Tag Archives: heaps

Jesse Ryder out of induced coma and interacting with family after sickening assault in Christchurch

Ryder releases statement after brutal attack as cricketer says he feels 'heaps better' after coming out of induced coma

By
Mike Dawes

PUBLISHED:

00:05 GMT, 31 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

07:04 GMT, 31 March 2013

New Zealand cricketer Jesse Ryder today said he was 'heaps better' but 'really tired' in his first public statement since the attack which put him in intensive care.

The 28-year-old Wellington all-rounder was admitted to Christchurch Hospital in the early hours of Thursday morning and placed in an induced coma after suffering multiple injuries, including a fractured skull, in an attack outside a bar.

Ryder was yesterday brought out of the coma and is now out of intensive care.

Scroll down for video

Critical condition: Jesse Ryder

Support: Ryder

Stable condition: Jesse Ryder has come out of an induced coma and is regaining speech

Scene: The New Zealand cricketer was attacked close to Aikmans Bar

Scene: The New Zealand cricketer was attacked close to Aikmans Bar

He today he released a statement
saying: 'I just want to let everyone know that I’m okay. I feel heaps
better today but still really tired.

'I’ve been reading your messages that have been sent so thank you to everyone for thinking of me over the last few days.

'I want to thank everyone who has
been caring for me at the hospital – they have been awesome. Thank you
to my family and friends who have been here also.'

Two men – a 20-year-old and a 37-year-old who police said are related – will appear in court on Thursday charged with assault.

Found: The McDonald's in Merivale, Christchurch, where Ryder was found

Followed: The McDonald's in Merivale, Christchurch, where Ryder was attacked

Induced coma: Ryder remains in Christchurch hospital

Induced coma: Ryder remains in Christchurch hospital

Police chief reveals details of incident which left Jesse Ryder…

DM.has('rcpv2258793862001','BC',
'renderConfig' :

'css' : “videoplayer-large”,
'autoplay' : false,
'muted' : false,
'title' : “Police chief reveals details of incident which left Jesse Ryder in a coma.”,
'videoId' : 1003768,
'adsEnabled' : true,
'playerId' : “1989148206001”,
'playerKey' : “AQ~~,AAAAAFSL1bg~,CmS1EFtcMWELN_eSE9A7gpcGWF5XAVmI”,
'objId' : “rcpv2258793862001”,
'videoPlayer' : “2258793862001”,
'width' : 636,
'height' : 358,
'linkBaseURL' : “http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-2301767/Jesse-Ryder-induced-coma-interacting-family-sickening-assault-Christchurch.html”

});

Police believe Ryder was involved in
an altercation with two people outside Aikmans bar in the Christchurch
suburb of Merivale shortly after 12.30am local time on Thursday morning,
and was then assaulted by one of the two, who followed him towards the
car park of a nearby McDonald’s.

Ryder, a controversial figure whose
career has been plagued by off-field incidents, has not played for New
Zealand since February last year.

He spent three days in intensive care
but on Saturday his manager, Aaron Klee, revealed that he is now
breathing independently and talking to his family. Police have arrested
two men.

Former New Zealand pace bowler Iain O'Brien said of Ryder: 'He's the kind of guy that always will have a drink.

Jesse Ryder

Jesse Ryder

International: Ryder has played 18 Tests, 39 ODIs and 20 T20s for his country

'When he is off the stuff he's a
wonderful, wonderful man – he's one of the funniest guys and very jovial
– but on the other side of it, when he has been drinking he can
certainly suffer the lows.'

Ryder has played 18 Tests and 39 one-day internationals for the Black Caps, his last appearance an ODI against South Africa.

Sir Alex Ferguson calls Ryan Giggs a "fantastic human being"

'He is just a fantastic human being': Ferguson heaps praise on veteran Giggs

By
Simon Stone, Press Association

PUBLISHED:

09:24 GMT, 11 February 2013

|

UPDATED:

11:33 GMT, 11 February 2013

Sir Alex Ferguson has run out of things to say about long-serving Manchester United star Ryan Giggs.

The veteran Welshman opened the scoring in yesterday's 2-0 win over Everton, with Robin van Persie adding the second as United went 12 points clear of Manchester City in the title race.

It means Giggs has extended his record of scoring in every Premier League season. And, including the two Football League campaigns he was involved in before the big switch in 1992, the 39-year-old now has 23 unbroken years of league goals behind him.

Giggs took Manchester United ahead when they faced Everton at the weekend

Opener: Giggs took Manchester United ahead when they faced Everton at the weekend

Ferguson labelled his midfielder a 'fantastic human being'

High praise: Ferguson labelled his midfielder a 'fantastic human being'

The milestone is yet another in a staggering career, quite unparalleled in the modern-day game.

And Ferguson admits he does not know how much more he can say about Giggs' talent.

