Tag Archives: fights

Kell Brook v Devon Alexander confirmed for February 23in Detroit

Brook vows to bring world title back to Britain as Alexander bout is confirmed

|

UPDATED:

11:43 GMT, 18 December 2012

Kell Brook will challenge for Devon Alexander's IBF world welterweight title on February 23 in Detroit.

The Sheffield star had been pencilled in to fight the American next month in either Los Angeles or Las Vegas but an ankle injury forced the bout to be delayed.

The 26-year-old earned the right to face Alexander by stopping Hector Saldivia inside three rounds in the final eliminator in Sheffield in October.

The Special One: Kell Brook will head to Detroit in February for a crack at the IBF welterweight title

The Special One: Kell Brook will head to Detroit in February for a crack at the IBF welterweight title

Brook tweeted this morning: 'Feb 23 I'm gonna show the world just how Special I am. I'm gonna bring this world title home for Britain.'

Richard Schaefer, CEO of Alexander's promoters Golden Boy, confirmed the fight could be one of three world title bouts.

'We'll have two world title fights, and it could turn out to be three, so if we bring three world title fights, including one with hometown champion [Cornelius] 'K9' Bundrage, I think we will do darn well there,' he told ESPN.

Home advantage: Devon Alexander will be defending his crown on home soil

Home advantage: Devon Alexander will be defending his crown on home soil

'Detroit is a great fight town.

Alexander won the IBF strap with a unanimous decision over Randall Bailey just hours after Brook's decisive victory.

The 25-year-old is a two-weight world champion having previously held the IBF and WBC light-welterweight titles before losing to Timothy Bradley in January.

Kell Brook world title fight with Devon Alexander pencilled in for February or March

Brook world title fight back on: Alexander showdown pencilled in for February or March

|

UPDATED:

22:08 GMT, 13 December 2012

Rising British star Kell Brook has been given a provisional New Year date for a big world title fight in America.

Golden Boy promotions are pencilling in either February 23 or March 2 as the rescheduled date for the injured Brook’s challenge to welterweight champion Devon Alexander in Los Angeles.

Date with destiny: The Sheffield boxer will get his world title shot in February or March

Date with destiny: The Sheffield boxer will get his world title shot in February or March

Unbeaten: Brook has won all 29 of his professional fights with 19 knockouts

Unbeaten: Brook has won all 29 of his professional fights with 19 knockouts

Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn told BBC 5 Live: ‘Kell could have fought as planned next month but would only have been about 60 per cent fit after injury his ankle and missing road running.

'He is a little down in the dumps but in order to do himself justice, he can't fight on that day.

'I didn't want hundreds or thousands of Brits booking their flights to America and losing out.

'There's no way after all the work we've done, we can let a 60 per cent Kell Brook go into what is a 50/50 fight.

'It's not a terrible injury; he
turned it in Fuerteventura and he can't exert himself as well as the
strength and science guys want him to.'

Hearn continued: ‘We would prefer March 2 to give him more time to be 100 per cent for a fight as tough and important as this one.

'If it was up to Kell Brook, he'd fight but I have to intervene and listen to the experts.You cannot go out to America if you have any doubts in your mind.

'New York comes back into play and they're also talking about Detroit. We don't mind where we go but what does matter is that Kell is ready for the biggest fight of his life.'

Kell Brook to fight Devon Alexander for IBF welterweight title in January 2013

Brook to fight IBF king Alexander for shot at world welterweight crown

|

UPDATED:

10:59 GMT, 11 November 2012


Title shot: Kell Brook

Title shot: Kell Brook

Kell Brook has been offered a shot at Devon Alexander’s IBF welterweight world title in January.

The 26-year-old from Sheffield earned a crack at the belt when he stopped Argentinian Hector Saldivia inside three rounds last month in the final eliminator.

Brook’s promoter Eddie Hearn confirmed a deal has been proposed for a title fight on January 19 – either in Las Vegas or New York – and indicated an agreement is likely to be reached this week.

Hearn said: 'We have received an offer to fight Devon for the IBF world title on January 19. In principle we are happy with the terms and will now work to try and get this made this week.

Champion: Brook will look to win Devon Alexander's IBF welterweight title in January

Champion: Brook will look to win Devon Alexander's IBF welterweight title in January

'The venue looks like NYC or Vegas but definitely not St Louis (where Alexander is based).'

Brook is undefeated after 29 professional fights and will be looking to follow in the footsteps of fellow Wincobank Gym graduates Naseem Hamed and Johnny Nelson in winning a world title.

