Lamont Peterson appeals Amir Khan rematch decision by WBA

Peterson appeals WBA rematch verdict as 'man in the hat' breaks silence on Khan

Lamont Peterson has lodged 'a comprehensive written appeal' against the WBA's decision to order a rematch against Amir Khan.

The governing body last week confirmed they wanted Peterson to defend their light-welterweight title against Khan after he defeated the Englishman in controversial circumstances in his native Washington on December 10.

But Peterson, who will keep the IBF title regardless after Khan withdrew his appeal to that governing body, is ready to fight that judgement.

Mystery: The IBF were going to look at the role played by Mustafa Ameen (left)

Mystery: The IBF were going to look at the role played by Mustafa Ameen (left)

A statement from Team Peterson said: 'Although rumours have surfaced that we are now in negotiations for a Peterson vs Kahn rematch in Washington DC, at this time there are no open negotiations for this bout.

'The Peterson team's focus is on the WBA's decision mandating an immediate rematch.

'A comprehensive written appeal has been submitted to the WBA and we are confident that the WBA will overturn its decision mandating an immediate rematch and recognise Lamont Peterson as the true and final WBA Jr(light) Welterweight World Champion.'

Earlier on Wednesday the infamous 'man in the hat' at the centre of Khan's controversial defeat to Peterson has claimed he was correcting errors on the scorecards.

Mustafa Ameen's unexplained involvement at ringside recently became the latest in a line of complaints from Englishman Khan following his split decision loss in Washington, which saw the local fighter snatch his WBA and IBF light-welterweight titles.

Ameen had been unidentified at first
before being named by promoter Richard Schaefer of Golden Boy. The IBF
admitted he was loosely affiliated to them but insisted was not carrying
out any official duties on fight night.

Blow: Amir Khan (left) was beaten by Lamont Peterson in Washington

Blow: Amir Khan (left) was beaten by Lamont Peterson in Washington

Yet Ameen – who denies any wrongdoing – has admitted he did get involved with WBA supervisor Michael Welsh.

'I noticed one error and a subsequent error. I assisted him in correcting it without touching anything,' he told BBC Sport.

'I happened to look down, I believe at the end of the third round, I looked down and I saw Mr Welsh's score.

'I saw, I believe, it could have been nine, nine and nine – which is 27 all day long. There was an error. It might have been 26 or 28 but he was off by a point or two.

'I happened to look down and I said “Michael, nine times three is 27”. He said “oh my God” and corrected himself.

'And he said “I'm not feeling well this evening, thank you very much”.'

Khan
insists he still wants a rematch with Peterson despite dramatically
withdrawing his appeal against his controversial defeat.

The
International Boxing Federation announced just hours before the hearing
was scheduled to start in Newark, New Jersey that Khan’s team had
changed their minds.

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer later claimed that he felt Khan's side of the argument would not be heard.

Hitting back: Mustafa Ameen (left) claims he corrected scorecards

Hitting back: Mustafa Ameen (left) claims he corrected scorecards

'You have certain officials who were going to be there telling their side of the story, and you have others which were not going to be there, and I think that the bottom line is that that would result in a one-sided story, and I have shared my views on this particular subject with the IBF President Daryl Peoples a couple of weeks ago,' Schaefer told RingTV.

'I told him that if he was in fact going to have certain people there, and others not, then that does not sound to me as if there was a fully transparent meeting because only part of the story was going to to be told. So I to not see any reason to participate in such a process. That's basically what it is.

'It would have been a one-sided hearing where not all of the parties would have been there to tell the story. It would have been there to tell the story. It would have been a one-sided story. They were going to include only partial representation of the fight's officials at the proposed IBF hearing.

'So we feel that it makes no sense to
go forward, but to, instead, use the time and the energy to focus on
Amir's next fight. So we have decided to withdraw from the hearing and
to focus on Amir's next fight.'

A statement on Khan's official site said that his camp hoped a rematch could be agreed.

Change of heart: Khan had already arrived in New York for the hearing

Change of heart: Khan had already arrived in New York for the hearing

'Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan are pleased to have been vindicated
by the World Boxing Association’s (WBA) recent decision to mandate an
immediate rematch and still hope that Mr. Peterson will honor earlier
statements in which he asserted that he would be happy to agree to a
rematch.

'In that vein, Golden Boy Promotions and Team Khan would agree
to a 50/50 split of worldwide revenues derived from a rematch (including
those derived from the United Kingdom) should Mr. Peterson agree to
participate and hope that this will be both financially and
professionally satisfying to Mr. Peterson and his team.'

So-called 'mystery man' Ameen was due to
speak at the hearing. However, arguably the most credible witness was
not due to be present in Newark, New Jersey, with the IBF confirming
that Welsh was not going to be there to explain what Ameen was doing or
saying, because he is a representative of another governing body and
therefore not answerable to them.

The IBF said the request was made by attorney Arnold Joseph on behalf of Golden Boy Promotions.

'For now, it's off, and they've withdrawn the appeal. We do not know if they will want to do it over again.

'As of now, basically, what it means is that what was going to take place tomorrow is done.'

Disbelief: Khan has not accepted his defeat in Washington lying down

Disbelief: Khan has not accepted his defeat in Washington lying down

When asked if Peterson will remain the IBF titleholder, the organisation said: 'Absolutely.'

In
losing to Peterson, Khan relinquished both his IBF and WBA belts, but
the WBA last week ordered a rematch to take place within 180 days after
Khan’s claims of wrongdoing at ringside in Washington on December 10.

Khan complained to both the WBA and
IBF after losing his light-welterweight titles to Peterson in the
American's native Washington on December 10.

He highlighted several grievances,
chiefly referee Joe Cooper's deduction of two points, the judges'
scoring of the bout and the unexplained presence of 'mystery man'
Mustafa Ameen at ringside.

Khan, along with father Shah and
business manager Asif Vali, flew from Britain to the United States ahead of the hearing in Newark, New Jersey.

Khan's team has demanded answers to a
number of questions – not least what role Ameen played when interacting
with ringside officials.

One possible explanation for the withdrawal of the appeal could be that Golden Boy and Peterson's team have come to an agreement over a rematch between themselves.

That, however, would not explain why Khan's team are remaining silent on the matter. Neither they nor Golden Boy Promotions were answering calls on Tuesday night.