Tag Archives: legendary

Harry Redknapp to tee off at Seve Day in honour of Seve Ballesteros

Redknapp set to join all-star cast at The Belfry in honour of late great Seve

|

UPDATED:

16:47 GMT, 12 June 2012

Teeing off: Harry Redknapp

Teeing off: Harry Redknapp

Harry Redknapp has joined an all-star cast of sporting icons and celebrities who are taking part in the inaugural Seve Day, a new event in honour of late golf great Seve Ballesteros.

Three-time Open champion and double Masters winner Ballesteros tragically lost his battle with brain cancer last May, aged 54.

Following the one-year anniversary of
the legendary Spaniard's death, a European-wide tournament has been
set-up by YourGolfTravel.com in partnership with the Seve Ballesteros
Foundation and Cancer Research UK to raise funds for both charities.

Golfers
from all walks are being invited to join the likes of Ian Wright, Kevin
Keegan, Sir Clive Woodward, Michael Vaughan and Chris Eubank at The
Belfry – where Seve famously celebrated three Ryder Cup victories.

But to stake their claim for a place in October's grand final they must achieve one of the top 72 handicap stapleford scores from all tournament entrants.

Golf-mad Redknapp revealed he can't wait to support the cause.

Golf blog

He said: 'I'm a 14-handicapper, average golfer but I'm really looking forward to playing in the Seve Day.'

Organiser Ross Marshall added: 'Seve Day is a great way for us to celebrate the life of Seve, raise money for a great cause and play in a tournament where you have to take risks and play like the great man himself in order to shoot low and qualify for the grand Seve Day final.'

A host of top golf stars have also pledged their support with Justin Rose and Ian Poulter both signing up to Seve Day.

Rose said: 'Seve has been a hero to me all my life. Seve's style of play continues to inspire me, and golfers all over the world, but there will never be another Seve.'

For more information on Seve Day, visit: www.seveday.com

Real Madrid legend Raul opts to join Qatari outfit Al Sadd after ending Schalke stint

Real Madrid legend Raul opts to join Qatari outfit Al Sadd after ending Schalke stint

|

UPDATED:

01:35 GMT, 13 May 2012

Qatari club Al Sadd have confirmed the signing of former Spain striker Raul from the start of next season.

The 34-year-old announced last month that he would be leaving Schalke at the end of the campaign, despite having proved a hit in Gelsenkirchen since arriving from Real Madrid in 2010.

His destination was unknown, but Al Sadd said on their website that he will be their player for the 2012/13 campaign.

A new chapter: Raul

A new chapter: Raul

He will be unveiled at a press conference on Sunday.

'Al Sadd will hold a press conference on Sunday, May 13 to present Spanish star Raul Gonzalez, who is contracted to the team for the 2012/13 season,' the club statement read.

Raul revealed at a press conference on April 19 that he would play his club football outside Europe for the first time next season, adding that the time was right to move to 'a less competitive league' after turning down the offer of a new deal from Schalke.

He insisted being able to spend more time with his family was the key factor in his decision, and that his eventual destination would depend more on them than on money.

'I definitely have the self-confidence to play in a tough league, but it is more about the family,' he said.

'I have not been able to spend much time with them lately. The Bundesliga is so demanding that you cannot spend so long with them.

'We will now look at the offers and see what gives me the most time for family life.'

Raul attained legendary status during his many years as a first-team regular at Real Madrid, and left the Bernabeu holding club records for appearances (741) and goals (323).

Javier Ballesteros starts pro career at same course as Seve

Javier Ballesteros begins pro career at same course as legendary father Seve

|

UPDATED:

10:27 GMT, 27 April 2012

On Thursday Javier Ballesteros began on the long path to emulating his late father, Seve.

The 21-year-old made his professional golf circuit debut on Thursday at Sant Cugat in Catalunya, Spain, 38 years after Seve began his pro career at the same location.

Seve died in May 2011 at 54, but Javier does not feel too much pressure to prove himself despite his father's golfing legend.

Like father like son: Javier Ballesteros began his pro career at the same course as his father

Like father like son: Javier Ballesteros began his pro career at the same course as his father

'My goal for this competition is enjoy it,' he told the European Tour’s official website.

'I don’t set goals when I play a tournament, especially being an amateur. What I have to do is enjoy and learn. I have no extra pressure being Seve’s son, I don’t really have anything to prove. I’m just going to be myself.

'I have no extra pressure being Seve’s son, I don’t really have anything to prove. I’m just going to be myself.

'When I registered for the Peugeot Tour event at Sant Cugat I didn’t know that my father played his first professional tournament here and now that I know, it’s double the excitement for me.'

His father won five majors – a total which will prove a real challenge for Javier to reach – but he made a good start to his pro career at the Peugeot Alps de Barcelona with a five-under-par round on day one.

Winner: Seve Ballesteros (left) took five majors

Winner: Seve Ballesteros (left) took five majors

Seve won 91 tournaments in his career, but before Javier gets too consumed by the world of golf he will follow through with his father's desire for him to finish his studies.

'I have always played golf,' he explained. 'I was on the national team when I was 14 to 16 years old, and being surrounded by golf at home always made me think about being a pro in the future.

'But I have to finish university first. It is something my parents have always told me to do, especially my father, and that is my priority. Then we will see.

'I have not made a schedule or set a time. It’s not just a case of turning professional as soon as I finish college. We will just see what happens.'

Thierry Henry trains like he"s 20, says Laurent Koscielny

Too old Henry trains like he's 20! Koscielny in awe of Arsenal legend

Thierry Henry may be entering the twilight of his career, but he has been training 'like a 20-year-old' since returning to Arsenal, according to Gunners defender Laurent Koscielny.

