'Who wouldn't want to lose for $40m' Mayweather reveals his offer to Pacquiao
11:07 GMT, 18 December 2012
Floyd Mayweather has reiterated claims that he
offered Manny Pacquiao the biggest payday of his career to face him in a
Pacquiao's defeat by Juan Manuel Marquez earlier this month cast further doubt on a potential mega-fight with Mayweather materialising anytime soon.
Mayweather has two dates set for next year – in May and September – and is yet to reveal his opponents.
But he has revealed that he did make Pacquiao a lucrative offer to fight him, raising hopes that the pair could eventually go toe-to-toe in the ring.
Big money: Floyd Mayweather has reiterated claims that he offered Manny Pacquiao $40million to fight him
'I have footage of Manny Pacquiao
talking about what I offered him. I offered him $40m and I told him to
accept that and we could talk about the rest,' said Mayweather.
'The proof is in the pudding. He
received $6m against Timothy Bradley and $8m in this one [against Juan
Manuel Marquez]. What guy wouldn't want to be in a position to take a
loss for $40m He could have made a lot more fighting me.
'I'm very, very comfortable
[financially]. I have great business outside of boxing and all I want to
do is to continue to help the young fighters who are up-and-coming so
the sport of boxing can live on.'
Mayweather returns to the
ring in Las Vegas on May 4 for his first fight since his release from
prison and he admitted that the stretch inside was difficult.
Good to talk: Mayweather claims he has already discussed a potential fight with Pacquiao
'I did my time in the hole. I was
locked up for 23 hours a day in a small box and only coming out for one
hour, and at weekends not at all,' he said.
'Not being able to see nothing, not having any contact with anyone can hurt anybody.
'That was a crucial moment for me but
I'm strong and I'm happy to be home. I've got something to live for; my
four children, I want to give them the best education.'
Rising American star Adrien Broner, meanwhile, has been hailed as the successor to pound-for-pound No 1 Mayweather – and has already taught him a lesson on the basketball court.
Broner, 23, the WBC lightweight world champion, has stopped 21 of his 25 opponents and could meet Scotland's Ricky Burns next spring in a mouthwatering unification clash.
On the ball: Mayweather takes on Adrien Broner in a charity basketball game
But he showed he can also hold his own outside the ring with a starring role in a charity basketball game in Los Angeles on Sunday.
Nicknamed 'The Problem', Broner went head-to-head with Mayweather, mesmerising the 35-year-old with his close control before leaving him for dead and scoring a basket.
He then performed a spectacular flip in celebration during a match which also featured Amir Khan's conqueror Danny Garcia.