Tag Archives: controlling

David Beckham in talks over MLS ownership

Beckham in talks over MLS ownership

|

UPDATED:

22:50 GMT, 15 December 2012

David Beckham is in talks to become
the owner of a Major League Soccer club in the United States and is
expected to buy a controlling interest in a team based in New York,
Miami or Los Angeles.

But contrary to reports from the US
that Beckham will be part of deal involving Manchester City buying an
MLS franchise in New York, sources close to the former England captain
told Inside Sport: 'That's not really a partnership he'd envisage.'

Talks: David Beckham

Talks: David Beckham

Beckham, 37, is a lifelong Manchester United fan who played for the Old Trafford club for 10 years before moving to Real Madrid and then LA Galaxy. In his final match for Galaxy earlier this month, he helped them to win the MLS Cup. He is considering his next move and may play for one last club for a short period before turning his attention to club ownership in the US.

Sources say Beckham is likely to buy a controlling stake in an MLS team in partnership with Simon Fuller, the entertainment entrepreneur whose company, XIX Entertainment, represents Beckham.

City have denied reports that owner Sheik Mansour is close to sealing a $100million deal to buy a New York-based MLS 'partner club' for City in Queens, east of Manhattan.'Manchester City are not buying an MLS club,' said a statement.

The idea that City might explore buying overseas clubs or working in partnership with them is far from fanciful. Two years ago, the club's then chief executive, Garry Cook, held 'very preliminary discussions' with MLS commissioner Don Garber over a possible tie-up that could fit into City's 'international expansion'.

Cook's replacement, Ferran Soriano, formerly with Barcelona, previously held talks with the MLS about a Barcelona-owned MLS club, and has written supportively about big clubs having 'franchise' partners in other leagues.

Ticket touts were prevented from making a killing on the summer's Olympics after a major police clampdown but they are having a last hurrah for 2012 by reselling seats for tonight's BBC Sports Personality of the Year show at up to 10 times face value.

The BBC sold around 13,000 tickets to members of the public at 50 each for the glitzy bash at ExCel in east London, where Bradley Wiggins is hot favourite to pick up the main award.

A BBC spokeswoman said that ticket terms and conditions prohibited reselling. But it is not illegal to resell tickets for such events.

Ticket brokers on Seatwave, Viagogo and eBay were among those advertising tickets at massively inflated prices.

At Seatwave, a pair of tickets worth 100 at face value were being offered for a total 1,197.65, including a 179.64 booking fee, 4.94 handling charge and 15.06 insurance.

Viagogo had tickets for 240 each plus 72 booking fee per pair plus 4.95 shipping, while eBay had a variety of seats from 180 each.

The future of the New York Marathon – the world's largest – is uncertain after entry registration for the 2013 event, due to open on Wednesday, was indefinitely suspended. This came as race organisers continue talks with insurers over the circumstances in which the 2012 event was called off in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

The race was cancelled not because it was impossible to stage but because it was deemed inappropriate. This may affect any insurance payout and, with entrants claiming refunds, the organisers' ability to plan for next year has been severely hit.

Tiger Woods hopes long putters are banned

Long putters should be banned, says Woods as golf awaits outcome of ruling bodies

|

UPDATED:

10:20 GMT, 28 November 2012

Tiger Woods was hoping to hear on Wednesday that the way long putters are anchored to the body is going to be outlawed.

An announcement is expected at a teleconference being held by the Royal and Ancient Club and United States Golf Association, golf's two ruling bodies.

It is widely thought that from 2016 there will be no fixing of putters to a pivot point, whether it is the belly, chin or chest.

Keegan Bradley

Webb Simpson

Putt: Bradley and Simpson are among the last five major winners

Three of the sport's last five major winners – Keegan Bradley, Webb Simpson and Ernie Els – have used long putters in such a way.

Woods, in California this week for his final event of 2012, said: 'I was just asked my own opinion and that was it.

'I don't know if it carried any weight or not, but I just believe that the art of putting is swinging the club and controlling nerves.

'Having it as a fixed point, as I was saying all year, is something that's not in the traditions of the game.

No tradition: Woods wants long putters outlawed from the game

No tradition: Woods wants long putters outlawed from the game

Phil Duncan F1 blog

'We swing all 13 other clubs. I think the putter should be the same. It should be a swinging motion throughout the entire bag.

'I don't know if there's any statistical data on it, but I'm sure there is somewhere about whether or not anchoring the putter does help on a certain range of putts, especially the guys who have gotten the twitches a little bit.

'One of the things that I was concerned about going forward is the kids who get started in the game and starting to putt with an anchoring system.

'There have been some guys who have had success out here and obviously everyone always copies what we do. That's something that I think for the greater good of the game needs to be adjusted.'

