Manchester United and Manchester City battle it out for Eden Hazard

United and City battle it out for Hazard as Lille confirm star will leave in summer

|

UPDATED:

21:30 GMT, 25 April 2012

Eden to Manchester: Hazard will leave in the summer

Eden to Manchester: Hazard will leave in the summer

Manchester United and Manchester City face another battle after Lille confirmed on Wednesday that Eden Hazard will leave France this summer.

Tottenham are also chasing the Belgian and will offer Sebastien Bassong and Giovani dos Santos as part of a package.

But Manchester remains his most likely destination, with England's top clubs ready to compete for the 30million-rated attacking midfielder.

Ferguson confirmed his interest in Hazard earlier this week after travelling to France to watch the 21-year-old, who has scored 109 goals in 142 games.

Lille president Michel Seydoux said: 'Eden wants a European experience outside France. We cannot hold him.'

Despite the emergence of Tom Cleverley, Ferguson has been in the market for an attacking midfielder since failing to sign Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder as a replacement for Paul Scholes last summer.

No guarantees: Scholes' future is undecided

No guarantees: Scholes' future is undecided

Scholes has helped propel United back into the title race after coming out of retirement in January, but he will be 38 in November and team-mate Rio Ferdinand concedes there are no guarantees the midfielder can be persuaded to play on.

'It would be nice if he could play another season,' said Ferdinand.

'With Scholesy, though, you know it doesn't make a difference what anybody else says. He's his own man and he'll make his own decision.'