Tag Archives: commissioner

Emile Heskey"s Australian club Newcastle Jets issued winding-up order

Heskey's Australian adventure in jeopardy as Newcastle Jets issued with winding up order

|

UPDATED:

14:47 GMT, 14 December 2012


So soon Emile Heskey's time at the Newcastle Jets could be over

So soon Emile Heskey's time at the Newcastle Jets could be over

Emile Heskey faces an uncertain future after his Australian side the Newcastle Jets were issued with a winding-up order this week.

The Australian Taxation Office is chasing unpaid taxes of approximately 1.76million from Nathan Tinkler's Hunter Sports Group, which owns the Jets and NRL club the Newcastle Knights.

Heskey moved to the club in the summer which resulted in much fanfare, with many suggesting his move, and that of Alessandro del Piero to Sydney FC, would put the A-League on the map.

The former England international, 34, signed a one-year deal with the A-League club and has scored five goals in 11 appearances.

But federal court documents filed in Sydney on Wednesday revealed Australia's Deputy Commissioner of Taxation had applied for the winding-up order with a hearing date reportedly set for February 20.

In a statement on the Jets website they claimed the ATO would be paid in full before that date and that it remained 'business as usual'.

Despite that Football Federation Australia chief executive David Gallop has met with senior officials for Tinkler, a Singapore-based mining magnate, over the past two days to ensure the club's viability.

Happy days: Heskey was scoring at a decent rate in Australia but unforeseen circumstances could curtail his time there

Happy days: Heskey was scoring at a decent rate in Australia but unforeseen circumstances could curtail his time there

The Jets' tax bill is reportedly less than half of the total amount owing with Gallop hopeful a repayment schedule can be agreed.

'The FFA has been given assurances by Hunter Sports Group, owner and operator of the Newcastle Jets, that the club's operations will not be affected,' Gallop told The Australian.

It had been alleged some payment to the Knights players had been missed but members from the Jets, who suffered a fourth defeat in five games 3-0 at Perth Glory today, confirmed they have so far been paid in full.

Poster boys: Shinji Ono, Heskey, and Alessandro Del Piero

Poster boys: Shinji Ono, Heskey, and Alessandro Del Piero

'We've just got to go out there and do our best, and things will either work out or won't,' stand-in captain Ruben Zadkovich said.

'I don't think the Newcastle Jets are in any danger at the moment.'

Meanwhile Perth Glory owner Tony Sage has given up hope of luring David Beckham to Australia following a chance meeting with the former England captain in London this week.

Sage bumped into Beckham at the premier of the Spice Girls-inspired stage show 'Viva Forever' at London's O2 Arena and revealed he had been rebuffed when asked if a move Down Under was possible.

Viva Forever: David Beckham with his family at the launch of the musical based on the Spice Girls

Viva Forever: David Beckham with his family at the launch of the musical based on the Spice Girls

'I got the chance to chat to David, and of course I asked him about coming to Australia,' Sage, who was a guest of Spice Girl Mel B, told footballaustralia.com.au.

'He looked me in the eye and basically said, “That would be nice, but it's too far away from my businesses”.

'It would have been great to have him at Perth Glory, but it looks like that won't be happening. I just don't think he'll be coming to Australia, full stop.'

Triumphant days: Beckham enjoyed a successful time with LA Galaxy

Triumphant days: Beckham enjoyed a successful time with LA Galaxy

Beckham is looking for a new club after calling time on his five-year stay with the Los Angeles Galaxy last month.

Beckham's announcement came days after the Football Federation of Australia claimed it was in talks with the 37-year-old's representatives about the possibility of him signing a short-term deal to play in the A-League.

Despite those claims being almost immediately rubbished by Beckham and his agent, Sage and a number of Australian clubs had retained an interest in trying to sign the veteran midfielder.

NBA Christmas Day 2012 jerseys: Barclays Premier League won"t follow suit

NBA stock up with special Christmas Day kits (but don't worry, our Premier League clubs won't follow suit…)

|

UPDATED:

17:36 GMT, 30 November 2012

NBA teams will wear limited edition Christmas Day kits this year. But panicked parents in England must fear not – it isn't an idea ready to be embraced in the Barclays Premier League.

The NBA are certain to cash-in on the lucrative limited edition designs, which will be worn by all the major basketball teams on December 25.

