Tag Archives: face

Margaret Thatcher passes away: Dave Whelan wants minute"s silence for former Prime Minister

Wigan boss Whelan calls for Wembley silence before Millwall clash to honour former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

By
David Kent

PUBLISHED:

17:09 GMT, 9 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

17:09 GMT, 9 April 2013

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan has called for a one-minute silence in honour of Baroness Margaret Thatcher.

The former Prime Minister died yesterday, aged 87 after suffering a stroke.

Whelan, whose Wigan side face Millwall in their FA Cup semi-final clash on Saturday, believes football fans should pay their respects to the deceased prime Minister.

Eyes on the prize: Dave Whelan would like a minute's silence for the former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

Eyes on the prize: Dave Whelan would like a minute's silence for the former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher

Speaking to the BBC, Whelan said: 'We owe Mrs Thatcher a minute's silence.

'We have to say thank you very much for the service she gave'.

But the Premier League have told Sportsmail there are no plans for a one-minute silence ahead of this weekend fixtures.

Alfred N"Diaye joins Sunderland

Sunderland complete first signing of window as N'Diaye joins for 3m from Bursaspor

By
Adam Shergold

PUBLISHED:

15:29 GMT, 9 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

15:37 GMT, 9 January 2013

Sunderland have completed the signing of midfielder Alfred N'Diaye from Turkish side Bursaspor for 3m.

As revealed by Sportmail earlier this week, the 22-year-old has today signed a three-and-a-half year deal at the Stadium of Light after completing a medical and agreeing personal terms.

He is Martin O'Neill's first signing of the January transfer window.

New face: Alfred N'Diaye has joined Sunderland for 3m from Turkish side Bursaspor

New face: Alfred N'Diaye has joined Sunderland for 3m from Turkish side Bursaspor

N'Diaye started his career with Nancy
four years ago and moved to Turkey at the start of last season after
more than 60 appearances in the French top division.

O’Neill,
who is desperate for midfield cover for injured captain Lee Cattermole,
launched a bid for the ball-winning midfielder at the opening of the
transfer window.

Powerhouse: N'Diaye (left) passed a medical on Wearside today and could make his debut against West Ham this weekend

Powerhouse: N'Diaye (left) passed a medical on Wearside today and could make his debut against West Ham this weekend

He told his club's website: 'Alfred is a strong, powerful young player and as such can offer us more strength in depth.

'He will give us options and I'm delighted that we have been able to bring him to the club.'

N'Diaye could go straight into the squad for Saturday's home game with West Ham if he receives international clearance in time.

Arsene Wenger can deal with sick chants

I can deal with the sick chants – I just block them out, insists Arsenal boss Wenger

|

UPDATED:

00:01 GMT, 6 November 2012

Unfazed: Wenger

Unfazed: Wenger

Arsene Wenger insists he is strong enough to handle the sick taunts directed at him.

For years the Arsenal manager has been the subject of disgusting chants from opposition fans around the country. But on Monday night Wenger said: ‘I know who I am and I’m the only person who matters.’

The songs often make reference to Wenger as a ‘paedophile’. And the abuse hit a new low recently with West Ham and Manchester United fans inventing chants comparing Wenger to Jimmy Savile.

Wenger has often spoken about his disdain for the chants that follow him around the grounds, but the Frenchman on Monday insisted that these fans are wasting their breath.

‘Honestly, I do not even worry about that any more, I don’t even hear it,’ said Wenger. ‘When I see my face in the mirror, I can look at it.

‘You want respect but I can’t master people’s abuse.’

Insistent: Wenger says Walcott's situation is not linked to his contract dispute

Insistent: Wenger says Walcott's situation is not linked to his contract dispute

Meanwhile, Wenger insisted Theo Walcott’s lack of action was not linked with his contract dispute.

He added: ‘It’s nothing linked with his contract at all. It’s because I’ve played other players, it’s as simple as that.’

Nigel Adkins: Southampton won"t sack me after Tottenham defeat

Southampton won't throw me overboard, insists under-fire Adkins after Spurs defeat

|

UPDATED:

22:00 GMT, 28 October 2012

Nigel Adkins insists his job as Southampton manager is safe, despite the defeat by Tottenham making it four games without a win.

