MK Dons 1 QPR 1: Heidar Helguson rescues QPR

MK Dons 1 QPR 1: Helguson rescues Rs late on after Bowditch opener

Striker Heidar Helguson came off the bench to score the late goal which denied MK Dons an historic FA Cup win at stadiummk.

It looked as if Dons, the League One club who play such enterprising football, were going to cause an upset when Dean Bowditch deservedly fired them ahead.

The majority of the 19,506 record crowd were celebrating but Iceland's Helguson pounced on a defensive mix-up in the final minute of the match to earn a replay back at Loftus Road on January 17.

Opener: Dean Bowditch celebrates his strike

Opener: Dean Bowditch celebrates his strike


MK Dons: Martin, Smith, Shaun Williams, MacKenzie (Doumbe 46), Lewington, Chadwick, Gleeson, Potter, Bowditch, Ibehre, Daniel Powell. Subs not used: McLoughlin, Flanagan, O'Shea, Lobjoit, Alli, Collins.

Goal: Bowditch 65.

QPR: Cerny, Young, Gabbidon, Hall, Hill, Mackie, Derry (Buszaky 77), Faurlin, Smith, Macheda (Bothroyd 71), Campbell (Helguson 61). Subs not used: Murphy, Connolly, Andrade, Orr.

Goal: Helguson 89.

Referee: Michael Oliver.

Attendance: 19,506

That was tough on MK Dons who played all
the football, created the most chances and looked anything but 31
places below QPR on the footballing ladder.

MK Dons boss Karl Robinson is the youngest manager in the Football
League, a passionate one too as he proved on Monday when he was sent off
for an altercation with the referee during his side's win against
Colchester, an incident for which he claims he will accept whatever
punishment comes his way from the Football Association.

His team, however, have gained a reputation for free-flowing football
and are many people's favourites to gain promotion to the Championship
later this season.
They showed exactly why, particularly in a first half in which they
punched holes in a QPR defence missing Anton Ferdinand and Paddy Kenny.

True, QPR might have taken the lead after two minutes when the MK Dons
defence struggled to control a bobbling ball in the penalty area and DJ
Campbell almost latched on to the opportunity but instead saw his
would-be kick connect with fresh air.

Shock on the cards: Bowditch slides the ball past Clint Hill

Shock on the cards: Bowditch slides the ball past Clint Hill

Shock on the cards: Bowditch slides the ball past Clint Hill

But it was the Dons who settled to their pleasing rhythm quickest with
Darren Potter and Stephen Gleeson creative in midfield and Luke Chadwick
a constant threat up front.

Chadwick made 25 league appearances for Manchester United, scoring two
goals, before being let go by Sir Alex Ferguson. But Old Trafford fans
will remember his pace and his ability to excite and after nine minutes
his bobbling shot found its way into the QPR net only for Jabo Ibehre to
be ruled offside.

The League One side were swifter to the ball, more imaginative in their
approach play and Chadwick should have done better after 21 minutes when
Ibehre broke clear and outstripped the QPR defence.

Full house: Fans watch on at the stadium:mk

Full house: Fans watch on at the stadium:mk

He slid the ball inside to Chadwick, who had made a fine run from deep,
and it seemed he must score but his tame right-foot shot was gathered
easily by goalkeeper Redek Cerny.

Cup shocks rest on such incidents. There was another such moment when
home fans believed their side should have had a penalty, QPR defender
Clint Hill appearing to handle the ball in the box from a cross by
Daniel Powell but referee Michael Oliver waved away the appeals.

QPR had the occasional foray and Campbell prodded the ball into the Dons net but was ruled offside.

Equaliser: Helguson beats David Martin

Equaliser: Helguson beats David Martin

Campbell then proceeded to miss the easiest chance of the match after 53
minutes. This time Federico Macheda, on loan from Manchester United,
stole down the left flank and delivered a wonderful left-foot cross
which evaded Dons goalkeeper Martin, only for Campbell to send his
far-post header wide of the post from point-blank range.

It prompted QPR boss Neil Warnock to send on Helguson for Campbell on the hour mark

It was MK Dons, however, who opened the scoring three minutes later.

Relief: Rangers' blushes were spared

Relief: Rangers' blushes were spared

Shaun Williams crossed from the right and Helguson got into a tangle in
the area, allowing Bowditch to dispossess him and send a left-foot
strike past Redek Cerny into the net. It was no more than MK Dons

QPR suffered something of a late blow when Alejandro Faurlin was taken
off on a stretcher with what appeared a serious leg injury after
receiving lengthy treatment after 83 minutes.

Perhaps the delay upset the Dons. Whatever, there was a sting in the
tail with Helguson cashing in on a mix-up in the MK Dons defence to
slide the ball home for the equaliser after 88 minutes and earn a replay
which both sides could have done without.