Nathan Cleverly could fight Bernard Hopkins next year

De La Hoya reveals legend Hopkins could fight Cleverly in Britain next year

|

UPDATED:

12:18 GMT, 8 November 2012

Oscar De La Hoya has indicated that plans are underway to make a fight between Nathan Cleverly and ring legend Bernard Hopkins in Britain in 2013.

Hopkins laughed off claims earlier this year that negotiations were held to stage a bout against the WBO light-heavyweight champion, but De La Hoya, who founded the Golden Boy Promotions organisation in which Hopkins is a partner, insisted the fight could yet happen.

De La Hoya said: ‘What is very possible is Bernard Hopkins going to Britain to box Nathan.

Man on a mission: Nathan Cleverly hopes 2013 will be a big year

Man on a mission: Nathan Cleverly hopes 2013 will be a big year

‘We feel that the UK fans are some of the most passionate and knowledgeable in the world when it comes to boxing.

‘A lot of fighters in the United States are now realising they should go overseas and challenge the best.’

Six-weight world champion De La Hoya met Cleverly for the first time on Wednesday ahead of his fight with Shawn Hawk in Los Angeles on Saturday.

Cleverly has struggled to land the big-name opponents in a competitive light-heavyweight division, but De La Hoya believes the Welshman has the ability to match Chad Dawson (WBC), Beibut Shumenov (WBA) or Tavoris Cloud (IBF) in a unification fight.

He said: ‘Nathan can go far. He is a fan-friendly fighter

‘He has a great promoter in Frank Warren. Along with Frank we can come up with the big American fights and bring in the people.

Legend: Bernard Hopkins (left) was last in action against Chad Dawson

Legend: Bernard Hopkins (left) was last in action against Chad Dawson

‘But, ultimately it is up to what Nathan does in the ring. It is in his hands whether he wants to make a big splash or not. As long as you can match him up with the right fighters there is no limit to how far he can go

‘Nathan is that he a strong puncher, but he has good speed. That makes for a dangerous boxer-puncher – that is what I was.

‘He looks motivated, ready to go but he has very tough fight against Hawk. It will be compelling viewing.’

Meanwhile, legendary trainer Freddie Roach has admitted he would love to work with Cleverly.

Praise: Freddie Roach

Praise: Freddie Roach

The unbeaten Welshman has been sparring at Roach's Wild Card Gym and has vowed to return for future camps.

'You want guys like that at your gym,' he said. 'I wouldn't hesitate to take him on,” said Roach. 'He's definitely talented, I'd love to have him.

'We haven't discussed him coming here yet but he's here and maybe there's a reason why he is here.

'I think he is at the right stage where a unification fight would be good for him and he has the potential to beat any of the world champions.

'It is a very competitive division right now – there are some good fights out there for him.

'He's a great boxer but his punching power is not the best in the world.

'He still has a little bit of an immature style of scoring points and getting out of the way, but sometimes you have to take more chances.

'The passive defence gives you a good defence but you can't slip in a counter punch and that is the best way to knock out guys as you can take advantage of your opponent's mistakes.'

BBC to hit back at Royal Lytham

Brian Barwick: BBC aiming to hit back at Lytham… and they've got Sir Nick to help

|

UPDATED:

21:30 GMT, 18 July 2012

When the new BBC director-general, George Entwistle, takes up the reins in September he may well enjoy some autumn sunshine and the reflected glow of a stunning summer for BBC Sport.

With big viewing figures for Euro 2012 and Wimbledon behind them and the Olympics to come, it is possible that the Corporation’s sports viewing figures will swamp the end-of-year audience ratings charts, a timely reminder that sport remains an integral part of what licence-payers want and expect.

On Wednesday, the BBC endorsed that view in celebrating the securing of the contract to broadcast the Olympic Games up to and including 2020.

Driving forward: The BBC will bring all the best pictures when Royal Lytham

Driving forward: The BBC will bring all the best pictures when Royal Lytham

This was a boost for the BBC who no longer televise Test cricket or the FA Cup final, inexplicably have lost the Grand National, the Derby and Royal Ascot, have had their live Formula One coverage sliced in half, controversially moved the sports department to Salford and allowed their on-screen talent to seemingly pop up everywhere.

Next week the BBC will concentrate on things Faster, Higher, Stronger — in the meantime, three other words describe their current approach to televised sport.

