Tag Archives: boss

Joleon Lescott wants Manchester City to treat him with respect

Sign me up, or let me leave, says Lescott as City defender urges club to show him respect

By
David Kent

PUBLISHED:

07:12 GMT, 20 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

07:16 GMT, 20 April 2013

Joleon Lescott hopes Manchester City will treat him with respect when it comes to deciding his future.

The England defender is close to entering the last year of his contract with the FA Cup finalists and has yet to fix up a new deal.

He has told the Daily Telegraph that he wants to stay, but claims he is not naive enough to think that is assured.

New deal: Joleon Lescott hopes Manchester City will treat him with respect

New deal: Joleon Lescott hopes Manchester City will treat him with respect

New deal: Joleon Lescott hopes Manchester City will treat him with respect

And, with the World Cup on the horizon, the former Everton man wants a first-team place to show national boss Roy Hodgson that he is up to the job.

He said: 'If someone said when I signed here “you're going to win the Premier League, get to two FA Cup finals and represent your country in the Euros” I'd have snapped their hand off.

'So now to go into the final year of my contract uncertain about my future is quite strange. I'd love to stay. My wife's pregnant, we've just moved house, the kids are happy at school. But I'm not naive. When you've achieved all that and you're going into the last year of your contract your future might be elsewhere.

'I can't afford to go into a World Cup year being uncertain of whether I'm going to play [regularly] here.

England ambition: Lescott wants to be a regular in World Cup year

England ambition: Lescott wants to be a regular in World Cup year

'I feel I've done enough for the club to demand a bit of respect in terms of they come and tell me what they want, whether it's a new deal, which I would be delighted to sign, or [to go] elsewhere.

'I'm very respectful of the club with what they've done for me, how they were persistent when Everton were digging their heels in to keep me. I owe a lot to the club. I also feel I've done enough to demand a bit of respect to not see speculation about my future.'

Rafa Benitez plays down talk of David Luiz being future long term Chelsea captain

I'm not ready to make Luiz my captain yet, insists Chelsea boss Benitez amid doubts over Terry's future

By
Matt Barlow

PUBLISHED:

12:54 GMT, 16 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

13:15 GMT, 16 April 2013

Rafa Benitez has dismissed claims that David Luiz is in line to replace John Terry as the long-term captain of Chelsea.

Terry was left out of Chelsea’s FA Cup semi-final defeat to Manchester City at the weekend and has missed a number games this season.

Goalkeeper Petr Cech led the side in Terry’s absence at Wembley on Sunday, but Luiz has been cited as a possible long-term replacement.

Future leader: Rafa Benites has played down talk of David Luiz being Chelsea captain

Future leader: Rafa Benites has played down talk of David Luiz being Chelsea captain

But Benitez played down the suggestion saying he did not want to praise the Brazilin too much.

‘I don’t want to talk about the future when we’re involved in top four challenge and Europa League. He’ one of the important players we have, there are others, I don’t want to give too much credit to him. He is a key player and will be in the future.’

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers insists Andy Carroll will not be sold on the cheap

Rodgers insists Carroll will not leave for peanuts, but don't expect anywhere near the 'astronomical' 35m paid in the first place

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

21:00 GMT, 5 April 2013

|

UPDATED:

21:00 GMT, 5 April 2013

Andy Carroll will not be allowed to leave Liverpool on the cheap with Brendan Rodgers undecided whether the 35m striker is part of his plans.

The 28-year-old is currently on loan at West Ham and will sit down with Rodgers at the end of the season to discuss his Anfield future.

West Ham boss Sam Allardyce is keen sign Carroll on a permanent basis, while the player’s former club Newcastle are monitoring the situation.

Wanted man Carroll's future is still unsure, with his Liverpool contract running out in 2016

Wanted man Carroll's future is still unsure, with his Liverpool contract running out in 2016

Brendan Rodgers

Newcastle United manager Alan Pardew

Been and gone: Rodgers (left) wiants a good fee for Carroll, with Alan Pardew (right) rumoured to be interested

Although Rodgers has warned potential suitors they will have to pay the going rate for the powerful target man.

