Sochaux bid for Rangers" Maurice Edu

Ibrox no to 1m Edu bid… but Sochaux insist they are close to deal for midfielder

Rangers are bracing themselves for a third bid from Sochaux for Maurice Edu — after the Ibrox club rejected a 1million offer for the American international.

The French Ligue 1 side remain desperate to land the midfielder and are set to test the SPL champions’ resolve by moving closer to their 2m valuation of the player.

While their latest attempt to land Edu was again rebuffed — after an initial 575,000 deal was rejected out of hand last week — Sochaux are determined to land their top target.

Wanted man: Sochaux are desperate to sign Maurice Edu this January

Wanted man: Sochaux are desperate to sign Maurice Edu this January

Club
president Alexandre Lacombe said: ‘We made our bid and they (Rangers)
said: “No”. But we still haven’t given up. We have two deals that we are
working on at the moment.

‘The Edu deal is very close. We don’t believe we are far away from
Rangers’ valuation of the player and could have more talks in the next day to try to reach agreement.’

Assistant
coach Stephane Gilli added: ‘We think he (Edu) is a quality player. We
need him and we need him quickly.’ Rangers flatly turned down the second
offer yesterday for a player who arrived from MLS club Toronto in 2008
for 2.6m and is under contract until 2013.

Boss Ally McCoist has spoken of his desire to tie Edu to a long-term
deal and, after helping his side to victory at Arbroath in the Scottish
Cup on Sunday, the USA international declared himself content at Ibrox.

So far this season, Edu has made 25 appearances for Rangers, scoring twice.

However, with almost three weeks of the transfer window remaining and
finances tight at Ibrox, the club could yield if Sochaux up the ante
and give McCoist time to recycle at least part of any fee.

Despite Nikica Jelavic having being widely linked with a move to the
Premiership, Rangers have yet to receive a concrete bid for the Croatian
striker.

In the market: Ally McCoist could sign a striker during the January window

In the market: Ally McCoist could sign a striker during the January window

St Johnstone forward Francisco Sandaza is on McCoist’s wish list, along with Real Valladolid striker Javi Guerra.

McCoist believes there is no need for him to sell before buying, but
there is little doubt any cash raised from selling Edu — or other
players — would assist him in his bid to recruit a new striker,
regardless of whether Jelavic goes or not.

Speaking from Spain, Guerra, 29, insisted he was flattered
Rangers had expressed an interest in him and said the SPL champions had
been tracking him for some time.

The precarious financial position at Ibrox means a prospective 2m deal
is increasingly unlikely, but Guerra said: ‘I have known of Rangers’
interest, even from last year, and my agent confirmed it.

‘If such a team is interested in you, then that is important to me and I appreciate it.

‘But they must make a bid first and it has to be one that the club value.

‘I like the idea of their interest because it is very motivating for me.
But I am still here and I remain very comfortable at this club, too.’

Guerra was top scorer in the Spanish Second Division last term and hit a weekend hat-trick against Sabadelli.