Fewer, Bigger, Better is the mantra of an organisation who can’t allow themselves too many fist-fights in the broadcast rights market — and so are in the business of maximising the value of what they have.

The BBC’s recent coverage of Wimbledon proved they can still deliver handsomely when the schedules are opened up, the Centre Court roof is closed, we have ‘our man’ Murray in the final, and there is a genuine confidence about the scale and size of the operation.

Viewer finder: BBC figures will be on the up in the coming weeks thanks to sport

Viewer finder: BBC figures will be on the up in the coming weeks thanks to sport

This week it is the turn of golf’s Open Championship at Royal Lytham to enjoy some of that BBC Sport ‘lurve’ and the R&A expect nothing less.

Earlier this year, Peter Dawson, chief executive of the R&A, pitched in with a well-aimed criticism of the BBC’s commitment to golf in terms of hours and money. The former had ‘dwindled’, the latter ‘plateaued’.

Well, the BBC have responded. They’ve added Sir Nick Faldo to this week’s commentary team and will broadcast upwards of 40 hours of live coverage over four days across BBC1 and BBC2.

On board: Sir Nick Faldo

On board: Sir Nick Faldo

The action will be captured on around 80 cameras and a small army of camera personnel, technicians and production staff will help the BBC comfortably make the cut in terms of quality and content.

And amid all the modern fandangos of HD, red button, mobile and online, reassuringly it will be a celebrated octogenarian gently guiding us through the action.

Peter Alliss remains the signature voice of the sport and listening to him last weekend at the Scottish Open, for me, he still remains the man to beat.

Of course he has his detractors, but just like David ‘Bumble’ Lloyd on Sky Sports’ exemplary cricket coverage, Alliss uses the pedestrian nature of his sport to muse on all things in golf and life — and take us along with him. He sees the sport as representing more than a string of golf shots.

As a precursor to a monumental few weeks in London, the BBC will hope for a special few days of links golf where the heavens may open but there’ll be no roof to close. Just a point to prove.

Amir Khan announces Vegas fight with Danny Garcia

I will beat Amir! Unbeaten Garcia ready to battle Khan as Vegas bout is announced

|

UPDATED:

10:43 GMT, 23 May 2012

Amir Khan is set to fight WBC light-welterweight champion Danny Garcia on July 14.

Khan revealed on his Twitter page on Wednesday that he will face the unbeaten American in Las Vegas, and Garcia is confident he can record a 24th victory.

Fighting on: Amir Khan (left) will fight Danny Garcia in July after his bout with Lamont Peterson (right) was cancelled

Fighting on: Amir Khan (left) will fight Danny Garcia in July after his bout with Lamont Peterson (right) was cancelled

The bout has been arranged after Khan's rematch against Lamont Peterson for the WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles, which was due to be staged earlier this month, was cancelled after Peterson failed a drug test.

Khan, 25, was hoping to regain his titles after he was controversially beaten by Peterson in Washington DC on points in December 2011.

Stand-in: Danny Garcia (right) will fight Khan in Las Vegas in July

Stand-in: Danny Garcia (right) will fight Khan in Las Vegas in July

And his new opponent, although young, has a formidable record in his early career, with 23 wins in 23 bouts – 14 by knockout.

Garcia, 24, welcomed the fight and believes he will retain his unbeaten record, claiming Khan was over-rated.

'I feel like this is how it's supposed to be: the best versus the best, both of us in our prime and giving the fans a great fight,' Garcia said.

Focus: Khan wants to halt Garcia's impressive unbeaten record

Focus: Khan wants to halt Garcia's impressive unbeaten record

'I'm just happy – I feel like I have what it takes to beat this guy.

'I've watched Khan a lot. He's a good fighter, but I don't think he's what people say he is, getting all this credit.

'I feel like he will leave himself open for some big shots and we'll see if he can take them. I can box and I can punch.

'I'm going to hit him with stuff he won't see. I can't wait.'

Khan, who has lost two professional fights of his 28, tweeted: 'May the best man win on 14 July. Khan vs Garcia'

Scott Quigg gets up off the canvas to stop Jamie Arthur and retain champ"s belt

Quigg gets up off the canvas to stop Arthur and retain champ's belt

Scott Quigg recovered from a
fourth-round knockdown to stop Jamie Arthur in the eighth to make a
successful first defence of his British super-bantamweight title.

Both men started tentatively at the
Reebok Stadium in Bolton but the fight came to life in the fourth
session when Quigg was floored by a left hand from the Welshman.

