Tag Archives: enquiry

Arsene Wenger is preparing a bid for Edinson Cavani

Wenger admits Arsenal could drop Cavani move after being quoted staggering 91m

By
Sami Mokbel

PUBLISHED:

12:39 GMT, 17 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

08:10 GMT, 18 January 2013

Arsene Wenger has admitted his admiration for Edinson Cavani – but the Arsenal manager would be forced to shatter the club’s financial structure to sign the striker.

The total cost of landing the Napoli hitman could amount to a staggering 91million.

Speaking at the club’s London Colney HQ, Wenger admitted: ‘He is a player I like. He would cost a lot of money that’s for sure.

Main man: Napoli's Edinson Cavani is wanted by a host of top clubs

Main man: Napoli's Edinson Cavani is wanted by a host of top clubs

‘We can spend the money but I do not want to speak about Cavani because we have not made an enquiry for him.’

The Frenchman was asked the question amid fresh speculation linking the Gunners with the Uruguay international.

Wenger is fan of the forward but knows he’d have to stretch the club’s financial boundaries to land Cavani.

In addition to the 25-year-old has a 52million release clause, he would demand a five-year deal worth a minimum of 150,000-per-week.

Show me the money: Arsene Wenger is ready to spend big again at Arsenal

Show me the money: Arsene Wenger is ready to spend big again at Arsenal

Lukas Podolski is Arsenal’s current top earner on 90,000-per-week, while the capture of Andrey Arshavin from Zenit St Petersburg for 15million remains their record signing.

Mega-rich Chelsea pulled their interest in Cavani over the summer due to the mammoth cost of bringing him to Stamford Bridge.

And whether Arsenal are prepared to smash their financial records to bring Cavani to London remains to be seen.

Red hot: Cavani has 23 goals in 22 games in all competitions this season

Red hot: Cavani has 23 goals in 22 games in all competitions this season

Joao Moutinho watched by Tottenham boss Andre-Villas Boas

Tottenham ready to move for Moutinho as AVB runs rule over Porto midfielder

|

UPDATED:

08:12 GMT, 6 December 2012

Interest: AVB watched Moutinho play against PSG

Interest: AVB watched Moutinho play against PSG

Tottenham are poised to renew their interest in Porto midfielder Joao Moutinho.

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas travelled to France to watch the 24million-rated star play for Porto in their 2-1 defeat at Paris-Saint Germain on Tuesday.

Spurs failed to complete a club-record bid for the Portugal international during the summer but are poised to re-open negotiations when the transfer window opens next month, according to The Mirror.

'Whenever Porto are close to the place where I am, I go see them,' said Villas-Boas of his former club.

'I went to see them last season against Manchester City and took the opportunity to go and see them again against PSG.'

Meanwhile, the Spurs boss insists he isn't about to offload goalkeeper Brad Friedel despite interest from Blackburn.

Villas-Boas is poised to recall the American for tonight's Europa League decider against Panathinaikos.

French fancy: Lloris has started the last five games fro Tottenham

French fancy: Lloris has started the last five games fro Tottenham

Hugo Lloris has started Tottenham's last five games after ousting Friedel from the first team, but the 41-year-old will have a chance to win back his spot on a permanent basis tonight when he lines up against the Greek side.

Friedel's future at White Hart Lane has been in doubt since Tottenham rebuffed an enquiry from his former club Blackburn last month.

And should the Lancashire club bid for the player again in January, Villas-Boas says he will adopt the same stance.

'I don't know anything about (Blackburn's bid). We are trying to hold on to our best assets and Brad is certainly one of them,' the Tottenham manager said.

'Brad has been excellent, I spoke to him and he has been such an important player for us.

'Rotation has not been because of performances. Both goalkeepers' performances have been excellent. It gives me the ability at any time to throw a different keeper into the game.

'Hugo will not be involved in (the Panathinaikos) game.'

Clint Dempsey settling in to Rafael van der Vaart role

'Frustrated' Dempsey finally ready to fill void left by Van der Vaart at Tottenham

|

UPDATED:

17:02 GMT, 26 November 2012

Tottenham forward Clint Dempsey thinks he is finally ready to fill the giant void left by Rafael van der Vaart’s departure.