Southampton were dreadful in the first half, with some fans booing the team as they went off at half-time.

But as Adkins heads into a month which sees his team face winnable games against West Brom, Swansea, QPR, Newcastle and Norwich, he remains confident that chairman Nicola Cortese will not be looking for a replacement.

Struggle: Adkins' side occupy 19th in the Premier League

Struggle: Adkins' side occupy 19th in the Premier League

'I'll get time from the board,' insisted 47-year-old Adkins.

'You need to be confident and positive. We're all working hard for each other. We have regular meetings for all employees and I told them that we've had plain sailing in recent years with back-to-back promotions. But this season it is going to be a bit choppy. But you have to stick together and come through the storm. Then you say, “Well done”. It's a great challenge and one we are enjoying. No-one said it was going to be easy. This is the hardest league in the world and we are giving a good account of ourselves.'

Adkins cut a relaxed figure after the match, seemingly handling the defeat better than his goalkeeper Artur Boruc, who was alleged to have kicked a bottle of water at a steward after Tottenham's second goal. He also sarcastically applauded the Southampton fans for booing him at the end of the first half.

Bad day at the office: Boruc was alleged to have kicked a bottle at a steward

Bad day at the office: Boruc was alleged to have kicked a bottle at a steward

For Andre Villas-Boas, it was a more pleasing afternoon as Tottenham moved into the top four, something the manager believes is important even at this early stage of the season.

'It's a massive win considering that we
are embracing the Europa League,' said Villas-Boas, whose side only
returned from Slovenia after the draw with Maribor at 2am on Friday.

On target: Bale scored Tottenham's opener

On target: Bale scored Tottenham's opener

'We want to make the most of the Southampton and Wigan games before we go to Man City and Arsenal. It is important to be in the top four, especially ahead of those games against teams who are fighting around us.'

And the Portuguese said the spirit his side showed in the second half was reminiscent of the 3-2 win at Old Trafford last month.

'I said to the players at half-time that only 3-0 would put the game to bed because they had nothing to lose,' he said.

'But as soon as they scored, the nature of the game changed. It was similar to the game at Old Trafford in its nature. But we showed the desire in the second half. You want that kind of effort from your players.'

Villas-Boas embraced all his players at the end and sent them to the away fans to give away their shirts.

"I couldn"t pretend to be Welsh": Birmingham-born Turner rejects Coleman"s advances

'I couldn't pretend to be Welsh': Birmingham-born Turner rejects Coleman's advances

|

UPDATED:

14:03 GMT, 27 October 2012

Cardiff City's Ben Turner has turned his back on the chance to play international football for Wales, admitting he did not want to 'kid' anyone.

The 24-year-old defender qualifies to play for Chris Coleman's side through his Welsh grandmother – and the Wales boss had been scouting his progress.

Yet Turner, who has represented England at Under 19 level, was quick to reject the offer of changing allegiance, saying he did not want to 'pretend to be a Welshman'.

'Clear conscience': Ben Turner (right) will not be playing for Wales

'Clear conscience': Ben Turner (right) will not be playing for Wales

'I’m English and that’s how it is,' the Birmingham-born player told the BBC.

'I wouldn’t want to stop anyone for wanting to play international football if they felt it was right for them and they can justify it in their own head.

Familiar face: Chris Coleman worked with Turner at Coventry

Familiar face: Chris Coleman worked with Turner at Coventry

'But I couldn’t justify it for me and clear my own conscience.

'It would be like I was pretending to be a Welshman when I’m not.

'I wouldn’t want to kid anyone but at the same time I don’t want to annoy anyone either because that’s not my style.

'It was very flattering to be asked and I know Chris Coleman well from when we were both at Coventry.

'It went through my head that “who am I to turn down playing for Wales”

'But I’m not doing it because of that, I’m doing it for my own reasons which are the right reasons.

'Would a Welsh guy asked to play for England, would he do that

'I probably won’t have the chance to play for England but, in my head, that’s not the point.'

Andreas Granqvist flattered by Liverpool interest

Granqvist flattered by Liverpool interest as Rodgers scouts Genoa defender

|

UPDATED:

07:41 GMT, 15 October 2012

Andreas Granqvist has welcomed interest from Liverpool and revealed he would be keen on a move to Anfield.