Arthur, 32, who was returning to the
ring after a year out, tried to finish the fight there and then but
Quigg showed his resilience.

Belt up: Scott Quigg shows off his British title after defeating Jamie Arthur

Belt up: Scott Quigg shows off his British title after defeating Jamie Arthur

And the 23-year-old from Bury upped the pace in the next round and began to dominate with Arthur momentarily rocked by a crashing right hand.

Quigg had his opponent pinned to the ropes from the sixth as the body shots began to reign in.

A clash of heads saw Arthur cut below his right eye in the following round as the fight drew towards its inevitable conclusion.

A left hook to the body had Arthur in trouble and as he spun away, referee Mark Green called a halt to proceedings.

Quigg, who is is now undefeated in 24 professional fights, said: 'I thought I caught him with a good body shot and he's turned his back.

'I've said all along that he's a dangerous fighter and he showed that in the fourth round.'

Arthur meanwhile felt the bout was stopped too soon.

He said: 'It was a good shot but I was off balance so I'm disappointed. I had him down in the fourth and it was turning into a barnstormer of a fight.'

Carl Frampton knocks out Kris Hughes in seven rounds

Unbeaten Frampton keeps title after putting Hughes down in seven rounds

Carl Frampton retained his Commonwealth Super Bantamweight title with a seventh round knockout of Kris Hughes.

The Northern Irishman dominated from start to finish at London's York Hall and the result was never in doubt.

Frampton is now unbeaten in his 12 professional fights.

Easy: Carl Frampton destroyed Kris Hughes

Easy: Carl Frampton destroyed Kris Hughes

The champion has his sights set on British title holder Scott Quigg and took another step towards that fight on Saturday night.

Cutting off the ring well, he bombarded Hughes with body shots and the Scot offered little in return.

Rare: Hughes strikes back, but the result was never in doubt

Rare: Hughes strikes back, but the result was never in doubt

Hughes appeared to be coping with the barrage but was rocked by a right hand in the seventh round and crashed to the canvas.

Frampton may return to the ring in New York on the undercard of Matthew Macklin's world title fight on March 17.

Carl Froch focused on future after Andre Ward defeat

Froch puts up a fight for the future as beaten champion sets sights on Bute

As Carl Froch joined a slew of his fighting compatriots on the Boardwalk of broken dreams here, the midwinter landscape looked bleak for British boxing.

All is not lost, however. Not according to the eighth home fighter to be defeated in a major world title bout on foreign soil this year.

As he recoiled from his emphatic Super Six final defeat here by Andre Ward, Carl the Cobra said: ‘Losing all these championships is not the place we wanted to be but it’s not the disaster some people think.

Beaten: Carl Froch lost his belt to Andre Ward on Sunday morning

Beaten: Carl Froch lost his belt to Andre Ward on Sunday morning

‘We have had a whole bunch of lads competing at the highest level and that speaks well of the strength in depth of our game. Many of us will come back to win belts again and there are other young fighters coming through.’

Froch is already lined up for a matching pair of IBF world super-middleweight title fights against Canada’s Lucian Bute next year, the first in Montreal in April and the return in Nottingham in mid-summer.

Taking a punch: Froch couldn

Taking a punch: Froch couldn”t cope with Ward”s speed and combinations

Before that Dereck Chisora has a shot at Vitali Klitschko’s share in the family heavyweight championship business and Matthew Macklin is about to sign for a glamorous New York tilt at the world’s top middleweight, Argentina’s Sergio Martinez.

Nathan Cleverly will be welcomed home to Cardiff on February 25 for a defence of his WBO light-heavyweight title, the biggest fight in Wales since Joe Calzaghe retired undefeated.

Then, on March 10, Scotland’s Ricky Burns defends his interim WBO lightweight championship in Glasgow.

No 1: Ward is now the WBC and WBA super middleweight champion

No 1: Ward is now the WBC and WBA super middleweight champion

Eddie Hearn, Froch’s promoter, said: ‘In one way 2011 has been a great year for British boxing since so many of our boys have been engaged in world title fights. It would be nice going into these big matches more or less sure of winning but we have to take more risks now. We can no longer feed our fighters a diet of beatable opponents. The public will not stand for that rubbish any longer.’

Meanwhile, Amir Khan faces a long wait for a rematch with Lamont Peterson after the IBF ruled against his appeal that the result was unfair. Promoter Bob Arum hopes to match Timothy Bradley with Peterson.