Tag Archives: napoli

Image article-0-169DED38000005DC-301_468x327.jpg

Everton in four-way fight for Italian defender Astori as Saints join race

Everton and Southampton in four-way fight for 8m-rated Italian defender Astori

|

UPDATED:

10:38 GMT, 31 December 2012

Everton and Southampton have targeted Italian defender Davide Astori ahead of the opening of the January transfer window.

The 25-year-old Cagliari centre back – valued at 8million – is also wanted by Juventus and Napoli after impressing since signing from AC Milan.

Southampton are in particular need of defensive reinforcements after conceding 37 goals in 19 Premier League games.

Wanted: Southampton and Everton are keen on Davide Astori (left)

Wanted: Southampton and Everton are keen on Davide Astori (left)

Image article-2229167-15E4B46D000005DC-383_468x335.jpg

Chelsea set to sign Wallace from Fluminense in 5m deal

Chelsea set to beat City and Juve to 5m deal for Brazilian teenager Wallace

|

UPDATED:

11:06 GMT, 7 November 2012

Chelsea are close to finalising a 5million deal for long-term target Wallace from Brazilian side Fluminense.

The European champions have held 40 per cent of the young right-back's economic rights since 2010 following their free transfer of Deco to the Brazilian club.

They have been prompted to tie up a deal now following increased interest from Juventus and Napoli who offered 4.5m for the 18-year-old while Manchester City had also monitored the player.

Bound for the Bridge: Fluminense full-back Wallace (right) is heading to Chelsea

Bound for the Bridge: Fluminense full-back Wallace (right) is heading to Chelsea

Club representatives held further talks in Rio on Tuesday and a deal is expected to be confirmed on Monday after Fluminense hope to have won the Brasileirao Championship.

The Under 20 international, full name Wallace Oliveira Santos, was part of the same Brazil Under 17 side as Chelsea midfielder Lucas Piazon at the 2011 World Cup in Mexico. He could join Piazon at Stamford Bridge in January but a loan back to Fluminense has also been discussed.

Wallace’s agent Frederico Morais said: ‘Wallace and I have talked about Europe, but agreed that he will be best served by staying in Brazil. He now needs to develop more.

‘He actually already has a lot of experience for a player of only 18 years of age.’ Fluminense coach Abel Braga rates Wallace highly.

He said: ‘This kid has an extraordinary future ahead of him. In the attacking third of the field, his level of crossing is superior.’

Image article-0-15D5B769000005DC-709_634x386.jpg

Juventus lose unbeaten record after 49 games to Inter Milan

49…. and out! Juventus' unbeaten Serie A run comes to an end at hands of Inter Milan

|

UPDATED:

22:53 GMT, 3 November 2012

What is it about the number 49 Arsenal's invincibles powered to just that figure before being toppled by Manchester United.

And now Juventus have lost to their Scudetto rivals Inter Milan after reaching the same amount of games without suffering defeat.

This is the first time Antonio Conte's side have ever lost a game at the Juventus Stadium, which was opened on September 8 2011.

Gone: Juventus players mope after losing their record

Gone: Juventus players mope after losing their record

Punisher: Inter hitman Diego Milito struck twice

Punisher: Inter hitman Diego Milito struck twice

The Serie A champions earned the title last year by winning 23 and drawing 15 of their 38 matches.

Winning nine of their first ten fixtures this season showed they had no intentions of slowing down.

And they couldn't have asked for a better start when they took the lead after one minute with an offside goal.

Marko Vucinic played in Kwadwo Asamoah – who was a yard beyond of the last defender – and his low cross-shot was turned in by Arturo Vidal.

But Inter had no plans to let the Old Lady hit 50.

Great start: Arturo Vidal struck in the first minute

Great start: Arturo Vidal struck in the first minute

Fist pump: Milito celebrates as Juve's record come to the ground

Fist pump: Milito celebrates as Juve's record come to the ground

Diego Milito was fouled in the penalty area and slammed home the resultant spot kick.