Van der Vaart scored 28 goals and provided many more assists during a two-year spell at White Hart Lane before he returned to Hamburg this summer.

Andre Villas-Boas signed Dempsey to fill the No 10 role Van der Vaart performed so well in even though the American was used to operating off the left flank.

Frustrated: Clint Dempsey (left) believes he is doing a better job at Tottenham now

Frustrated: Clint Dempsey (left) believes he is doing a better job at Tottenham now

Dempsey scored a whopping 23 goals from Fulham last season, but he struggled initially to settle in to the more central role required of him at Spurs this season.

Dempsey has scored only twice in Tottenham colours, but he combined well with Jermain Defoe against West Ham yesterday, and the 29-year-old thinks he is finally becoming accustomed to his new position.

'I’ve been frustrated with not getting on the ball, being in the game or affecting games, but I think I’m now starting to do a better job,' Dempsey said after the 3-1 win.

'I thought I was good against West Ham. I was able to get a little bit more on the angle, be able to drive with the ball a bit more, take more shots and create chances for other people.

'It was good to play a part in two of the goals and I was unlucky to hit the post but I enjoyed the game.'

Part of Dempsey’s initial struggle to fit in to the Tottenham team can be put down to what was a tumultuous summer for the 29-year-old.

Dempsey thought he would secure a dream move to Liverpool that he had hankered for all summer when Brendan Rodgers made an enquiry for the forward, but the Merseysiders failed to follow it up with a bid.

Instrumental: Dempsey set up Gareth Bale's goal in the 3-1 victory over West Ham

Instrumental: Dempsey set up Gareth Bale's goal in the 3-1 victory over West Ham

Martin Jol left Dempsey out of his Fulham squad at the start of the season before Tottenham ended the forward’s nightmare summer by meeting the 6million asking price that Liverpool were unwilling to match.

'It was a difficult August for me. I didn’t have a pre-season with Tottenham or anybody, so I’m trying to play catch-up a little bit and trying to adjust to this team and the style they play,” said Dempsey, who supplied Gareth Bale for Tottenham’s second with a clever chip pass.

Playing catch-up: Dempsey signed for Tottenham on transfer deadline day

Playing catch-up: Dempsey signed for Tottenham on transfer deadline day

'I’ve been looking at videos and trying to figure out a way to make an impact and help the team.

'I’m traditionally used to playing in a 4-4-2 where I’m the guy on the left but I’m not an out-and-out winger.

'I come inside and I’m more like an attacking inside-left, so being more central is good, but it’s about getting on the ball and making the right movements, and I’m starting to do a better job in that respect.'

Roma open to offers for Daniele de Rossi

Champions City on alert after Roma admit they'll listen to offers for captain De Rossi

|

UPDATED:

14:36 GMT, 5 November 2012

Manchester City have been encouraged to make a fresh bid for Roma captain Daniele de Rossi.

The Italian international has long been a target for Roberto Mancini, and the English champions spent much of the summer attempting to lure the 29-year-old from his hometown club.

City tabled a 30million bid for the versatile midfielder but were unable to convince the player his future lay away from the Italian capital.

Open to offers: Roma could sell captain Daniele De Rossi come January

Open to offers: Roma could sell captain Daniele De Rossi come January

Open to offers: Roma could sell captain Daniele De Rossi come January

The move tempted De Rossi into a public declaration of love for Roma, the team he has represented with distinction for more than a decade.

'I'm staying,' De Rossi said in August. 'I never asked to leave. One club, the one you all know, made an enquiry. One or two others too, but that was just talk.

'What I can promise everyone is that the day I want to leave Roma — whether it is to win the Champions League or make more money — I will say so in public.'

But now it appears that decision has been taken out of his hands, with club general manager Franco Baldini admitting offers for the captain will be considered.

Fabio Capello's former right hand man, told Sky Italia: 'Should an offer arrive for him, we will consider it.

'In summer we heard an offer from Man City and because we listened to it, it means we took it in consideration. Then we decided to give up.