'I think the superlatives have all been used up,' said the United boss.

'I don't think he needs any himself.

'His legacy lives on he is just a fantastic human being.

'Again at 38, or is he 39, maybe even 40 he is up and down that pitch all day.

'He has fantastic energy for the game. It is wonderful to see.'

Giggs' contribution means he probably will not be part of United's starting line-up in Madrid on Wednesday.

Giggs has now scored in every Premier League season

Extended record: Giggs has now scored in every Premier League season

Yet, in a sense, the encounter with Everton was of infinitely more value than a meeting with Jose Mourinho and Cristiano Ronaldo at the Bernabeu.

After all, for all the glitz and glamour, United and Madrid are only playing for a place in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

United's win over Everton put them 12 points clear at the top of the table

Safe gap: United's win over Everton put them 12 points clear at the top of the table

Once Manchester City had lost at Southampton, yesterday's game almost turned into a title-decider for United.

'As soon as I saw the result at Southampton I thought this was an opportunity for us to get a real comfortable lead,' said Ferguson.

'I scrapped the changes I originally planned to make.

'I was going to make about seven changes but it was about being realistic.

'We knew if we could get a result then it put us in a fantastic position and we can make changes later on in the season.'

That pre-supposes United do make it past Madrid, whose coach Mourinho met Ferguson ahead of yesterday's game and watched on from the directors' box.

However, after losing the title to City last term, there has been a keen desire for the Red Devils to regain their superiority.

And Everton boss David Moyes is not alone in believing that is what will happen.

'I think 12 points against a club like Manchester United is a big gap to make up,' said Moyes.

'Football doesn't always go the way it is meant to be but it looks a lot.

'To be that amount of points ahead is a big thing at this time of the season.'

Ashley Cole is greatest left back in world, says Carlo Ancelotti

Ancelotti heaps praise on Cole, increasing speculation PSG boss will make swoop

|

UPDATED:

22:19 GMT, 2 October 2012

Carlo Ancelotti has hailed Ashley Cole as ‘the best left back in the world’ amid increasing speculation that the Paris Saint-Germain manager will make a move for the Chelsea defender.

England defender Cole is in the final year of his Chelsea contract and there are suggestions that he is struggling to reach an agreement over an extension, with former Blues boss Ancelotti reported to be monitoring developments.

High praise: Ancelotti says Cole is the world's best left back

High praise: Ancelotti says Cole is the world's best left back

When asked about the claims that PSG could move for the 31-year-old, Ancelotti, who managed Cole at Stamford Bridge for two seasons, told ESPN STAR Sports: ‘The newspapers said that 100 players could come here.

‘For this season, we have a very good squad but next year, I don’t know what is going on.’

He added: ‘Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world at the moment.’

Sign him up: Cole is yet to agree a new deal at Stamford Bridge

Sign him up: Cole is yet to agree a new deal at Stamford Bridge

Peter Crouch praised by Tony Pulis after win over Swansea City

Pulis heaps praise on 'unplayable' Crouch after double downs Swans

|

UPDATED:

18:44 GMT, 29 September 2012

Stoke boss Tony Pulis felt match-winner Peter Crouch was 'unplayable' at times during Saturday afternoon's 2-0 Barclays Premier League victory over Swansea – but is not about to demand the striker is given an England recall.

Crouch – who last played for his country in 2010 – scored both the Potters' goals in the clash at the Britannia Stadium to take his tally for the season to five in all competitions and earn the Staffordshire outfit their first win of the campaign.

Twice taking advantage of poor Swansea defending, the tall frontman headed home in the 12th minute and added a second nine minutes before the interval, tucking the ball away on the follow-up after Michel Vorm had parried his initial shot.

Two good: Pulis described Crouch as 'unplayable'

Two good: Pulis described Crouch as 'unplayable'

Crouch looked intent on securing his hat-trick in the second period, but headed one effort on to the bar and then missed with an attempted overhead kick before being substituted.

While disappointed the 31-year-old had been unable to complete his treble, Pulis was full of praise for his performance – although he was keen to stress that whether or not the player might be selected for England again was a matter for Three Lions boss Roy Hodgson, who has claimed Crouch refused to be on the stand-by list for Euro 2012.

Reflecting on Stoke's display, Pulis said: 'I thought in the first half we were very good.

'The worst thing that happened was half-time – we came out very slow and sloppy in the second half and Swansea controlled the play.

'But we got back into it in the last 20 minutes and I'm just disappointed Crouchy didn't get his hat-trick.'

England calling Crouch has not represented his country since 2010

England calling Crouch has not represented his country since 2010

England calling Crouch has not represented his country since 2010

Explaining his decision to take Crouch off for Kenwyne Jones late on, Pulis said: 'I just wanted to give Kenwyne a bit of time, and the header against the crossbar – that should be food and drink for Peter.

