Tag Archives: euro

Mario Balotelli donated his wages to charity before David Beckham started

Beckham may be about to donate his PSG wages to charity, but Balotelli started doing the same thing a while ago…

, when he and Brown became an item, and when his fame grew even further.

One particular celebration now known as the “Hulk pose” went viral on the internet – something Brown says Balotelli truly revelled in while revealing he also used his fame to avoid a speeding fine when in Manchester.

'Mario googled himself obsessively to see how popular he was,' Brown said.

Settling in: Milan hope Balotelli can become a key member of their new-look side

Settling in: Milan hope Balotelli can become a key member of their new-look side

'He loved the web craze where people were photo-shopping the “Hulk” pose he did after scoring for Italy in the semi-final [of Euro 2012] and was beside himself when it made it on to Fifa 13.

'We were out in his Bentley once and he got stopped for speeding. But the policeman's face lit up when he saw it was Mario and let him off in return for an autograph!'

VIDEO Balotelli happy to be training with AC Milan

Play Video

Loading video…

DM.has('rcpv36051','BC',
'renderConfig' :

'css' : “videoplayer-large”,
'autoplay' : false,
'muted' : false,
'adUrl' : “http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/adssz=8×8&iu=%2F7023%2Fdm.video%2Fdm_video_sport&ciu_szs=&impl=s&gdfp_req=1&env=vp&output=xml_vast2&unviewed_position_start=1&url=[referrer_url]&correlator=[timestamp]”,
'playerId' : “1989148206001”,
'playerKey' : “AQ~~,AAAAAFSL1bg~,CmS1EFtcMWELN_eSE9A7gpcGWF5XAVmI”,
'objId' : “rcpv36051”,
'videoPlayer' : “2132581490001”,
'width' : 636,
'height' : 358,
'linkBaseURL' : “http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2271865/Mario-Balotelli-donated-wages-charity-David-Beckham-started.html”

});

Gary Neville backed by Sky and FA after Richard Keys attack

FA and Sky back Neville after former host Keys accuses pundit of having an agenda

” class=”blkBorder” />

England expects: Neville is part of Roy Hodgson's staff, and was at Euro 2012

He faced criticism yesterday from England goalkeeping legend Gordon Banks, who said: 'I was very upset to hear Gary Neville talking about how the players were disgusted with him (De Gea), how they were looking at him after he hadn't punched the ball quite clear. I thought, “Hang on a minute, everybody makes mistakes in matches”.

'I found it a bit strange that he (Neville) was saying they'd go back in the dressing room and give De Gea a telling-off.'

Mario Balotelli bleaches hair blond

Who's this blond bombshell Balotelli goes for a striking new look as he seeks City return

with a hint of blond ” class=”blkBorder” />

Italian job: Balotelli played through Euro 2012 with a hint of blond

Looking sharHair today, gone tomorrow: Balotelli before the bleach blond stylep: Balotelli before the bleach blond style

Hair today, gone tomorrow: Balotelli before the bleach blond style

Richard Dunne is set to make the transfer from Aston Villa to New York Red Bulls

Dunne deal! New York Red Bulls hoping to wrap up signing of Villa defender

|

UPDATED:

10:35 GMT, 30 December 2012

Richard Dunne looks set to join New York Red Bulls in the new year, provided he can overcome his ongoing groin injury.

The MLS side have said that they want the Republic of Ireland international’s transfer from Aston Villa wrapped up by the end of January, report the Sunday People.

Dunne has been out of action for Ireland since their last Euro 2012 game against Italy, and underwent a third operation on his groin in Philadelphia last week.

Richard Dunne is set to move to New York Red Bulls

Free transfer: There is a 50,000-a-week salary on offer when the defender's contract with Aston Villa expires

Richard Dunne is set to move to New York Red Bulls

Injured: The 33-year-old underwent a third operation on his groin last week

It is thought he will be back to full fitness within six weeks and will rejoin Ireland as they face Sweden and Austria in March.

With a 50,000-a-week salary on offer, the Villa defender is keen to cross the Atlantic and settle in the Big Apple.

His contract with Villa Park set to
expire and the 33-year-old will be available to the American club on a
free transfer, meaning the deal could be nailed down within two weeks.

