Tag Archives: ace

Oriol Romeu out for season with cruciate knee ligament damage

Heartbreak for Romeu as crocked Chelsea ace may be sidelined for rest of season

PUBLISHED:

21:40 GMT, 10 December 2012

|

UPDATED:

01:18 GMT, 11 December 2012

Chelsea have suffered a major blow with the news that Oriol Romeu is unlikely to play again this season.

The 21-year-old midfielder suffered suspected cruciate knee ligament damage in the win over Sunderland on Saturday and was replaced after just 20 minutes.

Blow: The Chelsea midfielder is unlikely to play again this season

Blow: The Chelsea midfielder is unlikely to play again this season

Blow: The Chelsea midfielder is unlikely to play again this season

And according to reports in Spain, he may not play again this term.

Romeu, who joined Chelsea from Barcelona in 2011, had started three of the west London club's last four games before his injury.

Spurs confident over Christian Eriksen transfer chase

Eriksen's contract snub raises Tottenham's hopes of signing Ajax ace in January

|

UPDATED:

13:11 GMT, 22 November 2012

Tottenham are increasingly hopeful they can lure Danish wonderkid Christian Eriksen to White Hart Lane in January.

The 20-year-old attacking midfielder, who turned down a chance to join Manchester City last year, is refusing to sign a new contract at Ajax.

In demand: Tottenham are tracking Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen

In demand: Tottenham are tracking Ajax midfielder Christian Eriksen

That has alerted a number of top clubs but Spurs are optimistic that a guarantee of regular first-team football will give them the advantage.

They are already expected to sign defender Toby Alderweireld from Ajax in the summer, but believe that a deal for Eriksen could be done in the January transfer window.

Southampton want Matt Phillips from Blackpool for 5.5m

Southampton set to raise the stakes in Phillips chase with 5.5m bid

|

UPDATED:

22:53 GMT, 21 November 2012

Southampton are ready to offer 5.5million to take Blackpool midfielder Matt Phillips in January.

Swansea City have also made an offer but that is understood to be around 3.5m.

The 21-year-old is out until late December after surgery on a torn toe muscle.

In demand: Blackpool winger Matt Phillips is wanted at Southampton and Swansea

In demand: Blackpool ace Matt Phillips is wanted at Southampton and Swansea

Mohamed Diame is wanted by Everton, Fulham and Newcastle

Everton and Newcastle are dazzled by West Ham ace Diame

PUBLISHED:

22:38 GMT, 13 November 2012

|

UPDATED:

22:38 GMT, 13 November 2012

West Ham midfielder Mohamed Diame is attracting interest from rival clubs just four months after signing on a free transfer from Wigan.

The 25-year-old is understood to have a clause in his contract that allows him to talk to other clubs if 7million is offered.

Under the Hammer: Everton and Newcastle are both interested in Diame

Under the Hammer: Everton and Newcastle are both interested in Diame

The Senegal star was outstanding against Newcastle on Sunday and Everton and Fulham are among his admirers.

West Ham are hoping to extend the trial of Chelsea striker Walter Figueira, 17, after he scored for their Under 18s against Arsenal at the weekend.

Ruud Gullit: Ditch Fernando Torres and sign Falcao

Ditch Torres and sign Falcao, says Gullit as former Chelsea boss hits out at 50m striker

|

UPDATED:

23:13 GMT, 13 November 2012

Chelsea have been urged to ditch flop Fernando Torres and replace him with Atletico Madrid sensation Falcao.

That is the firm view of former Chelsea manager Ruud Gullit, who has called on the club to end the 50m striker's Stamford Bridge hell.

He said: 'If he can't still do it at
Chelsea, then they are going to have to look somewhere else. I think
Falcao is a very good striker.

Radamel Falcao

Fernando Torres

Change: Gullit has urged Chelsea to part company with Torres and sign Falcao

'I said at the beginning of the season that Chelsea might need another striker but obviously they wanted to give Torres a chance. If he has taken it, I don't know.'

Torres, the most expensive player in British transfer record history, has scored just 19 times since his move from Liverpool in 2011.

He has seen his performances questioned amid speculation that the club are finally losing patience with him, with Roman Abramovich said to be keen on splashing out 48m on Atletico ace Falcao.

And Gullit, also a former player at Stamford Bridge, has questioned whether Torres has really taken the chances given to him by the club.

'What he did in the past with Atletico, and Liverpool especially, was unbelievable,' Gullit added. 'For some reason he can't do it at Chelsea, it's a mystery to me.'