The Sweden international will be known to Wigan fans as he spent 18 months with the Latics and made 14 appearances in the 2007-2008 season.

He struggled to secure a permanent
position with the Barclays Premier League outfit but has now established
himself as one of the best defenders in Serie A.

International class: Granqvist appeared for Sweden at this summer's Euros

International class: Granqvist appeared for Sweden at this summer's Euros

And Brendan Rodgers has asked Liverpool scouts to monitor his progress this season with a bid for the 27-year-old a possibility in January.

Granqvist told Sportbladet: 'Honestly, I don't know much about this interest. I am focused on Sweden's World Cup qualifiers and then we'll see what happens,' Granqvist

'I am happy in Genoa, but obviously I am flattered by the interest from the Reds. They are an historic and successful club.'

Familiar face: Granqvist spent a season with Wigan

Familiar face: Granqvist spent a season with Wigan

Cesc Fabregas staying at Barcelona despite unhappiness at role

Fabregas insists he won't quit Barcelona despite revealing pain at bit-part role

|

UPDATED:

08:56 GMT, 7 September 2012

Cesc Fabregas says he wants to end his career at Barcelona despite previously announcing that he was 'unhappy' with his role at the club.

The former Arsenal captain rejoined his boyhood club last summer for 35million but remains second-choice at the heart of Barca's midfield behind Nou Camp legends Xavi Hernandez and Andres Iniesta.

Fabregas got a rare start in Barca's narrow victory over Valencia on Sunday but was hauled off after only 63 minutes, which prompted him to say: 'There's no such thing as a great substitute in the world of football.

National duty: Cesc Fabregas (second left) in training with Spain at Pasaron Stadium in Pontevedra, Galicia

National duty: Cesc Fabregas (second left) in training with Spain at Pasaron Stadium in Pontevedra, Galicia

'I always wish my team-mates well and put a happy face on. If I have to take my unhappy face home then so be it, but I would never let my team-mates or manager see it.'

Fabregas's unhappiness was revealed just days after Cristiano Ronaldo had revealed he too was feeling 'sad' for 'professional reasons' at Barca's great rivals, Real Madrid.

But Fabregas, 25, has moved to defuse his own situation, insisting he has no desire to quit the Catalan giants.

'This whole situation is exaggerated,' he told Catalunya Radio. 'I am happy. I am at the club I wanted to be at for many years. Currently I am very calm.

Midfield riches: Fabregas (left) is struggling to make Barcelona's first team this season

Midfield riches: Fabregas (left) is struggling to make Barcelona's first team this season

'I’m doing my job and working as anyone else to make life difficult for my coach (to leave me out).

'I want to retire at the Camp Nou.'

Fabregas also said he was taking encouragement from the man currently blocking his path to the Barcelona team – playmaker supreme Xavi.

The 32-year-old pass master was tasked with filling the shoes of Pep Guardiola when he first arrived on the scene in the late 1990s, but his patient playing style was not without its critics.

But Xavi has since gone on to lift three Champions League titles with Barca as well as two World Cups and a European Championship with Spain, cementing his place as one of the game's all-time greats.

Learning from the best: Andres Iniesta (second right) and Xavi Hernandez (left) in Spain training

Learning from the best: Andres Iniesta (second right) and Xavi Hernandez (left) in Spain training

Fabregas hopes that he too can overcome a tricky start to life at the Nou Camp before making his mark on the club's history.

'When Guardiola retired it was not easy for Xavi,' Fabregas added. 'People did not understand his game and he was criticised. Now he is one of the best players in the history of Barca.

'People take time to get used to you. With Iniesta it also went something like this.'

Cesc Fabregas complains about life at Barcelona

First Ronaldo, now Fabregas… Barca midfielder unhappy with Nou Camp life

|

UPDATED:

18:50 GMT, 4 September 2012

Cesc Fabregas has admitted his frustration over his recent inconsistent performances for Barcelona.

The Spain international midfielder, who revealed his frustration at not playing every minute of every game, was substituted only 63 minutes into Barca's narrow victory over Valencia on Sunday.

Despite starting all three Primera Division games so far this term, Fabregas remains far from happy playing a cameo role for his boyhood club, having returned to the Nou Camp last summer for 30million after eight years at Arsenal.