Scott Parker starts coaching badges at Tottenham

Parker coach route as crocked Tottenham star eyes life in management after playing days

|

UPDATED:

21:32 GMT, 22 October 2012

Great Scott: Parker has started his coaching badges

Great Scott: Parker has started his coaching badges

Scott Parker is preparing for a career in management after starting his coaching badges at Tottenham.

The Spurs midfielder, who has not played for the club this season, has been taking training sessions with reserve and youth teams in the past few weeks.

Parker, 32 earlier this month, has been working with some of Tottenham's development players as he recovers from injury.

The England midfielder has not played a competitive game since the national team's penalty shoot-out defeat against Italy at Euro 2012.

Parker has been suffering with an achilles injury and Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas revealed last week that he will not return until Christmas.

He signed a four-year contract when he joined the White Hart Lane club from West Ham at the start of last season.

Tottenham blow as Scott Parker ruled out until Christmas

Blow for Spurs as Parker to stay on the sidelines until Christmas

|

UPDATED:

00:24 GMT, 19 October 2012

Tottenham boss Andre Villas-Boas has revealed that injured midfielder Scott Parker has been ruled out until Christmas.

Parker, 32, who has been nursing an achilles injury since the summer when he returned exhausted from England’s Euro 2012 campaign, has been unable to play for Tottenham this season, having been a key player under Harry Redknapp.

Still missing: Parker in action for Spurs against Everton last season

Still missing: Parker in action for Spurs against Everton last season

Villas-Boas, who is preparing for the visit of Chelsea on Saturday, said: 'It’s difficult for him as he still feels pain and is still disturbed in his recovery. It prevents him from being on the pitch but he has been in the gym and with the medical department.

'We are looking at Christmas. It is still within the limits of what we expected. He is making good progress and there has been less pain.’

Villas-Boas faces a big this weekend against the club he managed until being sacked last March.

Another big test: Andre Villas-Boas watches Tottenham's match against Aston Villa earlier this month

Another big test: Andre Villas-Boas watches Tottenham's match against Aston Villa earlier this month

Michael Owen back at Liverpool – Mersey Beat

Owen ready for another uncomfortable afternoon
back at Liverpool

|

UPDATED:

15:16 GMT, 5 October 2012

They will give him a generous ovation on Sunday. As is usually the case when a former player’s name is read out, the Kop will clap, sing his old song and recognise the service he gave.

Given he appeared in a European final, played a crucial role in helping Liverpool win an FA Cup and lead the line with distinction, becoming a crowd favourite in the process, it is only right that the Kop will look to acknowledge Peter Crouch when sets foot on Anfield’s turf once more.

This way to Anfield: Michael Owen can expect a lukewarm reception

This way to Anfield: Michael Owen can expect a lukewarm reception

More from Dominic King…

Mersey Beat: Everton have blown glorious opportunity to win silverware with Leeds defeat
28/09/12

Mersey Beat: The lure of the English Clasico
21/09/12

Mersey Beat: Legends like Rush, Fowler, Hunt, Liddell… but now there's no Liverpool No 9
07/09/12

Mersey Beat: Has the first major shift in power since 1937 happened on Merseyside
24/08/12

Mersey Beat: Rodgers can talk the talk… now he must deliver results at Liverpool
18/08/12

Mersey Beat: Carroll would never have imagined this after strong Euro 2012
20/07/12

Mersey Beat: All change at Liverpool but Shankly tradition must remain
18/05/12

Mersey Beat: Andy Carroll from zero to hero – times have changed for Liverpool No 9
11/05/12

VIEW FULL ARCHIVE

What happens when Michael Owen does something similar, however, will be completely different.

He did all the things Crouch did for Liverpool and more but, for him, the best scenario for which he can hope is muted applause.

It is nothing new, of course. Owen has been back to play at Anfield on several occasions since he left for Real Madrid in 2004 for both Newcastle United and Manchester United – he even pulled on a Red shirt during Jamie Carragher’s testimonial in September 2010.

Each time he return, though, it sharpens the focus of what could and should have been but now never will be. Owen, remember, was one of the greatest goalscorers of his generation. In 2001, he won the FA Cup final almost single-handedly and was named European Footballer of the Year.

During one of the many transitional periods Liverpool have endured in the past two decades, Owen’s emergence was genuinely thrilling and whenever the club had a big game, he could be relied upon to come up with the goods.

With a tally of 158 goals in 297 appearances, Owen, by rights, should receive the warmest of welcomes whenever he comes back to the place that was once his home but now all he can expect is indifference and ambivalence.

