Tag Archives: gallen

Millwall banner: Marvin Sordell cited as police arrest six fans

Millwall caught in fresh storm after six fans arrested over 'Sordell is a c***' banner

|

UPDATED:

12:22 GMT, 11 November 2012

Millwall were caught in a fresh storm after a group of fans displayed a banner bearing the words 'Sordell is a c***' in protest at a 13-year-old supporter being banned for a racist Twitter attack on Marvin Sordell.

The banner was quickly removed by ground staff during Saturday's Championship clash with Derby and six people were arrested by police.

Target: Bolton's Marvin Sordell

Target: Bolton's Marvin Sordell

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said the arrests were made over alleged public order offences.

'Six males were arrested during the game at Millwall in relation to a banner being unfurled at the game,' he said.

'They remain in custody at this time.'

The banner was unfurled in the home end on Saturday during Millwall's 2-1 victory over Derby at The Den.

It was an apparent reference to an incident on October 6 when Bolton midfielder Marvin Sordell was verbally abused by a 13-year-old Millwall fan, who has subsequently been banned from attending matches by the club.

The banner on display was swiftly removed by Millwall staff.

The club refused to comment on the issue, and assistant manager Joe Gallen – standing in for Kenny Jackett, who missed the game with flu – also opted not to discuss the matter.

It came a day after Sordell has
contacted the police after allegedly suffering racial abuse on
Twitter.

It appears to be the third time the Bolton
Wanderers star has been subjected to racial taunts this season and follows the
banning of a 13-year-old Millwall fan for verbally abusing him during a match in
October.

Controversy: A Fan has been banned from ground over Sordell abuse

Controversy: A Fan has been banned from ground over Sordell abuse

In the latest attack he was allegedly called a
'jungle ape' by Twitter user Steve Lawrence, who also reportedly criticised Mr
Sordell for 'crying like a sissy' following the abuse he received from the
Millwall fan.

The young Millwall fan had been was banned by
the club after he admitted abusing Mr Sordell during a match against Bolton Wanderers at the New Den
on October 6.

The club offered the boy a place on a
'Millwall for All' educational programme, instead of imposing a full life ban,
'in the hope that we can change his outlook on equality, racism and life in
general'.

Referring to the incident, Mr Lawrence
tweeted 'jungle apes get more pathetic every week. Tattling (sic) on a
13-year-old – you really cannot set the bar any lower.'

In response, Mr Sordell tweeted: 'racism and
homophobia all in one tweet. Well done, does that make you feel important or
big'

In another tweet Mr Lawrence said, 'blacks and
whites: obviously not the same because whites do not cry like sissies and
fairies when they are booed by pre-teens.'

Sordell said he will pass the messages onto police, according to the Daily Star newspaper.

Adel Taarabt signs new QPR deal

Boost for QPR as Taarabt signs three-year deal at Loftus Road

|

UPDATED:

15:59 GMT, 11 July 2012

Adel Taarabt has ended speculation over his QPR future by signing a new long-term contract at the club.

The 23-year-old joined the west Londoners from Tottenham in August 2010 following two successful loan spells and has long been linked with a move away from Loftus Road.

Paris St Germain seemed Taarabt's likely destination last summer but he remained with the west Londoners, who he has now signed a three-year contract extension with.

Come in No 10: Taarabt has signed a new contract with the Loftus Road club

Come in No 10: Taarabt has signed a new contract with the Loftus Road club

'I am very pleased to have signed this contract,' Taarabt told the club's official website.

'When I first arrived here I honestly thought it would be just for a short period but I love this club and the people here have really helped me and I am very happy to be here.

'I had a tough start to the season last year, but I worked hard and I have really enjoyed it under Mark Hughes.

'The club is getting bigger and bigger, with a new training ground and talk of a new stadium is very exciting.

Staying put: Taarabt had been linked with a move away from QPR

Staying put: Taarabt had been linked with a move away from QPR

'In the time I have been here, QPR's ambition has changed.

'Last year the aim was to stay in the Premier League. We achieved this and now we want to progress and improve.

'Nobody is speaking about what we can achieve but we really want to move up the Premier League.'

As well as signing a new deal, Taarabt has been handed the No 10 jersey at QPR – worn previously by the likes of Stan Bowles, Rodney Marsh and Kevin Gallen.

The move, which will see the vacated No 7 seven shirt worn by new signing Park Ji-sung, has been welcomed by the Morocco international.

'This means a lot to me personally,' he said. 'I was happy with the “7” but I know “10” is very important at QPR. Special players like Bowles and Marsh have worn this.

'The club told me that the fans want me to have this shirt. So if this makes the fans happy too, it is even better for me.'

Taarabt credits Mark Hughes for his transformation and the QPR manager was quick to express his delight at the new deal.

'It is important that we keep good, young players at QPR because that is going to drive what we want to do and Adel is a big part of that,' he said.

'There is no question he can produce moments of skill that not many players can.'

Fernando Torres and Juan Mata called up to Spain squad

Top week for Torres and Mata capped by call to Spain squad

|

UPDATED:

12:41 GMT, 21 May 2012

Champions League winners Fernando Torres and Juan Mata have been added to the Spain squad ahead of the upcoming friendlies against Serbia and South Korea.

The duo, who on Saturday helped Chelsea win the Champions League for the first time in their history, were initially absent from Vicente Del Bosque's 21-man squad along with players from Copa del Rey finalists Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao due to their club commitments.

Internationals: Fernando Torres (left) and Juan Mata (right) have been selected by Spain

Internationals: Fernando Torres (left) and Juan Mata (right) have been selected by Spain

However, the two forwards were called up by Del Bosque on Monday.

A statement on the RFEF website read: 'The national team coach, Vicente Del Bosque, has called up the Chelsea players Fernando Torres and Juan Mata. Both internationals will be join the squad on May 25 in St Gallen.'

The Copa del Rey final takes places on Friday night while Spain face Serbia on Saturday in St Gallen, Switzerland, before meeting South Korea in Bern the following Wednesday.

Del Bosque is set to name his final 23-man squad for Euro 2012 on Sunday.

Torres and Mata were part of the Spain squad that won the World Cup in 2010 while Torres scored the winning goal in the final of Euro 2008.

Winner: Torres (left) with the spanish flag draped around him

Winner: Torres (left) with the spanish flag draped around him

However, whereas Mata has excelled for Chelsea this season, Torres has found life difficult at Stamford Bridge since his British record 50million move from Liverpool in January 2011 and that cast doubts on whether he would win a place in Spain's Euro 2012 squad.

The 28-year-old, who was not in Chelsea's starting line-up for their Champions League final, spoke on Sunday of his disappointment at how his season went and is looking to discuss his future with the Blues ahead of the next campaign.

Another dilemma facing Del Bosque as he finalises his squad for Ukraine and Poland is the fitness of Barcelona striker David Villa, who has not played since before Christmas after suffering a broken leg.

Barca captain Carles Puyol appears almost certain to miss out on this summer's tournament after recently undergoing knee surgery.