‘It’s absolutely the case that, just the same as last season, If the player does leave then it won’t be for nothing,’ Rodgers said.

‘He came here for an astronomical fee which was no fault of his own, so we will see what happens in the summer.’

Rodgers admires the robust qualities that Carroll can bring to a team, but hinted that he may struggle to accommodate a player of his type in his future vision for Liverpool.

'Astronomical': Rodgers saysthe huge fee paid for Carroll by Kenny Dalglish was not the player's fault

'Astronomical': Rodgers saysthe huge fee paid for Carroll by Kenny Dalglish was not the player's fault

‘Every player it is about the style, and how they fit into that. If you look at Luis Suarez he has flourished this season in the roaming role we have given him.

'We are a team that is set up to exploit his qualities,’ Rodgers added.

‘Likewise for other players you may have to set up in a certain way to get the best out of them.

There is no doubt Andy has qualities – some of his goals from set plays with West Ham have proven that.’

Out the door: Carroll played 44 times in the Premier League for Liverpool before moving on loan to West Ham

Out the door: Carroll played 44 times in the Premier League for Liverpool before moving on loan to West Ham

Rio Ferdinand expected to follow Ryan Giggs and sign Manchester United contract extension

Ferdinand set to follow Giggs in signing new United contract despite interest from the States and Far East

.

Old guard: Rio Ferdinand (left) is likely to join Ryan Giggs in signing a contract extension at Manchester United

Old guard: Rio Ferdinand (left) is likely to join Ryan Giggs in signing a contract extension at Manchester United

Ferdinand seems more likely to sign yet so far, the 34-year-old has still to commit himself, amid rumours of interest from the US, China and the cash-rich Far East.

However, Ferguson is confident Ferdinand will remain at Old Trafford.

'That is a strong possibility,' he said. 'It would have to happen before the end of the season.'

Ferdinand is managing a long-standing back complaint and his performances this season suggest he still has a major role to play with the Red Devils, even if England boss Roy Hodgson is not interested.

He is virtually certain to be involved against Real Madrid on Tuesday, when United look to secure their place in the Champions League quarter-finals.

Stalwart: Ferdinand joined United in 2002 and has been a regular since

Stalwart: Ferdinand joined United in 2002 and has been a regular since

'I think he has had a great season,' said Ferguson.

'He has managed himself the right way and we have contributed to that in the preparation we give him.

'He doesn't play every game in the same way that Ryan doesn't play every game.

'But in terms of key matches he has been absolutely brilliant.

'Two weeks ago, against Real Madrid, he was excellent so we need to get him ready for the big one on Tuesday.'

Madness at Chelsea! Suggs visits Blues

It really is Madness at Chelsea! Superfan Suggs drops in to visit Blues

PUBLISHED:

13:35 GMT, 1 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

13:35 GMT, 1 March 2013

There was more Madness at Chelsea on Friday morning as superfan Suggs turned up at their Cobham training ground.

The players are preparing to face West Bromwich Albion at the end of an eventful week which saw interim boss Rafa Benitez launch an extraordinary attack on the club's fans and owner Roman Abramovich.

Benitez slammed the supporters after Wednesday's win at Middlesbrough, claiming they were not doing the team any favours by continuing to boo him.

Our house: Suggs paid a visit to Chelsea's Cobham training ground

Our house: Suggs paid a visit to Chelsea's Cobham training ground

But Suggs' commitment to the Stamford
Bridge outfit can never be doubted. The 52-year-old, who has a string
of hits under his belt with Madness and as a solo artist, reached No 22
in the charts in 1997 with Blue Day, the song he recorded with the
players for the FA Cup final.

The west Londoners beat Middlesbrough
2-0 in the Wembley showpiece with former manager Roberto Di Matteo
scoring after 42 seconds.

Thew club's official Twitter page
said this morning: 'We've been fortunate enough to welcome legendary
Chelsea fan Suggs to Cobham this morning! #CFC #BlueDay.'

