Tag Archives: mishap

Red Bull told Mark Webber to cut power "more than Sebastian Vettel"

Red Bull told Webber to cut power 'more than Vettel' in Malaysia

By
Malcolm Folley

PUBLISHED:

19:51 GMT, 30 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

19:51 GMT, 30 March 2013

Red Bull have admitted that world
champion Sebastian Vettel was not told to cut his engine power to the
same level as Mark Webber at the end of last weekend's Malaysian Grand
Prix.

But the team insist they had not
favoured Vettel above his Australian team-mate or that they were happy
to see the German ignore orders and snatch victory from Webber.

In the aftermath of the furore over
Vettel's behaviour, it was claimed Webber, with the German running
behind him, had been told to turn down his engine setting to ensure he
did not experience a mechanical mishap.

Falling out: Mark Webber (left) and Sebastian Vettel on the podium in Malaysia

Falling out: Mark Webber (left) and Sebastian Vettel on the podium in Malaysia

It was presumed Vettel had received the same instruction on the orders of team principal Christian Horner.

But F1 rights holder Bernie Ecclestone told The Mail on Sunday last week: 'After speaking with Christian, it seems Mark was told to turn down the wick on his engine, but the team didn't tell Sebastian to do the same thing.'

And a Red Bull spokesperson admitted: 'Seb's engine was turned down, but not as much as Mark's due to differing strategies and tyre wear.'

Although Horner told Vettel to stay behind Webber, the German had more horsepower to overtake.

Different instructions: Bernie Ecclestone (inset) says Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber were given different orders

Different instructions: Bernie Ecclestone (inset) says Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber were given different orders

Webber maintained a low profile last week, with no desire to have any contact with Vettel before they meet for the next race in China in 10 days' time, while the German 25-year-old triple world champion was on a charm offensive at Red Bull's HQ in Milton Keynes in midweek to apologise to the workforce for creating worldwide uproar.

Webber's sense of betrayal, after helping to clinch the past three constructors' titles, means he is unlikely to stay with Red Bull when his contract ends this year.

His presence alongside Vettel in the first official media conference in Shanghai a week on Thursday will ensure Red Bull's internecine warfare is the only story in town.

Golden boy: Sebastian Vettel talks with Red Bull principal Christian Horner (right)

Golden boy: Sebastian Vettel talks with Red Bull principal Christian Horner (right)

'It can only be a distraction and energy-sapping,' said a team insider.

Yet, as Ecclestone revealed in this paper last week, Webber would have lost his seat to Lewis Hamilton this season had Red Bull owner Dietrich Mateschitz not offered the Australian first refusal on keeping his drive out of loyalty when the 36-year-old had been talking with Ferrari.

'I wouldn't say that Mark was an out and out, 100 per cent Red Bull guy when he was looking to leave the team,' said Ecclestone. 'If he'd have got the drive with Ferrari, he'd have gone. He was lucky to stay, in my opinion.'

Indeed, Webber is not blameless. In the past, he has shown an unwillingness to toe the line, most recently in Brazil as Vettel clinched his third title.

'There's never been any trust between Webber and Vettel, they're not bosom buddies,' added Ecclestone.

Nigel Adkins Southampton latest: Jack Cork says boss must stay

Don't axe Adkins now! Saints star Cork says under-fire boss must stay in charge

|

UPDATED:

14:07 GMT, 11 November 2012

Southampton's Jack Cork was quick to back under-pressure manager Nigel Adkins after Saturday's impressive, if ultimately frustrating, 1-1 draw against Swansea.

Saints came into the match under no illusions of how important it was to pick up a victory, as speculation mounted over the future of their manager.

Adkins was buoyed by his players' response at St Mary's, where they dominated throughout and looked on course for victory when Morgan Schneiderlin nodded them into a 64th-minute lead.

Under pressure: Nigel Adkins saw his side share the points with Swansea but Jack Cork says his boss must stay

Under pressure: Nigel Adkins saw his side share the points with Swansea but Jack Cork says his boss must stay

However, like so many times already this campaign, a defensive mishap allowed Swansea to snatch a point and deny Adkins a much-needed victory.