Upset: Cesc Fabregas takes his 'unhappy face' home with him

Upset: Cesc Fabregas takes his 'unhappy face' home with him

His complaint echoes that of Real
Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, who refused to celebrate his brace
against Granada due to feeling 'sad' for 'professional reasons'.

Fabregas told Radio Marca: 'There's no such thing as a great substitute in the world of football.

'I couldn't tell you what makes a great substitute.

'I always wish my team-mates well and put a happy face on.

'If I have to take my unhappy face home then so be it, but I would never let my team-mates or manager see it.'

The versatile 25-year-old competes for a starting berth in the centre of the park with Andres Iniesta, Xavi, Sergio Busquets and new recruit Alex Song, his former Gunners team-mate.

Sad: Cristiano Ronaldo has been complaining at Real Madrid

Sad: Cristiano Ronaldo has been complaining at Real Madrid

'Everybody likes to play every minute of the season,' he added.

'I've always said that I play for the best team in the world, but I came here to compete, to learn and enjoy, not to sit wracking my brains.

'The manager knows what I can offer. But across the three positions that I can play, I am competing with the three best players in the world.

'I'm delighted to be a part of this team but when a coach tells me I have to go, I'll go.

'But I will not make it easy for him to do so, by any means. I will keep going, looking forward to the time that things change. I came here to see out my career.'

England v South Africa: First ODI live score

LIVE: England v South Africa – Follow the score from the first ODI in Cardiff

|

UPDATED:

09:26 GMT, 24 August 2012

DM.has('rcp',”twitterCombined”,
feeds : 'the_topspin,stuartbroad8',
tweetCount : 4
);

Cricket Twitter Feed

Twitter Avatar

Loading tweets…

Feeds provided by Twitter

England face South Africa in the first one-day international after losing the three-match Test series and their world No 1 ranking to the Proteas.

Warwickshire's Chris Woakes was recalled to the side in place of the rested Stuart Broad in Cardiff.

With Broad given the series off Woakes edged out all-rounder Samit Patel and fellow seamer Jade Dernbach for a place in Alastair Cook's starting XI.

Woakes, 23, last featured for England on August 25 last year against Ireland but has enjoyed an impressive county season with bat and ball.

South Africa made sweeping changes to the side which won the Test series 2-0, with lead seamer Dale Steyn not selected and a handful of limited-overs specialists, including Dean Elgar, Robin Petersen, Wayne Parnell, Ryan McLaren and Lonwabo Tsotsobe all included.

Proteas skipper AB de Villiers won the toss and elected to field.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE LIVE SCORECARD
Ready for battle: Alastair Cook (left) and South Africa captain AB de Villiers

Ready for battle: Alastair Cook (left) and South Africa captain AB de Villiers

Chelsea"s Yossi Benayoun and Gael Kakuta Olympiakos targets

Olympiakos want to take Benayoun and Kakuta off of Chelsea's hands

|

UPDATED:

10:49 GMT, 24 August 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Olympiakos want to sign Chelsea fringe players Yossi Benayoun and Gael Kakuta with cash they raised from selling Kevin Mirallis to Everton.

But the Greek side face a tough task convincing the duo to move to Piraeus.

Benayoun could net an attractive two-year deal worth 30,000 a week after tax, but he is reportedly discussing with his wife about whether to uproot their family from London.

On the move: Yossi Benayoun is likely to leave Chelsea

On the move: Yossi Benayoun is likely to leave Chelsea

The 32-year-old Israel midfielder seems surplus to requirements at Stamford Bridge and spent last season on loan at Arsenal. Fulham could be an alternative destination.

Chelsea pulled out the stops to sign Kakuta from Lens in a controversial deal five years ago, but he has grown frustrated at his lack of first-team football.

Few chances: Gael Kakuta (left) has not broken through

Few chances: Gael Kakuta (left) has not broken through

However, Marseille are also very keen on the 21-year-old winger and have funds after selling Cesar Azpilicueta to Chelsea for 7million.

Lyon are also interested and Kakuta may ultimately favour a return to France if an agreement can be reached.

Olympiakos are determined to remodel their midfield after receiving 6m for Mirallis.