Tag Archives: ndiaye

George Groves stops Dario Balmaceda in third round

Three and easy! Groves packs far too much power for Balmaceda on Matchroom debut

By
Declan Warrington

PUBLISHED:

22:34 GMT, 9 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

00:12 GMT, 10 March 2013

George Groves needed only three rounds to continue his ascent in the super middleweight division ahead of a potential future fight with domestic rival Carl Froch.

He had originally been scheduled to meet Mohamed Ali Ndiaye next Saturday for the European title and in reality against Balmaceda was in with an underwhelming opponent but if there were any concerns about how seriously he was treating the fight then it instantly became apparent they could be dismissed.

Groves, competing for the first time under the Matchroom banner after this week signing a three-fight deal to be Eddie Hearn’s latest recruit, maintained a high workrate throughout and threatened an early finish from the start.

Easy: George Groves stopped Dario Balmaceda during their International Super Middleweight bout

Easy: George Groves stopped Dario Balmaceda during their International Super Middleweight bout

Debut: Groves was making his Matchroom bow after splitting from Frank Warren

Debut: Groves was making his Matchroom bow after splitting from Frank Warren

Weighing in three pounds over the
super middleweight limit and looking significantly big at the weight,
Groves bullied Balmaceda throughout, hurting the Argentinian with a
right hook as the opening round progressed and having regular success
with that same punch later.

It was a right hook to the body that
sent Balmaceda to the canvas after Groves followed his early success by
dominating through to the end of the second round, yet with the stoppage
appearing imminent the bell was to follow even if serving only to delay
the inevitable.

The finish came 58 seconds into the
third with Balmaceda again backed up onto the ropes, Groves throwing a
right hook to the head from which his opponent, having taken a knee and
clearly out of his depth, would not rise.

Pummeled: Groves put his opponent down in the second and then finished him in the third

Pummeled: Groves put his opponent down in the second and then finished him in the third

For the promising super middleweight
it was a workout nonetheless, but one he would have learned little from
and that will need to be more difficult next time out on the undercard
of the unification fight between Mikkel Kessler and Froch.

Lee Purdy earlier enjoyed a ninth-round victory over Cosme River after the Mexican was stopped because of a cut.

Solid: Groves has a perfect record of 17 wins from 17 bouts

Solid: Groves has a perfect record of 17 wins from 17 bouts

Ricky Burns leaves Frank Warren

Burns continues Warren exodus as world champion 'quits' following Vazquez delay

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

09:54 GMT, 7 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:14 GMT, 7 March 2013

Ricky Burns has reportedly become the latest boxer to leave promoter Frank Warren.

The Scottish world lightweight champion has become increasingly frustrated after his unification fight with Miguel Vazquez was rescheduled for April 20.

Burns, 29, had been due to face the Mexican on March 16 at Wembley Arena but Warren released a doctor's certificate which claimed Vazquez was suffering from food poisoning.

Quit: World champion Ricky Burns has left promoter Frank Warren

Quit: World champion Ricky Burns has left promoter Frank Warren

Alex Morrison, Burns' manager, said: 'I regret it has come to this because I have known Frank for nearly 40 years, but it has to be for Ricky's sake.

'I felt we had to do something to stop Ricky stagnating. Two fights have been called off after he has trained hard for them and it was not even certain that the bout with Vazquez would have gone ahead on April 20.

'In fact, I now doubt very much that fight was ever going to happen. Vazquez was supposed to be sick but five days later I'm told he was seen sparring in the States.

Split: Burns with Warren

Split: Burns with Warren

'There were also a lot of issues I wanted settled before Ricky fought again and these were not concluded satisfactorily. I'm quite sorry this has happened, but I have to safeguard Ricky's future and he feels himself that he now wants to move in another direction.'

Burns has not fought since he stopped Kevin Mitchell in Glasgow in September and was left disappointed when first Liam Walsh and then Jose Ocampo pulled out of a proposed bout in December.

Should his departure be confirmed, Burns will follow in the footsteps of George Groves who defected to Matchroom earlier this week after pulling out his European super-middleweight title fight with Mohamed Ali Ndiaye.

Kell Brook, Tony Bellew and James Degale have also left Warren's stable in recent years.

A spokesman for the promoter declined to comment when contacted by MailOnline this morning.