Shrewsbury's promotion charge dented after fire forces Port Vale postponement
06:27 GMT, 28 March 2012
Shrewsbury dropped out of the automatic promotion places in League Two after their match against Port Vale was dramatically postponed due to an electrical fire.
James Collins gave Graham Turner's side a 50th minute lead but the match was halted 14 minutes later when smoke began billowing out of the East Stand at the Greenhous Meadow Stadium.
Supporters were evacuated when the floodlights failed in the Roland Wycherley Stand before firefighters rushed to the scene to attend a serious fire within the control room.
Up in smoke: Firefighters rushed to the scene to put out a fire in the control room at Shrewsbury's stadium
A stadium announcement declared the match could not go on 15 minutes later. Fortunately, nobody was hurt and the match will now be rescheduled for a later date.
'The initial reaction when the lights went out was that you see it all the time and that they'd soon be back on,' Shrewsbury striker Terry Gornell told BBC Radio Shropshire.
'You're in the game and you're not worrying about what's happening off the field.
'But, as soon as they started evacuating the stand, you knew there was slim chance of it carrying on.
'The main thing is nobody was hurt and it all went smoothly but we're in shock. We can't believe this has happened.
'It was one of our best performances of the season and we were playing some great football.'