Tag Archives: genk

Christian Benteke not for sale, warns Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert

Benteke is going nowhere! Villa boss Lambert insists he won't sell striker

|

UPDATED:

16:10 GMT, 3 December 2012

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has warned any interested clubs that 7million summer signing Christian Benteke is not for sale.

Benteke has been in sparkling form since his move from Genk on a four year contract.

He has has netted six goals, replaced Darren Bent as Villa’s No 1 striker, and also established himself in the Belgium side.

Denied: Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke had a goal ruled out against QPR at the weekend

Denied: Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke had a goal ruled out against QPR at the weekend

Lambert is constantly singing the praises of the 21-year-old and is adamant he will remain at Villa should any interest be forthcoming in the player.

He said: 'Christian has been excellent for us. He is a big strong lad but he can also play.

'If he keeps progressing the way he has so far, he will be an incredible player.

'I have to hold onto Benteke. He’s going nowhere.'

Lambert added: “I have run out of things to say about Christian. He is not the finished article but he has been excellent for us and a fans’ favourite.

'You have to be a good player to get into the current Belgium side and he has scored plenty of goals for them already.

'He might not peak for a few years yet. He’s only 21 and can be anything he wants.'

Paul Lambert ready to introduce 8m striker Christian Benteke to English football

Lambert to stake all on young guns: Unproven gems ready to take their chance at Villa

|

UPDATED:

21:57 GMT, 14 September 2012

Paul Lambert's gamble on youth gets its first test at Villa Park on Saturday, as 8m striker Christian Benteke makes his entrance into English football.

The Aston Villa boss followed a high-risk policy of buying young and all of them may play against Swansea City.

Giving youth a chance: Lambert's policy of unearthing lower league talent paid off at Norwich

Giving youth a chance: Lambert's policy of unearthing lower league talent paid off at Norwich

Lambert said he wanted the likes of
midfielder Ashley Westwood and defender Joe Bennett to ‘hit the ground
running’ and should hand the 22-year-olds their debuts against Swansea.

But it is Benteke, 21, who will be
under the most scrutiny after his move from Genk on deadline day.
Lambert joked: ‘If Christian tells you it’s raining, you just agree.

‘I think we needed a targetman because we’ve not got someone who can get hold of it,’ said Villa’s boss.

‘Christian is a presence — I think he
will put himself about. He’s a big, strong boy. I watched him the other
night playing for Belgium against Croatia and he was excellent.

'Handful': Lambert praised his new Belgian signing Christian Benteke

'Handful': Lambert praised his new Belgian signing Christian Benteke

‘That Belgium team is really good, so if you can hold your own in that company, you’ll do all right,’ he added.

‘And I’m hoping he can get the best out of Darren Bent, too, because we needed someone who could get us up the pitch.’

Aston Villa make offer Christian Benteke

Villa hope Benteke can solve goal drought as Lambert lodges 6m offer

|

UPDATED:

22:57 GMT, 27 August 2012

Paul Lambert has tried to avert an early-season crisis for Aston Villa by bidding for powerful Genk forward Christian Benteke.

The manager has made an offer of around 6m for the 21-year-old.

Wanted: Belgium's Christian Benteke is a target for Aston Villa and Fulham

Wanted: Belgium's Christian Benteke is a target for Aston Villa and Fulham

Fulham have also been monitoring the Congolese-Belgian striker’s impact for club and country and see him as the ideal replacement for Clint Dempsey, should the American make his expected departure from Craven Cottage.

Benteke has scored 18 goals for Genk in 33 appearances and opened his account for Belgium in their 4-2 win over Holland earlier this month.

Fernando Torres scores against Leicester

What a difference a day makes! Torres finally ends goal drought against Leicester

|

UPDATED:

15:47 GMT, 18 March 2012

Fernando Torres finally ended his goal drought on Sunday when he scored Chelsea's third goal against Leciester in their FA Cup Sixth Round meeting at Stamford Bridge.

The Spanish striker had waited 25 hours and 40 minutes to find the net having last done so against Genk in the Champions League in October.

Torres added gloss to the scoreline after earlier strikes from Gary Cahill and Salomon Kalou.

More to follow…

At last! Fernando Torres (right) slots the ball home against Leicester

At last! Fernando Torres (right) slots the ball home against Leicester

Finally: Torres celebrates his goal with his Chelsea team-mates

Finally: Torres celebrates his goal with his Chelsea team-mates

Kevin de Bruyne closes in on Chelsea move

De Bruyne closes in on Chelsea move with agent to begin talks with Genk about winger's future

Dream move: De Bruyne

Dream move: De Bruyne

Chelsea are closing in on an 8million summer deal for Kevin de Bruyne after it emerged his agent will meet Genk for transfer talks on Wednesday.

The 20-year old winger almost joined Chelsea in the last window and recently complained that his club were pricing him out of his dream move.

His wish finally looks like being granted, though, after Sportsmail learned that his agent Patrick de Coster will hold talks with Genk officials at the Belgian League’s Golden Shoe 2011 player-of-the-year ceremony in Ostend.

Both De Bruyne and De Coster are confident the outcome will be an agreement over a transfer to Stamford Bridge, with the Belgian side now resigned to losing their left-sided midfielder at the end of the season.

It is understood Chelsea rekindled their interest in De Bruyne after this season’s Champions’ League group games between the teams and that, like keeper Thibaut Courtois before him, he will launch his Stamford Bridge career with a season-long loan at another club.

Chelsea back in for Kevin de Bruyne

Chelsea still want me, confirms De Bruyne as Genk star holds out for transfer

Chelsea are still in the hunt for Belgian star Kevin de Bruyne, according to the man himself.

The Blues were keen to take the talented 20-year-old to Stamford Bridge during the summer but refused to meet Genk's asking price.

The failure to agree a fee caused the deal to collapse, leaving De Bruyne with the Belgium league runners-up for at least a few more months.

Wanted: Kevin de Bruyne is set to leave Genk before next season

Wanted: Kevin de Bruyne is set to leave Genk before next season

Now the midfielder, who best operates in a wide attacking position, has revealed Chelsea will be come back for him before the start of next season.

He said: 'Chelsea are still interested in me and already have a plan in place for me. Staying at Genk for another season is not an option for me. Chelsea were serious about signing me but maybe Genk’s asking price was too high.'

De Bruyne failed to impress in two games against Andre Villas-Boas's side in the Champions League earlier this season.

Ahead of the second meeting in Belgium, De Bruyne had said: 'I will think about only doing my best for Genk. 'My “relationship” with Chelsea is not important. Nothing is signed yet, we will see.'