St Helens 76 Oldham 0: Minnows crushed as rampant Saints run in 14 tries

St Helens 76 Oldham 0: Minnows crushed as rampant Saints run in 14 tries



21:28 GMT, 27 April 2012

Jonny Lomax led the way as Super League side St Helens strolled to a 14-try victory over Co-operative Championship One part-timers Oldham in the Carnegie Challenge Cup.

Lomax finished with 28 points following two tries and 10 goals for Saints, who led 38-0 at half-time.

Oldham, the only Championship One side left in the tournament, forfeited home advantage to attract a bigger crowd and had the consolation of a share of the 5,746 gate at Langtree Park.

Just getting started: St Helens' Paul Clough (left) scores his side's second try

Just getting started: St Helens' Paul Clough (left) scores his side's second try

Oldham's hopes of avoiding a crushing defeat were dealt a blow by the absence of veteran Graham Holroyd, who damaged his ankle on his debut against London Skolars last week.

The Roughyeds, who last beat Saints in a cup tie in 1943, were also missing Lucas Onyango, Paul Noone and Paul Smith.

It was a big night for Oldham duo Miles Greenwood and Mark McCully, who faced their former club.

Saints were without Anthony Laffranchi, Gary Wheeler, Ade Gardner, Josh Perry, Tony Puletua and Jon Wilkin with Tommy Makinson drafted on to the wing in place of teenager Adam Swift, who scored a hat-trick on his home debut against Widnes last week.

Joe Greenwood was the latest youngster to be handed his first appearance off the bench by acting coach Mike Rush.

Oldham's Jamie Acton, who is also a cage fighter, made his debut for the Championship outfit, who completed three sets of six from the kick-off before Saints touched the ball.

But Saints took the lead with their first attack after James Roby sent Lomax darting through a gap, although the scrum-half missed the straightforward conversion attempt.

Roby was the provider for Saints second try by Paul Clough – his first for 14 months – with Lomax on target to make it 10-0.

Oldham had their moments with Miles Greenwood and David Cookson prominent before Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook crashed over from 10 metres out after taking Roby's pass.

Lance Hohaia's kick into space brought Saints' fourth try for Josh Jones to stretch the lead to 22-0 midway through the first half.

St Helens' power and pace was always going to be a problem for Oldham, who failed to stop Sol Soliola from Lomax's pass to make it 28-0.

Miles Greenwood's spilled ball under pressure then led to Tommy Makinson touching down in the corner.

Paul Wellens became Saints' seventh different try scorer just before the break after cutting inside a tiring defence and Lomax slotted over the conversion to stretch the advantage to 38-0.

Oldham were down to 12 men soon after the restart when Jamie Dallimore was yellow-carded for a professional foul and Saints immediately extended the lead with Francis Meli going over in the corner.

Lomax added to Oldham's woes by booting the touchline conversion with Michael Shenton bursting on to Lomax's pass for the ninth try to make it 50-0.

Oldham only conceded two tries in Dallimore's absence but their line was breached again after 65 minutes when Wellens put Shaun Magennis over for his first try of the season.

Miles Greenwood came closest to scoring for Oldham before retiring injured.

Meli's second try came courtesy of a long Wellens pass with Lomax converting his second try to make it 68-0 with nine minutes left.

Saints still had time to add further touchdowns from Jones and Meli to complete his hat-trick.