Long way to go: Root not resting on laurels after Rajkot win
11:07 GMT, 12 January 2013
12:04 GMT, 12 January 2013
Joe Root is confident England will not rest on their breakthrough success over India in yesterday's first one-day international.
England claimed a first 50-over win over India on their home soil in seven years, and 13 games, after securing a nine-run success in Rajkot.
The tourists had been whitewashed 5-0 in their previous two visits but, after a long-awaited Test success in the country last month, Root said the limited overs team would not get ahead of themselves in the five-match series.
Runs: Root was not required to bat in the first ODI as England racked up 325-4
'We all know how tough it is out here and there is still a long way to go in the series,' he told Sky Sports News.
'We are all up for it and ready to go for the second match (in Kochi on Tuesday).
'We are only concentrating on the next game and making sure we put in a good performance like we did in the first ODI. If we do that then we will be up there.'
Root was not required to bat on his ODI debut yesterday as England posted 325-4 on the back of a 158-run opening stand between Alastair Cook (75) and Ian Bell (85).
Partnership: Bell (85) and captain Cook (75) shared an opening stand of 158
The 22-year-old revealed he had begun the day expecting to come in at four but, after England's start, was shunted down the order.
It meant his nine handy overs of part-time spin – which conceded 51 runs – were his major contribution, although the Yorkshireman was hardly complaining.
'I was told I was going to bat four but the key to success everywhere is being able to adapt and we did that fantastically well yesterday,' he said.
'We're going to have to continue to do that throughout the tour if we are to be successful.
'I'm happy to play and be a part of it all so I'm not worried at all.'
We are unable to carry live pictures due to a dispute between the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) and international news organisations.
The BCCI has refused access to venues to established picture agencies Getty Images and Action Images and other Indian photographic agencies.
MailOnline consider this action to be a strike against press freedom and supports the action to boycott BCCI imagery.