearn which is expected to be confirmed on Monday.
The super-middleweight was also due
to fight on the London card but will instead fight a week earlier at the
same venue on Matchroom's 'London's Finest' bill.
Last man standing: Nathan Cleverly's title defence against Robin Krasniqi has also been rescheduled
A statement from Warren Promotions
confirmed: 'George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show
promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday March 16.
'Groves was due to challenge for the vacant European super-middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11.
'Groves has stated that he is not interested in boxing for the EBU title at this moment and would like to take his choice of fights in another direction.
'Mr Warren would like to wish George all the best with his career and looks forward to working again with him in the near future.'
Cleverly is also reported to have been suffering from a virus which left him unable to train for five days while Dereck Chisora remains hopeful of returning to the ring next month but has yet to have his hearing with the British Boxing Board of Control after his license was revoked last year.