Steve Bruce hits out at DJ Campbell after striker walked out of move to Hull

DJ told me he was going for a spot of lunch… then ran off for talks with Blackburn, fumes Bruce

By
Lee Bryan

PUBLISHED:

11:54 GMT, 2 February 2013

|

UPDATED:

11:54 GMT, 2 February 2013

Hull boss Steve Bruce was furious with QPR striker DJ Campbell after he allegedly told the club he was ‘nipping out for lunch’ but then walked out on a potential move to the KC Stadium to hold talks with Blackburn.

The whole affair left a sour taste in Bruce’s mouth and he blasted the striker of a lack of professionalism.

Hull believed they had agreed a deal but then found out that Blackburn had made a 4.5million offer for Campbell for a three-and-a-half year deal behind their back.

On the move: DJ Campbell looked like he was going to sign for Hull but left to go and talk to Blackburn

On the move: DJ Campbell looked like he was going to sign for Hull but left to go and talk to Blackburn

Not impressed: Steve Bruce was disappointed with Campbell's conduct

Not impressed: Steve Bruce was disappointed with Campbell's conduct

Bruce raged to the Daily Mirror: ‘The total lack of respect by DJ and his agent left a bad taste. I have no problem with him going but the way they handled it is shocking.

‘They said they were going for a bit of lunch, but went along the M62 and left us trying to find out where they were for a couple of hours. If they had rung and said what happened we could have all got on with our lives.

‘I have been in the game for a long time and never been as disappointed as I am with their behaviour.

‘It’s just greed. Be a man, just inform us of your intentions.’
Campbell’s move to Blackburn was put on hold as the parties disputed financial details.

But he is finally expected to join them on loan next week.

Sportsmail’s Charles Sale revealed the story this morning and claims the Hull boss was especially upset as Campbell’s agent – Otis Roberts – used to represent him when he became Sunderland manager.

It is understood Campbell was offered 16,000 a week by Hull and 25,000 a week by Blackburn, which might explain his rapid change of mind.

Gylfi Sigurdsson bid failed – Reading boss Brian McDermott

McDermott reveals failed deadline day move for Spurs midfielder Sigurdsson

By
David Kent

PUBLISHED:

12:38 GMT, 1 February 2013

|

UPDATED:

19:00 GMT, 1 February 2013


Old boy: Gylfi Sigurdsson was a former Royals star

Old boy: Gylfi Sigurdsson was a former Royals star

Reading manager Brian McDermott failed in an attempt to sign Tottenham midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson on transfer deadline day.

The Iceland international started his professional career with the Royals before moving to Hoffenheim in 2010 after impressing at the Madejski Stadium.

His stock continued to rise and after an impressive loan spell with Swansea last season, Tottenham signed him on a permanent deal in the summer but McDermott did his best to get him back in a blue and white shirt before the transfer deadline passed last night.

'We tried to bring him back. We had spoken to Spurs and we made three offers,' said McDermott, giving away that it was in fact Sigurdsson and not Blackpool's Tom Ince that his club were planning on paying a club-record fee for.

'I thought at one stage we had a real chance of doing a deal, but unfortunately, we couldn't manage to do it.

'Gylfi is a Tottenham player, but we've known him since he was 12-13 years old and it would have been great to bring him back.'

Tottenham boss Andrew Villas-Boas said Sigurdsson was happy to stay and fight for his place at White Hart Lane.

He said: 'Yeah obviously he’s a player that means a lot to Reading, from their academy. He’s a player that Brian appreciates and probably could have been a big boost for them. But he’s a player that we rate very highly, we brought him here after his amazing contribution for Swansea last year and he’s a player that we have high expectations for.

'Probably this season at the moment is not going to the level that he wants, but obviously the step is much more difficult than it was at Swansea last year. But he's a player that we believe a lot in, an d in his future here. We couldn’t allow him to leave.’

‘Players are happy when they play more but without disrespecting Reading, I think the ambitions for Tottenham are higher and I think the player appreciates that he has to overcome this tough environment where he lives – the competition that he faces to be in the team. And I think that’s what makes a player evolve in any circumstance.'

