Tag Archives: conroy

Rory McIlroy admits he was wrong to storm off at Honda Classic

It was the wrong thing to do, admits McIlroy after storming off at Honda Classic

By
Derek Lawrenson

PUBLISHED:

00:48 GMT, 5 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

01:16 GMT, 5 March 2013

Rory McIlroy had barely made it back to his new home ten miles away on Jupiter Island on that fateful Friday last week when he knew he had done the wrong thing.

As Jack Nicklaus so wisely opined, if only he had thought for five minutes, he wouldn't have done it.

In an interview with American magazine Sports Illustrated last night, McIlroy held up his hand and admitted it was a terrible mistake to walk off the course after eight completed holes of his second round at the Honda Classic.

Backtracking: Rory McIlroy is now saying he was wrong to walk off

Backtracking: Rory McIlroy is now saying he was wrong to walk off

Whatever has been said in the aftermath
during the storm that has become McIl-gate, 'I have probably said to
myself,' he commented.

'It was the wrong thing to do,' added
McIlroy, and with those seven words he did what he's always done on the
few occasions he has made mistakes, and taken full responsibility for
his actions.

World No 1: But the defending champion insisted he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play on

World No 1: But the defending champion insisted he wasn't in the right frame of mind to play on

'It was a reactive decision. What I
should have done is take my drop, chip it on, try to make a five and
play my hardest on the back nine, even if I shot 85,' he said.

'What I
did was not good for the tournament, and not good for the kids and fans
who were watching me.' Mcilroy said at the time he was 'not in a good
place mentally,' and then a statement was issued on his behalf an hour
later blaming a sore wisdom tooth.

Concerning: There had been no signs that McIlroy was about to withdraw

Concerning: There had been no signs that McIlroy was about to withdraw

The latter is an ongoing problem –
his Belfast dentist Mark Conroy has faxed a letter to the PGA Tour
describing the problem – but McIlroy admitted it can be treated with
painkillers and did not constitute the sort of injury that would be a
mitigating reason for walking in.

This, after all, is the man who played
on with a badly strained tendon in his wrist after damaging it while
playing from off a tree root at the 2011 USPGA Championship.

McIlroy will learn from this, like he
always does. He will learn that it is always best to come clean, and not
seek to pull the wool over people's eyes. Here's betting he never walks
off a course again.

Miserable: The Northern Irishman did not appear to be enjoying himself

Miserable: The Northern Irishman did not appear to be enjoying himself

McIlroy breaks four-day Twitter silence

For every complex problem, there is a simple solution. #FTB

Now it's time to work on those damn
swing issues that are far more infuriating than a bad tooth.

McIlroy admitted to suffering teething problems since his switch from Mike. 'The driver and the ball took some time to get used to, but I had weeks at Nike before the start of the year, and I feel comfortable with all the equipment,' he said. 'The problem is, I’m bringing the club too upright on the backswing then dropping it in too much on the downswing.'

The next
time he will be seen in public is tomorrow at Doral and the WGC-Cadillac
Championship.

Caught in the act McIlroy had been pictured eating a sandwich, despite later claiming a tooth ache

Caught in the act McIlroy had been pictured eating a sandwich, despite later claiming a tooth ache

Regret: He has since withdrawn that as an excuse

Regret: He has since withdrawn that as an excuse

Sone Aluko dive ban upheld

Aluko has two-game ban upheld over dive in Rangers 2-1 win over Dunfermline

Rangers winger Sone Aluko has had his two-match ban upheld by the Scottish Football Association, the club have confirmed.

The 22-year-old was found guilty of diving to win a penalty during Saturday’s 2-1 Clydesdale Bank Premier League win against Dunfermline.

The decision was made by the SFA’s fast-track tribunal at Hampden after Rangers rejected the offer of a fixed suspension when the player was issued with a notice of complaint.

Going down: Sone Aluko tumbles in the box against Dunfermline

Going down: Sone Aluko tumbles in the box against Dunfermline

Aluko will miss SPL matches against Hibernian and Inverness. The player had claimed contact had been made inthe challenge with Martin Hardie and that referee Steve Conroy made thecorrect decision to award the spot-kick.

Speaking after the game, he said: “I felt there was contact and I fell over. I’m not one that normally dives.I thought it was a penalty and obviously the ref did as well so you can’t really complain.

“The players around me didn’t really protest so I don’t see what the issue is.”

Dunfermline manager Jim McIntyre was also been issued with a notice of complaint by the SFA for comments he made about the referee in his post-match press conference.

The Pars boss claimed Conroy had “a nightmare” and branded the penalty award “a really, really poor decision”. His case will be heard on Thursday, December 22.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist reacted furiously to news of Aluko”s ban.

He told his club”s website: “I have to say that I am absolutely shocked and extremely angry at the fact this committee has upheld the decision to give Sone a two-game ban.

“The three gentlemen on the panel have effectively called my player a cheat and a liar, neither of which he is.

“It”s staggering, absolutely staggering and to say I”m angry would be a massive understatement.”