Jimmy White meets Everton squad

Snooker ace White gets stuck in at Toffees training ground ahead of Ronnie showdown

|

UPDATED:

13:05 GMT, 18 October 2012

Pot the reds then screw back for the yellow, green, brown, blue, pink and Jags.

Everton went all snooker loopy on Thursday as legend Jimmy White dropped by their training complex at Finch Farm.

Right on cue: White poses for a picture with Leon Osman and Phil Jagielka on Thursday

Right on cue: White poses for a picture with Leon Osman and Phil Jagielka on Thursday

Pictured with Leon Osman and Phil
Jagielka (see what we've done with the intro, there), Chelsea-supporter White switched his allegiances for the day
ahead of next week's exhibition clash with Ronnie O'Sullivan.

The 50-year old will face four-time world champion O'Sullivan at the BT Convention Centre in Liverpool on Thursday.

Pablo Hernandez set for Stoke return after injury

Swansea ace Hernandez in line for Stoke return after limping off against Everton

|

UPDATED:

21:33 GMT, 24 September 2012

Swansea have been boosted by news that Pablo Hernandez's injury is not as bad as first feared.

The club-record signing limped off in Saturday's 3-0 home defeat to Everton with a knee problem but Swansea hope he will be fit for the trip to Stoke on Saturday.

Relief: Hernandez's injury is not as bad as first feared

Relief: Hernandez's injury is not as bad as first feared

London 2012 Paralympics: Tennis bronze for GB doubles

Doubles bronze for GB and Shuker and Whiley fight back in marathon match

|

UPDATED:

17:04 GMT, 7 September 2012

Great Britain's Lucy Shuker and Jordanne Whiley came from a set down to claim a bronze medal in the women's doubles wheelchair tennis with a marathon 6-7 (8/10), 7-6 (7/2), 6-3, win over Sakhorn Khanthasit and Ratana Techamaneewat.

The Thai pair had already dumped out the fourth seeds earlier in the draw, and they looked like taking care of the third seeds as well when they took the first set on a tie-break.

Medal marvels: GB's Jordanne Whiley (right) and Lucy Shuker won bronze in the wheelchair tennis

Medal marvels: GB's Jordanne Whiley (right) and Lucy Shuker won bronze in the wheelchair tennis

Shuker and Whiley clawed it back, though, edging a marathon second set which lasted 77 minutes.

The British pair then sealed the
decisive break to go 5-3 up in the third, and Shuker sealed victory –
and the bronze medal – with an ace after three hours and nine minutes.

The medal was Britain's second in
wheelchair tennis at London 2012 following Peter Norfolk and Andy
Lapthorne's silver in the quad doubles.

Emmanuel Frimpong set for Arsenal return

Boost for Arsenal as midfielder Frimpong closes in on return

|

UPDATED:

08:46 GMT, 6 September 2012

Emmanuel Frimpong could be available for selection by the end of this month after the Arsenal midfielder revealed he's closing in on a return to first-team training.

The news will come as a boost to manager Arsene Wenger who has been without the Ghana-born ace since he damaged his cruciate ligaments in February during a loan spell with Wolves.

Return: Frimpong could be available for selection by the end of the month

Return: Frimpong could be available for selection by the end of the month

'I will be back in full training with the squad on 17th on this month,' Frimpong said on Twitter.

'Two cruciate knee injuries couldn't end my career. It's been a long seven months.'

Frimpong made 14 appearances for Arsenal last term before sealing a loan move to Wolves. He then played four times for the Molineux outfit.

US OPEN 2012: Andy Murray beats Alex Bogomolov Jr

Murray opens Flushing Meadows campaign with straight-sets victory over Bogomolov Jr

|

UPDATED:

21:07 GMT, 27 August 2012

Andy Murray began his US Open campaign with a straight-sets win after seeing off the challenge from Russia's Alex Bogomolov Jr on Monday,

The British ace, in search of his first Grand Slam title, won 6-2, 6-4, 6-1.

More to follow…

Job done: Murray booked his place in the second round with a comfortable opening win on Monday

Job done: Murray booked his place in the second round with a comfortable opening win on Monday

.

Anguish: Bogomolov Jr was outclassed by the British No 1 at Flushing Meadows

Anguish: Bogomolov Jr was outclassed by the British No 1 at Flushing Meadows

.

Watching brief: Murray's girlfriend Kim Sears looks on during the Scot's first-round encounter

Watching brief: Murray's girlfriend Kim Sears looks on during the Scot's first-round encounter