Sinclair's contract talks halted but winger wants to stay at Swansea
21:30 GMT, 25 March 2012
Scott Sinclair's contract talks with Swansea City have been put on hold until the summer – but the winger has declared his intention to stay at the Liberty Stadium.
Manager Brendan Rodgers indicated earlier in March that discussions had started with the 22-year-old, who has drawn interest from Fulham and Liverpool during Swansea’s stunning debut season in the Barclays Premier League.
His current deal expires at the end of next season, but Sinclair insisted there is no rush to start negotiations.
Extension: Scott Sinclair wants to stay at the Liberty Stadium
He said: ‘We are going to wait until the end of the season and discuss it then. There are eight games to go and when we have played them we will talk.
‘I’m happy to be playing every week for a manager who believes in me and we will talk at the end of the season.’
Asked if his preference was to stay, Sinclair, who has resurrected his career in south Wales following his 1.5million move from Chelsea in 2010, said: ‘Definitely. The manager has brought me in, gave me a chance and that is all I can ask for.’
The former England Under 21 international endured one of his less satisfying afternoon’s during Swansea’s 2-0 defeat at home against Everton on Saturday.
Hold: But for now the contract talks are postponed
It brought an end to Swansea’s three-game winning streak and Sinclair believes the result should serve as a reality check to fans after last week’s 3-0 demolition of Fulham.
‘People expect that after we beat Fulham, and because we had a hell of a lot of possession, that we are going to do it every week,’ he said. ‘But that’s not going to be the case. Every game is different.’
Leon Britton, meanwhile, expects to sign a new deal at Swansea within the next week.
The 29-year-old, who has one year left on his contract, said: ‘We’ve been talking and it is literally done. I’m hoping that in the next week it’ll all get signed.’