McDermott revealed on Tuesday that he
had lodged a bid for Ince, one of the most sought-after players in the
country, while he also signed Sheffield United striker Nick Blackman.

Nigel Adkins should join Huddersfield Town, says Terriers stand-in manager Mark Lillis

Adkins should become a Terrier, says Huddersfield stand-in boss

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

10:45 GMT, 26 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

10:48 GMT, 26 January 2013

Nigel Adkins has emerged as the favourite to take over at Huddersfield Town – and he's been backed by the man he would replace.

Terriers caretaker boss Mark Lillis, who is in charge for their home FA Cup fourth round tie with Leicester City today, helped Adkins into management.

And now he's urging the recently sacked Southampton boss to come to Yorkshire, according to The Sun.

Yorkshire move Nigel Adkins has been strongly linked with the vacant manager's position at Huddersfield Town following his sacking at Southampton

Yorkshire move Nigel Adkins has been strongly linked with the vacant manager's position at Huddersfield Town following his sacking at Southampton

Lillis said: 'Huddersfield is a very attractive job.

'We spoke at length about Nigel going into management when he was physio at Scunthorpe. I said 'Give it a go.''

Adkins was surprisingly sacked as Southampton manager on January 18, just two days after a 2-2 draw at Chelsea that left them 15th in the table.

He was immediately replaced by Argentine Mauricio Pochettino, who started his tenure with a 0-0 draw against Everton on Monday.

Frozen out: Simon Grayson was sacked as Huddersfield manager last week after a 12-game winless sequences

Frozen out: Simon Grayson was sacked as Huddersfield manager last week after a 12-game winless sequences

Huddersfield axed Simon Grayson following a 12-match winless run, which had seen them slide dangerously close to the Championship relegation zone.

Grayson, 43, had led Town to League One promotion last season, after beating Sheffield United in the play-off final.

San Lorenzo pull out of race for Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini

Fab news for Newcastle as San Lorenzo decide against bidding for captain Coloccini

By
John Drayton

PUBLISHED:

16:29 GMT, 23 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

18:08 GMT, 23 January 2013

Newcastle have been boosted by the news that San Lorenzo have pulled out of the fight for captain Fabricio Coloccini.

The defender has been pining for a move back to his homeland for much of this month, citing personal reasons.

But after weeks of discussion, the Argentinian club confirmed on Twitter: 'Finally, after long negotiations, we announced that Fabricio Coloccini not join the squad.

Going nowhere: Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini won't be going home

Going nowhere: Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini won't be going home

'It was not possible to release the Newcastle player for this tournament and therefore the club will look for another alternative to strengthen the defense.'

San Lorenzo's decision is a major boost to boss Alan Pardew, who was defiant for much of January over the future of his star man, who has been on Tyneside since 2008.

Vegard Forren abandons Liverpool trial for Southampton talks

Saints set to snatch Forren as 4.2m defender abandons Anfield trial for St Mary's talks

By
Matt Barlow

PUBLISHED:

11:43 GMT, 15 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

11:43 GMT, 15 January 2013

Vegard Forren is considering the option of a permanent transfer to Southampton rather than his planned trial at Liverpool.

Forren, a Norwegian international central defender, arrived in England last night and was expected to report to Liverpool for a trial today.

Change of plan: Molde defender Vegard Forren has abandoned a trial at Liverpool in favour of talks with Southampton

Change of plan: Molde defender Vegard Forren (also in action, below) has abandoned a trial at Liverpool in favour of holding talks with Barclays Premier League side Southampton

Heading off: Norway international Forren (No 5) looks set to leave Molde for a move to England

But the 24-year-old has other options in the Barclays Premier League including Saints, who are keen to strengthen their defence and thought to be among the clubs who have agreed a 4.2million transfer fee with his club Molde.

Fulham and Everton are other clubs who have been monitoring Forren, who has been capped five times by Norway.

Molde boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer confirmed earlier this month that the defender was set to leave the club, possibly for the Barclays Premier League.

Southampton manager Nigel Adkins

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers

Upper hand: Southampton boss Nigel Adkins is leading the race to sign Forren ahead of Brendan Rodgers (R)