Oscar looks so young, laughs Cole as 25m Brazilian finally joins Chelsea team-mates
15:29 GMT, 17 August 2012
Brazilian sensation Oscar linked up with his new Chelsea team-mates for the first time on Friday.
The 25million midfielder is one of the Blues' big summer signing after arriving from Sao Paulo.
His start at Chelsea was delayed because of his involvement at the Olympics with runners-up Brazil.
But he was finally introduced to his new colleagues during a session at Cobham ahead of Sunday's match away to Wigan.
Ashley Cole tweeted: 'Just met our new signing Oscar – wow he looks young but I'm sure he will do very well with us this season, good luck to him #cfc.'
I'm here now! Oscar (centre) enjoys himself during his first training session on Friday
Nice touch: Oscar had a chance to show off his skills after joining up with his team-mates
Meanwhile, Roberto di Matteo insisted Chelsea would not be held to ransom over their transfer targets as he considered blooding his latest signing in Sunday's Barclays Premier League opener.
The Blues travel to Wigan seemingly no closer to reaching an agreement with their opponents' chairman, Dave Whelan, over the transfer of Victor Moses.
Whelan this week accused Chelsea of 'messing about' over the fee for Moses, warning the 21-year-old was going nowhere unless his demands were met.
The Blues' business elsewhere may also have stalled, amid reports they have yet to agree a price for Porto forward Hulk or seal a deal for Marseille right-back Cesar Azpilicueta.
On top of that, they have had bids rejected for other targets as rival clubs have tried to eke the maximum return possible from a side bankrolled by billionaire owner Roman Abramovich.
But having already splashed out more than 60m this summer in an era of Financial Fair Play, Chelsea are not about to be bled dry during what remains of the transfer window.
Let's go: Chelsea boss Roberto Di Matteo directs his players during training
Di Matteo said: 'I think that goes for many teams, not just for us. We're not going to pay over the top. What we think is the real value for a player, we have paid.'
Di Matteo typically refused to be drawn on potential comings and goings at Stamford Bridge other than confirming: 'There won't be anybody coming in for Sunday.'
That means Chelsea coming face to face at the DW Stadium with a player who they want and who – it would appear – also wants to join them.
Di Matteo was at pains not to discuss Moses this afternoon before being pressed into doing so by virtue of the fact his side will have to try to stop the forward on Sunday.
'We've played against him before – we know very well what ability he has,' he said. 'He's a young, talented guy… that plays for Wigan.'
One Chelsea star who will soon be given a break following what has been a gruelling schedule is last season's player of the Year, Juan Mata.
The 24-year-old was part of Spain's European Championship and Olympic squads and Di Matteo has been looking into leaving him out completely at some point in the near future.
That will probably be once the Blues boss is satisfied the likes of Eden Hazard, Marko Marin and Oscar can fill the void.
Ready Ashley Cole posted this picture of Twitter with team-mate Juan Mata
Chelsea certainly have no shortage of options in attacking midfield – if only the same could be said about the striker department. Many expressed surprise they were not in the thick of the race to sign Robin van Persie.
But although Di Matteo refused to reveal if they had been interested, he cast doubt on whether the Holland star would make the difference between Manchester United winning the title and finishing behind arch-rivals City again.
'Personally, I still believe that Man City is the favourite because they haven't lost any key players,' he said. 'But, certainly, Van Persie is a good signing for United.'
Chelsea midfielder Raul Meireles is a target for Tottenham and Di Matteo refused to confirm whether the Portuguese was a key part of his plans, saying only: 'He's with us. He's going to be with us at the weekend.'
That weekend heralds the big kick-off in the Premier League and Di Matteo said: 'It's about time that we start now. All the players are looking forward to it now, and we are.'
The Chelsea boss has repeatedly spoken of the need to slash last season's 25-point gap to City and United but less about whether Abramovich expected the title itself.
He said: 'We have to try, for sure. It's not that we're not going to try. We have to try to challenge ourselves with the other teams, so I wouldn't say there is no expectation.'