He struck again 15 minutes later after Buffon parried a Freddy Guarin drive.

Rodrigo Palacio sealed the deal when he pounced late on and secure a fully deserved win for Inter.

Juventus' run started at the back end of the 2010-11 season, with a 2-2 draw against Napoli.

They remain top of the division from the side who turned them over, but how much damage will this do to the Bianconeri mentally

When Arsenal lost their footing against United in October 2004-05 they conceded the title to London rivals Chelsea.

Stretch: Gianluci Buffon is beaten

Stretch: Gianluci Buffon is beaten

Perhaps the greatest shame for Juventus is that unlike Arsenal, they did not topple their country's record for unbeaten consecutive league games.

Fabio Capello's AC Milan side hold that, an astonishing 58 games unbeaten between May 1991 and March 93, winning three Scudettos between 92 and 94.

No matter how great the achievement of 49 games without losing, not beating the Rossoneri's record will rankle.

Image article-2220625-15985FB6000005DC-579_468x341.jpg

Manchester City cannot afford slip-up in Champions League, says Roberto Mancini

No margin for error, says Mancini as City eye Ajax in Champions League test

|

UPDATED:

15:06 GMT, 20 October 2012

Manchester City know there can be little room for error as they return to Champions League action next week.

Roberto Mancini's men travel to Amsterdam for the first of two vital back-to-back games against Ajax anxious to secure a first win of their Group D campaign.

City have collected just one point from their opening two matches against Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund and may fear their second tilt at the competition ending like their first.

European duty: City will trade domestic duty for the Champions League

European duty: City will trade domestic duty for the Champions League

A year ago City faced a similar situation having drawn and lost in their initial outings against Napoli and Bayern Munich. They went on to beat Villarreal twice in succession but still failed to reach the knockout stage despite ending the group with 10 points.

Last season City, fresh from winning their first trophy in 35 years in the FA Cup, could put the disappointment down to experience, but expectations are higher this year.

The club are now Barclays Premier League champions and even though their group is even tougher with three other domestic title-winners to face, there were hopes of a strong challenge.

But being champions does bring with it difficulties, as midfielder Gareth Barry has noticed.

The 31-year-old said: 'It is a strange feeling having won the title last year and coming back. For a lot of the players it was the first title they had won, including myself.

'It's important – you need that desire, that work attitude to produce what you have done again but you are playing against teams week in, week out who are desperate to beat the champions.

No mistakes: City cannot afford to lose another game in Europe

No mistakes: City cannot afford to lose another game in Europe

'They are trying a bit harder than they were last season, they're playing the best team in the country. They are desperate to put one over you and that is what we are facing at the minute.'

City's situation might have been worse but for a superb display by goalkeeper Joe Hart when Dortmund visited the Etihad Stadium earlier this month.

After both sides created numerous chances in a compelling first half, Hart's goal came under siege after Dortmund snatched the lead just after the hour.

Hart produced a string of world-class saves and Mario Balotelli secured a point with a late penalty that at least put City above Ajax, who are bottom of the group after two defeats.

Flat lining: City's European campaign is yet to come to life

Flat lining: City's European campaign is yet to come to life

Andre Villas-Boas: Unbeaten season with Porto better than Chelsea"s European Cup win

My unbeaten season with Porto is better than Chelsea's European Cup win, says Spurs boss Villas-Boas

|

UPDATED:

10:30 GMT, 19 October 2012

Andre Villas-Boas claims his unbeaten season with Porto is a bigger achievement than Chelsea’s Miracle of Munich in the Champions League.

The Tottenham manager, fired by Chelsea last March, took Porto to their 25th Primeira Liga title unbeaten in 2010-11.

They won the treble — including domestic cup and Europa League — and did not lose in 30 league matches.