'The gaffer has done great here these two years,' Cork said.

'The lads have always given their all over these two years and they're not going to stop doing it now.

'Just because things aren't really going our way, the lads are always going to play the way we have played and keep playing for the gaffer.

'We know the way he likes to play and the way he likes to do it and I know the lads all like having him here. He's a good gaffer.'

Saturday was Cork's first Premier League appearance of the season after a frustrating run of injuries.

After returning from Olympic duty with Great Britain, the 23-year-old picked up an ankle injury in a pre-season fixture at Bristol City.

Cork returned in late September but limped off 81 minutes into his comeback match against Sheffield Wednesday in the Capital One Cup with a knee injury.

He has now overcome that setback and impressed on his first league game of the campaign, playing the full 90 minutes.

'I feel really good,' Cork said. 'I thought I was only going to get an hour or 70 minutes, but I felt really good.

'The manager asked me at half-time how I felt and again about the hour mark and I said I felt fine. I stayed on and felt good.

'I am happy with how I played, it was just disappointing because we played really well and the lads have done great.

'It is just so unfortunate with the position we're in we haven't got the three points because we desperately need them at the minute.

'But if we keep playing like that and we keep playing the way we are, I am sure it will come along eventually.

'It is always hard when you think you're going to win and that happens.

Comeback kid: Nathan Dyer scored Swansea's equaliser against his former club

Comeback kid: Nathan Dyer scored Swansea's equaliser against his former club

'We know we did reasonably well and we've got a massive game against QPR so hopefully we can go there and take some points.'

The man to deny Cork and his team-mates was a former Southampton academy graduate.
Two weeks previously Gareth Bale had helped Tottenham to a 2-1 victory at St Mary's, and Nathan Dyer came off the bench to deny the south coast club all three points.

'I felt we put in a few good performances in the last couple of games and it is always going away to a team like Southampton that need the win and we were happy to come away with a draw,' Dyer said.

'Southampton will always be in my heart. It was where I was from when I was eight years old.

'It is where I learned my trade, I've always had respect for Southampton and I hope they turn it around.

'I wanted to show my appreciation [in my celebration]. I was at the club for a long time and I just wanted to keep it to a minimum.'

Neil Robertson into second round of International snooker Championship

Robertson overcomes passport issues to make it into second round of inaugural International Championship

|

UPDATED:

17:52 GMT, 28 October 2012

Neil Robertson advanced to the second round of the inaugural International Championship in Chengdu before revealing a passport mix-up almost cost him his place in the tournament.

Former world champion Robertson beat Welshman Ryan Day 6-3 in the evening session to set-up a potential meeting with Matthew Stevens in the next round.

But the Australian, who is currently living in England, had visa issues ahead of his trip to China and could have missed the chance to win the new 600,000 world ranking event.

Going through: Neil Robertson made it into the second round in in Chengdu

Going through: Neil Robertson made it into the second round in in Chengdu

'The past week has been a nightmare,” he told worldsnooker.com.

'I sent the passport recorded delivery to the DVLA's Peterborough office, but then they sent it by normal post to Swansea and then back to me. The Post Office was no help and I couldn't track it.

'The passport finally turned up at my house half an hour before I was due to leave to go to Heathrow to fly to Shanghai. So I just had to hope that when I arrived they would give me a visa.'

Robertson also praised the sport's governing body for supporting him during the mishap and thanked the staff who sorted the visa upon landing in China.

He said: 'Luckily World Snooker helped me a lot and I was able to provide all of the supporting documents to prove that I am a snooker player and I was going to the biggest tournament in China.

'As it turned out, the immigration staff in Shanghai all knew who I was and wanted pictures with me.

'I was there for about five hours, then I was given the visa and was able to fly to Chengdu. Obviously it was not ideal preparation so I'm just really pleased to have played well tonight and got the result.'

Shaun Murphy labelled the new tournament the “fourth major” on the snooker calendar.

The 30-year-old Englishman needed only 89 minutes to secure a spot in the second round, seeing off compatriot Andrew Higginson 6-0 with breaks of 67, 52, 86 and 96.

