Tag Archives: bayer

Image article-2255052-1696755B000005DC-482_468x309.jpg

Bayer Leverkusen keen to take Chelsea winger Marko Marin on loan

Leverkusen keen to take Chelsea winger Marin on loan for rest of the season

|

UPDATED:

22:45 GMT, 30 December 2012

Bayer Leverkusen are showing interest in Chelsea winger Marko Marin.

The Germany player is keen to go out on loan after a disappointing debut season at Stamford Bridge which has been dogged by injury.

The 23-year-old former Werder Bremen star has held talks with interim manager Rafa Benitez.

On the move: Chelsea winger Marko Marin is wanted by Bayer Leverkusen

On the move: Chelsea winger Marko Marin is wanted by Bayer Leverkusen

Image article-2226204-15B7291F000005DC-834_468x319.jpg

Dimitar Berbatov wants to play until 40

I want to carry on playing until I'm 40, reveals Fulham striker Berbatov

|

UPDATED:

12:13 GMT, 1 November 2012

Dimitar Berbatov has revealed that he hopes to defy convention and carry on playing for another nine years, taking him past his 40th birthday.

The Bulgarian has got off to a flying start at Craven Cottage, netting three goals in his first five Premier League games after joining the club from Manchester United in the summer.

New lease of life: Berbatov has started his Fulham career in fine form

New lease of life: Berbatov has started his Fulham career in fine form

40 rocks: Berbatov has vowed to play on

40 rocks: Berbatov has vowed to play on

Attacking players tend to retire earlier
than goalkeepers or defenders, but the 31-year-old Fulham striker has
always relied on guile over pace.

And he revealed: 'I’m not a keeper, Ryan Giggs or Paolo Maldini, but I want to play until I am 40.'

Berbatov has been playing in England for over six years. He joined Tottenham from Bayer Leverkusen in 2006 before leaving White Hart Lane for United in a 30million deal in 2008.

And although Berbatov endured a frustrating time in his final two seasons at Old Trafford, he revealed that his love of the English game means he hopes to remain on these shores for years to come.

He added: 'I want to play in England for several more years. I like England as a place. I like the mentality, culture and its football.'

Dimitar Berbatov "Fulham"s biggest ever signing"

Biggest ever! Jol pays tribute to Berbatov as Fulham boss pulls off major coup

|

UPDATED:

21:45 GMT, 30 August 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Fulham manager Martin Jol has hailed Dimitar Berbatov as the biggest signing in the club’s history.

Berbatov snubbed offers from Juventus and Fiorentina to join his former Tottenham boss in a 5million deal and lifted spirits at the club after the 15m sale of Mousa Dembele to Tottenham.

Short but sweet: Fulham have beaten Juventus and Fiorentina to Dimitar Berbatov

Short but sweet: Fulham have beaten Juventus and Fiorentina to Dimitar Berbatov

The Bulgarian has not played for
Manchester United this season and has not started a game since February
but he could be involved at West Ham on Saturday.

Jol said: ‘With good players you have to pay good money but we have made steps over the last couple of years.

‘There were a lot of clubs interested in Dimitar. We were able and capable of getting him and I’m not lying, he’s here.

‘I tried to do something months ago
and it didn’t come off and I came back. For him it was the right moment
to make a decision and he made that decision for us.

‘I’m very, very happy and I think our
fans will be very happy and proud because it’s probably the biggest
signing in the history of Fulham.’

Jol was Tottenham manager when
Berbatov arrived at White Hart Lane for 11m from Bayer Leverkusen in
2006 but had been sacked by the time the striker was sold to
Manchester United for 30m two years later.

‘In my final period at Spurs, I said,
“He will go over my dead body”,’ recalled Jol. ‘We had a good
relationship and he knows that he will enjoy his football here.
Hopefully, he can score his goals and we have other good players around
him.’

Reunited: Martin Jol signed Berbatov from Bayer Leverkusen for Spurs in 2006

Reunited: Martin Jol signed Berbatov from Bayer Leverkusen for Spurs in 2006

Berbatov’s decision to sign for
Fulham did not go down well with Fiorentina or Juventus, who both
believed they had struck agreements with the striker.