Woods, the defending champion in the World Challenge at Sherwood Country Club, also said he was ruling out European Tour membership next season.

The possibility was there for him to meet the criteria after it was decided to include the Presidents Cup and Ryder Cup in the 13-event minimum, but

Woods stated: 'I certainly understand the ruling and that's nice, but no.

'It's a bit much for me still. Certainly I've had opportunities over the years – I was very close a couple of times and could have taken membership up and played it.

'I enjoy playing around the world and I still always will, but I am going to play this (PGA) Tour.'

If there had been no minimum requirement Woods would have been the European circuit's leading money-winner six times between 1999 and 2007, but he added: 'It wasn't important to me.

'It just wasn't important to me. My main concern was winning major championships – I've won 14 of them and I'm very proud of that.'

Frank Warren writes to Boxing Board for clarity over potential ban for promoting Haye v Chisora

Warren seeks clarity from British Board over Haye-Chisora ban threat

|

UPDATED:

15:38 GMT, 12 May 2012

Frank Warren has written to boxing bosses seeking clarity over any possible consequences of his role in the forthcoming fight between Dereck Chisora and David Haye.

The British Boxing Board of Control have claimed that any licence holder involved in the bout – including the promoter, managers, seconds and other fighters – will be deemed to have broken the terms of their membership and be immediately stripped of it.

Their stance is because of the controversial background to the July 14 fight.

Seeking clarification: Promoter Frank Warren has written to the BBBC

Seeking clarification: Promoter Frank Warren has written to the BBBC

Chisora has his licence withdrawn following an out-of-the-ring brawl with Haye in Munich in February, and with Haye technically retired and without a licence, both men went to the Luxembourg Boxing Federation to be sanctioned to fight.

As Chisora's manager, Warren would fall into the category of those who could be punished by the BBBofC, so he has contacted their general secretary, Robert Smith, to challenge their stance.

He has offered a number of reasons why he believes the validity of the fight or his role in it should not be called into question, and in his letter says: 'I require written confirmation that you will not seek to take away my licence if I remain Dereck Chisora`s manager.'

He goes on to add: 'I write to make two complaints.

Summer showdown: David Haye and Dereck Chisora at the Upton Park press conference

Summer showdown: David Haye and Dereck Chisora at the Upton Park press conference

'The first is there are no substantive grounds to revoke my licence and the second is that you have not properly complied with any procedural requirements.

'Under rule 4.12 of your own Rules and Regulations, as a licence holder I can participate (a) in or be at a promotion which is licensed by the BBBofC; or (b) in or at a Promotion organised by a Federation, Commission, Association or Controlling Authority affiliated to, or recognised by the BBBofC.

'The Federation Luxembourgoise De Boxe is a Federation affiliated to and recognised by the Board. Both are affiliated to the EBU (European Boxing Union). As that Federation is sanctioning the Haye v Chisora fight, my participation is not a breach of your rules.'

Controversial: David Haye

Controversial: Dereck Chisora

Controversial: Neither David Haye or Dereck Chisora are licensed by the BBBC

Warren goes on to list a number of reasons why the fight will not be bringing boxing into disrepute, including:

'It cannot be because the fight is unlicensed, because it is licensed by a Federation older than the Board, affiliated to the EBU and which has the same medical provisions, testing, safety provisions and insurance as the Board.''It cannot be because David Haye is fighting and is not licensed by the Board. If this were the case, you would object to almost every fight taking place overseas. Indeed, I note that the Board has not complained that the WBA is bringing the sport into disrepute, despite that organisation licensing (Floyd) Mayweather's fight even though he has a conviction for domestic violence.”'It cannot be because Dereck Chisora is not licensed by the Board, for the reasons above. Also, if the Board did consider that Mr Chisora should not fight again, it would have banned him for life. Instead it withdrew his licence but invited him to apply for a licence with the Board or with another sanctioning body when he wished to do so.'

Warren went on to say: 'My concern is that by issuing the threat contained in your press release you are trying to stop me from being involved in a legitimate and lawful fight governed by another Federation and to interfere with my freedom to work and to earn a living.'

Brawl: Haye and Chisora clashed in the Munich press conference

Brawl: Haye and Chisora clashed in the Munich press conference

Chisora`s appeal against the stripping of his licence will be heard in July. He will have been out of the ring for six months since his points defeat to Vitali Klitschko in February.

Haye has not fought since his loss to Wladimir Klitschko last July. He retired in October and had initially said he would only return to the ring to fight one of the Ukrainian brothers.

But his press conference fight with Chisora following the latter's defeat to Vitali Klitschko, which saw punches thrown and a tripod wielded, sparked a new rivalry that has lured the 31-year-old back into the ring.

Ticket sales in the region of 20,000 have already been reported for Haye v Chisora.