However, Sportsmail understands it has never been on the agenda at Premier League HQ and such an idea for Boxing Day-only kits would have to be recommended and agreed to by the clubs.

Different ball game: NBA stars will wear special Christmas Day-only uniforms

Different ball game: NBA stars will wear special Christmas Day-only uniforms (below)

Different ball game: NBA stars will wear special Christmas Day-only uniforms

Premier League sides have their usual three kits approved in pre-season while officials granted special dispensation for them to wear the recent charitable Poppy kits (which clubs donated to raise funds for the Royal British Legion).

The NBA have explored the addition of one-off uniforms several times with previous themes including 'Latin Night', 'St Patrick's Day' and they will wear special training shirts for World Aids Day.

'The Christmas jerseys are fun,' said NBA commissioner David Stern, speaking exclusively to Sportsmail in New York.

'We're always doing throwback nights. We have Hispanic nights where the players' shirts will have 'Los Bulls' or 'Los Spurs' and sometimes we do a special uniform for some period of games. And so the idea for the Christmas Day jerseys came up and I was like, well let’s do it.

Standing firm: There are no plans to have Boxing Day-only kits in the Premier League

Standing firm: There are no plans to have Boxing Day-only kits in the Premier League

'The festive commercial we did, the cow of the bells isn't played actually because it is played by basketballs.

'These guys are bouncing basketballs and the idea was, let's do a limited number of Christmas Day uniforms (available at the NBA Europe store) and once they're sold out they are gone.

'It was like a kick of excitement. The commercial has over 5 million views within a week. That's crazy. I really do get a kick out of it.

'I wasn't really a big fan of all these changed uniforms. I came of age at a time when you looked at the TV set and you knew the Bulls were in red, the Celtics were in green, the Knicks were in blue, the Phoenix Suns had some orange configuration and the Lakers were the only ones who didn't wear white at home, they wore yellow.

Big seller: Miami Heat forward LeBron James is the most-purchased shirt by NBA fans

Big seller: Miami Heat forward LeBron James is the most-purchased shirt by NBA fans

'Then, all of a sudden New Orleans started wearing yellow in their home uniform and it was like, “Oh my God, everything's changing. Take me back to the good old days!”

'But you know what now – like with the Christmas uniforms – I think it's great. If you try it and you fail, you might look stupid but if you succeed then great.

'You've just got to let it go and don't take yourself too seriously.'

Miami Heat star LeBron James, meanwhile, was revealed as the biggest-selling shirt seller earlier this week.

'It's an honour to be No 1,' said James, who last had the league's best-selling jersey in April 2011.

WATCH THE NBA CHRISTMAS SPECIAL VIDEO

DM.has('rcpv2000087526001','BCVideo');

The Detroit Pistons take on the New York Knicks on January 17 at NBA London Live at the O2 Arena. Watch every NBA game live or on demand via NBA LEAGUE PASS at: www.nba.com/leaguepass

Andy Hazell banned for 14 weeks

Gloucester ace Hazell slapped with 14-week ban after repeatedly punching opponent

|

UPDATED:

12:38 GMT, 25 October 2012

Former England flanker Andy Hazell has been hit by a 14-week suspension.

The Gloucester forward was sent off for striking an opponent during his team's Amlin Challenge Cup victory over Mont-de-Marsan in France earlier this month.

Hazell's case was heard by independent judicial officer Roger Morris in Dublin on Thursday.

No holding back: Andy Hazell lands several blows on an opponent

No holding back: Andy Hazell lands several blows on an opponent

Video

Click here to watch Hazell's attack

Hazell, who pleaded guilty to striking Mont-de-Marsan replacement Sebastien Ormaechea, cannot play again until January 21.

The player gave evidence and made
submissions to Morris, together with Gloucester rugby director Nigel
Davies and ERC disciplinary officer Roger O'Connor.

Immediately after the game, which
Gloucester won 11-6, Davies suggested that Hazell had reacted to extreme
provocation from a Mont-de-Marsan player or players.

Ban: Hazell pleaded guilty to striking Mont-de-Marsan

Ban: Hazell pleaded guilty to striking Mont-de-Marsan

The Aviva Premiership club provided
photographic evidence of marks around Hazell's eyes, but no citing
complaints were subsequently made to ERC by match commissioner John
West, who could not find sufficient video evidence of foul play.