Golden boy: Owen started his career at Liverpool and was once a hero

Golden boy: Owen started his career at Liverpool and was once a hero

Now this is not a sob story on Owen’s
behalf. Far from it. There are reasons – plenty of them valid – as to
why the Kop have lost their rapport with the former England
international and sympathy is not something he will ever get at Anfield.

Owen, after all, is accountable for the decisions he made.

For starters, there was the manner in which he left in 2004. Having indicated that he was ready to sign a new contract, he sat out Rafael Benitez’s first game against AK Graz in the Champions League and within days had signed for Madrid.

Then, when presented with the chance to re-sign for Liverpool 12 months later, he chose to join Newcastle instead at the last minute. When he headed back to Anfield that Christmas for a Premier League game, he was the subject of chants of, among others things, 'Where were you in Istanbul'

‘I could see the deflation in his eyes and recognised how hurt he was,’ Carragher wrote in his autobiography about the incident. ‘To see a player who had played his heart out for us on the end of a reception so untypical of those that former Anfield heroes usually get was depressing.

‘Over the years I’ve seen players who didn’t contribute half as much as Michael, and some who were only here for a season or two, be welcomed back as if they had played 500 games and won dozen of trophies. It made no sense.’

Of course, any hope that bridges would have been rebuilt were extinguished when Owen went to Manchester United in 2009 but, given he was without a club at that time, it was hardly an offer he could refuse, particularly as Liverpool showed no interest then to bring him back.

There was talk about Owen being drafted back to Liverpool as an emergency measure last month but it lacked substance. Brendan Rodgers has a vision in mind and it does not include signing a 32-year-old who has not started a Premier League game for two years and three days.

Tony Pulis, though, has an idea in mind for Owen and the Potteries are where he will see out his playing days. But what happens then

Will Owen ever return to Anfield and watch a game from the stands Will he be welcomed back, say, if a reunion takes place for the treble winners of 2001

To look at everything Owen achieved for Liverpool, those questions should not be asked. That they are tells you everything about a sad situation.

John Terry quits England ahead of FA racism hearing

Terry quits England! Former captain accuses FA of making his position 'untenable' ahead of racism hearing

|

UPDATED:

20:25 GMT, 23 September 2012

John Terry has retired from international football with immediate effect.

The Chelsea defender's FA hearing for allegedly racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand takes place on Monday but – as exclusively revealed by Sportsmail – Terry has pre-empted the verdict by calling time on his 78-cap England career.

In a statement released on Sunday night Terry accused the FA of making his position 'untenable'.

Flashpoint: The John Terry and Anton Ferdinand racism case is due to reach its conclusion this week

Flashpoint: The John Terry and Anton Ferdinand racism case is due to reach its conclusion this week

'I am today announcing my retirement from international football,' the statement read.

'I would like to thank the England managers who have selected me for my 78 caps.

'I have had great pleasure in sharing that honour with all the players that I've played with.

'I would like to thank them, the fans and my family for their support and encouragement during my international career.

'Untenable': Terry criticised the FA in a statement

'Untenable': Terry criticised the FA in a statement

'Untenable': Terry criticised the FA in a statement

'Representing and captaining my country is what I dreamed of as a boy and it has been a truly great honour.

'I have always given my all and it breaks my heart to make this decision.

'I want to wish Roy [Hodgson] and the team every success for the future.

'I am making this statement today in
advance of the hearing of the FA disciplinary charge because I feel the
FA, in pursuing charges against me where I have already been cleared in a
court of law, have made my position with the national team untenable.

Busy summer: Terry attends his court case (above) a month on from playing for England at Euro 2012 (below)

Busy summer: Terry attends his court case (above) a month on from playing for England at Euro 2012 (below)

Busy summer: Terry attends his court case (above) a month on from playing for England at Euro 2012 (below)

'I now look forward to playing for
Chelsea FC, and challenging for domestic and European honours, and I
want to thank the fans and the club for their continued support.'

Terry made his England debut back in 2003 and was twice stripped of the captaincy for off-field reasons.

The
31-year-old's decision leaves England manager Roy Hodgson with a
selection headache heading into next month's World Cup qualifiers against San Marino and Poland.