Murphy, who lifted the World Championship title in 2005, revealed he has been looking forward to what he considers an important new fixture in the sport.

'It's been a long time coming this tournament, and it's exciting to come to a city in the west of China where we've never been before,' he said.

'In terms of ranking points and prize money it's on a par with the UK Championship, so it can be seen as the fourth major.'

Jamie Burnett will face fellow Scot Stephen Maguire in the first round after beating Niu Zhuang 6-0 in their wild-card match.

Aditya Mehta of India also reached the first round proper after seeing off Zhu Yinghui 6-5.

He is joined in the final 32 by countryman Pankaj Advani after his wild-card opponent Zhou Yuelong pulled out of the tournament.

Fergal O'Brien set up a first round match against Judd Trump after a 6-3 success over Chen Feilong.

Three other wild-card matches were completed earlier in the day with 14-year-old Lu Haotian coming from 5-2 down to beat Michael White 6-5 in front of his home support.
White, who required treatment on an ankle he injured playing tennis yesterday, was forced to compete in just his socks to try and minimise the pain.

Lu will now progress directly into the second round after receiving a bye due to Ronnie O'Sullivan's decision to pull out of the tournament.

Veteran Ken Doherty also bowed out to youthful Chinese opposition, the Irishman losing 6-5 to 15-year-old Zhao Xintong.

The all-Chinese tie between Cao Yupeng and Wang Yuchen saw the former fight from 4-1 down to secure a 6-5 win and secure a meeting with John Higgins in the last 32.

England beat West Indies in one-day international at Ageas Bowl

Brave Bell's century inspires England to first ODI victory over West Indies at Ageas Bowl

|

UPDATED:

18:17 GMT, 16 June 2012

Ian Bell defied a broken jaw, and rose to the challenge of replacing Kevin Pietersen, as his second one-day international hundred underpinned England's 114-run win over West Indies on the Duckworth/Lewis method.

Bell (126) made the same score – unbeaten last time – as in his only previous hundred, on this same ground five years ago, in a total of 288 for six in the first NatWest Series match at the Ageas Bowl.

West Indies' own substitute opener Dwayne Smith (56) then gave England plenty to think about – pulling his second six, off Stuart Broad, to go with six fours and bring up his 50 in only 38 balls – but his power-packed team-mates failed to deliver, bowled out for 172 with more than 14 overs unused.

For whom the Bell tolls: The new England opener rose to the occasion, scoring 126

For whom the Bell tolls: The new England opener rose to the occasion, scoring 126

England v West Indies

Click here for a full scorecard

Bell, opening for the first time since
last year's World Cup, produced a chanceless innings of trademark
timing and placement – with 12 fours and one six from 117 balls – after
England were put in under cloudy skies.

On a very good batting surface, by the
time Bell mistimed an attempted 'paddle' at a slow full-toss from
Dwayne Bravo, to loop a simple catch and become wicketkeeper Denesh
Ramdin's fourth victim of the day, England were in prime position to
attack the last 10 overs.

The only complicating factor was that
five wickets were down already, but Craig Kieswetter and the tail made
sure that dwindling resource did not compromise the addition of 68 more
runs.

Bell was passed fit, for his first
assignment as the retired Pietersen's successor at the top of the order,
having yesterday edged a pull into his face in indoor practice – a
mishap which resulted in 10 stitches and an x-ray on his jawbone.

Simply the Bres: The seamer took four key wickets as England eased to victory

Simply the Bres: The seamer took four key wickets as England eased to victory

Simply the Bres: The seamer took four key wickets as England eased to victory

He showed no ill-effects, in a match minus West Indies' destructive opener Chris Gayle – a shock absentee with a shin injury.

England were almost instantly without
their captain and Bell's opening partner Alastair Cook, but a
second-wicket stand of 108 in 20 overs put them in good shape.

Cook departed to the third ball of the match, from Ravi Rampaul, pushing forward and edging a modicum of movement behind.

