Tag Archives: borough

Saracens and Ulster Heineken Cup quarter-final at Twickenham

Twickenham to host Heineken Cup quarter-final between Saracens and Ulster

By
Mike Dawes

PUBLISHED:

13:05 GMT, 30 January 2013

|

UPDATED:

15:57 GMT, 30 January 2013

Saracens have announced their Heineken Cup quarter-final against Ulster on April 6 will be played at Twickenham.

The Aviva Premiership club's new Allianz Park home, complete with its artificial playing surface, had been mooted as a possible venue.

Bumper crowd: Saracens will host Ulster at Twickenham in April

Bumper crowd: Saracens will host Ulster at Twickenham in April

But club chairman Nigel Wray told Saracens' official website today that the game will be staged at Twickenham.

'We look forward to playing this important match at the home of English rugby, a ground that many of our players know extremely well,' Wray said.

'It is absolutely clear that people want to see big teams playing big matches at big stadiums, and that is precisely what we will deliver at Twickenham.

Happy memories: Sarries won the Aviva Premiership title at HQ in 2011

Happy memories: Sarries won the Aviva Premiership title at HQ in 2011

'We did consider the option of playing this showpiece match at Allianz Park, our brand new home stadium in NW4, but, in consultation with local residents and our partners at the London Borough of Barnet, we have decided to settle at the new venue before applying to stage a one-off event with a larger capacity.'

Harlequins will host Munster at their Twickenham Stoop home the following day, with the quarter-final line-up completed by Leicester visiting Toulon and Clermont Auvergne hosting Montpellier.

New York Marathon cancelled

It's off! New York Marathon is cancelled following devastation of Superstorm Sandy

|

UPDATED:

23:29 GMT, 2 November 2012

The New York City Marathon has been cancelled following mounting criticism for the decision earlier this week to go ahead with the race in the devastating wake of Superstorm Sandy.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg said on Friday that this was not the time for Sunday's race to go ahead, with the region still recovering.

With people in storm-ravaged areas still without electricity, and the death toll in the city at more than 40, many New Yorkers were furious at the prospect of police officers being required to protect this major sporting event.

Marathon clear-up: Damage in the New York City borough of Queens, where fire destroyed around 100 houses and many more were flooded

Marathon clear-up: Damage in the New York City borough of Queens, where fire destroyed around 100 houses and many more were flooded

An estimated 40,000 runners from
around the world had been expected to take part.
The race had been scheduled to start in Staten Island, one of the areas to suffer most this week.

'We would not want a cloud to hang
over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it,' Bloomberg said in a statement.

High winds: Superstorm Sandy has forced the cancellation of the race

High winds: Superstorm Sandy has forced the cancellation of the race

'We cannot allow a controversy over an
athletic event – even one as meaningful as this – to distract attention
away from all the critically important work that is being done to
recover from the storm and get our city back on track.'

Bloomberg called the marathon an
'integral part of New York City's life for 40 years' and 'an event tens
of thousands of New Yorkers participate in and millions more watch'.

Flashback: The runners cross Verrazano Narrows Bridge in last year's race

Flashback: The runners cross Verrazano Narrows Bridge in last year's race

He maintained that holding the
race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, but
understood the level of friction.

'It is clear it that it has become
the source of controversy and division,' Bloomberg said. 'The marathon
has always brought our city together and inspired us with stories of
courage and determination.'

New York marathon takes place despite Hurricane Sandy wreckage

New York marathon to go ahead despite devastation caused by Superstorm Sandy

|

UPDATED:

11:41 GMT, 2 November 2012

The New York City Marathon will go ahead as planned on Sunday despite the damage caused by Hurricane Sandy which swept up the East coast at the beginning of the week.

The monstrous storm has left the lower half of Manhattan without power and there are plenty of logistical questions yet to be answered, but New York Road Runners president Mary Wittenberg has confirmed the race will go ahead.

If anything, she argued, the race was more important now than before. 'To us the marathon really epitomizes the spirit of New York City, the vitality, the tenacity, the determination of New Yorkers,' she said.

Marathon clear-up: Damage in the New York City borough of Queens, where fire destroyed around 100 houses and many more were flooded

Marathon clear-up: Damage in the New York City borough of Queens, where fire destroyed around 100 houses and many more were flooded

It will be great news for the near 50,000 men and women who have spent up to nine months training for the race, but the event will be undoubtedly tinged with sadness after so many have lost their life.

Organisers are still assessing the damage left by Superstorm Sandy and how it will affect logistical plans, such as getting runners into the city and transporting them to the start line on Staten Island.

