Tag Archives: impassioned

Adel Taarabt will stay with QPR after missing Africa Cup of Nations

Huge boost for Redknapp in relegation scrap as QPR star Taarabt misses Africa Cup of Nations

|

UPDATED:

13:58 GMT, 26 December 2012

Adel Taarabt has not been included in the Morocco squad for the Africa Cup of Nations – answering QPR boss Harry Redknapp’s prayers.

Last week the playmaker defiantly announced he would travel in the event of being picked, despite Redknapp’s pleas for him to stay and help QPR avoid relegation.

No go: Adel Taarabt will not be travelling to the African Cup of Nations

No go: Adel Taarabt will not be travelling to the African Cup of Nations

But Taarabt, 23, appears to have now asked to be overlooked for the tournament which will take place in South Africa from
January 19 to February 2.

He can now be called on for games against
Spurs, West Ham, champions Man City and Norwich.

Just days ago he sent an impassioned appeal to Rachid Taoussi, the Moroccan coach who took charge in the summer.

‘I will do everything I can to prove to him that I deserve to be there,’ he told the African football blog on lequipe.fr.

Taarabt, who has recently advertised
himself to both AC Milan and Barcelona, also admitted his club manager
had asked him to make himself unavailable.

‘[Redknapp] came to see me to ask me
not to go, but I told him, “if they call me, I can’t refuse, boss. I
love my country, I love the Moroccan people and football means a lot to
them.”

‘I warned him that the only solution
was that the coach doesn’t call me up. The coach isn’t obliged to take
me. I hope to be at the African Nations Cup but even if I’m not there,
and that would be painful, I will be the biggest Morocco supporter.’

QPR take on West Brom this afternoon and face Liverpool on Sunday at 4pm.

Boost: Harry Redknapp will be delighted the midfielder is not going

Boost: Harry Redknapp will be delighted the midfielder is not going

Adel Taarabt will not travel to African Cup of Nations

Huge boost for Redknapp in relegation scrap as QPR star Taarabt misses out on Africa Cup of Nations

|

UPDATED:

11:55 GMT, 26 December 2012

Adel Taarabt has not been included in the Morocco squad for the Africa Cup of Nations, answering QPR boss Harry Redknapp’s prayers.

Last week the playmaker defiantly announced he would travel in the event of being picked, despite Redknapp’s pleas for him to stay and help QPR avoid relegation.

But Taarabt, 23, appears to have been overlooked for the tournament which will take place in South Africa from January 19 to February 2, and can now be called on for games against Spurs, West Ham, champions Man City and Norwich.

No go: Adel Taarabt will not be travelling to the African Cup of Nations

No go: Adel Taarabt will not be travelling to the African Cup of Nations

Just days ago he sent an impassioned appeal to Rachid Taoussi, the Moroccan coach who took charge in the summer.

‘I will do everything I can to prove to him that I deserve to be there,’ he told the African football blog on lequipe.fr.

Taarabt, who has recently advertised
himself to both AC Milan and Barcelona, also admitted his club manager
had asked him to make himself unavailable.

‘[Redknapp] came to see me to ask me
not to go, but I told him, “if they call me, I can’t refuse, boss. I
love my country, I love the Moroccan people and football means a lot to
them.”

‘I warned him that the only solution
was that the coach doesn’t call me up. The coach isn’t obliged to take
me. I hope to be at the African Nations Cup but even if I’m not there,
and that would be painful, I will be the biggest Morocco supporter.’

QPR take on West Brom this afternoon and face Liverpool on Sunday at 4pm.

Blackburn boss Steve Kean pleads for unity

Under-fire Kean pleads for unity ahead of Blackburn's relegation showdown

|

UPDATED:

23:55 GMT, 4 May 2012

Steve Kean has been at loggerheads with disgruntled Blackburn fans all season but he issued an impassioned plea on Friday for a show of unity ahead of Monday's relegation battle against Wigan.

Blackburn's under-fire manager wants long-suffering Ewood Park patrons to vent their anger on relegation rivals Wigan rather than himself or owners Venky's.

In charge: But Kean has come under fire from Blackburn fans this season (below)

In charge: But Kean has come under fire from Blackburn fans this season (below)

In charge: But Kean has come under fire from Blackburn fans this season (below)

'We need to create a hostile atmosphere for away teams,' he said.

'This is a massive game, one of the biggest we've had at Ewood for years, so let's all get behind the team.

'It is our last home game of the season, and we are determined to sign off with a win.'

Chelsea and QPR crowd concerns for FA Cup clash

Chelsea and QPR in plea over crowd concerns when Terry and Ferdinand meet in FA Cup

Chelsea and Queens Park Rangers are poised to make impassioned pleas to supporters travelling to their potentially explosive FA Cup clash.

QPR's narrow 1-0 win over MK Dons on Tuesday night set up a mouthwatering fourth-round clash against their bitter west London rivals at Loftus Road on January 28.

The tie will see John Terry and Anton Ferdinand go head-to-head for the first time since the infamous clash on October 23.

It's on: QPR earned a crack at Chelsea by beating MK Dons in Tuesday's replay

It's on: QPR earned a crack at Chelsea by beating MK Dons in Tuesday's replay

QPR won 1-0, but the match was overshadowed by allegations that the Chelsea skipper racially abused Ferdinand.

And both clubs, the Metropolitan Police and Football Association will make their own moves to ensure the clash does not implode into something more sinister.

QPR and Chelsea are both considering posting messages on their websites ahead of the match asking fans to behave themselves.

Given the match was only confirmed on Tuesday night, discussions over security operations for the derby are at an early stage.

Direction: QPR and Chelsea fans will be watched when the teams meet days before John Terry is in court over allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand

Direction: QPR and Chelsea fans will be watched when the teams meet days before John Terry is in court over allegations he racially abused Anton Ferdinand

But Rangers are expected to take more robust security measures for the clash, which would include increased stewarding.

QPR spokesman Ian Taylor confirmed: 'As with every other fixture we host at Loftus Road, all procedures are pre-planned with the emergency services and local authorities and this will be no different for the visit of Chelsea in the FA Cup fourth round.

'Our top priority is always to ensure the safety and enjoyment of both sets of supporters and stewarding, security and policing numbers will reflect that.'

Up for the cup: Ferdinand is set to face Terry once more at Loftus Road

Up for the cup: Ferdinand is set to face Terry once more at Loftus Road

Under FA regulations, Chelsea supporters are allowed a 15 per cent ticket allocation for the clash – an increase from the usual 10 per cent.

However, that allocation could be slashed if police and Hammersmith and Fulham Council decide it is necessary.

In addition, Wembley chiefs will speak to both clubs ahead of the clash and be asked to keep abreast of their security plans.

And both sets of teams are also likely to be spoken to by FA representatives ahead of kick-off to be reminded of their responsibilities.

Meanwhile, London police have indicated that they are likely to deploy an increased presence and deploy specifically-designed tactics in Loftus Road and the surrounding areas to combat trouble.

Flashpoint: Ferdinand and Terry clashed at Loftus Road earlier this season

Flashpoint: Ferdinand and Terry clashed at Loftus Road earlier this season

Despite the prospect of facing the wrath of angry Rangers fans, sources close to Terry insist the central defender wants to play.

And his likely involvement could trigger another awkward moment for the Chelsea skipper during the pre-match handshake.

Wayne Bridge famously rejected Terry's hand in February 2010 after it emerged the England captain had an affair with his partner Vanessa Perroncel.

And Terry could be face with a similar scenario with Ferdinand on January 28.

The Chelsea skipper is due to attend a hearing at West London Magistrates on February 1 over the alleged racial taunts.