'Should another offer will arrive, we will listen again it, but we could also decide to give up on it again.'

De Rossi, who has more than four years left to run on his contract at Roma, has featured just six times under new manager Zdenek Zeman this season.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce tells Mark Noble to get real over wage demands

West Ham boss Allardyce tells Noble to get real over wage demands

|

UPDATED:

22:00 GMT, 13 September 2012

West Ham manager Sam Allardyce has warned Mark Noble the
club will not break the bank to sign him to a new contract.

Noble, who came through the Hammers' academy, is out of
contract at the end of the season and yet to sign an extension.

Uncertainty: Mark Noble is out of contract at the end of the season

Uncertainty: Mark Noble is out of contract at the end of the season

Fulham made an enquiry for the midfielder during the summer
transfer window but Noble remained at Upton Park.

And Allardyce – who confirmed John Mensah, Mikael Silvestre
and Anthony Vanden Borre are all on trial with West Ham – has told Noble to be
realistic in his wage demands.

'Talks have been ongoing since the end of the season and
they are continuing to try and negotiate a new contract here,' said Allardyce.

'I don't know the progress – that is not my department.
Until such time the chairman rings me and we have that deal, talks are ongoing
and we are hopeful they can be concluded as quickly as possible.

'The only reason he won't be here is if he asks for too
much.'

Fulham bid for Bafetimbi Gomis

Fulham go for Gomis after making 6.5m offer for Lyon ace

|

UPDATED:

22:46 GMT, 28 August 2012

Fulham have bid 6.5million for Lyon striker Bafetimbi Gomis but face competition from AC Milan.

Manager Martin Jol was keen on a deal for Genk's Christian Benteke until Aston Villa stepped in and has now bid for France centre forward Gomis.

Wanted: Fulham will hope to see off the challenge from AC Milan to land Gomis

Wanted: Fulham will hope to see off the challenge from AC Milan to land Gomis

The 27-year-old has been courted by Newcastle in the past and is keen on a move to England.

The main threat will be whether AC Milan follow up their enquiry with a bid.

The Italians have been searching for options to replace Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

Reports of a fresh loan bid for Liverpool's Andy Carroll were dismissed by the Anfield hierarchy.

Exit: Kieran Richardson (right) is set to join Fulham from Sunderland

Exit: Kieran Richardson (right) is set to join Fulham from Sunderland

Fulham are also closing on a 2m deal for Sunderland midfielder Kieran Richardson, who was left out of their Capital One Cup squad to face Morecambe.

His departure will cause Martin O'Neill to move for Tottenham utility man Danny Rose.

Hull boss Bruce hopes for reunion with Sunderland hot shot Campbell

Hull boss Bruce hopes for reunion with Sunderland hot shot Campbell

|

UPDATED:

21:45 GMT, 23 August 2012

Hull boss Steve Bruce has made an enquiry for Sunderland striker Fraizer Campbell.

The England striker, 24, has one year left on his contract and is available for around 3million.

He has also interested QPR, Fulham and Blackburn Rovers.

Meet up Steve Bruce wants Fraizer Campbell to come to Hull

Meet up Steve Bruce wants Fraizer Campbell to come to Hull

Manchester City still want Daniele De Rossi

De Rossi deal not dead yet, claim City despite Italian's desire to stay at Roma

|

UPDATED:

21:30 GMT, 21 August 2012

Manchester City have not abandoned hope of signing Daniele de Rossi despite the Italian international appearing to turn them down in very public fashion on Tuesday.

City’s difficult summer in the transfer market continued when long-standing target De Rossi said at a press conference that he didn’t want to leave Roma, even though last week he told City boss Roberto Mancini he was ready to leave Italy.

‘I’m staying,’ De Rossi said. ‘I never asked to leave. One club, the one you all know, made an enquiry. One or two others too, but that was just talk.

Scroll down to see Roma's tribute to star man Daniele De Rossi

Staying put: Daniele De Rossi claims he will remain at Roma

Staying put: Daniele De Rossi claims he will remain at Roma

Love affair: Roma fans held up a banner saying De Rossi was 'untouchable'

Love affair: Roma fans held up a banner saying De Rossi was 'untouchable'

One club man: De Rossi

One club man: De Rossi

‘What I can promise everyone is that the day I want to leave Roma — whether it is to win the Champions League or make more money — I will say so in public.’

