Tag Archives: bursaspor

Alfred N"Diaye joins Sunderland

Sunderland complete first signing of window as N'Diaye joins for 3m from Bursaspor

By
Adam Shergold

PUBLISHED:

15:29 GMT, 9 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

15:37 GMT, 9 January 2013

Sunderland have completed the signing of midfielder Alfred N'Diaye from Turkish side Bursaspor for 3m.

As revealed by Sportmail earlier this week, the 22-year-old has today signed a three-and-a-half year deal at the Stadium of Light after completing a medical and agreeing personal terms.

He is Martin O'Neill's first signing of the January transfer window.

New face: Alfred N'Diaye has joined Sunderland for 3m from Turkish side Bursaspor

New face: Alfred N'Diaye has joined Sunderland for 3m from Turkish side Bursaspor

N'Diaye started his career with Nancy
four years ago and moved to Turkey at the start of last season after
more than 60 appearances in the French top division.

O’Neill,
who is desperate for midfield cover for injured captain Lee Cattermole,
launched a bid for the ball-winning midfielder at the opening of the
transfer window.

Powerhouse: N'Diaye (left) passed a medical on Wearside today and could make his debut against West Ham this weekend

Powerhouse: N'Diaye (left) passed a medical on Wearside today and could make his debut against West Ham this weekend

He told his club's website: 'Alfred is a strong, powerful young player and as such can offer us more strength in depth.

'He will give us options and I'm delighted that we have been able to bring him to the club.'

N'Diaye could go straight into the squad for Saturday's home game with West Ham if he receives international clearance in time.

Sir Alex Ferguson says Manchester United are used to Turkish atmospheres

Hell No bother! Ferguson insists Man United are used to Turkish atmospheres

|

UPDATED:

23:43 GMT, 19 November 2012

Manchester United avoided a predictably hostile reception on their arrival in Turkey as hundreds of Galatasaray fans tried to recreate the infamous 'Welcome to Hell' scenes at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport.

Nineteen years after Sir Alex Ferguson and his players faced what he admitted was a 'quite frightening' experience, United were directed through a private terminal and missed the mayhem that awaited them.

Fanatical supporters crammed into the airport's arrival hall – some chanting anti-Leeds songs in reference to the two English fans who were stabbed to death here 12 years ago – while others set flares alight outside the building.

Welcome: Galatasaray supporters light flares as they wait for Manchester United

Welcome: Galatasaray supporters light flares as they wait for Manchester United

Welcome: Galatasaray supporters light flares as they wait for Manchester United

Manchester United

There will be no hiding place in the Turk Telekom Arena tonight, however, when Ferguson sends out a young side with first place in Group H, and qualification to the knockout stages of the Champions League, already guaranteed.

Many of United's star players have been left at home and eight of the 21-man squad that flew out of Manchester have not even played in this competition before, including former Crewe midfielder Nick Powell who is expected to start.

Even England defender Phil Jones, who should make his first appearance of the season after injury, is unlikely to have experienced anything quite like it in what is officially the loudest sports stadium in the world.

Others have played in Turkey before against the likes of Besiktas, Fenerbahce and Bursaspor, and Ferguson is hoping that their experience will help against a team who still hope to clinch second place.

'We dodged the greeting from the fans,' said Ferguson. 'We came underground! 'In 1993 it was incredible, quite frightening, but we have been a few times now and are used to the Turkish atmosphere. It is fanatical, but it is no issue for us.

'Apart from Nick Powell and Alex Buttner a lot of the players have experience of playing in front of big crowds.

'It's completely different for Powell. It will be his first game at this level, but his temperament will be important.

'We
don't consider it a gamble, but we do consider our reputation and being
fair to the teams in the group.' When United went out to Galatasaray
after a goalless draw at the Ali Sami Yen Stadium in 1993, Eric Cantona
and Bryan Robson were attacked by riot police in the players' tunnel.

We can cope: Sir Alex Ferguson is not worried about a daunting atmosphere

We can cope: Sir Alex Ferguson is not worried about a daunting atmosphere

His choice: Ferguson has brought a youthful squad to Turkey

Where and when

Kick-off: 7.45pm at the Turk Telekom Arena.