In a statement, ERC said: 'The
judicial officer (Morris) determined that Hazell had intentionally
struck Ormaechea with both the fist and the knee.

'Having also determined that any
suspensions he would impose for the offences would run concurrently, and
as striking with the knee carries greater penalties than striking with
the fist under the IRB recommended sanctions for offences committed
within the playing enclosure, the judicial officer decided on a top-end
entry point of 16 weeks.

'Taking into account aggravating
factors, he added a further two weeks given Hazell's disciplinary record
and his failure to uphold the image of the game. Then following
consideration of Hazell's guilty plea and his exemplary conduct during
the hearing, the judicial officer deducted four weeks before imposing a
suspension of 14 weeks.

'Hazell will be free to play on Monday, 21 January 2013. Both ERC and the player have the right to appeal the decision.'

Detroit Pistons v New York Knicks – NBA returning to London in 2013

NBA back in London with Detroit and New York set for showdown in January

|

UPDATED:

09:21 GMT, 5 October 2012

The NBA is coming back to London with a regular-season game between the Detroit Pistons and New York Knicks in January.

The NBA says the Pistons and Knicks will play on January 17 at the O2 Arena, the site of this year's gold medal game at the London Olympics.

NBA in London

NBA in London

London calling: Utah Jazz's Paul Millsap in action in the capital back in 2009 (left) and Deron Williams of the New Jersey Nets at the O2 last year (right)

The Toronto Raptors and New Jersey Nets played a pair of regular-season games at the same venue in March 2011, but the NBA skipped London on its pre-season tour this year.

NBA Commissioner David Stern said: 'Playing our third regular-season game in the city in three years and having historic franchises like the Knicks and Pistons serve as our ambassadors provide extraordinary opportunities to further the game's growth and development in the UK and throughout Europe.'

Knicks coach Mike Woodson said he was 'excited to show our great fans in London what New York basketball is about'.

There has been a growing trend in recent years for major American sporting fixtures to take place in London.

The NFL will again stage a match in the capital later this month, when the St Louis Rams play the New England Patriots at Wembley.

NFL and Referees Association reach agreement to end dispute over pension pay

NFL and Referees Association reach agreement to end dispute over pension pay

|

UPDATED:

12:15 GMT, 27 September 2012

The NFL and NFL Referees Association have reached an agreement which means temporary officials will no longer take charge of matches.

The dispute over a collective bargaining agreement, largely due to a disagreement over pension payments, had seen replacements drafted in from lower division college, high school and semi-professional football.

But their performances have led to a raft of controversial calls and criticism over the opening three weeks of the new season.

Problem solved: The Referees Association and the NFL have reached an agreement

Problem solved: The Referees Association and the NFL have reached an agreement

A new eight-year deal has now been agreed and although it still needs ratifying by the officials – that is expected over the weekend – the regular referees are due to return, starting with tonight's clash between the Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell told www.nfl.com: 'The long-term future of our game requires that we seek improvement in every area, including officiating.

'This agreement supports long-term reforms that will make officiating better. The teams, players and fans want and deserve both consistency and quality in officiating.

Future's bright: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the agreement supports the long-term goals of the game

Future's bright: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the agreement supports the long-term goals of the game

Future's bright: NFL commissioner Roger Goodell says the agreement supports the long-term goals of the game

'We look forward to having the finest officials in sports back on the field, and I want to give a special thanks to NFL fans for their passion. Now it's time to put the focus back on the teams and players where it belongs.'

The discontent with the temporary officials came to a head on Monday when a controversial call settled the meeting between the Seattle Seahawks and the Green Bay Packers.

The Seahawks won 14-12 after a Packers defender and Seahawks receiver fought for the ball on a final 'Hail Mary' pass play.

Officials missed an offensive pass interference call and then decided there had been simultaneous catch by the two players. Under NFL rules, that gave Seattle the touchdown and the win.

No longer required: Replacement officials were standing in for the referees

No longer required: Replacement officials were standing in for the referees

Jacksonville Jaguars to play NFL matches at Wembley

Jaguars commit to four-year deal as Wembley 'home' team for NFL clashes

|

UPDATED:

19:25 GMT, 21 August 2012

The Jacksonville Jaguars have made a four-year commitment to be the 'home' team in the NFL's International Series games hosted in London starting from next season.