Juventus director general Beppe
Marotta said: ‘Berbatov certainly did not make a good impression on
anyone and it was an unprofessional way to behave, so we agree with
Fiorentina that it’s best he didn’t come here.’

Fulham are also keen to sign Sunderland’s 27-year-old midfielder Kieran Richardson.

Liverpool sign Samed Yesil

Liverpool seal 1m deal for Germany youth international Yesil from Leverkusen

|

UPDATED:

18:51 GMT, 30 August 2012

Liverpool have confirmed the signing of Bayer Leverkusen forward Samed Yesil in a deal worth 1million.

The 18-year-old German attacker, who has represented his country at U18, U17 and U16 levels, won the 'silver shoe' at the FIFA Under 17 World Cup where he bagged six goals.

Hotshot: Yesil banged in six goals at the U17 World Cup

Hotshot: Yesil banged in six goals at the U17 World Cup

Like new Liverpool recruit Nuri Sahin, he is Turkish born.

He told the club website: 'The first thing is that I have to train and
then in one or two years I hope, step by step, to be in the first team.
It is my dream to play for Liverpool and I will give my all.'

Brendan Rodgers: No room for complacency at Liverpool

No room for complacency, insists Rodgers after bright start to Liverpool career

|

UPDATED:

08:02 GMT, 13 August 2012

Fantasy football 2012

Brendan Rodgers insists he has plenty to prove at Liverpool despite an encouraging start to his Anfield reign.

The former Swansea boss watched his side beat Bayer Leverkusen 3-1 on Sunday to complete their pre-season campaign.

But Rodgers believes some fans remain unconvinced he is the man for the job.

Work to be done: Brendan Rodgers is in no mood to get complacent

Work to be done: Brendan Rodgers is in no mood to get complacent

‘I do feel at home but I will never be complacent,' he said.

‘I will come in and I’m sure the majority of supporters are still not sure about me.

‘I’ve got so much to prove here. I have got to fight for my life to prove I am good enough to be here. I feel comfortable in relation to my position and work on the field. My promise was to fight for the club every single day.

Easy does it: Liverpool ran out comfortable winners over Bayer Leverkusen

Easy does it: Liverpool ran out comfortable winners over Bayer Leverkusen

‘We’re in a good moment and a good position. We’ve had a terrific pre-season and we’ve already started our competitive games in the Europa League. We now arrive into the Barclays Premier League next week with a real strong mindset and hopefully that can continue.

‘Certainly, I am very, very pleased with where we’re at. The players have shown great determination and they want to learn. They’re very happy to work in this way.

‘I am delighted with where we’re at because I know the vision and where this leads too, and hopefully it will continue to improve.’

Image article-0-1483FCCB000005DC-305_634x500.jpg

Liverpool 3 Bayer Leverkusen 1

Liverpool 3 Bayer Leverkusen 1: Carroll shows his worth by rounding off tidy win

|

UPDATED:

16:31 GMT, 12 August 2012

Out-of-favour striker Andy Carroll capped a comfortable victory for Liverpool over Bayer Leverkusen in their final pre-season friendly before they kick off their Barclays' Premier League campaign.

It took just three minutes for the home side to break the deadlock at Anfield through youngster Raheem Sterling. The 17-year-old latched on to an incisive ball from Jose Enrique down the left before cutting inside to curl a shot into the bottom corner past Bernd Leno in the Leverkusen goal.

Still don't want me Andy Carroll fired home the third goal

Still don't want me Andy Carroll fired home the third goal

Liverpool's second of the match came on the 29th minute from a free-kick won by Luis Suarez who was brought down by Daniel Schwaab on the edge of the area.

The cleverly worked set piece found Suarez unmarked in the area, who got the ball stuck under his feet before it was deflected into the path of Lucas who side-footed home into an open goal from six yards out.

Back in business: Lucas Leiva celebrates his strike

Back in business: Lucas Leiva celebrates his strike

Young gun: Raheem Sterling opened the scoring

Young gun: Raheem Sterling opened the scoring

A goalkeeping blunder allowed Liverpool to get their third of the match on 65 minutes when Carroll turned nicely on the ball before firing a routine shot from outside the area goalwards that Leno fumbled into the back of the net.