TV: LIVE on Sky Sports 4 from 7.30pm.

Referee: Carlos Velasco Carballo (Spain)

Goalkeeper Peter Schemichel believes
that experience helped galvanise United in Europe, and hopes tonight
could have a similar effect on this team.

'It
was the foundation for what we managed to do in the Champions League
later on,' said Schmeichel. 'It was something we had been through and we
could deal with it of our own accord.

'So Istanbul, to me, was a point of
reference. Tomorrow could be another.'

Fear: Galatasaray fans tried to recreate the welcome from 1993

Fear: Galatasaray fans tried to recreate the welcome from 1993

Ferguson revealed that Shinji
Kagawa could still be out for another month as the Japan international
makes a slower than expected recovery from his knee injury.

Kagawa
was injured against Braga four weeks ago, and Ferguson said: 'He hasn't
started any outside work. Overall, he will probably be looking at six
to seven weeks since the injury.'

Up for it: Tom Cleverley is also expected to feature

Up for it: Tom Cleverley is also expected to feature

Kolo Toure struggles to accept being behind Matija Nastasic in pecking order

Toure struggles to accept being fourth in pecking order behind Nastasic at City

|

UPDATED:

21:30 GMT, 26 September 2012

Kolo Toure admits he is struggling to come to terms with being Manchester City’s fourth-choice centre-back behind teenager Matija Nastasic.

The 19-year-old Serbian defender made a surprise debut against Real Madrid at the Bernabeu last week following his summer move from Fiorentina.

Toure is not even in City’s Champions League squad after he failed to agree terms over a move to Turkish clubs Galatasaray and Bursaspor, and now finds himself even further behind the first-choice pairing of Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott.

Struggle: Kolo Toure (right) is unhappy that he is fourth in the pecking order at Manchester City

Struggle: Kolo Toure (right) is unhappy that he is fourth in the pecking order at Manchester City

‘Joleon and Vincent have been fantastic and deserve their place, but it’s much harder when a young player comes and steps in front of you, said Toure, who has struggled to re-establish himself at City since he was handed a six-month drugs ban last year.

‘Since I came back from the problem I had, I’ve been fourth-choice every time and that’s been really difficult. It’s hard to come in and give your best.

‘I feel I can still get into the team. Ask anybody. Every day at training I give everything.

‘It’s hard, but that is the manager’s choice, and what can I do I need to work hard, and that’s alright by me.

‘Sometimes I am not on the bench and that is not easy, but it’s up to me to prove to the manager that I am still one of the best.’

First choice: Joleon Lescott (centre left) and Vincent kompany (centre right) were outstanding for City last season

First choice: Joleon Lescott (centre left) and Vincent kompany (centre right) were outstanding for City last season

Toure blamed his failed test on taking his wife’s diet pills. The 31-year-old Ivory Coast defender insists he has tried a more conventional way to get himself into shape for the new season.

‘I got a personal trainer to train myself during pre-season,’ said Toure. ‘Ten days before we came back I was working hard with my personal trainer because I want to come back to my best.

‘I feel strong, and since my problem I have a hunger in me to show what I can do.

‘There were other clubs in for me in the summer, but I love England. Some good Turkish clubs came in with good offers but I want to stay at the top, play in the Premier League and prove I am still one of the best defenders out there.’

Toure played in a back-three with Lescott and Nastasic in Tuesday’s 4-2 Capital One Cup defeat at home to Aston Villa.

More competition: Matija Nastasic (right) is ahead of Toure in Roberto Mancini's plans

More competition: Matija Nastasic (right) is ahead of Toure in Roberto Mancini's plans

The defeat meant City have conceded 14 goals in seven games in all competitions this season, and Toure warned that the defensive failings are in danger of costing the Premier League champions their title.

‘We need to react as a team because we are Manchester City, the champions from last year,’ he said.

‘If you want to win the Premier League you have to be able to keep clean sheets. When you look at what happened over the last few years, everyone who wins it has that ability and we haven’t been able to do it this season.’

