Tag Archives: chigwell

Ali Carter says Ronnie O"Sullivan will play at the World Championships

The Rocket will return: Carter tips O'Sullivan to make Crucible comeback

|

UPDATED:

16:12 GMT, 3 December 2012

Ali Carter has tipped Ronnie O’Sullivan to make a Crucible comeback and defend his World Championship title.

At the beginning of November O’Sullivan announced he would not play again this season, having made only one low-profile outing since defeating Carter to land snooker’s most highly-prized trophy last May.

The explanation was that O’Sullivan had personal reasons for skipping the current campaign, and the Chigwell cueman had said after his victory in Sheffield that playing week-in and week-out on the tour was taking a heavy toll on his life.

Right on cue: Ronnie O'Sullivan has been tipped by Ali Carter to defend his World Title

Right on cue: Ronnie O'Sullivan has been tipped by Ali Carter to defend his World Title

O’Sullivan did not sign up for the ongoing williamhill.com UK Championship, or next month’s Masters at Alexandra Palace in London, but he is expected to have until late February – a deadline has yet to be set – to decide whether to compete at the season-ending World Championship.

Such a return as mooted by Carter would be audacious, as O’Sullivan would be lacking match practice when compared to any other entrant.

But after speaking with the four-time world champion at a recent exhibition match in Poland, Carter can see O’Sullivan, who turns 37 on Wednesday, cutting short his break from tournament snooker.

'Am I missing him No, not at all,' said Carter.

Taking time out: O'Sullivan said he wanted time away from the sport

Taking time out: O'Sullivan said he wanted time away from the sport

But Carter added: 'Obviously I think he’ll be back for the World Championship. I don’t care what everyone says now. There’s no way Ronnie O’Sullivan could miss that event in my opinion.

'We were in Poland and it’s personal reasons (that) he did talk to me about, that I’m not going to discuss.

'I think he’ll be back for the World (Championship), but I don’t think he knows until he wakes up in the morning what he’s going to do, and I don’t think he knows then.'

Without the man regularly branded the most natural player ever to take up the game, snooker has lost its main box-office attraction.

Crowds in York for the UK Championship appear to have suffered for the absence of O’Sullivan and the now-retired Stephen Hendry, with the balcony level at the Barbican Centre closed to spectators who were allowed access last year.

Prediction: Carter says he thinks O'Sullivan will play in the new year

Prediction: Carter says he thinks O'Sullivan will play in the new year

Any tournament without O’Sullivan gives the rest a better chance of coming away with the trophy.

Carter, who has twice been beaten in Crucible finals by his fellow Essex player, knows that certainly applies this week.

'Of course it opens it up,” said the 33-year-old.

'Ronnie’s beatable when his head’s not on but it was clear for everyone to see that this year at the World Championship his head was completely on.

'He hasn’t got four world titles, five UKs and four Masters – or whatever it is – for no reason.'

O’Sullivan actually has four of each, but Carter’s point stands.

Former world champion Graeme Dott would rather O’Sullivan was in York, but the Scot is losing no sleep over his decision to stay away, believing strength in depth means the sport can get by without him.

Dott said: “Ronnie is obviously the best player and everyone wants to see him, the players included would rather have Ronnie in the tournament than not in it.

'If Ronnie wasn’t here seven years ago you’d miss him a hell of a lot more than we’re going to miss him just now.'

Luka Modric: Real Madrid prepare 33m-bid

D-day for Modric as Real Madrid prepare 33m-bid to prise midfielder from Tottenham

|

UPDATED:

22:15 GMT, 27 July 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Real Madrid will offer 33m for Luka Modric in an effort to get his transfer from Tottenham concluded over the weekend.

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas turned down Nuri Sahin on loan as part of the deal and Madrid may offer more in add-ons to satisfy Spurs.

Jose Mourinho has himself taken charge of negotiations with Spurs in a bid to clinch a deal for Modric.

The Real boss knows White Hart Lane chairman Daniel Levy personally and hopes this will be decisive in bringing an end to the transfer saga.