A night to remember: Villas-Boas celebrates with his Porto players last year after winning the Europa League

A night to remember: Villas-Boas celebrates with his Porto players last year after winning the Europa League

Villas-Boas’s last Champions League game was Chelsea’s 3-1 defeat in the second round against Napoli, but they staged a remarkable recovery under Roberto Di Matteo to go on and lift the European Cup after beating Bayern Munich on penalties.

The Portuguese coach said: ‘Winning any league is extremely difficult but going through it unbeaten is also extremely difficult.

‘Arsenal’s achievement in 2004 was remarkable and outstanding. Like Porto in 2011, it probably won’t be repeated in the modern game.

Spurs boss: Villas-Boas is preparing to face former club Chelsea this weekend

Spurs boss: Villas-Boas is preparing to face former club Chelsea this weekend

‘There were games where we lived on the limit and certainly Arsenal did the same. It will be something extremely difficult to do again.’

Asked what is the bigger achievement — winning the Champions League or going through the season without losing — Villas-Boas said: ‘Remaining unbeaten in the league.’

Image article-2214987-15644224000005DC-345_306x423.jpg

Vito Mannone wanted by inter Miland and Napoli

Inter Milan and Napoli on alert as Mannone waits to open Arsenal contract talks

|

UPDATED:

09:16 GMT, 9 October 2012


No talks: Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone

No talks: Arsenal goalkeeper Vito Mannone

Inter Milan and Napoli are on alert after Vito Mannone admitted he has not discussed a new contract at Arsenal despite his current deal due to expire at the end of the season.

According to reports in Italy, both Serie A giants have been impressed by the once third-choice Italian keeper's start to the season, starting five of their seven Premier League games in the absence of injured No 1 Wojciech Szczesny and understudy Lukasz Fabianksi.

Mannone arrived at the Gunners as a teenager from Atalanta in 2005 and has been at the Emirates for seven years, spending spent loans spells at Barnsley and Hull.

But the 24-year-old insists he is more concerned about keeping his place in the side when Szczesny returns.

'Neither myself nor anyone from my family or friends have spoken about any deal,' he told the club's official website.

'At the moment I am really happy and just focusing on training and playing well.

'I am trying to be the No.1 for this club and win trophies. That is my only concern and I would like to make that clear.

'The boss has given me the chance. I have to keep going and prove myself in every single game.

'This is my best time at Arsenal so I would be crazy to not take the chance to put up a fight for my place.'

Image article-2209798-153EBDB3000005DC-681_468x310.jpg

Newcastle want Seydou Doumbia

Newcastle in three-way fight for 16m-rated CSKA hitman Doumbia

|

UPDATED:

06:00 GMT, 28 September 2012

Newcastle have stepped up their interest in 16million-rated CSKA forward Seydou Doumbia but face stiff competition from Napoli and Lazio.

The Premier League club have watched the Ivory Coast hitman on three occasions as they weigh up a bid.

Doumbia notched 26 goals for the Russian club last season.

Wanted: Seydou Doumbia (left) is a reported target for Newcastle United

Wanted: Seydou Doumbia (left) is a reported target for Newcastle United

He has been capped ten times by his country and Newcaslte are considering a bid in January with the future of Demba Ba up in the air, according to talkSPORT.

Doumbia came to prominence when he scored 57 goals over two seasons for Swiss side Young Boys.

Newcastle boss Alan Pardew, who has signed a new eight-year deal with the club, will hope midfielder Cheick Tiote can convince his countryman to make the switch

Image article-2189403-1493A722000005DC-39_306x423.jpg

Diego Maradona Junior set to join Argentine club El Porvenir

No pressure! Maradona's son set to join third division Argentine club

|

UPDATED:

09:16 GMT, 17 August 2012


Time to shine Diego Junior is poised to move to an Argentine club

Time to shine Diego Junior is poised to move to an Argentine club

The son of football great Diego Maradona is close to joining a third-division Argentine club.

Diego Sinagra Maradona – often known as Diego Junior – is expected to join El Porvenir.

The club's coach says the paperwork is being completed with Diego Junior expected to arrive next week in Argentina.