Lazio want Manchester City"s Kolo Toure

Lazio set sights on Toure as Mancini seeks to offload 3m defender

|

UPDATED:

22:36 GMT, 22 August 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Lazio are showing interest in Manchester City defender Kolo Toure.

The 31-year-old is available for 3million after becoming surplus to requirements at the Premier League champions.

The Ivory Coast international has been unable to force his way into the side after impressive performances from captain Vincent Kompany and Joleon Lescott.

Heading out Manchester City's Kolo Toure (right) is a target for Lazio

Heading out Manchester City's Kolo Toure (right) is a target for Lazio

City are keen to offload several players in order to finance manager Roberto Mancini's summer spending.

The Italian has so far been frustrated in his efforts to strengthen his squad for an assault both on the league and in Europe.

Indeed, Mancini and Toure had an alleged bust-up after City's Community Shield win over Chelsea at Villa Park.

The defender was reported to have thrown his medal into the crowd but it was later revealed that he handed it to a young fan.

In the market: Roberto Mancini is still keen to strengthen his squad

In the market: Roberto Mancini is still keen to strengthen his squad

Toure has a year left on contract and has attracted attention from Turkish side Bursaspor – with whom Toure admits he has held discission – and Al Hilal.

The Ivorian said: 'I did speak to the people there, but I'm just focusing on City. I'm a City player, I still enjoy it here, you can see that.

'I love playing at the same club as my brother. But we will see what will happen. I've got one year left on my contract and that's it.

'I am still at City but you never know the future. For me the most important thing is every day I'm at City I'll give 100 per cent.'

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure wanted at Trabzonspor

Kolo attracts interest from Turkey as City seek 3.5m for defender

|

UPDATED:

21:45 GMT, 31 July 2012

Trabzonspor are the latest club to show interest in Manchester City defender Kolo Toure.

The 31-year-old has a year left on contract and has attracted attention from Bursaspor and Al Hilal.

Barcelona have also been linked. City want 3.5million for Toure.

Warming up: Kolo Toure (left) in action for Manchester City during pre-season

Warming up: Kolo Toure (left) in action for Manchester City during pre-season

Kolo Toure chased by Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal

Saudi side Al Hilal rival Bursaspor for Manchester City defender Toure

|

UPDATED:

21:50 GMT, 17 July 2012

Manchester City's Kolo Toure is wanted by Saudi Arabian side Al Hilal.

Turkish side Bursaspor have made an offer for the 31-year-old but the Premier League champions want 3million for the former Arsenal defender.

Toure, who played against Al Hilal in a pre-season friendly last weekend, has one year left on his contract.

Exit looming: Kolo Toure seems increasingly likely to leave Manchester City

Exit looming: Kolo Toure seems increasingly likely to leave Manchester City

Cardiff striker Kenny Miller close to joining Vancouver Whitecaps

Cardiff striker Kenny Miller close to joining Vancouver Whitecaps

|

UPDATED:

21:42 GMT, 15 July 2012

Canada calling: Kenny Miller could be of to Vancouver

Canada calling: Kenny Miller could be of to Vancouver

Cardiff City striker Kenny Miller is close to joining Vancouver Whitecaps after Malky Mackay began looking to strengthen his forward line.

The Bluebirds boss hopes to bring in Liverpool's Craig Bellamy, and is also looking at Cerezo Osaka midfielder Kim Bo-kyung, who is available for 2.5m.

Miller has been at Cardiff since 2011 following an unsuccessful stint in Turkey with Bursaspor.

Meanwhile, Fulham are also keen on Cardiff's Peter Whittingham.

Kolo Toure in talks with Bursaspor over move from Manchester City

Kolo set for Manchester City exit with Ivorian in talks with Bursaspor over move

|

UPDATED:

20:40 GMT, 12 July 2012

Manchester City defender Kolo Toure is in talks with Bursaspor over a move to Turkey.

City have told the Super Lig club to forget about signing the Ivorian for nothing and want to recoup at least 3million of the 16m they paid Arsenal for Toure three years ago.