Final countdown: Modric's White Hart Lane career could be over in days

Final countdown: Modric's White Hart Lane career could be over in days

Modric is desperate to join the Spanish giants but talks are at a stalemate, with Madrid’s offer 10million short of Spurs’ 40m asking price.

Manchester United and Paris Saint-Germain have also expressed interest in the 26-year-old, but he has told friends his heart is set on La Liga.

Villas-Boas branded Luka Modric unprofessional over his recent mini-strike. The Croatia midfielder was fined 80,000 after failing to attend pre-season training and then snubbing the club's pre-season tour of the United States, infuriating club chiefs.

Headache: Villas-Boas has had plenty top say about Modric's strike

Headache: Villas-Boas has had plenty top say about Modric's strike

Headache: Villas-Boas has had plenty top say about Modric's strike

Modric later apologised and returned to training at Tottenham's Chigwell base to try and smooth the way for his exit.

Meanwhile, Steven Pienaar's move to Everton is close to being finalised on Saturday.

Stepping in: Mourinho has taken charge of negotiations to force through the deal

Stepping in: Mourinho has taken charge of negotiations to force through the deal

Stepping in: Mourinho has taken charge of negotiations to force through the deal

Steven Pienaar: Warrant for arrest issued by court

Warrant issued for Pienaar's arrest just one day after he dented United's title hopes

|

UPDATED:

11:36 GMT, 24 April 2012

A warrant has been issued for Everton midfielder Steven Pienaar's arrest – the day after he scored a dramatic equaliser against Manchester United in the remarkable 4-4 draw at Old Trafford.

Pienaar, 30, is wanted after his Aston Martin DBS was caught speeding twice on the same road in the space of 11 days.

The footballer failed to let the authorities know who was driving and failed to appear at Chelmsford Magistrates Court on Monday.

Dramatic: Steven Pienaar, left, scores a remarkable equaliser for Everton against Manchester United on Sunday in a game that finished 4-4

Dramatic: Steven Pienaar (left) scored a remarkable equaliser for
Everton at Manchester United on Sunday

A judge issued a warrant and said he should be bailed to appear on a date to be fixed so that he can be sentenced. The charge of failing to notify who was driving was proven in his absence.

Pienaar, on loan at Everton from Spurs, faces a possible driving ban as each offence carries a minimum six penalty points.

Under the totting up procedure anyone who reaches 12 points faces disqualification unless they can show that a ban would cause them exceptional hardship.

Driving ban: Pienaar's Aston Martin DBS was clocked speeding on the same road twice in the space of 11-days. He now faces a possible disqualification

Driving ban: Pienaar's Aston Martin DBS was clocked speeding on the same road twice in the space of 11-days. He now faces a possible disqualification after failing to tell the authorities who was driving (file photo)

High-scoring game: Steven Pienaar, right, celebrates, after Nikica Jelavic, centre, scored Everton's first goal in the match

High-scoring game: Pienaar (right) celebrates with Nikica Jelavic (centre) at Old Trafford

His car was caught doing 43mph and 38mph in a 30mph zone in Chigwell, Essex, on October 10 and 21 last year, the court was told.

At the time, Pienaar was playing his football at Tottenham.

As the defendant’s name was called, Chair of the bench, Ian Fuller asked : 'Is that the footballer' and when told there was a difficulty obtaining driving record because they didn’t have his date of birth, he told the prosecution to 'Google it.'

Goal: Steven Pienaar scores Everton's fourth goal past Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea

On target: Pienaar scores Everton's fourth goal past Manchester United goalkeeper David De Gea

Denise Holland, prosecuting, said Pienaar was twice sent notification of prosecution and asked to provide the identity of the driver and on both occasions the completed from was not returned.

Pienaar's address was given in court as Epping, Essex.

The South Africa playmaker scored a dramatic equaliser for Everton as they came from behind to draw 4-4 at Manchester United – and throw the race for the Barclays Premier League title wide open.

Pienaar was given a 12-month ban from the roads in March 2010 after being caught drink-driving.

He was stopped by police after going through a red and was discovered to be almost twice the legal limit.