The Jaguars will play a game at Wembley each year from 2013 to 2016 against opponents yet to be named.

The announcement comes a little over a week since the St Louis Rams pulled out of their own commitment to be the home team in 2013 and 2014. The Rams will play the New England Patriots in this year's game on October 23rd.

London calling: Jacksonville Jaguars will play at Wembley as the home team

London calling: Jacksonville Jaguars will play at Wembley as the home team

'Our goal is to continue to grow the game, and this commitment by the Jacksonville Jaguars represents a major step forward in our international efforts,' said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell.

'We have had a tremendously positive reaction to our sport in the UK and we're excited that the Jaguars are seizing this opportunity to raise the profile for the team as well as the Jacksonville community.'

In charge: Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio

In charge: Jacksonville Jaguars head coach Jack Del Rio

The NFL has committed to playing at least one regular-season game in London each year until 2016, and confirmed they are continuing to work towards adding a second game in 2013.

The initial allocation of 65,000 tickets for this October's game between the Rams and Patriots have sold out, with the remaining tickets due to go on sale in September.

Ring of steel: F1 chiefs declare Bahrain goes on with bullet-proof cars and driver bodyguards

Ring of steel: F1 chiefs declare Bahrain goes on with bullet-proof cars and driver bodyguards

|

UPDATED:

18:59 GMT, 12 April 2012

Formula One teams are to ramp up their security measures for next weekend’s Bahrain Grand Prix as the sport’s powerbrokers insisted yesterday the race in the troubled Gulf state will go ahead.

Bodyguards for key personnel and a heavy security presence at team hotels are among planned measures. Even bullet-proof cars to ferry drivers to the track have been touted, as is the case for the Brazilian GP.

One high-ranking official revealed: ‘Various security measures have been taken to minimise risk. There will be measures to ensure safer travel and extra security resources at the track and at the hotels.’

The moves to ensure the likes of McLaren drivers Lewis Hamilton and Jenson Button are kept out of harm’s way — with anti-government activists having vowed to create ‘three days of anger’ across the grand prix weekend — come despite the president of the Bahrain Automobile Federation, Sheik Abdullah bin Isa Al Khalifa, claiming his country is a safe place to visit.

Maximum security: Hamilton (left) and Button

Maximum security: Hamilton (left) and Button

Asked whether security should be increased, Al Khalifa, who is one of the 26 members of the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council, said: ‘No, absolutely not. It will be life as normal. We’ve never had any violence towards foreigners simply because they are foreigners or in F1.’

In addition, John Yates, the former assistant commissioner of the Metropolitan Police who has been hired to oversee reform of Bahrain’s force, has also claimed he felt safer in the Gulf kingdom than he often did in London despite conceding there are ‘almost nightly skirmishes’ between protesters and law enforcement officers.

Phil Duncan F1 blog

Having raised serious concerns last year about holding a race in a country in the grip of violent political unrest before the event was postponed and subsequently cancelled, Red Bull’s Mark Webber was once again the most outspoken driver when questioned on the subject in Shanghai ahead of Sunday’s Chinese Grand Prix.

‘If we had a choice would we go I want to race. That is what I would like to go there and do,’ he said.

‘But you cannot ignore the fact that all of us, in the backs of our minds, want it to go down smoothly and don’t want it to be involved in the unrest. We want the people out there to support our race. That is why it is so sensitive.’

Sensitive: Webber wants to race in Bahrain

Sensitive: Webber wants to race in Bahrain

F1 ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone, who will meet teams today, is adamant the race will go ahead as planned, while FIA president Jean Todt arrives in China tomorrow for further discussions with the teams.

A spokesman for motorsport’s governing body also claimed the Bahrain event will not be cancelled, saying: ‘There is no reason for us to depart from our decision taken before the season to include Bahrain on the calendar.’

Meanwhile, Hamilton was hit with a five-place grid penalty after McLaren were forced into an unscheduled replacement of his gearbox, having decided a fault might damage the 27-year-old’s chances in China. The boxes are supposed to last for five races.

Mercedes could also be in trouble if a protest lodged by Lotus over an innovative device, which boosts straight-line speed when the drivers operate the drag-reduction system (DRS), is upheld even though the system was declared legal for the first two races.