Number three Jonathan Trott was first
to find the boundary, clipping Andre Russell handsomely off his toes
from the final ball of the fourth over. Then in Russell's next, Bell was
ready to put his stamp on proceedings.

A memorable six, struck high over
long-off from a length ball, was followed by three fours in five balls –
a cut, a pull and another drive on the up wide of mid-off.

Bell therefore went from four to 22 in an over, and Darren Sammy had to start swapping and changing his many bowling options.

Back in the fold: After missing the third Test, Broad (above) and Anderson (below) returned to action

Back in the fold: After missing the third Test, Broad (above) and Anderson (below) returned to action

Back in the fold: After missing the third Test, Broad (above) and Anderson (below) returned to action

Bell eased past his 50, on this huge
playing area, with a high-class four off the back foot through the
off-side off Sunil Narine – before doubling his tally of career ODI
hundreds, in his 109th match.

He lost Trott and Ravi Bopara in near
identical fashion, both edging behind as they tried to cut the off-spin
of Narine and then Marlon Samuels.

Bell ensured an opener reached three
figures in each of England's last five ODI innings, only to lose Eoin
Morgan – playing on to Samuels at the start of the batting powerplay –
and then go himself at the end of it.

West Indies opener Lendl Simmons
chopped James Anderson down on to his stumps. But Smith, in place of
Gayle, took a huge pulled six and two fours from one Steve Finn over to
give the tourists' run chase early momentum in a half-century stand with
Ramdin.

After Tim Bresnan (four for 34)
eliminated the second-wicket pair in the space of five balls, however,
Smith edging a very short ball behind as he aimed to pull again and
Ramdin lbw to one that nipped in slightly off the seam, Finn hit Bravo
in front too.

It never rains but it pours; the match was briefly held up by some bad weather which soon passed

It never rains but it pours: The match was briefly held up by some bad weather which soon passed

It never rains but it pours: The match was briefly held up by some bad weather which soon passed

Kieron Pollard cut Stuart Broad hard
to point – where Morgan took a flying catch away to his left – and in
the absence of specialist batsman Darren Bravo, who injured his groin in
the field, from 127 for five the West Indies' remaining power hitters
had far too much to do.

They returned from an hour-long rain
break, with a revised target of 287 in 25 overs still available – and
after Samuels fell to a chip to midwicket, West Indies' miserable day
was soon complete as they lost their last nine wickets for 77 runs.

Meanwhile England have released
NatWest Series squad members Jade Dernbach, Samit Patel and Jonny
Bairstow to their counties for tomorrow's FLt20 programme. They must
then report back on Monday to The Oval, where the second match against
the Windies will be played a day later.

Blown away: The West Indies failed to impose themselves on the match - Smith (below) top scored for the with 56

Blown away: The West Indies failed to impose themselves on the match – Smith (below) top scored for them with 56

Blown away: The West Indies failed to impose themselves on the match - Smith (below) top scored for them with 56

Cheltenham Festival: Kauto Star must face schooling test

One last test before Kauto Star gets Gold Cup go-ahead

|

UPDATED:

22:16 GMT, 10 March 2012

Jump racing's shining light Kauto
Star must pass one final test on Monday before he is given the all-clear
to tackle the Cheltenham Gold Cup for a sixth time on Friday.

Trainer Paul Nicholls reports that
the 12-year-old has made a remarkable recovery since a heavy fall with
Ruby Walsh in a schooling session on February 24.

Star role: Kauto Star with trainer Paul Nicholls and travelling head girl, Donna Blake

Star role: Kauto Star with trainer Paul Nicholls and travelling head girl, Donna Blake

'I couldn't be happier with him after his spin round Wincanton after racing on Friday,' said Nicholls.

'The improvement from one week to the next has been unbelievable.

'Hopefully, it is looking good for Cheltenham, but obviously I have to pop him over some jumps at home again tomorrow (Monday) after his previous mishap. Normally, he wings round our outdoor school, which has an all-weather surface. That is where he fell.

'Ruby is coming over from Ireland to school Kauto and this time, for a change, we'll give him some jumping practise in our regular grass field where we have various fences. I'm sure everything will be fine.'