The visitors snatched a consolation through Gonzalo Castro on 75 minutes when he shrugged off Jamie Carragher and unleashed a fierce left-footed shot that sailed past Pepe Reina in the Liverpool goal.

Up and over: Carroll heads over the bar

Up and over: Carroll heads over the bar

Image article-0-1465F3D6000005DC-761_468x286.jpg

Chelsea new bid for Victor Moses

Chelsea back in talks with Wigan in attempt to close out 10m Moses chase

|

UPDATED:

08:44 GMT, 7 August 2012

Chelsea have stepped up their chase for Victor Moses with a fresh approach for the Wigan forward.

Blues chief executive Ron Gourlay contacted Latics chairman Dave Whelan on Monday to discuss a new bid for the Nigeria striker.

Marseille president Vincent Labrune, meanwhile, has told L'Equipe his side have received a 'very serious' offer for Cesar Azpilicueta, with the Blues favourites to land the Spanish right-back.

In demand: Victor Moses (second left) in pre-season action against Real Mallorca

In demand: Victor Moses (second left) in pre-season action against Real Mallorca

Chelsea have already had three bids rejected for Moses, with Whelan holding out for 10million.

Moses has a year left on his contract but Wigan would be due compensation if he leaves next season given he is under 24.

He told ESPN: 'I have spoken to Chelsea's chief executive and they are easy to deal with.

'We have told them the price and they will come back and agree it or not.

'We would much prefer the player to sign a new contract and stay but he wants to go to Chelsea and it's a good club so we cannot stand in his way.'

On the move Spain defender Cesar Azpilicueta in action during the Olympics

On the move Spain defender Cesar Azpilicueta in action during the Olympics

Marseille sporting director Jose Anigo has already admitted the club may be forced to sell Azpilicueta to fund new signings.

Chelsea are also pondering a renewed bid for Bayer Leverkusen's Andre Schurrle having already spent almost 70m in recent months.

Image article-2171892-13D14DAF000005DC-519_468x442.jpg

Chelsea plot new Andre Schurrle bid but Daniel Sturridge could leave

Chelsea plot improved 20m bid for striker Schurrle… but Sturridge could be out

|

UPDATED:

09:06 GMT, 11 July 2012

Chelsea are planning a new 20million offer for Germany striker Andre Schurrle.

The European Champions had a 17m bid for the 21-year-old front-man rejected earlier this month by Bayer Leverkusen, who are adamant they want to keep their man.

But the Blues are preparing to test their resolve with another move, which if completed could see Daniel Sturridge leave Chelsea, according to The Telegraph.

On the shopping list: Schurrle is wanted by European champions Chelsea

On the shopping list: Schurrle is wanted by European champions Chelsea

Chelsea have already pulled off another transfer coup by clinching the signature of 25m Brazilian wonderkid Oscar, who can play as a forward, from under the noses of Tottenham.

The arrivals of Oscar and Schurrle would add to those of Eden Hazard and Marko Marin and put Sturridge's place under threat.

The England striker is recovering after contracting viral meningitis – typically considered a mild strain of the disease.

Uncertain future: Daniel Sturridge could find his place under threat

Uncertain future: Daniel Sturridge could find his place under threat

Schurrle joined Leverkusen from Mainz last year and has since established himself as one of the most exciting young talents in the Bundesliga.

He has won 16 caps for Germany and was a member of their Euro 2012 squad where he made two substitute appearance in the victories over Denmark and Greece.

VIDEO: Here's why Chelsea want to splash out on Schurrle

Image article-2170663-13D14DAF000005DC-114_468x442.jpg

Andre Schurrle: Chelsea fail with 17m bid

Chelsea fail with 17m bid to lure Leverkusen striker Schurrle to Stamford Bridge

|

UPDATED:

22:36 GMT, 8 July 2012

Chelsea have had a 17million bid for Bayer Leverkusen striker and Germany international Andre Schurrle rejected.

The 21-year-old joined Leverkusen from Mainz last year and has since established himself as one of the most exciting young talents in the Bundesliga.

He has won 16 caps for Germany and was a member of their Euro 2012 squad where he made two substitute appearance in the victories over Denmark and Greece.