Toure is one of the most popular players at City, but has never recovered his first-team spot after being forced to spend six months on the sidelines following a failed drugs test, which was blamed on the 31-year-old taking one of his wife's slimming products.

On the move: Kolo Toure look set for a Turkish adventure

On the move: Kolo Toure look set for a Turkish adventure

Toure did make enough appearances to qualify for a Premier League title winner's medal last term as City ended their 44-year wait for the championship.

However, with skipper Vincent Kompany and England's Joleon Lescott now established as manager Roberto Mancini's first-choice defensive pairing, Toure is open to the prospect of a move.

And Bursaspor, where England keeper Scott Carson plies his trade, have emerged as an option.

No guarantee: Toure has lost his place in City's starting XI

No guarantee: Toure has lost his place in City's starting XI

'We have been in talks with Kolo Toure over the past two days – it would be one of the most important transfers to be completed by an Anatolian side,' Bursaspor manager Ertugrul Saglam told Dogan News Agency.

'Obviously nothing is certain until he signs pen to paper, however we are working hard to try finalise a deal.'

Although City would be left with only Stefan Savic as direct cover, and the Montenegrin had plenty of critics last term, Micah Richards is capable of playing in central defence.

And the departure of a high-earning star would help City get closer to meeting UEFA's Financial Fair Play rules at a time when they are still looking to invest in the transfer market, with Robin van Persie a likely target.

Cardiff"s Kenny Miller targets Wembley goal to record Great British hat-trick

Cardiff striker Miller targets Wembley goal to record Great British hat-trick

When Kenny Miller turned down the chance to join Rangers for a third time last year in favour of a stint in the Championship with Cardiff City, his days of playing in major cup finals seemed over.

He chose Wales because of the influence of Cardiff manager Malky Mackay, a former Scotland team-mate and Championship opponent who had something about him that appealed to the 32-year-old much-travelled striker

Great Scot: Kenny Miller (centre) has scored 10 goals for Cardiff this season

Great Scot: Kenny Miller (centre) has scored 10 goals for Cardiff this season

Miller had just spent an unhappy year with Bursaspor in Turkey, with his family homesick, and he needed a new challenge. He remembered Mackay as an archetypal, old-fashioned centre-half who would ‘kick or head anything that got in his way’ and he believes that he approaches management in the same no-nonsense way.

‘Malky is a straight shooter,’ said Miller at the club’s Vale of Glamorgan training ground.

‘You don’t have to be guessing about what he wants from his teams. He was a big part of why I came here. I knew the type of man he was and speaking to him only enhanced that view.

‘He was an aggressive centre-half and he’s the same as a manager. He was a leader then and he’s a leader now.

Rangers came in for me but I was so far down the line with Cardiff I wasn’t going to turn my back on it.’

On for the treble: Kenny Miller has scored at Wales's Millennium Stadium for Wolves (above) and at Scotland's Hampden Park for Rangers

On for the treble: Kenny Miller has scored at Wales's Millennium Stadium for Wolves (above) and at Scotland's Hampden Park for Rangers

The Scotland captain, one of only five professionals to have played for both Old Firm clubs, is eyeing a milestone.

Having scored for Wolves in a 3-0 play-off final win at the Millennium Stadium against Sheffield United and hitting the winner for Rangers in a Scottish Cup final win over St Mirren at Hampden, he is going for a treble at Wembley.

‘It’d be great to do a British hat-trick,’ said Miller. ‘I’ll dream of scoring the winner in the last minute. I’d love to lift the Carling Cup, then focus on promotion. ‘Liverpool have so many attacking options but if we can ride our luck, defend well and take any chances that come along then anything can happen. Birmingham showed that last year.’

Blackburn rebuke 2.5m bid for Mauro Formica

Blackburn rebuke 2.5m bid for Formica from Turkey, insisting midfielder is worth more

Blackburn have turned down a 2.5million bid from Turkey for midfielder Mauro Formica.

Bursaspor, Kayserispor and Besiktas have all made enquiries about the Argentine but Blackburn value the midfielder, 23, at 4m.

Bids: Several clubs want Formica

Bids: Several clubs want Formica

The club remain keen on Fulham striker Andy Johnson.