Newcastle rule out January swoop for striker despite loss of hitman Ba
Star of the show: Demba Ba
Newcastle won”t enter the market for a new striker – despite Demba Ba”s imminent exit.
The Senegal hitman will link up with his country at the African Cup of Nations in the second week of January.
That will leave Newcastle, who have been heavily reliant on his goals this season, desperately short of options up front.
Ba,who signed on a free transfer from West Ham in the summer, has hit 14 goals in the Barclays Premier League this season as Newcastle flirt withthe top four.
But he is soon heading off for the tournament that runs from January 21 to February 12.
Boss Alan Pardew will be left with just Leon Best, Peter Lovenkrands and the Ameobi brothers Shola and Sammy.
Thenews will disappoint Toon supporters who are keen to see the club splash some of the 35million banked from the sale of No 9 Andy Carroll in the January transfer window.
Pardew revealed the club will not attempt to sign a striker after confirming the collapse of Modibo Maiga”s proposed move to Tyneside.
The Sochaux frontman was expected to complete a 6million transfer but the deal broke down before Christmas after a medical revealed uncertainty over one of his knees.
Pardew said: “I don”t think we will be bringing a striker in in this window after the collapse of Maiga, which we had put a lot of work into. As far as we are concerned, we will go with what we have got.”
No go: Modibo Maiga (right) saw his move to Newcastle collapse
Maiga had been in the Magpies” sights since last summer, and the collapse of that move was a huge disappointment for all concerned.
Asked if there was any chance it could be resurrected at a lower price, Pardew said: “It was not a strategy to do that from us, it was just unfortunate, and unfortunate for the player.
“You can imagine the player is probably more disappointed than anybody else, but these things happen and we will have to do a lot of work now between now and the summer to locate another striker.”
In the meantime, Newcastle will instead concentrate on trying to bring in a defender after Steven Taylor”s season was ended prematurely by an achilles injury.
Pardew said: “You have to pay over the odds in this window, everybody does, and you have to accept that if you are going to invest in this window, and we won”t in terms of a striker. We are looking at bringing maybe a defender in. We need to bring in a defender.”