Most of the city's 23 subway lines are operational or near-operational – though none below 34th Street, an area that includes the terminal for the ferries that go to Staten Island.

High winds: The superstorm threatened to wreck the 2012 edition of the New York marathon

High winds: The superstorm threatened to wreck the 2012 edition of the New York marathon

New York mayor Michael Bloomberg wants the race to go ahead, as many small business depend on the influx of tourists and runners, but some athletes feel torn over whether to attend the race – or even if it is right that the race goes ahead.

Some fun runners are concerned that the race will pull resources away from where it is really needed.

Wittenberg said she expected the field would be smaller than the 47,500 who ran last year because some entrants would not be able to make it to New York, but added that so far organizers had received no more cancellations than normal.

Flashback: The runners cross Verrazano Narrows Bridge in last year's race

Flashback: The runners cross Verrazano Narrows Bridge in last year's race

In 2001, the race took place only seven weeks after the 9/11 terrorist attacks that shook the entire country.

The 43rd marathon is set to include three Olympic medalists and the women's world champion.

Kenya's Wilson Kipsang won bronze in the Olympic men's marathon; his challengers will include 2011 Chicago Marathon champion, Moses Mosop of Kenya, and 2010 New York winner, Gebre Gebremariam of Ethiopia.

Picking up the pieces: Workers assemble the finish line for the marathon in Central Park

Picking up the pieces: Workers assemble the finish line for the marathon in Central Park

Ethiopia's Tiki Gelana won gold and Russia's Tatyana Arkhipova was third in the women's race in London. Edna Kiplagat of Kenya won the world title a year earlier.

Wales set for new motor racing circuit

Wales set for new 250m motor racing circuit to play host to MotoGP and Touring Car

|

UPDATED:

10:58 GMT, 15 August 2012

A new 250million motor racing circuit is being planned for south Wales by 2015.

It is hoped the 3.5-mile Circuit of Wales in Ebbw Vale, proposed by The Heads of the Valleys Development Company, will host MotoGP, World Superbikes, World Motocross and Touring Car.

The main circuit will be accompanied by an international kart track and motocross tracks, and as part of the plans the project will also include investment in industrial, commercial and leisure developments.

New home: The 3-5 mile circuit could play host to the British Touring Car championship

New home: The 3-5 mile circuit could play host to the British Touring Car championship

A race academy is also in the pipeline to develop young British and European elite riders and drivers.

The developers are looking to submit a planning application to Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council in late September or early October.

Michael Carrick, chief executive of The Heads of the Valleys Development Company, said: 'This is a major private sector-originated regeneration project in partnership with the local authority and the Welsh Government which will create significant job opportunities in a deprived part of the UK.

'We believe we have identified an outstanding site in Ebbw Vale, on the boundary of a national park and close to major population centres.

'The topography will allow us to create a unique, exciting, safe and stunning environment, which will offer an outstanding experience for competitors and spectators.

'We hope to finalise our detailed plans during this year and commence work on the development early next year with a view to being operational in 2015.'

Swansea want Albert Adomah

Swansea boss Laudrup plotting 3m swoop for Robins winger Adomah

|

UPDATED:

07:35 GMT, 9 July 2012

Swansea City have targeted Bristol City winger Albert Adomah as Michael Laudrup attempts to make his mark at the club.

The Ghanaian is rated at 3million after impressing for the struggling Championship side last season.

Swansea will attempt to agree a few this week to ensure they don't lose out on Adomah to a Premier League rival.

Wanted: Albert Adomah is a target for Premier League club Swansea

Wanted: Albert Adomah is a target for Premier League club Swansea

Laudrup has already missed out on Gylfi Sigurdsson after the Icelandic playmaker joined Tottenham after a loan spell at the Liberty Stadium.

The Dane sees 24-year-old Adomah as a potential replacement.

Comfortable on both flanks, was playing non-league football just four years ago with Harrow Borough, combining the sport with a couse in industrial painting at college.

He spent two years at Barnet before joining City in a 150,000 deal. He scored five times last season.

Meanwhile, Laudrup has received a boost after Swansea's pitches were declared ready for pre-season training.

Making his mark: Michael Laudrup is looking to add to his Swansea squad

Making his mark: Michael Laudrup is looking to add to his Swansea squad

The club had been using the facilities at nearby rugby club Ospreys but the players will return to their own pitches on Monday.

Laudrup is also set to complete deals for centre-back Chico and attacking midfielder Jonathan de Guzman.

But he does not believe wholesale changes are required.

'The philosophy of the club is the same as mine,' Laudrup said.

'Some of the exercises will be different from what the players will have done over the years – but overall it will be the same.'