Snub: Ferdinand refuses to shake Terry's hand in the recent meeting between Chelsea and QPR

Snub: Ferdinand refuses to shake Terry's hand in the recent meeting between Chelsea and QPR

JOHN TERRY FACTFILE

1980: December 7 – born in London.

1998: October 28 – Makes Chelsea debut against Aston Villa.

2001: September – One of four players fined two weeks' wages by Chelsea after their behaviour at a Heathrow hotel is criticised on the day after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

2002: Terry and Chelsea team-mate Jody Morris are cleared after being charged with assault and affray in connection with a nightclub incident. Terry, uncapped at the time, is ruled out of the World Cup after the Football Association decide he should not be considered for international duty with England until the legal case is completed.

2003: June 3 – Makes England debut as substitute against Serbia and Montenegro.

2006: August 10 – Chosen to replace David Beckham as England captain by head coach Steve McClaren.

2008: August 19 – Named as permanent captain of England by Fabio Capello.

2009: December 20 – Chelsea defend Terry after allegations he took secret cash payments to lay on a behind-the-scenes tour of the club's training ground.

2010: January 29: Named as the sportsman behind a gagging injunction involving his private life. A court order had previously been in place, covering an alleged relationship between married Terry and French model Vanessa Perroncel – a former partner of team-mate Wayne Bridge.

February 5 – Axed as England captain following a meeting with Capello.

2011: March 19 – Restored to the role of permanent England captain by Capello.

October 23 – Releases a statement denying he made a racist slur against Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's defeat at QPR after videos had circulated on the internet.

December 21 – The Crown Prosecution Service announce Terry will be charged with racially abusing Ferdinand and is due to appear before West London Magistrates' Court on February 1, 2012.

2012: February 3 – Terry is stripped of the England captaincy for a second time. The decision was taken by members of the 14-strong FA board, without consulting Capello.

February 8 – Capello resigns as England manager two days after criticising the decision to strip Terry of the captaincy.

July 13 – Cleared at Westminster Magistrates' Court of making a racist insult to Anton Ferdinand during Chelsea's match against QPR in October last year.

July 27 – Charged by the FA with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behaviour towards QPR defender Ferdinand. It is further alleged that this included a reference to the ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race of Ferdinand. Terry denies the charge and requests a personal hearing.

September 23 – Announces his retirement from international football, shortly before the start of his personal hearing to answer the FA charge.

Manchester United told to pay 16m for Torino"s Angelo Ogbonna

Torino tell United they will have to pay 16m to land Italy defender Ogbonna

|

UPDATED:

05:42 GMT, 20 September 2012

Manchester United have been told they will have to pay 16million if they want to land Torino centre-back Angelo Ogbonna.

Talent: Torino say they want 16m for Angelo Ogbonna

Talent: Torino say they want 16m for Angelo Ogbonna

Sir Alex Ferguson has been tracking
Ogbonna since the start of the Italian season and United scouts have
been running regular checks on the defender.

Torino’s sporting director Gianluca
Petrachi said: 'I guarantee there are observers of many foreign clubs
who follow our games, including United’s scouts.

'Most of the time they come just to see Ogbonna because he is a player who has great potential.

'Last year we refused 10m for him but it is clear he is worth more than 16m.

'Angelo has the desire to do better but I believe he should continue to grow with Torino.'

Ogbonna, 24, was part of Italy’s Euro 2012 squad after helping Torino storm to promotion.

Yohan Cabaye happy at Newcastle despite Barcelona and Manchester Utd interest

Cabaye committed to Newcastle despite Barcelona and Man United interest

|

UPDATED:

23:01 GMT, 16 September 2012

Newcastle midfielder Yohan Cabaye has dismissed claims he is unhappy on Tyneside.

The France international was linked with moves to Barcelona, Manchester United and Arsenal during the transfer window but Newcastle fought hard to keep him, Cheick Tiote and injured pair Tim Krul and Fabricio Coloccini.

Happy in Toon: Yohan Cabaye (C) playing for France in midweek

Happy in Toon: Yohan Cabaye (C) playing for France in midweek

Cabaye, who was sensational in his
first season, said his slow start to this campaign is down to his
fatigue after an outstanding Euro 2012 with France.

He said: 'I'm very happy here, I've
never thought any different, and I'm very happy to play for Newcastle.

'It has been difficult for me so far this season, I don’t want to make
excuses, but I’m getting back to full fitness.'