Green for go: Failed SFA appeal will not halt Ibrox takeover
22:50 GMT, 17 May 2012
Charles Green has told supporters he has no intention of walking away from Rangers despite the handicap of an SFA transfer embargo.
On a whirlwind day of meetings on Thursday, the prospective Ibrox owner discussed his plans with SFA chief executive Stewart Regan and SPL counterpart Neil Doncaster at Hampden before meeting fans' representatives.
Amid widespread anger at the refusal of a three-man Appellate Tribunal, headed by Lord Carloway, to overturn a 12-month transfer ban and a 160,000 fine, Green refused to rule out a legal challenge.
I won't walk away: Green at Hampden
on Thursday after talks with SFA and SPL chiefs
Critically, however, he confirmed that he will press on with his 8.5million takeover regardless.
After meeting the Rangers Supporters Assembly on Sunday and the Rangers Fans Fighting Fund on Wednesday, Green held another gathering of supporters chiefs last night and told them he expects the club to be debt free and challenging Celtic for titles within five years.
He also said there was a 20m investment pot.
And, in spite of having only six of the 20 potential investors confirmed, he told fans he is still fielding investment queries and has written to Ticketus, giving formal notice of an intention to terminate the 27m deal established by Craig Whyte.
Earlier, Green emerged from a two-and-a-half hour meeting with the governing body at Hampden to say of the transfer embargo: 'When we offered to buy the club, we realised what the potential was.
'Last night's announcement was an option we considered when we bought the club.'
Citing legal advice that the verdict was 'not competent', Green said all possibilities – including legal redress – remain on the table as the stricken club seek to overturn a decision which would prohibit the signing of players over 18 during the next two transfer windows.
Rumours abound: Glasgow alive of talk about Kenny Dalglish arriving
'We are discussing all the options available,' added Green, a former Sheffield United chief executive and figurehead of an investment group also said to feature ex-Newcastle chairman Freddy Shepherd.
Former Sheffield United owner Mike McDonald is a key backer, while reports swept Glasgow last night of a possible bid to bring sacked Liverpool manager – and Celtic legend – Kenny Dalglish to the fray.
Concerned by the lack of clarity over the identity of the investors, the SFA sought assurances on Thursday after Green's reluctance to name them publicly.
Describing his talks with Regan, Doncaster and SFA board members as 'productive', the 59-year-old said: 'The questions they were asking were the obvious questions. About where I think we are and where we are trying to go.
'We've achieved quite a lot. We spoke to members of the board of the SFA and to executives of the SPL. And I think it has been a very, very productive meeting.
'We are happy everyone is positive in terms of looking at what is best for Rangers and for the SPL. We are encouraged by the meeting.'
Rangers fans were angered by the refusal to overturn the transfer ban and could push ahead with plans to boycott away matches.
Thousands protested outside Hampden last month when the punishment was initially handed down.
Andy Kerr, president of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, said: 'We were hopeful the appeals process would help. Now we know it hasn't been a help, we will revisit our previous discussion.
'There will definitely be a call not to support away matches because that is directly impacting on the other clubs and they are member clubs of the SFA.
'Potentially, there will be a call not to enter the Scottish Cup because that is the only competition we compete in that's directly under the auspices of the SFA.
'The other one is non-cooperation with national squads.'