Mancini has every reason to feel irritated with De Rossi. It was his initial interest in the player which prompted Roma to give the midfielder a lucrative new contract last January. But in the intervening months De Rossi continued to indicate privately that he would leave.

City still believe that if they can strike a deal with Roma, then De Rossi may be persuaded to leave without losing face. It would, however, take a huge U-turn from the player for this to happen.

Mancini has already lost out on several key targets this summer including Eden Hazard, who went to Chelsea, Robin van Persie, now at Manchester United, Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez and Liverpool’s Daniel Agger.

Mancini has called a truce with football administrator Brian Marwood, whom he blames for not sealing the Van Perise deal, but is still deeply frustrated that young midfielder Jack Rodwell is the club’s only summer signing.

The Italian still expects to sign Swansea winger Scott Sinclair, who is only being bought as a squad player, though, something that prompted Mancini to choose him over Arsenal’s Theo Walcott.

Mancini is a Walcott fan but suspected it would be too difficult to lure him without the guarantee of regular first-team football.

Daniele De Rossi will stay at Roma

Going nowhere! City snubbed as 30m man De Rossi says he's staying with Roma

|

UPDATED:

14:36 GMT, 21 August 2012

Daniele De Rossi has dashed Manchester City's hopes of a transfer after the midfielder re-affirmed his commitment to Roma.

The 29-year-old was linked with a move to the Barclays Premier League, with City boss Roberto Mancini a known admirer.

However, De Rossi does not want to leave his boyhood club, having been at the Stadio Olimpico since he began his professional career in 2001.

Scroll down to see Roma's tribute to star man Daniele De Rossi

Hands up who's not joining City: Italy international Daniele De Rossi won't leave Roma. It comes after fans held up a banner saying he was 'untouchable'

Hands up who's not joining City: Italy international Daniele De Rossi won't leave Roma. It comes after fans held up a banner saying he was 'untouchable'

Hands up who's not joining City: Italy international Daniele De Rossi has revealed he won't be leaving Roma this summer. It comes after fans held up a banner saying he was 'untouchable'

One club man: De Rossi

One club man: De Rossi

'I'm staying,' De Rossi said at a press conference. 'I never asked to leave.'

De Rossi signed a fresh five-year contract in February to quell speculation of a move but City have tested Roma's resolve with a substantial offer this summer.

'One club, the one you all know, made an enquiry. One or two others, but that was just talk,' added the Italy international.

'What I can promise everyone is that the day I want to leave Roma – whether it is to win the Champions League or make more money – I will say so in public.'

'This is a normal press conference for me, not the announcement of the Third World War. For me it's important to say my piece. I am here at Roma, I'm happy and never asked to leave.

'I don't know if club still want to sell me. Guessing they count on me since they gave me huge contract in February. Ask them.'

De Rossi has 79 Italy caps and has won the World Cup with his country in 2006.

New Roma coach Zdenek Zeman had previously expressed his belief that De Rossi would stay.

He said: 'I am convinced that De Rossi stays with us. He is very important for us and the club has not asked me anything about him. I think he will remain.’

'Has Mancini have ever called me Several times, even when I was at Pescara last year.'

Fulham want Steven N"Zonzi from Blackburn

Fulham renew interest in wantaway Blackburn midfielder Nzonzi

|

UPDATED:

21:55 GMT, 16 August 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Fulham have revived interest in Steven Nzonzi following an enquiry from Everton for the Blackburn midfielder.

The 23-year-old is no longer part of manager Steve Kean's plans having refused to play at the end of last season.

On the move Steven Nzonzi (right) is wanted by Fulham and Everton

On the move Steven Nzonzi (right) is wanted by Fulham and Everton

Sevilla and Stoke enquired about taking him on loan but he was reluctant to join them while Sunderland dropped interest.

Hull meanwhile have held talks with former Bolton midfielder Nigel Reo-Coker who has attracted interest from Fulham.