Henry wrote another chapter in his long and glorious history with Arsenal on Monday night when he began his second spell at the club by coming off the bench to score the winner against Leeds in the FA Cup.

Sensational start: Henry scored on his second Arsenal debut

Sensational start: Henry scored on his second Arsenal debut

The striker earned his legendary status at Arsenal by scoring 226 goals in 370 appearances during his first stint in north London, but at 34-years-old, he is keen to warn fans that he is no longer capable of banging in a glut of goals every week.

Koscielny claims Henry's advancing years have not stopped him from training like a youngster at the club's London Colney base, however, and he hopes that will be hugely beneficial to the club during the two months the former Barcelona man is with the squad.

'He is leading by example, we saw it on Monday night,' Koscielny said on Arsenal's website.

Awestruck: Koscielny has been hugely impressed by Henry

Awestruck: Koscielny has been hugely impressed by Henry

'At training, he runs everywhere. It's like he is 20 years old.

'It's thanks to players like him that we all improve. He is one of the greatest players to have played football and the squad needs to look up to him in the next two months to improve.

'Maybe he has missed the atmosphere here, at the club and the stadium. We can see at training that he plays like if he was 20 and as if he had just broken into the first team.

'He wants to score, to help the team and to improve.'

Thierry Henry is putting his legend status at risk

Thierry is putting his legend status at risk by returning to Arsenal

[MICHAEL LEWIS]

American sportswriter MICHAEL LEWIS covers the New York Red Bulls, following the franchise since it was formed in 1996. He has a warning for Thierry Henry.

So, Thierry Henry is going to play for Arsenal on loan, huh

Well, all I can say is that the New York Red Bulls and their captain are asking for trouble.

Can he cut it, even for six weeks or two months, in the Barclays Premier League

Risky business: New York Red Bulls will be monitoring the situation closely

Risky business: New York Red Bulls will be monitoring the situation closely

Henry is no spring chicken. He will turn 35 in August and, last year, achilles and hamstring injuries slowed him down, limiting him to 26 out of 34 matches.

When the Red Bulls played three games in eight days, Henry could not play on Wednesday if the game was played on artificial turf.

I just don”t want to hear of an ailing Henry come June or July.

Even if he acquits himself well and scores some goals, you have to wonder how much wear and tear it will take on his body.

Why would the Red Bulls want to gamble with their prize possession

They paid him $5.6million in 2011. If David Beckham doesn”t return to the LA Galaxy, Henry will become the highest paid player in MLS.

What if he returns as injured goods

Better second time around: Henry back at Arsenal

Better second time around: Henry back at Arsenal

On December 13, Red Bulls sporting director Erik Soler said: “Thierry”s working out at Arsenal to stay fit. We”re happy that he”s doing so, but he”s coming back and we”re not taking a loan for Thierry or any other players.”

Apparently, he is going back on his word.

There must be some rule somewhere that states if a club erects a statue of a former player outside its stadium, he is not allowed to come back and ruin that legendary status.

Michael Lewis is the editor of BigAppleSoccer. com and TropiGol.com.

Jonny Wilkinson retires from England rugby

Over and out! Legend Wilkinson quits England after World Cup nightmare

Jonny Wilkinson has played his last game for England after retiring from internationals.

The legendary World Cup winner – who kicked England to glory in Australia in 2003 – has decided to bring down the curtain on his glittering career.

On his website, the fly-half wrote: “I would like to take this opportunity to announce my retirement from international rugby.

End of the road: Jonny Wilkinson has quit international rugby after England

End of the road: Jonny Wilkinson has quit international rugby after England”s disastrous World Cup earlier this year in New Zealand

“To do so fills me with great sadness but I know that I have been blessed in so many ways to have experienced what I have with the England rugby team.

“I never ever believed that I would be able to give up on this dream which has driven me to live, breathe, love and embrace the game of rugby from the earliest days that I can remember.

“I certainly have no intention of letting this decision change the way that I approach my training and preparation for games. In fact early indication shows me that I”m actually getting more intense about it. Playing the game, representing the team, giving my all and never letting go has meant everything to me.

“I do, have done and always will believe that I am very capable of performing and thriving at any level of the sport.

“The time has come, however, for me to realise that I have gone as far as I can go with this England team and that the time is right for others to enjoy the same honour and pride that I have felt over the past 15 seasons and beyond.

“I have far too many people to thank for what I have been able to achieve but as always, it starts with my Mum and Dad, my brother Mark, my girlfriend Shelley, Steve Black, Tim Buttimore and Dave Alred as well as the rest of my family and friends.

“I can never give enough credit to all my team mates from over the years and my physios, surgeons, doctors and coaches too who have unconditionally helped me through all kinds of thick and thin.

“Finally I would like to show my enormous appreciation and gratitude to all the true followers of the game who have given me way, way more time and support than it has ever been reasonable for one person to ask for. You will never truly understand the effect you have all had on me and my career.

“To say I have played through four World Cups, two Lions tours, 91 international games and a ridiculous number of injuries and other set backs gives me an incredibly special feeling of fulfilment. But by now I know myself well enough to know that I will never truly be satisfied!

“It goes without saying that I would like to wish Stuart Lancaster, his coaches and the England Squad every bit of success available to them.

“I would also very much like to extend those wishes to Martin Johnson, Brian Smith, Mike Ford, John Wells, Graham Rowntree and the rest of the England 2011 World cup management team who have been fantastic and deserve people to know that.

“For me now, I will continue to focus ever harder on my goal of being the very best I can be with Toulon Rugby Club and continue to embrace and enjoy wherever that path takes me.”