Diego Junior was born in Italy in
1986, the offspring of a relationship Maradona had with an Italian woman
Cristina Sinagra, while he was playing with Italian club Napoli.

He has had little contact with his father, and, it seems, has none of his football talent.

Diego Junior has played in lower-level clubs in Italy, but says playing in Argentina has always been a wish.

Maradona has not been having a whale of a time himself – he was sacked by United Arab Emirates club Al-Wasl in July.

Lots to live up to: Diego Maradona (pictured) is a football legend

Lots to live up to: Diego Maradona (pictured) is a football legend

Aims: Maradona wants to coach in China

Aims: Maradona wants to coach in China

The legendary Argentinian's position had been in doubt since last month when the club's entire board resigned following a trophyless season.

Maradona was appointed boss in May last year but after only managing eighth place in the Pro-League in his first season in charge he was dismissed by the new board.

Maradona still had a year to run on his contract with the ambitious Dubai-based club.

Image article-2185077-146C7925000005DC-599_468x570.jpg

Italy to rest Andrea Pirlo for England friendly

Italy to rest Pirlo and Buffon for England friendly in Switzerland

|

UPDATED:

21:43 GMT, 7 August 2012

England will be spared further torture
at the hands of Andrea Pirlo next week with Italy manager Cesare
Prandelli planning to omit some of his senior stars.

Like Roy Hodgson, Prandelli is
expected to rest most of the players from Juventus and Napoli, who will
contest the Italian Super Cup in China on Saturday.

Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, left, and teammate Andrea Pirlo

Left out: Juventus goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon, left, and teammate Andrea Pirlo

This means no Pirlo or Gianluigi Buffon for the friendly international in Berne, Switzerland, next Wednesday. Instead, Italy are expected to give opportunities to some of their young prospects, including a possible debut for 21-year-old striker Mattia Destro, who has joined Roma from Genoa this summer in a deal which could be worth 15million.

Hodgson has vowed to use the fixture to look closely at the credentials of some of England's emerging players, with Tom Cleverley, Ryan Bertrand and Daniel Sturridge among those in his thoughts.

Both England and Italy plan to name their squads on Friday.

Image article-2179126-128D4383000005DC-969_233x423.jpg

Edinson Cavani wife mugged in Naples

Chelsea target Cavani looking for way out of Napoli after wife is mugged

|

UPDATED:

07:18 GMT, 26 July 2012

In-demand: Cavani is wanted by Chelsea

In-demand: Cavani is wanted by Chelsea

Chelsea target Edinson Cavani has been joined in England by his wife after she was mugged for a 14,500 watch in their home town of Naples.

Napoli striker Cavani – who is also interesting Juventus – is currently in Manchester ahead of Uruguay's Olympic campaign, which kicks off against the United Arab Emirates on Thursday.

The player's agent has revealed to the Daily Mirror that the couple are distressed after the incident, which has led to Cavani considering his future.

'It is not a good moment, but they are trying to get over it,' said Claudio Anellucci.

'She has left Naples to join Cavani. It is difficult to get used to the idea that these sort of things can happen to you.

'It is true that incidents of this type can happen to anybody, but the truth is they happen too often.'

Cavani's wife Maria Soledad was said to be 'badly shaken' after her Audemars Piguet watch was stolen by two men as she walked to her car.

European pedigree: Cavani netted against Chelsea in last season's Champions League

European pedigree: Cavani netted against Chelsea in last season's Champions League

The mugging comes shortly after the couple's home was burgled, and the 25-year-old may now decide to make his stay in a England a permanent one.

One potential stumbling block is Cavani's transfer fee, with Napoli owner Aurelio De Laurentiis rating the player at 78million.

Bold ambition: Cavani hopes to win Olympic gold with Uruguay

Bold ambition: Cavani hopes to win Olympic gold with Uruguay

'Cavani is not for sale, and I’ve never had any contact from Juventus,' he said.

'But if I get an offer from Torino, or anywhere else, of 100m Euros (78million)…'