Ricky Burns versus Miguel Vazquez cancelled

World champion Burns 'guttted' after unification title fight against Vazquez is called off

By
Martin Domin

PUBLISHED:

01:10 GMT, 4 March 2013

|

UPDATED:

08:07 GMT, 4 March 2013

Ricky Burns' world title unification fight against Miguel Vazquez is off.

The Scot was due to tackle the IBF lightweight champion at Wembley Arena on March 16 but the two parties were reportedly unable to agree terms.

Burns, the WBO belt holder, has not fought since he stopped Kevin Mitchell in Glasgow last September.

Disappointed: Ricky Burns' fight with Miguel Vazquez has been called off

Disappointed: Ricky Burns' fight with Miguel Vazquez has been called off

The 29-year-old was told the news by
promoter Frank Warren at the end of an already difficult week in which
super-middleweight George Groves split from his promotional outfit.

Burns tweeted: 'Absolutely gutted this fight ain't happening, another training camp n it's fell through! Not only that, feel sorry for the fans, my friends and family who have now booked tickets, flights and hotels for 2 fights for it to fall through. Sorry every1!'

His manager, Alex Morrison, told The Scottish Sun: 'While there is talk of it being rescheduled within 30 days, Ricky and I are very unhappy.'

Burns had been due to fight first Liam Walsh and then Jose Ocampo last December but both pulled out at short notice.

His fight with Vazquez was announced in January but last month the Mexican cast doubt over whether it would go ahead.

Switch: George Groves will announce his move to rival promoter Matchroom

Switch: George Groves will announce his move to rival promoter Matchroom

'There
is nothing concrete,' he said. 'I am waiting on the response from the
promoters. If they come to an agreement, there will be a fight.'

The news follows the shock defection of George Groves to rival promoter Eddie Hearn which is expected to be confirmed on Monday.

The super-middleweight was also due
to fight on the London card but will instead fight a week earlier at the
same venue on Matchroom's 'London's Finest' bill.

Of the three title fights scheduled for March 16, only Nathan Cleverly's mandatory defence against Robin Krasniqi remains.

A statement from Warren Promotions
confirmed: 'George Groves has withdrawn from the Wembley Arena show
promoted by Frank Warren on Saturday March 16.

Last man standing: Nathan Cleverly faces Robin Krasniqi on March 16

Last man standing: Nathan Cleverly faces Robin Krasniqi on March 16

'Groves was due to challenge for the vacant European super-middleweight title against Mohamed Ali Ndiaye that Mr. Warren won the purse bid for on January 11.

'Groves has stated that he is not interested in boxing for the EBU title at this moment and would like to take his choice of fights in another direction.

'Mr Warren would like to wish George all the best with his career and looks forward to working again with him in the near future.'

Dereck Chisora, the shamed
heavyweight who was stripped of his licence last year after brawling
with David Haye, was due to return on the same night but is yet to have his hearing with the British Boxing Board of Control.