Staying put: Schurrle was wanted by Chelsea who have had a bid rejected

Staying put: Schurrle was wanted by Chelsea who have had a bid rejected

Leverkusen chief executive officer
Wolfgang Holzhauser said: 'We have received a very concrete offer from
Chelsea for Andre Schurrle worth over €20m.

'Both clubs shoved figures back and forth for a while, but we eventually opted to hold on to Andre.'

VIDEO: here's why Chelsea wanted to splash the cash

Image article-0-13BE11D5000005DC-688_468x297.jpg

Euro 2012: Marco Reus and Andre Schurrle back Germany for glory

We don't care who we play: Reus and Schurrle back Germany for Euro 2012 success

|

UPDATED:

13:27 GMT, 23 June 2012

Germany forward Marco Reus believes the destiny of the Euro 2012 title is in his team's hands after their 4-2 demolition of Greece.

The way Joachim Low's side broke down a defensive Greece team to set a new world record of consecutive wins in competitive matches has given the Germans even more self-confidence and Reus, like his team-mates, is brimming with belief.

Fifteen wins in a row since losing in the semi-final of the 2010 World Cup have propelled Germany into the role of favourites, which Reus reckons is fully justified.

'The destiny of Euro 2012 is in our hands,' said the 23-year-old, who marked his first appearance in Poland and Ukraine with a goal in the quarter-final.

On target: Marco Reus hits Germany's fourth

On target: Marco Reus hits the fourth for Euro 2012 favourites Germany

'Our aim before the tournament was to win the title and we have improved game by game. Like I say, winning Euro 2012 is just down to us.'

Italy or England are up next for the Germans and Reus, who moves within the Bundesliga from Borussia Monchengladbach to defending champions Borussia Dortmund this summer, does not fear one over the other.

Instead, he feels their opponents should be more concerned about how strong Germany are at present.

'Personally I don't care who we play,' he said. 'We know that we are a strong team and we will be relaxed watching their quarter-final because we don't care – bring them on.

'England have improved a lot in this tournament and they now have an important player back with Wayne Rooney and they are an excellent team, but I feel we are a better team with better individuals.'

Looking ahead: Reus does not care who Germany face in the semi-final

Looking ahead: Reus does not care who Germany face in the semi-final

Bayer Leverkusen forward Andre Schurrle agreed that the focus should not be on who Germany face in the last four, but what they can achieve themselves this summer.

'If we perform to our best, then it is hard for any team against us, whether that be Italy or England,' he said.

'England are very defensive and compact in a 4-4-2 formation and they try to hit you on the counter, and now they have Rooney, who is very important to them.

'Italy have surprised me a little with very good attacking and they have created plenty of chances.

'Both have strengths and also weaknesses and we will try to capitalise. We always try to impose our own game, regardless of our opponents.'

On a high: Sami Khedira and Andre Schurrle celebrate Germany's second against Greece

On a high: Sami Khedira and Andre Schurrle celebrate Germany's second against Greece

Germany's strength in depth has been key at Euro 2012, with coach Low able to make three changes to his side against Greece and present arguably the most effective performance of the tournament so far.

Reus and Schurrle could find themselves back on the bench again in the semi-finals, but both are confident Low will find the right blend for their next opponents.

'The coach has faith in all of us to perform and that could be the ace in our pack,' Schurrle said.

'He is a very good coach and prepares us very well for games. He has a precise plan and philosophy, is very diligent and leaves nothing to chance. You can be successful with a coach like him and it is great to work with him.'

Precision: The methodical Joachim Low has steered Germany to the semi-finals at a canter

Precision: The methodical Joachim Low has steered Germany to the semi-finals at a canter

Success, after two third-place finishes and one runners-up berth in the last three major tournaments, appears to be something Germany are subscribed to and Schurrle expects them to keep living up to the expectations.

Those expectations are now to go one better than at Euro 2008 and get their hands on some silverware for the first time since 1996.

'We have reinforced our strengths and potential, won all our games and deservedly so,' 21-year-old Schurrle added. 'We are very self-confident and aim to get into the final and win it, and I think we have justified our favourites' billing.'