'The scissors kick is a different thing – I'll speak to him on Monday about that. I can't afford for him to get injured!'

He added: 'I'm not reluctant (to talk about Crouch and England), but Roy has a lot of experience and the last thing I want to do is tell him what team to pick.

'It has to be up to him. I don't think Peter can do any more than score goals and play well, and you have seen him today – in the first half he was unplayable.'

Having struggled in the first half, Swansea were better early on after the restart, although there was controversy in the 55th minute when their defender Ben Davies was booked for diving in the box.

Up and running: Pulis saw his side pick up their first win of the season

Up and running: Pulis saw his side pick up their first win of the season

'Simulation' had been a hot topic in the build-up to the game, with Pulis accusing Chelsea players of being guilty of it in Stoke's 1-0 defeat at Stamford Bridge last weekend and saying it was something that needed clamping down on.

Asked after Saturday's contest about the Davies incident, Swansea manager Michael Laudrup – whose side have now lost three league matches in a row – said: 'From the bench it seemed like he was touched and that it was a penalty, but having seen it a couple of times more, I have more doubts.

'I don't think we have to go into arguing about whether it's a penalty or a yellow card. It can be in between – it is possible that it's not a penalty and you don't have to give a yellow card.

'In this case, the referee thinks Ben is trying to dive and gives him a yellow card. All I can say is that this is a 19-year-old boy and I don't think he has that in him. I don't think he tried to dive.'

Blackburn"s Scott Dann out for six weeks

Blackburn”s painful season takes a turn for the worse as Dann suffers ruptured testicle

This season has been full of testing times for Blackburn Rovers.

Not only have they had trouble keeping the ball out of their net but manager Steve Kean is facing the sack.

And the club”s calamitous campaign has taken another twist with the news that Scott Dann will be out for six weeks with a ruptured testicle.

Crocked: Blackburn

Crocked: Blackburn”s Scott Dann (right) will be out for six weeks

The former Birmingham centre-half scored Rovers” goal in Saturday”s 2-1 home defeat to West Brom and completed the full 90 minutes but Steve Kean confirmed he is facing a lengthy spell on the sidelines.

Thenews comes as a further blow to Kean, who is under mounting pressure with his side second-bottom of the league and facing a clash with local rivals Bolton, the only side below them, on Tuesday night.

Dann suffered the problem during Saturday”s defeat to West Brom and it was immediately confirmed he would miss the do-or-die clash with Premier League basement boys Bolton at Ewood Park.

“Our physio cannot believe it,” Kean told ESPNsoccernet. “He has two players out with problems that he has never come across before in all of his years experience.

Over and out: Blackburn players (left) look dejected after their loss to West Brom

Over and out: Blackburn players (left) look dejected after their loss to West Brom

“Scott Dann has come in and played sowell to replace Phil Jones, but in our last match he was hurt and it now transpires he will be out for six weeks with a ruptured testicle.

“When you add that to Gael Givet, Ryan Nelsen and Michel Salgado, we are losing defenders at the moment, which is tough.

“But we have to face it up and crack on, although that is a tough one to take.”

Under-fire: Rovers boss Steve Kean

Under-fire: Rovers boss Steve Kean

Itmerely heaps even more pressure on Kean, who was the subject of abuse from a large section of the Blackburn support on Saturday, who abandonedtheir non-demonstration pact following Peter Odemwingie”s last-minute winner.

That has been followed up by a front-page editorial in the local newspaper calling for Kean”s immediate dismissal.

Yet the Rovers boss claimed he spoke to the owners over the telephone on Sunday and there had been no mention of an ultimatum.

Rather, the discussion revolved around future plans.

“I have spoken with the owners for 45 minutes yesterday. There was no suggestion of an ultimatum,” he said.

“We had a real good conversation yesterday.

“We are looking forward to the transfer window opening so we can try and get a couple in who can hit the ground running and make an impact.

“There is pressure tomorrow but we have to enjoy it. From the first minute there will be pressure.

“You have to show courage to accept it.”

Hitting out: Blackburn fans protest against manager Steve Kean and Venky

Hitting out: Blackburn fans protest against manager Steve Kean and Venky”s

The people have spoken: Blackburn fans protest against Steve Kean and Venkys

The one piece of good news for Kean is the return of Junior Hoilett after a hamstring injury.

And Kean confirmed Gael Givet might be back in a fortnight after it has been decided he would have a procedure to rectify his irregular heartbeat.

“Gael is going to have a procedure,” said Kean.

“He was in training yesterday and seemed quite well in himself.

“But it is something you have to take very seriously when his heartbeat goes up to 300 beats a minute.

“He had it once before in France. He also had it 18 months ago in training.

“But it has moved to a different chamber in the heart.

“It is a small procedure. He should be back within two or three weeks.”