New boss Zola facing a Hornets nest at Watford after Dyche sacking
22:14 GMT, 3 July 2012
Gianfranco Zola's first job as Watford boss will be to quell a player backlash after Sean Dyche was ruthlessly sacked on Tuesday.
The club’s new owners, the Pozzo family, have a verbal agreement with the Italian to take over at Vicarage Road after completing their takeover last week. Zola’s only other club managerial experience was a 21-month spell at West Ham.
Game over: Dyche has been sacked by Watford – despite a fine season
But, despite leading the Hornets to a top-half Championship finish last season on limited funds, Dyche, 41, was axed to make way for the former Chelsea star. Dyche’s sacking has been met with huge disappointment from several members of the club’s playing squad, angered by his treatment.
Back in the game: Zola has been out of football since leaving West Ham
The manager was a popular figure among the squad and several players were said to be infuriated by the decision to boot Dyche out of the club.
Bolton and Team GB striker Marvin Sordell, who worked under Dyche at Vicarage Road last season, said on Twitter: ‘I can’t believe Sean Dyche has been sacked by Watford. They have lost a very talented manager.’